Is Lowrie Hurt?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NH27. Show NH27's posts

Is Lowrie Hurt?

Lost in all the attention being paid to PD's knee and his lagging BA is the fact that Lowrie has lost his mojo of late. A couple weeks ago (in Cleveland I think)  he made a diving effort to his left and rolled his left wrist.  He immediately grimmaced and threw his glove to the ground, it looked bad.  Since then his bat has lost it's pop and he is batting an anemic .148 in June.  He has also dropped some balls that normally he would have fielded.  I can understand his not wanting to mention it, he just won he SS position for the second time from Scutaro, but he doesn't look like the Jed Williams of a month ago and I'm afraid it might be more than the usual return to earth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Re: Is Lowrie Hurt?

I think it would be hard to hide an injury from the team.

If he is injured and hiding it, it's probably because he doesn't want softy to find out he is hurt. Injuries to certain players are not tolerated.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

triple against the yanks in the big inning, just a little funk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Uh, yeah, he has an injury. His left shoulder has been aching him, and he had an MRI done on this past Wednesday. There was no structural damage, so he's more hurting than injured, but it's obviously something that's bothering him. It kept him out of two straight games last week.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Thanks for opening the door for Mr. Softee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Lowrie was born hurt..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Who loves ya, baby?

NOOBODY ON THIS GROUP !! ESPECIALLY ME.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Yes, he's got an oblique strain from having to carry a 200 pound softlaw gorilla on his back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Lowrie is one of those bench players that the more they play the more their exposed he just isn't an every day player not to mention how fragile he is

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Re: Is Lowrie Hurt?:
    [QUOTE]triple against the yanks in the big inning, just a little funk
    Posted by nickarcese[/QUOTE]

Just a little funk? His career average is .261. His start to the season was completely out of character. Hes an average hitter at besrt and a below average SS. Lately he's been butchering the SS position. Lowrie is an o.k. second string player but no more or less. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

As Lowrie plays more, his fragile physical and mental consttitution are exposed to reveal exactly what his career metric averages say he is. He is truly a butcher in the field with very little range, weak v. RHP, and belongs in a platoon v. LHP role to rest him and mask his weak constitution. His only position where he is marginal is at 2nd base.

Ellsbury is also what his career metric averages say he is, which is why the late 2007 euphoria is reblooming currently in what is not representative of what Ellsbury really is over the big sample. 

A smart GM recognizes his roster construction weaknesses, short and long term, and sells high when needed to address roster construction weakness. Lowrie's value will never be higher than last winter. Ellsbury's value is higher because of his current OBP spike, but it's also diminished because another year of control is ticking down. Ellsbury's value is not ever going any higher but it will go a lot lower.

The question is, what are the future team needs? Is the plan to extend Ellsbury and Lowrie? A mistake in light of Crawford, Kalish, Reddick and lefty speed and chip hitter depth, and no solid young MLB mature RH OF'er, at all. A mistake in light of Iggy, Navy, and an easy one year cheap deal for a veteran SS to bridge any needed maturation time that Iggy needs. 

Good planning requires good talent and team need assessment, well in advance. Not reacting after the fact. How long is Theo going to sit on his hands before deciding whether to extend or sign as a FA Lowrie and Ellsbury? What does he have in place in younger players? What are the current and future team needs? 

Pretty clear to me that the Red Sox need a solid overall young RH OF'er.

Pretty clear to me that the Red Sox are married to a too expensive divorce to change horses on Carl Crawford, the exact same type of player profile as Ellsbury.

Pretty clear to me that Ellsbury has his highest value to a big market NL team.

Pretty clear to me that Ellsbury, overall, does not have the career offensive and defensive metrics to provide good value over a long term FA contract. But even if someone claims he really is "breaking out" career star in a career that is already approaching the late 20's and not one single full season long star metric season, Crawford is already that kind of player and has been for years, but is still in his late 20's.

Better long term value in Kalish, Reddick and maturing farm talent on the lefty OF'er map. 

The CBA uncertainty on FA departing team compensation and the uncertainty that Ellsbury would qualify as a Type A or B (As of May 30, 2011 he is not), pointing to a decision on trading that should not wait until the final control year and a smaller trade market.

Both the Dodgers and the DBacks are possible trading partners, with economic factors as they are. DBacks don't quite match up as well as the Dodgers.

Kemp isn't the kind of player that would be popular to Red Sox fans, but he is a much more gifted baseball talent than Ellsbury and a better long term fit, moving into the AL and Boston big market from the big market in LA. The Dodgers have an emerging OF RH/Switch hitter talent in AAA, named Rayvon Robinson who has pop and power.

Lowrie would be a good 2nd base value for the DBacks, over Kelly Johnson. He's younger and KJ is a FA and not a very talented player and is a poor contract value due to years of service and low talent. 

With Young under control until as late as 2014 (grossly inferior player to Upton but similar type of player), the DBacks have already shopped Upton's balooning back end contract for a wish price. Long term, the DBacks are not going to keep Upton and have already solicited offers. This winter, they most certainly will listen to an offer that starts with Ellsbury and Lowrie. 

