Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deroty. Show deroty's posts

Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?

In Response to Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?:
    [QUOTE]Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Who cares?  Don't you have anything to do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Mauer's 2011 is not reflective of his abilities. But then again neither was his 2009, which was what set the valuation for his current contract.

Many speculated at the time that Joe signed his 8 year - $184M deal that he had taken a huge discount to stay with his hometown team. And at the time Joe and his agent had to feel he was.

But then again it probably was quite wise to strike while the iron was hot and he had 1.000+ OPS. At best coming of of his 2010 season Joe was going to leverage a bidding war between NY and Boston who both would have been in on him for a similar contract. Certainly the terms would not have exceeded his current deal.

All that is to frame my answer to the question the OP raises and my answer is I suppose that is whose rating you are using. IMO Joe Mauer is a .800+ OPS hitter who has superb catching skills. He is an elite catcher having a down year. He wasn't a guy who was going to put up 1.000+ OPS every year and he is simply having a down year IMHO. Also 57 games is a very small sample set. How was Pedey doing 57 games into his season?

Just my takes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Will-Redd. Show Will-Redd's posts

Derek Jeter is probably the only Yankee I've liked since The Mick.  I would not have said this five years ago, but I think his bus has left.  I think he may be the most overrated player right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softybabe. Show softybabe's posts

how about carl crawford

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball?:
    [QUOTE]no, not in the same SENTENCE both are highly over-rated so they do have that in common both are more or less washed up - they also have that in common both are highly overpaid - another fine commonality
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]
    Well, I obviously disagree, and one of them will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball? : Well, I obviously disagree, and one of them will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

First-ballot hall of famer supports the over-rated argument, doesn't it?  Talent-wise, Jeter is Robbie Alomar without the defense - and Alomar was a second ballot hall of famer.

As for Mauer, his 2009 was the best year of his career, but his 2006 wasn't tremendously far behind.  At age 28, I'm not ready to say he'll never repeat his 2009 (park-adjusted).  But as a catcher, any one of his seasons prior to this year would be outstanding.  It's not like you can sign Albert Pujols and put him behind the plate - it's all about what you are getting in the position relative to what is around him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Alomar was much better than Jeter - defensively no comparison but unless Jeter had 500 Steals and a Success Rate of > 85% he couldn't hold a candle to Robbie on the base paths either........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Alomar had lot's of side issue which I think kept him from getting in 1st ballot but he probably should have.

It all depends what you all call over rated but I have hard time even as a RS fan saying that one of only 5 SS to ever get 3000 hits and to get all 3000 at SS is over rated.

Jeter is going to end his career with probably over 3500 hits. He has been a key guy on multi-WS teams. His defense may be over hyped by some, but he got that most out of his tool kit through out his career at SS. Has a long big play - big resume.

He will whether some like it or not be a first ballot HOFer. He was considered the third best SS a decade ago, he is the only one still playing SS of the three.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Of course Jeter is a first-balloter.  One of the best ever at his position.  .832 OPS for a SS, .850 OPS in the postseason. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He was never even best at his position for any given year; let alone a top player in the league.  In fact, is he even in the Top 3 best SS's in his own city today?

Right time, right place.

If Michael Young was with the yankees they'd be petitioning to get his face carved on Mt Rushmore

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

most overrated? Barry Zito

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]He was never even best at his position for any given year; let alone a top player in the league.  In fact, is he even in the Top 3 best SS's in his own city today? Right time, right place. If Michael Young was with the yankees they'd be petitioning to get his face carved on Mt Rushmore
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Well the HOF has always been largely influenced by longevity. And he has always been among the best year in, year out with the last two years (his 36th and 37th birthdays) his arguably not being among the best.

His 162 game averages show him to be a player who scored over 100 runs a year, 200 hits a year and .832 OPS.

If you don't think he should be a first ballot HOFer, prepared to be outraged 5 years after he retires.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Alomar had lot's of side issue which I think kept him from getting in 1st ballot but he probably should have. It all depends what you all call over rated but I have hard time even as a RS fan saying that one of only 5 SS to ever get 3000 hits and to get all 3000 at SS is over rated. Jeter is going to end his career with probably over 3500 hits. He has been a key guy on multi-WS teams. His defense may be over hyped by some, but he got that most out of his tool kit through out his career at SS. Has a long big play - big resume. He will whether some like it or not be a first ballot HOFer. He was considered the third best SS a decade ago, he is the only one still playing SS of the three.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

There's no doubt Jeter belongs in the Hall of Fame, but the comparisons should be to Alomar, Biggio & Molitor, rather than Ruth, Williams & Dimaggio.  Some people are predicting Jeter will be the first first-ballot unanimous HOFer - that's over-rated.  A lot of the argument for Jeter stems from opportunity - more offense around him means more PAs which means more hits.  More championship-caliber teams means more rings and more acclaim.  Give Alan Trammell the opportunities of Derek Jeter, and he's a first-ballot HOFer.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Doesn't Mauer have a muscle condition in his legs that causes weakness?  They were saying on NESN the Twins have to move him to another position, he won't be catching full time anymore.   That is an ouch.  He did earn the contract he got but won't give the Twins a good return on it.  

