Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight?

They called up Iggy and sent Tazawa down..Maybe Aviles at 3rd and Iggy at short tonight or tomorrow..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : As a rule, I am sentimental when it comes to Sox business Chilli.  But I agree with your hard-line notion that if Youk can't play or play well, lets get Will the Thrill 2.0 up and see what he can do.  Youth infusion can be the difference between also-rans and surprise mojo contenders* (*see posey, 2010 Gigantes).  But, as a no-nonsense business man, how long do you give Youk, a proven commodity perhaps done but perhaps just slow to get going?  Two weeks?  June?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

That's the tricky question, Space.  The Super 2 deadline (for a team like the Sox with lots of hitting) is an easy first hurdle, so 2 more weeks.  But it's the only (partially) objective hurdle so after that it's a judgement call.

I'm just some fan so I couldn't possibly know if he's hurt, not focussed, or even all done.  I can't believe he's lost his talent so quickly, and I don't buy the BV "intensity" nonsense, so I reckon he's hurt.  Maybe the hernia is worse than they are letting on....that certainly would reduce his mobility.

If he's playing but still not hitting in a couple of weeks I might bring up Middlebrooks and give him a shot, making Youk a backup for him, AGon and Papi plus pinch hitting.  He would not like that, but we can't wait forever and let him hit his way back to 3B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]They called up Iggy and sent Tazawa down..Maybe Aviles at 3rd and Iggy at short tonight or tomorrow..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

I hope not.  Aviles is playing well and has earned his starting role despite the many doubters.  I'd leave SS alone and play Punto at 3rd, why weaken two positions?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21196161/sox-call-iglesias-option-tazawa

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I very much doubt Middlebrooks could amend the CBA agreement re service time.

Re "money"?  Of course it is, but the money issue isn't that simple.  Could it be just to save the owners money?  It could.  But it's also about budgets.  Look at it this way (assuming Middlebrooks becomes a star player, then leaves as a FA).

Salary:
      Bring him up nowBring him up in two weeks
    2012 500k500k
    2013 500k500k
    2014 500k500k
    2015 3m500k
    2016 8m3m
    2017 12m8m
    2018 Gone12m

The figures are rough, obviously, but it means we get 3.5 cheap years rather than 2.5 cheap years, plus an extra year at the end where he will still be paid under market value.  All that money saved can be spent elsewhere.

Isn't this all based on the assumption that he stays with the big club all year? When Youk is healthy, he could be sent back down and not gain the ML service time that way to, right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : I hope not.  Aviles is playing well and has earned his starting role despite the many doubters.  I'd leave SS alone and play Punto at 3rd, why weaken two positions?
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

I agree Chill..Just a possibility..Although, I believe Aviles can handle 3rd just fine and Id like to see Iggy get a few AB's...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]I very much doubt Middlebrooks could amend the CBA agreement re service time. Re "money"?  Of course it is, but the money issue isn't that simple.  Could it be just to save the owners money?  It could.  But it's also about budgets.  Look at it this way (assuming Middlebrooks becomes a star player, then leaves as a FA). Salary:     Bring him up now Bring him up in two weeks 2012   500k 500k 2013   500k 500k 2014   500k 500k 2015   3m 500k 2016   8m 3m 2017   12m 8m 2018   Gone 12m The figures are rough, obviously, but it means we get 3.5 cheap years rather than 2.5 cheap years, plus an extra year at the end where he will still be paid under market value.  All that money saved can be spent elsewhere. Isn't this all based on the assumption that he stays with the big club all year? When Youk is healthy, he could be sent back down and not gain the ML service time that way to, right?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Yes it does, and it also assumes he becomes a star, as I wrote.  And the figures are rough, as I also wrote.  But it seemed worthwhile to illustrate the issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : I hope not.  Aviles is playing well and has earned his starting role despite the many doubters.  I'd leave SS alone and play Punto at 3rd, why weaken two positions?
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]I think defensively you'd strengthen both positions. Iglesias is an obvious defensive upgrade and I think Aviles would give us better D at 3rd than Youk's been able to thus far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : I think defensively you'd strengthen both positions. Iglesias is an obvious defensive upgrade and I think Aviles would give us better D at 3rd than Youk's been able to thus far.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Hear Hear.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : I think defensively you'd strengthen both positions. Iglesias is an obvious defensive upgrade and I think Aviles would give us better D at 3rd than Youk's been able to thus far.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it's not all about defense.  Iggy cannot hit at this point in his career....even at Pawtucket his hitting has been terrible.  It will hurt the team and probably his confidence too if he hits a weak .150 which is entirely likely....also not great to move Aviles around after he's won his job so well.