Going forward, I can't see how Theo can see any long term future for Ellsbury and Lowrie with the Red Sox. Waiting until the last year or so to trade or extend them doesn't sound like a plan, more of a reaction with a plan.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]As Lowrie plays more, his fragile physical and mental consttitution are exposed to reveal exactly what his career metric averages say he is. He is truly a butcher in the field with very little range, weak v. RHP, and belongs in a platoon v. LHP role to rest him and mask his weak constitution. His only position where he is marginal is at 2nd base. Ellsbury is also what his career metric averages say he is, which is why the late 2007 euphoria is reblooming currently in what is not representative of what Ellsbury really is over the big sample.  A smart GM recognizes his roster construction weaknesses, short and long term, and sells high when needed to address roster construction weakness. Lowrie's value will never be higher than last winter. Ellsbury's value is higher because of his current OBP spike, but it's also diminished because another year of control is ticking down. Ellsbury's value is not ever going any higher but it will go a lot lower. The question is, what are the future team needs? Is the plan to extend Ellsbury and Lowrie? A mistake in light of Crawford, Kalish, Reddick and lefty speed and chip hitter depth, and no solid young MLB mature RH OF'er, at all. A mistake in light of Iggy, Navy, and an easy one year cheap deal for a veteran SS to bridge any needed maturation time that Iggy needs.  Good planning requires good talent and team need assessment, well in advance. Not reacting after the fact. How long is Theo going to sit on his hands before deciding whether to extend or sign as a FA Lowrie and Ellsbury? What does he have in place in younger players? What are the current and future team needs?  Pretty clear to me that the Red Sox need a solid overall young RH OF'er. Pretty clear to me that the Red Sox are married to a too expensive divorce to change horses on Carl Crawford, the exact same type of player profile as Ellsbury. Pretty clear to me that Ellsbury has his highest value to a big market NL team. Pretty clear to me that Ellsbury, overall, does not have the career offensive and defensive metrics to provide good value over a long term FA contract. But even if someone claims he really is "breaking out" career star in a career that is already approaching the late 20's and not one single full season long star metric season, Crawford is already that kind of player and has been for years, but is still in his late 20's. Better long term value in Kalish, Reddick and maturing farm talent on the lefty OF'er map.  The CBA uncertainty on FA departing team compensation and the uncertainty that Ellsbury would qualify as a Type A or B (As of May 30, 2011 he is not), pointing to a decision on trading that should not wait until the final control year and a smaller trade market. Both the Dodgers and the DBacks are possible trading partners, with economic factors as they are. DBacks don't quite match up as well as the Dodgers. Kemp isn't the kind of player that would be popular to Red Sox fans, but he is a much more gifted baseball talent than Ellsbury and a better long term fit, moving into the AL and Boston big market from the big market in LA. The Dodgers have an emerging OF RH/Switch hitter talent in AAA, named Rayvon Robinson who has pop and power.   Lowrie would be a good 2nd base value for the DBacks, over Kelly Johnson. He's younger and KJ is a FA and not a very talented player and is a poor contract value due to years of service and low talent.  With Young under control until as late as 2014 (grossly inferior player to Upton but similar type of player), the DBacks have already shopped Upton's balooning back end contract for a wish price. Long term, the DBacks are not going to keep Upton and have already solicited offers. This winter, they most certainly will listen to an offer that starts with Ellsbury and Lowrie.  Going forward, I can't see how Theo can see any long term future for Ellsbury and Lowrie with the Red Sox. Waiting until the last year or so to trade or extend them doesn't sound like a plan, more of a reaction with a plan.    
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

pretty clear you are full of it and know nothing!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

pretty clear that you are bereft of mind and are unable to comment on an intellectual basis.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

okay lets trade one of the top 3 leadoff hiters in the game because his value will drop, or his contract will go up oh god i am not sure the redsox can afford jacoby, for kemp who has never played in a high pressure market. no way

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Other teams know Jacoby's agent is BorA$$. They know his value and years of control left. They know he will likely become a FA after about 2 1/2 more years.

Who is this worthy RH'd OF'er the clown keeps asking for in return for "Jake"?

Who will leadoff?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Betterdeadthanred/softy is a perfect example of procrustean thinking.  He long ago condemned Ellsbury to mediocrity and is sticking to his story no matter what. 