Don't shoot me for saying this, but he never did squat in the playoffs that I can remember.  Another Pujols.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball? :  I think Jeter's value as a SS (and player) was best exemplified in that play where he cut Shane Spencer's throw from right field off and nailed Jeremy Giambi at home plate in that playoff game against oakland. If memory serves me, the Yanks were down 2-0 in a 3 game playoff and came back to take the series. Like larry Bird, he had a sixth sense about his sport, and maxed his ability out. Didn't try to do more at the plate than the situation called for, and gave himself up throughout his career to move a runner over. But then he would hit a leadoff homer in the WS against the Mets because he knew they thought he  wouldn't be first pitch swinging.
    Posted by prknsdnld[/QUOTE]

And I think that play epitomizes how overrated he truly is.  Giambi should have SLID and it was Posada that was alert to hold his ground and apply a nice tag. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball? : And I think that play epitomizes how overrated he truly is.  Giambi should have SLID and it was Posada that was alert to hold his ground and apply a nice tag. 
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Glad to see it is not just JD Drew that you give no ground on.

Yeah Giambi blew it because there was no way he anticipated that the SS was going to go get that throw or have presence of mind and the athleticism to make that play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

One the key things players must always do is to ANTICIPATE

Did you see Dave Roberts score the tying run in G5 of the 04 ALCS?

Did you see that there was NO THROW to the plate.

And did you see that Roberts still slid?

You always ANTICIPATE A PLAY and you never take anything for granted.

I'd bet you a small fortune that even Jeter, if he's honest, would have to admit that Giambi should have slid and if he slides, that play is never discussed again.......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

[QUOTE]I think with Morneau unable to stay healthy you will see Mauer make the move to 1B, and the money not spent on extending JM will go to Minnesota acquiring a premium bat (which they sorely need). I do believe you will see Minnesota anti-up in a big way wether it be in 2012 or 2013 who can say. I believe JM is signed through or up until 2014.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
     Morneau has had a grand total of 2 injuries in the last 7 years... besides, who would be idiotic enough to move Mauer to first? The Twins need him behind the plate. Besides, Morneau is a premium bat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jeremy Giambi once platooned with David Ortiz....that didn't end well either for Jason's Not So Powerful Brother.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Joe Mauer the most overrated player in baseball? : There's no doubt Jeter belongs in the Hall of Fame, but the comparisons should be to Alomar, Biggio & Molitor, rather than Ruth, Williams & Dimaggio.  Some people are predicting Jeter will be the first first-ballot unanimous HOFer - that's over-rated.  A lot of the argument for Jeter stems from opportunity - more offense around him means more PAs which means more hits.  More championship-caliber teams means more rings and more acclaim.  Give Alan Trammell the opportunities of Derek Jeter, and he's a first-ballot HOFer.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Dear Clueless & Chronic Yankee Hater,

Trammell's BA .285 (In a hitter's park)
    Jeter         BA .312 (In a tough park for righties)

It's only a 27 point difference, LOL.

The Only HOF SSs with a higher lifetime Avg were Honus Wagner (.328) & Arky Vaughan (.318)

Thank You

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Powerful?

Well, Jeremy played for the Sox and never developed into a power hitter like his brother Jason.

While Jason played for the yankees and was a notorious steroid user.

Nuff said really.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Powerful? Well, Jeremy played for the Sox and never developed into a power hitter like his brother Jason. While Jason played for the yankees and was a notorious steroid user. Nuff said really.......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Since he didn't listen to his brother, it's too bad Jeremy didn't play for the Sox when Ortiz did; he could have enlightened him.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]One the key things players must always do is to ANTICIPATE Did you see Dave Roberts score the tying run in G5 of the 04 ALCS? Did you see that there was NO THROW to the plate. And did you see that Roberts still slid? You always ANTICIPATE A PLAY and you never take anything for granted. I'd bet you a small fortune that even Jeter, if he's honest, would have to admit that Giambi should have slid and if he slides, that play is never discussed again.......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]Well if we want to go really deep, it was Art Howe's mistake perhaps. When Giambi got on, he thought about putting in a pinch runner but opted to wait to do that only if Giambi got into scoring position.

Of course the play would never be talked about again if Giambi slid, no doubt about it. It still would have been a remarkable but unnoticed play that SS anticipated the flight of the ball, left his cutoff position and went all the way to the foul side of 1B and had the anticipation to see he had have to no look flip the ball to the catcher and that the flip was right on the money.

By your standard Dwight Evan's Game 6 catch was over rated. 

Sections
Shortcuts