Is Mortenson pitching his way off the team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Is Mortenson pitching his way off the team

I kind of like this guy, but he as been pitching lately like he is going to have to be replaced on the major league roster.

Both Wilson and Aceves would be better options right now and so might Rowland-Smith who has been sensational in Pawtucket.

Could/should he be traded for a prospect before he has to be released>

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Is Mortenson pitching his way off the team

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I kind of like this guy, but he as been pitching lately like he is going to have to be replaced on the major league roster.

Both Wilson and Aceves would be better options right now and so might Rowland-Smith who has been sensational in Pawtucket.

Could/should he be traded for a prospect before he has to be released>

Mortensen has appeared in 22 games and has a bloated ERA of 5.53. He is only suited for mopup duty now. I would rather jettison him and bring in another arm. We won't get any prospects at all for him; its not even worth trying.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yea like ben is going to waiver him after he gave up the mvp of the pennant for this salami...scutaro was the biggest gamer of the 2011 team and literally played thru an entire season of pain with one arm....you think ben is going to call attention to that by dumping mort? 

As always - 100% correct!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I like Mortenson but there is no doubt that Aceves is better.  He should come back up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

yea like ben is going to waiver him after he gave up the mvp of the pennant for this salami...scutaro was the biggest gamer of the 2011 team and literally played thru an entire season of pain with one arm....you think ben is going to call attention to that by dumping mort? 

Hardly.

Mortenson is being retained because the team doesn't want to needlessly deplete their depth like the Dodgers did earlier this year.  His poor performance is counteref by a role that limits him to meaningless innings.

As for Scutaro, get over it.  He was a salary dump and the only reason he wss not a free agent was the Sox use of his player option to reduce the AAV of his contract.  They didn't evrn deal him to the Giants, and weren't goingto give him the $20mill deal he has now.

The Sox traded World Series MVP Edgar Renteria for Andy Marte.  Did they hold on to Marte because of Renteria's post-season heroics?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I like Mortenson but there is no doubt that Aceves is better.  He should come back up.

He will .  There will be injuries.  Given that Mortenson is only pitching in lop-sided gsmes, would the Sox be any better if a more effective pitcher handled those innings? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Roster management. I agree that Wilson and Aceves are better options, but I can understand holding on to Mort for now. Hes pitching in basically meaningless innings. No big deal right now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the last two posts make abso no sense...none...you might as well admit that Mort is a mistake abnd undeserving of a roster spot....the contortions you are twisting yourselves into is quite funny....how about you keep your most versatile long reliever on the team? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to notin's comment:

He will .  There will be injuries.  Given that Mortenson is only pitching in lop-sided gsmes, would the Sox be any better if a more effective pitcher handled those innings? 

My point was simply that Aceves is a better pitcher.  I like Mortenson. I don't think he is a detriment to the team, Aceves is a nut.

But...Aceves is better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

the last two posts make abso no sense...none...you might as well admit that Mort is a mistake abnd undeserving of a roster spot....the contortions you are twisting yourselves into is quite funny....how about you keep your most versatile long reliever on the team? 

He isn't a "mistake" Scutaro was a salary dump. that may have been a mistake but it didn't have much to do with Mortensen. He was just a throw in, no one has ever pretended he was as good as Scut.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I am not sure the Sox see Aceves as a reliever right now.

I think he is starter option 6 or 7, depending on Morales

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I am not sure the Sox see Aceves as a reliever right now.

I think he is starter option 6 or 7, depending on Morales

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K

This is true. I think Aceves best value though is being the guy in the BP that can take any role.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Don't you think Mort could be part of a package deal that could get us a little value coming back? If we get something AND get to bring up another pitcher that would be something.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

He isn't a "mistake" Scutaro was a salary dump. that may have been a mistake but it didn't have much to do with Mortensen. He was just a throw in, no one has ever pretended he was as good as Scut.

Do you read the posts even? Clay M has been defended as steller by many here...now of course he is valuable as the mop up guy????  I have never heard the argument before that we should not promote a  veteran, versatile effective long reliever like Aceves so that we can have an inferior mop up guy in the pen.

The mind boggles.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

How good things must be going if we're complaining about the mop up guy?

Only in Boston. 

-Daf. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

it doesnt make a difference that mortenson is pitching meaningless innings, the fact of the matter is that he is getting hit hard every time out and his roster spot could be given to someone who is actually effective and can help us in other situations besides mop up duty. Aceves and wilson are both better and more deserving of the spot. i think we have enough depth that we can afford to lose mort if someone claims him. i dont think relievers with era's over 5.00 are all that desireable these days. lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Farrell : " You don't have to pitch well , you are only the mop up guy."    Mortensen : " Great , I can do that. ". 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Sections
Shortcuts