Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?

It's starting to look like he's one more guy who cashed in big on a career season.

The weird thing is how the new ballpark they built is practically designed to keep him from hitting home runs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?:
    [QUOTE]I would say that you are the most overrated poster here......except nobody actually thinks that highly of you aside from yourself.
    Posted by ()TheBabe()[/QUOTE]

Actually,  people do think highly of me.  You on the other hand...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ()TheBabe(). Show ()TheBabe()'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball? : Actually,  people do think highly of me.  You on the other hand...

Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

That might be the funniest thing you have ever posted in here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Cashing in on a career season?
    Try looking up Mauer's record!
    THREE time batting champion as a catcher, MVP, lieftime .324 hitter in 8 seasons. Three time Gold Glove. Four time Silver Slugger Award.
    Yeah, really overrated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Mauer is having a down year because of his injury that kept him out a lot of this season. He'll come back strong next season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Mauer is having a down year because of his injury that kept him out a lot of this season. He'll come back strong next season.
    Posted by bigpanther98[/QUOTE]

What about last year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think with Morneau unable to stay healthy you will see Mauer make the move to 1B, and the money not spent on extending JM will go to Minnesota acquiring a premium bat (which they sorely need). I do believe you will see Minnesota anti-up in a big way wether it be in 2012 or 2013 who can say.

I believe JM is signed through or up until 2014.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

No. Wakefield is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

No David Wright is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?:
    [QUOTE]Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Hard to say SoxPatCelts, Mauer seems quite different this season after a few stints on the DL.  I wonder if he's still hurt in some way but not telling his management staff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

To be honest, I'm rooting for him to have more great seasons.  I'm a baseball fan who doesn't think every great player has to play for the Sox.  I think the jury is still out on Joe Mauer. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Mauer did suffer with the move to the new ballpark. His production diminished.  Who knows why?  Wind currents? Different backdrop?  Seeing the ball differently? 

But he has also not seen as many good pitches since Justin Morneau has been out of the lineup. THe tandem of Mauer/Morneau was much like Papi/Manny- now that it has sort of broken up, and Morneau has been in a long rehab from concussion, Mauer has had a hard time adjusting. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DID NOT LOOK LIKE AN ALL STAR LAST NIGHT.......  CATCHING WILL TAKE IT'S TOLL ON THE BAT, SOOOONER RATHER THAN LATER !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not sure he's the most overrated but he is having a pretty down year so far and has a grand total of 1 HR in his new park since it opened last year.

He's never been a big power guy anyways and aside from 2009 the only year he hit more than 15 Hr's in his career he's been a solid 300-400-500-900 guy with gap power.

SEASON GP  ABRH2B3BHRRBIBBSOAVGOBPSLGOPS
    200435107183381 6 171114.308.369.570 .939
    2005131 48961144262 9 556164.294.372.411 .783
    2006140 5218618136413 847954.347.429.507 .936
    2007109 40662119273 7 605751.293.382.426 .808
    2008146 53698176314 9 858450.328.413.451 .864
    2009138 5239419130128 967663.365.444.5871.031
    2010137 51088167431 9 756553.327.402.469 .871
    201157 207245990 1 221928.285.349.343 .692
    Total893 32995311070 210 16 82 494 452 377.324.404.472 .876

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Seriously? Following off-season knee surgery, Mauer hitting .285 this year, which has dipped his career average to .324. He missed most of spring training and has been onthe DL a couple of times. He's obviously nowhere near 100 percent physically.

Remember those (Babe) who were saying the same thing about Pedroia a couple months into the season?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A couple of observations about Mauer;

1) He is a supreme defensive catcher; I've seen him make plays I've never seen another C make before

2) When he won his first of 3 batting titles, he was the first Catcher to do it in over 70 yrs

3) He's been hurt the last couple of yrs, and may not recover the incredible form he's had before

4)  I would be surprised if he's not a HOFer.

5) The new park is very tough for hitters, statistically harder then Citifield, Petco, or Safeco.

6) Apparently the OP thinks Salty is better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If your expecting or needing Joe to be your main offensive weapon your screwed. He doesn't even hit that many doubles let alone homers. This doesn't mean he isn't a key player to the Twins winning because he is indeed, but they need more. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The problem with Mauer (and his buddy Morneau) is they get injured far too often.  Both COULD be the best at their respective positions.

Mauer still has a chance to rebound and be the game's best catcher however, it is more likely he won't be behind the dish for more than a couple of more seasons.

Is he over-rated?  No.  No one is saying he is the best anymore but he was for a few years.

Same thing with Jeter.  He had the title for quite some time but even his most hard-core supporters are now ducking for cover.  Same thing with Drew.   Therefore, based on $$$$, the honor now goes to The Perfect Storm - aptly named for this example I might add.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Oh wow, Mitch ... you did not mention J.D. Drew and Derek Jeter in the same sentence, did you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

no, not in the same SENTENCE

both are highly over-rated so they do have that in common

both are more or less washed up - they also have that in common

both are highly overpaid - another fine commonality

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]To be honest, I'm rooting for him to have more great seasons.  I'm a baseball fan who doesn't think every great player has to play for the Sox.  I think the jury is still out on Joe Mauer. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Who needs a Joey when you've got a Jarrod?  Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

the short answer is no. the long answer is nooooooooo.
    he is coming off an injury. anyone who has ever played any type of sport on any level knows what it is like to come back from any injury and return to form. it takes a minute. btw, that is why there is often a trip through the minor leagues... to start to get a player up to speed.
    besides, a-rod is the most over-rated player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Perhaps Joe Mauer's 2011 season is his version of Jacoby Ellsbury's 2010 season.

Mauer, who is only five months older than Ellsbury, has been valued at 34.8 WAR* in 893 career games. Ellsbury has been valued at 13.8 WAR in 462 career games.

Ellsbury, who has been valued at 5.9 WAR this season, has an outside shot of reaching the career-high 7.9 WAR posted by Mauer as a 26-year-old in 2009.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1857&position=C
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4727&position=OF

Sections
Shortcuts