IS JETER NOW IN THE TOP 10 OF THE 3000 HIT CLUB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: IS JETER NOW IN THE TOP 10 OF THE 3000 HIT CLUB?

Stanj Musial is rated on practically all of the greatest surveys as one of the 10 greatest players ever. Many claim he was as great as DiMaggio and Williams. Between '27 and '53, the Yankees won 14 WS and Lost 1. They Lost in '42 to the Musial Cardinals. He's 2nd in the NL in hits, and has a lifetime 335 BA, when averages were lower, and played until he was 42. He was also a doubles & triples machine, yet hit 475 HRs. He is worshipped in StL, and His nickname in rival Bklyn was "Stan the Man".

Other players who are clearly greater then Jeter that you claim are not as good (Besides the obvious) : Brett, Clemente, Speaker, Collins, Lajoie, Anson, Waner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

This is my list of the top five shortstops of all time:

1 Wagner
     2 Banks (he gets demolished by the likes of Gehrig, Foxx, and Pujols at first so I put him here)
     3 Ripken
     4 Jeter
     5 Ozzie

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: IS JETER NOW IN THE TOP 10 OF THE 3000 HIT CLUB?:
    [QUOTE] This is my list of the top five shortstops of all time:    1 Wagner  2 Banks (he gets demolished by the likes of Gehrig, Foxx, and Pujols at first so I put him here)  3 Ripken  4 Jeter  5 Ozzie
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]as a ss, i would put a-rod up there at 4 right behind jeter at 3. banks may be 5. viquel, ozzie, larkin.. all in that next group down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

At the rate Jeter is going, the 416 hits to overtake Yaz will take nearly 3 full seasons.

And it is doubtful Jeter can keep up even this pace.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Unfortunately COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN thinks baseball history started in 1975.

Derek Jeter and Tom Brady are NOT the greatest players who ever played in baseball and football.

The golden era of sports passed us by a long time ago. I am sorry you missed it. I caught the tail end of it, before expanding to every major city watered every sport down so that many players who are active today wouldn't even crack AAA rosters back in 1966 or 72.

Perhaps you should read up on greats like Sandy Koufax, Stan Musial, Ty Cobb , Gordie Howe, Sammy Baugh, Jim Brown, Dick Butkus etc.

You do know what books are , don't you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]At the rate Jeter is going, the 416 hits to overtake Yaz will take nearly 3 full seasons. And it is doubtful Jeter can keep up even this pace.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Sounds like wishful thinking; that's a whole 139 hits a season, and he was out 3 wks recently. Some think he could get to 4K Hits, but that's not realistic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Unfortunately COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN thinks baseball history started in 1975. Derek Jeter and Tom Brady are NOT the greatest players who ever played in baseball and football. The golden era of sports passed us by a long time ago. I am sorry you missed it. I caught the tail end of it, before expanding to every major city watered every sport down so that many players who are active today wouldn't even crack AAA rosters back in 1966 or 72. Perhaps you should read up on greats like Sandy Koufax, Stan Musial, Ty Cobb , Gordie Howe, Sammy Baugh, Jim Brown, Dick Butkus etc. You do know what books are , don't you?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Completely right; I'll bet many football fans today don't even know who Sammy Baugh is; IMO one of the 5 greatest QBS ever (along with Graham, Unitas, Montana, Brady ... OK and Peyton), who also just so happens to hold the single season punting record - 51.2, sometime before WWII. Considering athletes are supposedly much bigger & stronger now, with better equipment, that's saying something.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Clemente was transcendent, Musial likewise, both way beyond Jeter; Murray, Brett, Kaline, likewise above Jeter; Wagner, Speaker, Henderson, above Jeter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Clemente was transcendent, Musial likewise, both way beyond Jeter; Murray, Brett, Kaline, likewise above Jeter; Wagner, Speaker, Henderson, above Jeter.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]

Bob Ryan, BG Sportswriter, disagrees with Murray & Kaline/Henderson is iffy. See BG 10.0 (FWIW, Jeter's lifetime BA is far better than those 3) It's all subjective, anyway. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

"Sounds like wishful thinking; that's a whole 139 hits a season, and he was out 3 wks recently. Some think he could get to 4K Hits, but that's not realistic."

I don't think its wishful thinking.  139 hits for Jeter at age 38 is not going to be as easy as it was at age 28.  There is a reason so few have topped Yaztrezemski to date.

And while Jeter was slowed down by missing 3 weeks, are you going to insist than 37yo Derek Jeter is through with the Disabled List for his career?  He's closer to the point of not only visiting it more often than in years past, but also at the point where conditioning does very little to stop it.  He's actually already passed the age when many players see their skills disappear rapidly and without warning.  There are younger players in the league experiencing this right now.

