Is Lester a Choker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Is Lester a Choker?

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, as it sounds as if I'm bashing Lester.  I guess you can say I am, although I do like Lester.

But hasn't he choked when the Sox needed him most?  He didn't pitch well the last time they were in the playoffs, and last year when they were in the playoff hunt, he went out and lost his last 4 starts, helping put the playoffs out of reach for the Sox.  Although last night was not a must win, they needed that win to stay in first place and again, he pitched a stinker. 

Beckett didn't pitch great the other night, but without his best stuff he came up with some clutch pitches and still gave the team a chance to win.  Lester, not so much.

I'm really disappointed in Lester.  Hopefully he can turn it around.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Is Lester a Choker?

Lesters record would indicate that hes better than he has been. He has not been incredibly sharp all year IMO..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

when he doest throw strikes, he's in trouble.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the guy beat Cancer...everything else is gravy for him...and for me too to be honest...he's an inspiration

this wasnt exactly a big game yesterday...was it really a choke???

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and last year when they were in the playoff hunt, he went out and lost his last 4 starts, helping put the playoffs out of reach for the Sox. 

What numbers are you looking at?

Lester won 6 of his last 7 starts last year. In the 3 games before his last start he let up 1 ER in 22 IP.

(By the way, Tito had "packed it in" long before those last 4 starts.)

The Sox won 8 of Jon's last 9 starts in 2009.
    The Sox won 4 of Jon's lats 5 starts in 2008.
    The Sox won 7 of Jon's last 9 starts in 2007.

Jon has a 2.57 ERAand 1.12 WHIP  in the postseason.

He is known as a second half pitcher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker?:
    ...and last year when they were in the playoff hunt, he went out and lost his last 4 starts, helping put the playoffs out of reach for the Sox.  What numbers are you looking at? Lester won 6 of his last 7 starts last year. In the 3 games before his last start he let up 1 ER in 22 IP. (By the way, Tito had "packed it in" long before those last 4 starts.) The Sox won 8 of Jon's last 9 starts in 2009. The Sox won 4 of Jon's lats 5 starts in 2008. The Sox won 7 of Jon's last 9 starts in 2007. Jon has a 2.57 ERAand 1.12 WHIP  in the postseason. He is known as a second half pitcher.
    Posted by moonslav59

Maybe it was his last 4 starts before the playoffs was out of reach, but I know he lost 4 starts in a row when the Sox needed wins to try to make the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I THINK THAT HE LET'S THE UMPIRES GET TO HIM.  IF HE IS NOT GETTING THE CORNERS, THEN HE IS IN TROUBLE !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : Maybe it was his last 4 starts before the playoffs was out of reach, but I know he lost 4 starts in a row when the Sox needed wins to try to make the playoffs.
    Posted by cpjohn1

By that logic, any time any pitcher loses 4 consecutive starts at any point in the season, they are also a "choker".

It doesn't matter if the Sox are up by 2 games, or tied for first on May 31st, in no way was this a big game for the team.  Let's not forget that 2 of the runs scored an a perfectly placed bloop hit, while another 2 were allowed to score after Wheeler came in.  This was the 2nd most pitches Lester has ever thrown in a professional game, it's understandable he would tire by the end.  I liked Tito giving him a chance to get out of his own mess though, especially considering Wheeler was coming in who has been shaky at best this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He is solid but this is why Beckett has re-claimed team Ace status, as Josh is a dominating pitcher in the biggest of big games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

the guy beat Cancer...everything else is gravy for him...and for me too to be honest...he's an inspiration this wasnt exactly a big game yesterday...was it really a choke???
    Posted by georom4

Amen, geo. Plus, let's not forget who the winning pitcher of the '07 World Series clincher was.
    He had a bad day yesterday, but let's not go overboard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

I think his ERA is somewhere around 5.50 for the month of May.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

5.40, to be precise. Giving up 7 ER in 5.2 will do that. But in no way is he a "choker."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

5.40, to be precise. Giving up 7 ER in 5.2 will do that. But in no way is he a "choker."

Posted by LloydDobler

Never said he was a choker, he just ain't getting it done. He's no Bartolo Colon!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Is Lester a Choker?:
    I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, as it sounds as if I'm bashing Lester.  I guess you can say I am, although I do like Lester. But hasn't he choked when the Sox needed him most?  He didn't pitch well the last time they were in the playoffs, and last year when they were in the playoff hunt, he went out and lost his last 4 starts, helping put the playoffs out of reach for the Sox.  Although last night was not a must win, they needed that win to stay in first place and again, he pitched a stinker.  Beckett didn't pitch great the other night, but without his best stuff he came up with some clutch pitches and still gave the team a chance to win.  Lester, not so much. I'm really disappointed in Lester.  Hopefully he can turn it around.
    Posted by cpjohn1

Lester is 15 and 2 for his career in September.  I guess that's all that really needs to be said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : Never said he was a choker, he just ain't getting it done. He's no Bartolo Colon!!
    Posted by --The---Babe-1

That's funny! How far do you think castoffs like Colon & Garcia will take you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : That's funny! How far do you think castoffs like Colon & Garcia will take you?

Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Who knows, but I can't complain so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I don't think he is a choker.  Some of the posts here indicate that.  But, something is wrong somewhere with him.  Over his last 5 starts he has pitched a total of just 29 innings, giving up 35 hits and 21 runs in just those 29 innings pitched.

This goes beyond a bad start or two.  Wonder what the problem is.  The easy answer is just mechanics.  But, for an ace to have "mechanic problems" for this long now has to make you wonder some.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : That's funny! How far do you think castoffs like Colon & Garcia will take you?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

To be fair, they've already taken them further than the Brad Penny/Smoltzy castoff backend took the Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : Who knows, but I can't complain so far.
    Posted by --The---Babe-1

No disrespect intended, I have to admit I'm impressed & surprised with the production the Yanks have gotten out of them. Especially Colon, he pitched a gem of a game last night. Wish he would have pitched like that for the Sox when they had him a few years ago.Lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Tito is finally addressing the elephant in the room with Lester. Lack of command and over dependence on his cutter.  Time for Lester to shut up and listen to his manager and pitching coach.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : To be fair, they've already taken them further than the Brad Penny/Smoltzy castoff backend took the Sox.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Totally agree Spaceman, Smoltz might have been one of the biggest failures in Sox history. Felt bad for him getting lit up in almost every start he made for the Sox. Penny is what he is. 5 or 6 innings at best. Why couldn't Colon pitch like this for the Sox?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : No disrespect intended, I have to admit I'm impressed & surprised with the production the Yanks have gotten out of them. Especially Colon, he pitched a gem of a game last night. Wish he would have pitched like that for the Sox when they had him a few years ago.Lol

Posted by jpBsSoxFan

None taken. Colon has been quite impressive. I really like the 62K/15BB ratio.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Going through a rough patch is simply that - going through a rough patch.

It's terrible when a player can't be perfect all the time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

the guy beat Cancer...everything else is gravy for him...and for me too to be honest...he's an inspiration this wasnt exactly a big game yesterday...was it really a choke???
    Posted by georom4

It was great that he beat cancer, but what does that have to do with why he isn't getting it done on the mound?

Sections
Shortcuts