is JETER a top 5 Yankee or a top 5 all-time SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: is JETER a top 5 Yankee or a top 5 all-time SS?

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not bad. I was thinking about Appling. Forgot about Vaughn. I think Ernie Banks is a no-brainer top five, but it's a good debate.

[/QUOTE]

The main problem ranking Banks at SS is that he actually played more games at 1st base. If we go by whole careers at any position I would have needed to rank ARod.:(

[/QUOTE]

Banks played about 1100 games at shortstop and gets ranked second by some.

This thread is 58 posts long and its about time that someone mentioned Robin Yount (1400 games at shortstop) as the most glaring omission...

[/QUOTE]

When I did my initial ranking, it was off the top of my head. I didn't rank Yount high because I knew he moved to CF. Didn't realize he actually played more games at SS than Banks.

I don't know if it makes a difference -- have to rethink my rankings -- but the points on Yount and Banks are certainly worth considering.

[/QUOTE]

It is easy to forget, but Yount has so many GP because he was the starting SS for the Brewers at age 18

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5. Derek Jeter 71.6 11968 6. Yogi Berra 59.4 8350 7. Bill Dickey 55.9 7064

That's what I was talking about.  

Dickey has 1 WAR per 126 PAs.

Yogi has 1 WAR per 141 PAs.

Jeter has 1 WAR per 167 PAs.

[/QUOTE]

Where Jeter ranks as a Yankee is another big question in my mind. 

The top 4 are etched in stone, song and story.  But that fifth spo has a few names, and somehow the only pitcher's name to ever arise in the discussion is Mariano.

FRom a popularity standpoint, Jeter haa huge advantage, but do not forget a lot of the great Yankee pitchers like Whitey Ford and the incredibly underrated tandem of Herb Pennock and Carl Mays (who were both nearly as significant Frazee sales as Ruth).  I rank these three ahead of most of the other greats like Gomez and Ruffing.

Why Jeter ahead of HOFers Ford and Pennock?  Or "Should Be HOF" Carl Mays?

I like the Dickey mention.  Also, do not forget some great middle infielders like Lazeri and Joe Gordon.  Unlike Jeter, Gordon won an MVP...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

really informative thread, i guess where Jeter stands is up the the individual making the determination, some/most of the posters here probably have a wider reference point than others, the top names as well as the Dickeys and the Berras already left/were leaving the game while i was growing up so my knowledge of them are admittedly through film/baseball cards etc.  but being a Yankee fan i've come to know their place/importance in Yaks history..hard to say where he will eventually rank, but i think it's safe to say that irt their individual team eras, Jeter is/was every bit as important to that team's fortunes..top 5 all/top 5 Yankee maybe not, but no less regarded when all is said and done...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The top 4 are etched in stone, song and story.  But that fifth spo has a few names, and somehow the only pitcher's name to ever arise in the discussion is Mariano.

FRom a popularity standpoint, Jeter haa huge advantage, but do not forget a lot of the great Yankee pitchers like Whitey Ford and the incredibly underrated tandem of Herb Pennock and Carl Mays (who were both nearly as significant Frazee sales as Ruth).  I rank these three ahead of most of the other greats like Gomez and Ruffing.

I like the Dickey mention.  Also, do not forget some great middle infielders like Lazeri and Joe Gordon.  Unlike Jeter, Gordon won an MVP...

[/QUOTE]

Good points

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

tim kirkjian said no the former but yes to the latter.. he pu homer wagner firt all time and another obscure al timer up there. he had jete at 6th allt ime yank with mo at 7th, with yogi ahead in 5th. i say yogi has to b bumped off for the jete. mo at 7th sees right. ruth-gehrig-dimaggio-mantle-jeter!

[/QUOTE]

Yogi Berra...

3 time AL MVP

13 time WS Champion

His WAR lists him as the greatest catcher of all time.

AL WS Champion Manager

NL WS Champion Manager

You're bumping this for Jeter's 3300 hits(10th all time) and 5 WS Championships?

How many MVP Awards has Jeter won?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  Yogi has to be ranked as one of the top 5 Yankees of all times.  He won the most world championships ever. 

http://sportslistoftheday.com/2011/05/24/major-league-baeball-top-20-players-with-the-most-world-series-rings/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

really informative thread, i guess where Jeter stands is up the the individual making the determination, some/most of the posters here probably have a wider reference point than others, the top names as well as the Dickeys and the Berras already left/were leaving the game while i was growing up so my knowledge of them are admittedly through film/baseball cards etc.  but being a Yankee fan i've come to know their place/importance in Yaks history..hard to say where he will eventually rank, but i think it's safe to say that irt their individual team eras, Jeter is/was every bit as important to that team's fortunes..top 5 all/top 5 Yankee maybe not, but no less regarded when all is said and done...