I'd say his chances are a lot less than a lot of people think.  Doesn't mean he won't do it, but if you go to Vegas, take the under on 3,419....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]"Sounds like wishful thinking; that's a whole 139 hits a season, and he was out 3 wks recently. Some think he could get to 4K Hits, but that's not realistic." I don't think its wishful thinking.  139 hits for Jeter at age 38 is not going to be as easy as it was at age 28.  There is a reason so few have topped Yaztrezemski to date. And while Jeter was slowed down by missing 3 weeks, are you going to insist than 37yo Derek Jeter is through with the Disabled List for his career?  He's closer to the point of not only visiting it more often than in years past, but also at the point where conditioning does very little to stop it.  He's actually already passed the age when many players see their skills disappear rapidly and without warning.  There are younger players in the league experiencing this right now. I'd say his chances are a lot less than a lot of people think.  Doesn't mean he won't do it, but if you go to Vegas, take the under on 3,419....
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but some (and I think they're crazy) claim he could catch Rose! Regardless, it's not a safe bet IMO either way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to IS JETER NOW IN THE TOP 10 OF THE 3000 HIT CLUB?:
    [QUOTE]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,000_hit_club I've been down on jete but think he's in the top 12 of the 28 guys with 3000 hits with the opportunity to land firmly in the top 5 when his career is done in the next few years. in no particular order, will put him ahead of: paul molitor, craig biggio, eddie murray, yaz (please dont shoot the messenger), cap anson (whoever he was), eddie collins, nap lajoie, lou brock,  george brett, paul waner, robin yount, dave winfield, palmeiro (juice or not), boggs, kaline and clemente (gone too soon). kinda surprised me he would be that high. but jete is and has the chance to go even higher by the time he calls it a career. in time, he should be higher than gwynn (no rings, low visibility city), ripken (how many rings?), honus wagner, tris speaker, rickey henderson (quit on many eams , too streaky, not enough rings), and stan musial. i dont see him ever eclipsing mays, aaron, pete rose (strictly on the field), or ty cobb (again, just on the field)... 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Presently he's 2nd from the bottom.  Has no shot at reaching the top ten.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Nap Lajoie????????
    He was so far ahead of his time at 6'1' second baseman and was a hit machine. He had the size and tools to play today. 338 career hitter  Had a few season where he 350 plus and once hit 426 in a season.  Pride of Rhode Island

Why is everyone from the 2011 season best of all time last month you made the case Lebron james was better than Jordan

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]At the rate Jeter is going, the 416 hits to overtake Yaz will take nearly 3 full seasons. And it is doubtful Jeter can keep up even this pace.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]I AGREE. jete plays a demanding position. if he were pete rose and moved to first base or even second or DH, he would have a far better time. the next to get to 4k would be a pedroia type who could eventually move to first or dh and who doesnt get hit a lot or into a lot of collisions on the basepaths from stealing or being run into by base runners...perhaps a joe mauer had he skipped the whole catching thing totally and just played first base. no need to be a blazer but some speed helps so u get hits off dribblers. someone in the next 100 years will reach 4k hits, just not jeter!

also helps to have a nice lineup around u so guys can pitch to u for fear of the bigger bopper coming up behind u. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Derek Jeter will go down as one of the 10 greatest players to ever play the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Derek Jeter will go down as one of the 10 greatest players to ever play the game.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

If you mean it, I disagree. His own father said "He's no Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, or Mantle" and Mantle is commonly ranked around #17 to #20. Guys ranked much lower, like Brett or Boggs, are clearly better than him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IS JETER NOW IN THE TOP 10 OF THE 3000 HIT CLUB? : If you mean it, I disagree. His own father said "He's no Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, or Mantle" and Mantle is commonly ranked around #17 to #20. Guys ranked much lower, like Brett or Boggs, are clearly better than him.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    u expect his dad to say "he's clearly the greatest ever and deserves his own  special statue and shrine outside of yankee stadium separate from the others?" dont use what his dad says publically to make make flawed arguments to reinforce ur valid opinions and subjective points. its all relative and subjective whether we see jete as top 10 or not. we all agree he's in the top 50.. its about where to put him. like with dirk nowitski lately in the nba! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: IS JETER NOW IN THE TOP 10 OF THE 3000 HIT CLUB? : u expect his dad to say "he's clearly the greatest ever and deserves his own  special statue and shrine outside of yankee stadium separate from the others?" dont use what his dad says publically to make make flawed arguments to reinforce ur valid opinions and subjective points. its all relative and subjective whether we see jete as top qo or not. we all agree he's in the top 50.. its about where to put him. like with dirk nowitski lately in the nba! 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

That's about right, but many here wouldn't agree with this, in no small part due to the uniform he wears.