Is Lester Hurt?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Is Lester Hurt?

Before the break the Red Sox made of point of setting up the rotation so that two lefties (Doubront and Lester) would pitch against the Yankees. Now Lester's start has been pushed back to Tuesday to give him more rest. Hmmmm. Has he not pitched in over a week? How much rest does he need?

He must have some kind of injury. Watch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Is Lester Hurt?

In response to ADG's comment:

Before the break the Red Sox made of point of setting up the rotation so that two lefties (Doubront and Lester) would pitch against the Yankees. Now Lester's start has been pushed back to Tuesday to give him more rest. Hmmmm. Has he not pitched in over a week? How much rest does he need?

He must have some kind of injury. Watch.

It does not sound good. Dempster vs. Sabathia is not what you want to see. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We'll know on Tuesday.  Never a dull moment...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Jon Lester will not make his scheduled start Sunday against the Yankees.

Lester isn't injured, the Red Sox are just looking to get him some extra rest following the All-Star break. Ryan Dempster will start in his place.     Source:  Ian Browne on Twitter Jul 20 - 1:30 PM  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Lester isn't injured, the Red Sox are just looking to get him some extra rest following the All-Star break. Ryan Dempster will start in his place.     Source:  Ian Browne on TwitterJul 20 - 1:30 PM  

That is what they are saying. Just like Buchholz' injury and how they didn't put him on the DL right away, and Bailey, who didn't pitch the last game before the break, though he should have...if he wasn't injured.

Lester has something going on. They just don't want to say.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lester isn't injured, the Red Sox are just looking to get him some extra rest following the All-Star break. Ryan Dempster will start in his place.     Source:  Ian Browne on TwitterJul 20 - 1:30 PM  

That is what they are saying. Just like Buchholz' injury and how they didn't put him on the DL right away, and Bailey, who didn't pitch the last game before the break, though he should have...if he wasn't injured.

Lester has something going on. They just don't want to say.

[/QUOTE]

I'll make you a tag bet he starts next week.  Interested?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I dont think so. Sounds like theyre just trying to give him some extra rest. That being said, time will tell. He gets lit up a few more times, and Id begin to think so. If we go Dumpster diving tommorow night, we're in trouble. If that happens, look for a 1-3 series--or worse--following against TB. Dont even want to think about Baltimore without Buch, and with this pen.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If Jon pitches poorly in his next start, we will hear that he had too much rest. Wasn't sharp. A little rusty.

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

If Jon pitches poorly in his next start, we will hear that he had too much rest. Wasn't sharp. A little rusty.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Yeah, but the ball was coming out of his hand really well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Rest? So he has been pitching poorly for more than a month, just came off the all*star break, and now needs more rest? Nah. It might not be serious but is something more than needing rest.

But if it was something not serious but needing more than rest, more than rest is what hed be getting, and I doubt theyd totally hide it. Could be a non baseball related thing, family matter, whatever. If he was being pushed back because of an injury they would say so, even though they might try to minimize it for competitive purposes. I think he may be trying to juggle the rotation for some reason we dont understand. A lot depends on whether we see Dempster or Dumpster tommorow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Rest? So he has been pitching poorly for more than a month, just came off the all*star break, and now needs more rest? Nah. It might not be serious but is something more than needing rest.

But if it was something not serious but needing more than rest, more than rest is what hed be getting, and I doubt theyd totally hide it. Could be a non baseball related thing, family matter, whatever. If he was being pushed back because of an injury they would say so, even though they might try to minimize it for competitive purposes. I think he may be trying to juggle the rotation for some reason we dont understand. A lot depends on whether we see Dempster or Dumpster tommorow.

[/QUOTE]

There is no logical reason why they would want Dempster pitching against the Yankees if Lester was ready. Our chances of winning tomorrow night are diminished with Dempster on the hill.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox don't disclose injuries. Remember when Bailey didn't pitch the last game before the break? Uehara came in a non-save situation and pitched two innings. Matt Thornton faced 4 righties in extra innings, but no Bailey? I suspected something but no one else did. And now he will have shoulder surgery.

Lester shouldn't need extra rest. He last pitched last Saturday and too much rest isn't good. It's obvious he's hurting, but we don't know how yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

And, the Red Sox and Farrell made it very clear when they set their after All Star break rotation that they wanted two lefties against the Yankees and that Doubront would pitch the first game and Lester the third. Well, now they are backing away from that comment about two lefties against the Yankees. Why?

Something is wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they hide it? They hid the Bailey situation last weekend and now he has two torn shoulder muscles/ligaments.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox don't disclose injuries. Remember when Bailey didn't pitch the last game before the break? Uehara came in a non-save situation and pitched two innings. Matt Thornton faced 4 righties in extra innings, but no Bailey? I suspected something but no one else did. And now he will have shoulder surgery.

Lester shouldn't need extra rest. He last pitched last Saturday and too much rest isn't good. It's obvious he's hurting, but we don't know how yet.

