Is Lester a Choker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickDesper. Show RickDesper's posts

Re: Is Lester a Choker?

Don't confuse "controversial" with "idiotic".

Is Lester a "choker"?  I don't know, how did he do in the World Series?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : It was great that he beat cancer, but what does that have to do with why he isn't getting it done on the mound?
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]
    Nothing. But losing a game in late May doesn't make him a choker any more than winning his previous start (six shutout innings at Cleveland) makes him clutch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to Is Lester a Choker?:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, as it sounds as if I'm bashing Lester.  I guess you can say I am, although I do like Lester. But hasn't he choked when the Sox needed him most?  He didn't pitch well the last time they were in the playoffs, and last year when they were in the playoff hunt, he went out and lost his last 4 starts, helping put the playoffs out of reach for the Sox.  Although last night was not a must win, they needed that win to stay in first place and again, he pitched a stinker.  Beckett didn't pitch great the other night, but without his best stuff he came up with some clutch pitches and still gave the team a chance to win.  Lester, not so much. I'm really disappointed in Lester.  Hopefully he can turn it around.

You will get blasted for this because it's sheer idiocy. 

Game four, 2007 World Series.  'Nuff said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]...and last year when they were in the playoff hunt, he went out and lost his last 4 starts, helping put the playoffs out of reach for the Sox.  What numbers are you looking at? Lester won 6 of his last 7 starts last year. In the 3 games before his last start he let up 1 ER in 22 IP. (By the way, Tito had "packed it in" long before those last 4 starts.) The Sox won 8 of Jon's last 9 starts in 2009. The Sox won 4 of Jon's lats 5 starts in 2008. The Sox won 7 of Jon's last 9 starts in 2007. Jon has a 2.57 ERAand 1.12 WHIP  in the postseason. He is known as a second half pitcher.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

And that is why I think his start has been phenominal bad will happen and from what I can remember without looking at stats he usually rebounds from a loss strongly.

I dont like to praise them when they win and bash them when they lose yesterday had its ups and downs like every game just hope they rebound today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : Totally agree Spaceman, Smoltz might have been one of the biggest failures in Sox history. Felt bad for him getting lit up in almost every start he made for the Sox. Penny is what he is. 5 or 6 innings at best. Why couldn't Colon pitch like this for the Sox?
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Probably because he had not yet had "experimental surgery"... "experimental" being the latest euphimism for suspect medical procedures involving HGH, stem cells, and reintroducing bodily fluids into different parts of the body.

Sounds eerily similar to the "horse treatment" method undergone by A-Rod and others up in Canadia.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Calling him a choker is unfair. I will say that he seems to lack the mound presence and self-confidence that Beckett has. Buch has it,too. Sort of the " eye of the tiger " , if you will. I would like to see Jon show some of that.  He surely has great stuff but sometimes the command is not there and he seems to  get discouraged.  His body language on the mound is not that of an in-charge , dominant ace.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : Probably because he had not yet had "experimental surgery"... "experimental" being the latest euphimism for suspect medical procedures involving HGH, stem cells, and reintroducing bodily fluids into different parts of the body. Sounds eerily similar to the "horse treatment" method undergone by A-Rod and others up in Canadia.

Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

Kinda like the milkshakes in the DR that big sloppy likes to drink.

And where exactly is Canadia?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : Maybe it was his last 4 starts before the playoffs was out of reach, but I know he lost 4 starts in a row when the Sox needed wins to try to make the playoffs.
    He did lose four in a row in late July, but the Sox scored a combined nine runs in those four games.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

He seems to have lost the "ace" gloss for the moment and I think he's intimidated by the Yanks, but if Lester is a choker (good grief!), he can still pitch for my MFYs anytime he wants.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, as it sounds as if I'm bashing Lester.  I guess you can say I am, although I do like Lester. But hasn't he choked when the Sox needed him most?  He didn't pitch well the last time they were in the playoffs, and last year when they were in the playoff hunt, he went out and lost his last 4 starts, helping put the playoffs out of reach for the Sox.  Although last night was not a must win, they needed that win to stay in first place and again, he pitched a stinker.  Beckett didn't pitch great the other night, but without his best stuff he came up with some clutch pitches and still gave the team a chance to win.  Lester, not so much. I'm really disappointed in Lester.  Hopefully he can turn it around.

Before he lost last night, he had the highest winning percentage in MLB history (pitchers with more than 50 wins), so it is hard to say he is a choker. He has been terrible lately, and I agree with other posters who suggest it might be something wrong with his mechanics.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : No disrespect intended, I have to admit I'm impressed & surprised with the production the Yanks have gotten out of them. Especially Colon, he pitched a gem of a game last night. Wish he would have pitched like that for the Sox when they had him a few years ago.Lol
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

He hadn't had that controversial stem-cell surgery yet. Whether HGH was onvolved or not, we'll probably never know, but you gotta admit - it seems to be working. How long it lasts - we'll have to wait and see.