[/QUOTE]

With all the great players the Yankees have had, not cracking the top five his hardly a knock on him. It's like the Celtics. My top five in no particular order are Russell, Havlicek, Bird, McHale and Cousy. But then you look at the guys who didn't make the top five (again, no particular order) -- Sam Jones, Dave Cowens, Robert Parish, Paul Pierce, Tommy Heinson, JoJo White, etc. You could make a case for any of them being a top five player, then you get into the messy question on who do you drop.

Jeter certainly is good enough to be a top five player, but I can't see dropping Berra, who is the guy some are dropping.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to susan250's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

tim kirkjian said no the former but yes to the latter.. he pu homer wagner firt all time and another obscure al timer up there. he had jete at 6th allt ime yank with mo at 7th, with yogi ahead in 5th. i say yogi has to b bumped off for the jete. mo at 7th sees right. ruth-gehrig-dimaggio-mantle-jeter!

[/QUOTE]

Yogi Berra...

3 time AL MVP

13 time WS Champion

AL WS Champion Manager

NL WS Champion Manager

You're bumping this for Jeter's 3300 hits(10th all time) and 5 WS Championships?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  Yogi has to be ranked as one of the top 5 Yankees of all times.  He won the most world championships ever. 

http://sportslistoftheday.com/2011/05/24/major-league-baeball-top-20-players-with-the-most-world-series-rings/

[/QUOTE]

I always thought Yogi was a little overrated; my No 5 would be Rivera. I guess after that the next 5 would be Yogi, Jeter, Ford, Dickey, and Hoyt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i'm not well read on past greats of baseball so i feel overly underqualified to comment on his place in yankee and SS history but i will say this. Jeter probably isn't top 5 in either category (going on numbers i saw throughout the thread) but is easily top 10 in both. at the end of the day, is it really that bad? I mean, jeter was never an all time great defensively and certainly has been among the worst in the latter part of his career but his real value comes from his intangibles which are head and shoulders above anyone else i've ever seen play as well as his offense which in terms of hitting for contact is one of the best sticks in MLB history. also not too shabby.

at the end of the day, Jeter WILL go down as one of the best players of his generation. Especially if you don't value defense Tongue Out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Too bad the Sox have never had one as good."

Kind of classless to bring up this point during a Jeter tribute thread on a Red Sox forum. You could stand to be less antagonistic. 

ti's pretty good being a Sox fan of late, so your concerns aren't really needed or wanted. 

Besides, Nomar WAS better than Jeter. Albeit for about three months.

[/QUOTE]

Responding in kind to snarky remark about Jeter. Equally classless depending on the reader.

What 3 months was Nomar better than Jeter December to February?

[/QUOTE]

So sensitive.
    And then you come back with a snarky comment of your own.

Not being able to "come back and gloat, when the Sox get bounced out of the playoffs" must have really sucked for you.

Toughen up, cupcake...

[/QUOTE]

Mr. thin skin himself advising another poster to toughen up. 

Doesn't take a of lot to get you going rockie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If Jeter stays healthy this season he will surpass Honus Wagner as the SS all-time hit leader.

My take? All the love Jeter gets on this site with the game on the line I'll (take) a ball hit to Jeter.

[/QUOTE]

The operative word being "to", not "near".

[/QUOTE]

Too bad the Sox have never had one as good.

[/QUOTE]

Give it a rest Pop's.

[/QUOTE]

Great advice from someone who has been resting from birth living off of his grandparent's wealth.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

99 percent of baseball fans, baseball historians, the media, and talk show hosts, believe in all sincerity that Jeter will be a shoo-in into the HOF on the first ballot.

Only lifetime Yankee fans or baseball historians are qualified to assess if Jeter is a top 5 Yankee. This isn't a Yankee fan forum - it is a Red Sox forum.

Whether Jeter is a top 5 all-time SS would be a good topic on a Yankee forum in NYC but this is a Red Sox forum within the Boston Globe website that is in Boston, Mass. and not in NYC.

Why can't Bosox fans obsess about their team, their history, their organization, and start about such topics. Am I in the right forum?

[/QUOTE]

Because it's the off-season pike, there isn't much going on and most of the folks come here to discuss the game not subjects dictated by you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Top five all time SS? Dont make me laugh.

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't surprise me that the focus of Jeter's career on this site would be how he played defense dismissing GGs, top ten mlb hit leaders of all time, leadership, trips to the world series.

Just too funny but what you would expect.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Doesn't surprise me that the focus of Jeter's career on this site would be how he played defense dismissing GGs, top ten mlb hit leaders of all time, leadership, trips to the world series.

Turnabout is fair play, twm. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because Jeter is one one of the greatest hitters of all time.

Because if healthy this season Jeter passes the MLB SS hit leader of all time Honus Wagner.

After 2014 all-time SS hit leader Derek Jeter.

Gordan had a short career ended with less than 1600 hits less than half of what Jeter currently has.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Turnabout is fair play, twm. 