As for Lowrie, he might be hurt.  Whatever the cause, his hitting has dropped off. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he's like 2 for his last 19.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]As Lowrie plays more, his fragile physical and mental consttitution are exposed to reveal exactly what his career metric averages say he is. He is truly a butcher in the field with very little range, weak v. RHP, and belongs in a platoon v. LHP role to rest him and mask his weak constitution. His only position where he is marginal is at 2nd base. Ellsbury is also what his career metric averages say he is, which is why the late 2007 euphoria is reblooming currently in what is not representative of what Ellsbury really is over the big sample.  A smart GM recognizes his roster construction weaknesses, short and long term, and sells high when needed to address roster construction weakness. Lowrie's value will never be higher than last winter. Ellsbury's value is higher because of his current OBP spike, but it's also diminished because another year of control is ticking down. Ellsbury's value is not ever going any higher but it will go a lot lower. The question is, what are the future team needs? Is the plan to extend Ellsbury and Lowrie? A mistake in light of Crawford, Kalish, Reddick and lefty speed and chip hitter depth, and no solid young MLB mature RH OF'er, at all. A mistake in light of Iggy, Navy, and an easy one year cheap deal for a veteran SS to bridge any needed maturation time that Iggy needs.  Good planning requires good talent and team need assessment, well in advance. Not reacting after the fact. How long is Theo going to sit on his hands before deciding whether to extend or sign as a FA Lowrie and Ellsbury? What does he have in place in younger players? What are the current and future team needs?  Pretty clear to me that the Red Sox need a solid overall young RH OF'er. Pretty clear to me that the Red Sox are married to a too expensive divorce to change horses on Carl Crawford, the exact same type of player profile as Ellsbury. Pretty clear to me that Ellsbury has his highest value to a big market NL team. Pretty clear to me that Ellsbury, overall, does not have the career offensive and defensive metrics to provide good value over a long term FA contract. But even if someone claims he really is "breaking out" career star in a career that is already approaching the late 20's and not one single full season long star metric season, Crawford is already that kind of player and has been for years, but is still in his late 20's. Better long term value in Kalish, Reddick and maturing farm talent on the lefty OF'er map.  The CBA uncertainty on FA departing team compensation and the uncertainty that Ellsbury would qualify as a Type A or B (As of May 30, 2011 he is not), pointing to a decision on trading that should not wait until the final control year and a smaller trade market. Both the Dodgers and the DBacks are possible trading partners, with economic factors as they are. DBacks don't quite match up as well as the Dodgers. Kemp isn't the kind of player that would be popular to Red Sox fans, but he is a much more gifted baseball talent than Ellsbury and a better long term fit, moving into the AL and Boston big market from the big market in LA. The Dodgers have an emerging OF RH/Switch hitter talent in AAA, named Rayvon Robinson who has pop and power.   Lowrie would be a good 2nd base value for the DBacks, over Kelly Johnson. He's younger and KJ is a FA and not a very talented player and is a poor contract value due to years of service and low talent.  With Young under control until as late as 2014 (grossly inferior player to Upton but similar type of player), the DBacks have already shopped Upton's balooning back end contract for a wish price. Long term, the DBacks are not going to keep Upton and have already solicited offers. This winter, they most certainly will listen to an offer that starts with Ellsbury and Lowrie.  Going forward, I can't see how Theo can see any long term future for Ellsbury and Lowrie with the Red Sox. Waiting until the last year or so to trade or extend them doesn't sound like a plan, more of a reaction with a plan.    

In the midst of the current streak it is amazing that you would think that the Lowrie issue deserves the above post.  It is just a whole lot o drivel

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

[QUOTE]Uh, yeah, he has an injury. His left shoulder has been aching him, and he had an MRI done on this past Wednesday. There was no structural damage, so he's more hurting than injured, but it's obviously something that's bothering him. It kept him out of two straight games last week.
    Posted by bigpanther98[/QUOTE]

He jammed it in a minor collision with Crawford. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Sort of double edge sword literally and figuratively for Jed.  Because he's been injured and hasn't played a full season, it's hard to determine if he really is a legit full time player on not.  I don't think it's clear if this is a slump or a trend toward a hypothetical typical year for him that has yet to be established.  Of course, if the slump is related to the injury, then I guess it is a "typical" year for him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Crawford would leadoff, and Kemp is twice the price and is going to be a FA sooner than Bellsbury, MoonSlo. I don't think anyone is submiting that a trade is done today, read the post, childish named calling droning moron!

okay lets trade one of the top 3 leadoff hiters in the game

There has never been a "top 3 leadoff hitter in the game" who has been in the league for 5 seasons and has a career OBP in the .340's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford would leadoff, and Kemp is twice the price and is going to be a FA sooner than Bellsbury, MoonSlo. I don't think anyone is submiting that a trade is done today, read the post, childish named calling droning moron!   okay lets trade one of the top 3 leadoff hiters in the game There has never been a "top 3 leadoff hitter in the game" who has been in the league for 5 seasons and has a career OBP in the .340's.

Abuse reported, jerk.  "Bellsbury".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Lowrie Hurt? : Abuse reported, jerk.  "Bellsbury".
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

actually  Jacoby McCabe Ellsbury (Tacoby Bellsbury)  is on his baseball-reference page...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

The guy hates Ellsbury, he's not referrring to his known nickname, is he?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford would leadoff, and Kemp is twice the price and is going to be a FA sooner than Bellsbury, MoonSlo. I don't think anyone is submiting that a trade is done today, read the post, childish named calling droning moron!   okay lets trade one of the top 3 leadoff hiters in the game There has never been a "top 3 leadoff hitter in the game" who has been in the league for 5 seasons and has a career OBP in the .340's.

ells-ba 317-rbi 33-obp-373-slg 479-sb 24 Undecided