BTW, regarding the title of this thread - how does a fairly meaningless home game against the White Sox in May (with the team in 1st place regardless of the outcome) qualify for choke status if the pitcher has a bad game?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The---Babe-1. Show --The---Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : He hadn't had that controversial stem-cell surgery yet. Whether HGH was onvolved or not, we'll probably never know, but you gotta admit - it seems to be working. How long it lasts - we'll have to wait and see. BTW, regarding the title of this thread - how does a fairly meaningless home game against the White Sox in May (with the team in 1st place regardless of the outcome) qualify for choke status if the pitcher has a bad game?

Posted by CORRADJ[/QUOTE]

No, the red flops are in second place.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : No, the red flops are in second place. http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings
    Posted by --The---Babe-1[/QUOTE]

Those of us who actually know baseball recognize that they are in a "virtual tie" for first place. Don't get cute.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

People love his poise but I guess they stop watching once he gets knocked around a little........No poise......and he ain't no ace.......when he grows up he'll be great.......until then.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think he is a choker.  Some of the posts here indicate that.  But, something is wrong somewhere with him.  Over his last 5 starts he has pitched a total of just 29 innings, giving up 35 hits and 21 runs in just those 29 innings pitched. This goes beyond a bad start or two.  Wonder what the problem is.  The easy answer is just mechanics.  But, for an ace to have "mechanic problems" for this long now has to make you wonder some.
    Posted by sjddaj[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what i was saying in my earlier post..Something isnt right somewhere, but his record doesnt indicate that. hes def not a choker..No way..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

forget his record....look at the guy once things start going bad for him....his bad language etc and then look at what usually happens - more bad stuff......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

[QUOTE]forget his record....look at the guy once things start going bad for him....his bad language etc and then look at what usually happens - more bad stuff......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never watched Beckett pitch - yelling at the batter if he doesn't run around the bases fast enough after a HR, yelling at the ump if he doesn't throw him a new ball quickly enough after a HR, etc. You're reading way too much into this.

The way I look at it - Lester is usually terrible in April. This year he was great in April and terrible in May, he simply flipped months. Let's keep in mind that Lester had the highest winning % of all time heading into his last start. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i have no ideas what this thread is all about considering the guy's record and personal history....f'n amazing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Lester's career winning pct: .716 ( 68 wins and 27 losses.)  If not the best ever after 50 starts, then still pretty close.

And let's not be reading body language.  He gets frustrated at times, but saying he doesn't have the look of an ace or "eye of the tiger" or whatever, to me, is quite silly.  People were saying the same about Buchholz a few years ago, but now that he's winning, they no longer do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]i have no ideas what this thread is all about considering the guy's record and personal history....f'n amazing
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I'll tell ya what this thread is all about. It's about UPjohn with his head up his...

Another of a long line on his knee-JERK posts. No research from this clown, ever.
    Look at Lester's record in Sept. Look at his winning pct. To call Jon Lester a choke shows the thread auther's idiocy, pure and simple.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lester a Choker? : I'll tell ya what this thread is all about. It's about UPjohn with his head up his... Another of a long line on his knee-JERK posts. No research from this clown, ever. Look at Lester's record in Sept. Look at his winning pct. To call Jon Lester a choke shows the thread auther's idiocy, pure and simple.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Wow, now I'm a jerk and a clown because I started a thread you don't like?  And I don't have a "long line" of threads, as I don't start that many threads.  This is one of very few that I've started.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's not a matter of liking it or disliking it. It's a matter of starting this thread impulsively, without bothering to research Lester. If he gets the final out yesterday and the Sox go on to win, do you still call him a choker? Is your definition of choker based on one pitch? One out?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-Lester has a 2.57 ERA in the playoffs including the WS win.

2-He's only lost 27 games in his career.  Even if every one of them was a choke job, that's only a handful a year.

3-As someone mentioned, he is 16-3 in September.

4-In our division, he is 38-9.

5-Against our 2nd nemesis, TBR, he is 9-4, and against our chief nemesis, he is 7-1.

Put it all together, he is probably the best clutch pitcher in BB right now.

Oh, I forgot he just lost a game.  Scratch all that-he stinks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So he is a choker because he lost a game that dropped them in a first place tie on May 30?  Tell me again, what post-season seeding does a team in first place in late May lock up?

And calling that team last year in the playoff hunt is a bit of a reach.  They played ridiculously well given the amount of injuries they had, but in the end, trying to make the post season without Youkilis, Pedroia, and Ellsbury and with Beckett injured and ineffective, and with losing significant time from Martinez and many others were all much bigger factors than any 4 game stretch from a starting pitcher.

The real problem is fan expectation.  They label far too many games as “must win”, even when they try to tell you they don’t.  This team is going to lose at least 40% of its games, and some of those will be started by Lester.  Deal with it…

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

A choker is a necklace, or a Yankee player in the 2004 ALCS.

Sections
Shortcuts