I agree fair but defense should not dictate his entire career. You have to look at the entire package, span of work.

I suppose he would be more popular if he juiced or got a few DWIs during his career or bad-mouthed other players or organizations.

On top of it all there isn't a better diplomat for the game of baseball to the young than Jeter.

The greatest 2nd baseman of all time Rogers Hornsby didi not play great defense.

It's the total package that counts.

Ozzie Smith over Jeter??? Ha ha ha.

Ozzie should be he played great D and did great flips in the infield but couldn't hit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Sour grapes pure and simple.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to susan250's comment:

Yogi Berra...

3 time AL MVP

13 time WS Champion

AL WS Champion Manager

NL WS Champion Manager

I always thought Yogi was a little overrated; my No 5 would be Rivera. I guess after that the next 5 would be Yogi, Jeter, Ford, Dickey, and Hoyt.

Dickey over Yogi??

And what moved you to believe Yogi was over rated? His 15 all-star game appearrances or being only one of  4 players to ever to win 3 MVPs?

Maybe it is his 10 world series championship rings which is more than any other player.

Or was it when he gave up his position behind the plate to go out to play left field for the good of the team without one complaint to allow Elston Howard to catch?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His career .828 OPS is an excellent number for a SS, but he's not even close to being "one of the greatest hitters of all time".

.828 is what Trot Nixon finished at. Id he one of the greatest?

Jete is about #300 in OPS all time in MLB. That's top 10%, but not "greatest".

Out of the 249 players listed on fangraphs best all time UZR players, jeter ranks #243. Only Bobby Abreu, Adam Dunn, Brad Hawpe, Bernie Williams, Jermaine Dye, and Manny Ramirez are worse.

UZR/150: Jeter is ranked 215th at -6.8. He's a bottom 10% fielder and top 10% hitter.

Looking at just SSs:

Out of the 44 SSs with 4000+ innings, Jeter ranks 39th in UZR/150.

Out of 72 SSs with 2000+ inniungs, Jeter ranks 64th. Pretty close to bottom 10%. (Note UZR/150 is a recent metric, so players from eras long ago are not included.)

Out of 542 SSs listed on fangraphs, Jeter placed 10th in OPS. That's top 2 %. Since 1974, there are 167 SSs with 2000+ PAs; Jeter ranks 5th in OPS. That's top 3%. Only ARod, Nomar, HanRam, and Tulo are better, with Larkin and John Valentin closest behind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WE are discussing Yogi instead of Carlton Fisk on a Red Sox forum? Why??????

[/QUOTE] perhaps because in relation to the thread subject Fisk neither played SS or played for the Yankees

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We're so obsessed with comparisons.  Jeter has had a phenomenal career, plain and simple.  He's an obvious first ballot HOF'er - what more needs to be said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We're so obsessed with comparisons.  Jeter has had a phenomenal career, plain and simple.  He's an obvious first ballot HOF'er - what more needs to be said.

[/QUOTE]

He's a rotten fielder?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

3316 hits.

There is one one playe in all of Sox history with 3k hits and that is Yaz.

Just to indicate how difficult it is.

Of course the greatest MLB hitter of all time TW spent time with the military to rob him of the honor.

And Jeter will have finished his career with one less season than current all-time SS hit leader Honus Wagner and more than likely the all-time MLB SS hit leader.

Jeter belongs in the MLB all-time top five and will be included there in the future there by all historians at one number or another in top 5 group is my guess.

This season he could pass Molitor,  Yaz, Wagner and Anson,  with 150 hits. 

Top ten all-time MLB hit leaders:

Rank Player (yrs, age) Hits Bats 1. Pete Rose (24) 4256 B 2. Ty Cobb+ (24) 4189 L 3. Hank Aaron+ (23) 3771 R 4. Stan Musial+ (22) 3630 L 5. Tris Speaker+ (22) 3514 L 6. Cap Anson+ (27) 3435 R 7. Honus Wagner+ (21) 3420 R 8. Carl Yastrzemski+ (23) 3419 L 9. Paul Molitor+ (21) 3319 R 10. Derek Jeter (19, 39) 3316 R 3315

[/QUOTE]

LOL @ the history lesson.

where shall we begin...?
    lower mound / lighter/stronger bats/ LL ballparks / water down pitching (see:  30 teams) / video / scouting

he is a numbers compiler.  nothing special or extraordinary.  for the last 10 years he hasn't even been the best SS on his own team, let alone all time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's a rotten fielder?

[/QUOTE]

I think you may have mentioned that. Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because if healthy this season Jeter passes the MLB SS hit leader of all time Honus Wagner.

After 2014 all-time SS hit leader Derek Jeter.

Gordan had a short career ended with less than 1600 hits less than half of what Jeter currently has.

[/QUOTE]

Passing Wagner in hits is merely a function of longevity.  Jeter is not close to Wagner as an overall hitter.

Sections
Shortcuts