Let him pinch run and field the last few innings to build up confidence at things he can do well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : Yes, but it's not all about defense.  Iggy cannot hit at this point in his career....even at Pawtucket his hitting has been terrible.  It will hurt the team and probably his confidence too if he hits a weak .150 which is entirely likely....also not great to move Aviles around after he's won his job so well. Let him pinch run and field the last few innings to build up confidence at things he can do well.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]Anyway, they've got Aviles at short tonight and Punto's at third so it's a moot point. I really like Punto as a ballplayer and think he might really be able to give us something if Youk is out for a while.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : Yes, but it's not all about defense.  Iggy cannot hit at this point in his career....even at Pawtucket his hitting has been terrible.  It will hurt the team and probably his confidence too if he hits a weak .150 which is entirely likely....also not great to move Aviles around after he's won his job so well. Let him pinch run and field the last few innings to build up confidence at things he can do well.
    Not an unreasonable slant, but imo, incorrect.
    I think Aviles has been a utility guy in past, and also think him at 3b and Julio @ ss provide much better defense. Aviles being a professional might agree, and Iggy's defene is off the charts better. And really, would Iglesias' bat be any worse than Punto's ?
    After all, isn't Iglesias a career 300 hitter in the majors ? ( LOL)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]... OR has at least two years of major league service but less than three, AND is among the top 17 percent for cumulative playing time in the majors in this class of players, AND was on an active major-league roster for at least 86 days in the previous season. The trick is to avoid being in the 17 percent, and I don't know if it's an art or a science to figure that out.  Someone wrote the other day 10 May has been the approximate cutoff in recent years, but I can't confirm that. JB seems to know a fair bit about this....
    Over the past three years, all of the super-2's have had at least 2 years and 130 days service time.  There are 172 days to an MLB "year" so that is why the first 2 weeks in May are considered the likely super-2 cut-off.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : Not an unreasonable slant, but imo, incorrect. I think Aviles has been a utility guy in past, and also think him at 3b and Julio @ ss provide much better defense. Aviles being a professional might agree, and Iggy's defene is off the charts better. And really, would Iglesias' bat be any worse than Punto's ? After all, isn't Iglesias a career 300 hitter in the majors ? ( LOL)
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]
    Not sure our left infield is so bad that Julio Iglesias should be manning SS.  He might be a good replacement for Neil Diamond during the 7th inning stretch though :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Small sample size alert. But seriously I think there's a slight chance Iglesias could be a better hitter in the majors than he has been in the minors. Major League pitchers throw more strikes by and large than minor leaguers and Jose, being such an eggressive hitter might actually benefit from seeing better pitches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : Not an unreasonable slant, but imo, incorrect. I think Aviles has been a utility guy in past, and also think him at 3b and Julio @ ss provide much better defense. Aviles being a professional might agree, and Iggy's defene is off the charts better. And really, would Iglesias' bat be any worse than Punto's ? After all, isn't Iglesias a career 300 hitter in the majors ? ( LOL)

Looks like a moot point (for tonight anyway) but, as I wrote elsewhere, this is what Punto is paid to do, fill in at 4/5/6 on a short-term basis.  And he's good at it.  Aviles has played really well.  Iggy cannot hit.  If Youk is out for a while it's Middlebrooks that will be called up, not Iggy.

BTW, Punto's career OPS in Teddy Ballgame's MFL is .651.  If Iggy's OPS is .485 in AAA this season after .554 last season, what is a reasonable expectation in the bigs?  .450?  Less?  So yes, his bat would be dramatically worse than Punto's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Jim

Aviles has a very bad UZR at third for his career.  

I'd bet over a decent sample Punto's would be a couple hundred higher OP than JI.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

The infatuation with Middlebrooks is certainly understandable given Youkilis' struggles and the youngster's outstanding performance in the minors.  The problem of course is that guys who appear to be studs at .AAA are often duds at the next level.  A great recent example is a 1B named Anthony Rizzo and there are many others. 

At the .AAA level in 442 at bats Rizzo has had 151 hits, a .342 BA, 33 HR, 124 RBI and a 1.063 OPS.  That would translate into an outstanding season obviously.  At the big league level he had 128 AB, 18 hits, 8 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR and 9 RBI.  That's a .141 BA with a .281 OBP and .242 SLG Pct.  Both success and failiure in the minors as is the case with Iglesias do not often translate at the next level.  Middlebrooks could be far less talented than some would hope and Iglesias far more capable offensively than some might think.  It's the nature of the sport.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : Not sure our left infield is so bad that Julio Iglesias should be manning SS.  He might be a good replacement for Neil Diamond during the 7th inning stretch though :)
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]
     HaHa. My BAD !!

Again, too much LDS back in the 70's !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Middlebrooks getting called-up tonight? : Looks like a moot point (for tonight anyway) but, as I wrote elsewhere, this is what Punto is paid to do, fill in at 4/5/6 on a short-term basis.  And he's good at it.  Aviles has played really well.  Iggy cannot hit.  If Youk is out for a while it's Middlebrooks that will be called up, not Iggy. BTW, Punto's career OPS in Teddy Ballgame's MFL is .651.  If Iggy's OPS is .485 in AAA this season after .554 last season, what is a reasonable expectation in the bigs?  .450?  Less?  So yes, his bat would be dramatically worse than Punto's.
    You may be right, especially if Aviles' 3b UZR ( whatever THAT is ) is as terrible as they say it is. Right now a .450 OPS from JOSE Iglesias probably a reach in MFL. But can Punto hit ? Yet to see evidence of it myself.