[/QUOTE]

But heres the enigma. Lester wasnt removed from the staff or put on the DL, he was moved to Tuesday. If they scratch him again Tuesday, then Id say theres someting wrong. Farrell may be remembering what we're forgetting as fans. That is, in the pig picture the Yankees basically suck, and the Rays are the real threat for the time being. That could be why they moved him. But like I said, wait and see: 1. If he gets moved back again, and 2. If he pitches ok Tusday. Hes been respectable his last two times out. You guys are posting like its 2007 and we're fighting NY. The one thing that worries me is that Lester has traditionally pitched better against NY than TB, so if Farrell is trying to pull a fast one it may backfire.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they hide it? They hid the Bailey situation last weekend and now he has two torn shoulder muscles/ligaments.

[/QUOTE]

They "hid" it until they knew what was wrong, then dl'd him. Lester has not been dl'd yet. There is no reason to say hes going Tuesday if there was something as drastic as Bailey going on. And if it was someting like "tightness in his lower back" they would say so. My gosh, theyve done that a hundred times. They didnt come out on Bailey because it was serious, and wanted to get it right before announcing it. Bottom line is, I dont trust Jon Lester healthy or injured, and wouldnt be too surprised if he gets rocked Tuesday even though hes in perfect health.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But heres the enigma. Lester wasnt removed from the staff or put on the DL, he was moved to Tuesday. If they scratch him again Tuesday, then Id say theres someting wrong. Farrell may be remembering what we're forgetting as fans. That is, in the pig picture the Yankees basically suck, and the Rays are the real threat for the time being. That could be why they moved him. But like I said, wait and see: 1. If he gets moved back again, and 2. If he pitches ok Tusday. Hes been respectable his last two times out. You guys are posting like its 2007 and we're fighting NY. The one thing that worries me is that Lester has traditionally pitched better against NY than TB, so if Farrell is trying to pull a fast one it may backfire.

[/QUOTE]

Lefties are more successful against the Yankees. The Yankees will have some of their injured players returning before too long.  Their pitching is very good. It would be a mistake to underestimate them. The Sox played dismally today and lost to a bunch of scrubs. To drop two out of three to them at home would be disappointing. We had a chance to bury them this weekend. The Rays and Baltimore are also dangerous, but each win counts the same in the standings. I think we are giving the Yankees a break by pitching Dempster. Maybe I am wrong and he will outpitch Sabathia , but I think we lowered our chances of winning this series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lefties are more successful against the Yankees. The Yankees will have some of their injured players returning before too long.  Their pitching is very good. It would be a mistake to underestimate them. The Sox played dismally today and lost to a bunch of scrubs. To drop two out of three to them at home would be disappointing. We had a chance to bury them this weekend. The Rays and Baltimore are also dangerous, but each win counts the same in the standings. I think we are giving the Yankees a break by pitching Dempster. Maybe I am wrong and he will outpitch Sabathia , but I think we lowered our chances of winning this series.

[/QUOTE]

Thats what i posted on chatzy during the game. This loss today was huge because it sets up the chance of losing the series. The Sox were sloppy today on the bases and on D. Sabathia is like Weaver. Hes been mediocre its true, but when the lights come on, guys like that tend to step it up. Thats what scares me, and Dempster or Dumpster is a very small fulcrum point to be relying on in the big game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i give up trying to figure out injuries on this team - phantom ones, hidden sometimes, out of nowhere, some lingering for seasons...my new motto is I believe you will play when i see you in the game

As always - 100% correct!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i give up trying to figure out injuries on this team - phantom ones, hidden sometimes, out of nowhere, some lingering for seasons...my new motto is I believe you will play when i see you in the game

As always - 100% correct!

Words of wisdom. You win first prize for post of the day.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

They "hid" it until they knew what was wrong, then dl'd him. Lester has not been dl'd yet. There is no reason to say hes going Tuesday if there was something as drastic as Bailey going on. And if it was someting like "tightness in his lower back" they would say so. My gosh, theyve done that a hundred times. They didnt come out on Bailey because it was serious, and wanted to get it right before announcing it. Bottom line is, I dont trust Jon Lester healthy or injured, and wouldnt be too surprised if he gets rocked Tuesday even though hes in perfect health.

Yup, I doubt they'd be starting him Tuesday if something was seriously wrong.  There is nothing in his pitch count or his history to suggest something is wrong.  There is always a possibility that his arm just fell off, and they are covering it up until they make a trade, but someone is starting on sunday and on Tuesday.  It isn't like he's missing a start and it isn't like he came out of a game early.

My hypothesis is-

1-He has 125.2 IPs, while Dempster, Lackey, and Doubront are between 105-110.  Perhaps they would like to lessen the differential.

2-Perhaps they are starting to feel a bit more comfortable with their playoff expectations, and would prefer to see a slightly less worn-down Lester in October.

3-Perhaps they see the 2nd place Rays, 2.5 back, as being a bigger threat than the NYY, being 7 back.

4-Perhaps they decided a week ago that, if they beat the NYY in the first game of the series, they'd flip Dempster and Lester to face the more proximate threat.

Question-Does anyone see the NYY as a bigger threat than the Rays?  And, if not, does it not make more sense to start Lester v the Rays than the Yankees?