Is Napoli the best solution at First Base?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Is Napoli the best solution at First Base?

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pros: Napoli might have the highest ceiling of any first baseman on the market, given the 1.046 OPS he posted in a tremendous 2011. Even in his less impressive seasons, he has shown the kind of patience the Red Sox now lack in the lineup. He has long owned Boston pitching and Fenway Park, with 15 homers in 38 career games against the Sox and seven in 19 games at Fenway. (Fun with math: Both of those numbers extrapolate to a roughly 60-homer season.) His defensive versatility -- he's spent most of his career as a catcher -- would give Boston added depth behind Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway.

Cons: That 2011 season appears to be an outlier: Napoli hasn't hit above .273 in any other year. The fact that he's primarily served as a catcher will likely make him more attractive to teams that have bigger holes at that position, potentially driving up his price. Further, while Napoli's production is well above-average for a big-league catcher, it is subpar for a first baseman.

Should the Red Sox pursue? Yes, but only on a shorter-term deal. Even in Napoli's down season in 2012, only David Ortiz among Red Sox posted a better walk rate. Napoli had the same on-base percentage as Adrian Gonzalez did during his time in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Sin---if the alternative is for the gutless and spineless Cherington to regign the worthless and miserable James baLoney, then yes, Napoli or anybody would be an improvement.  That goes for Gomez as well since by the end of the season he was terribly exposed along with his miserable fielding.  Personally, I think we should think long range here---try and trade for Ike Davis, who I heard might be available for trade since the Mets want to put Lucas Duda there.

[/QUOTE]

) CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reported that Mets’ first baseman Lucas Duda fractured his wrist moving furniture. That could mean Ike Davis, the Mets’ other first baseman, who figured to be a prominent trade target of the Red Sox and other clubs, will be taken off the market.

[/QUOTE]

fractured wrist in november and he won't be ready by may? hard to think. i wouldn't shut the door on ike davis just yet

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Adam LaRoche - 1B - Nationals

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Red Sox and Rangers are pursuing Adam LaRoche.

Morosi notes that LaRoche, unsurprisingly, is "garnering enough interest" that he will decline the Nationals' $13.3 million qualifying offer. The Nats would like to bring the first baseman back, but it appears that they'll have some competition for his services. LaRoche hit 33 homers and drove in 100 runs for the Nats this season. Related: Red Sox, Rangers  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

No. I don't understand what they're going to do with Lavarnway. How long can he be the guy that's going to be our catcher? Until he's 40?

As for him being ready, wasn't that the case with Pedroia? How did that turn out? One of the biggest assets a catcher can have is intelligence. I think they should play him more and see how that goes before they trade for someone else. And with Varitek on board, as far as I'm concerned, he would have a leg up on the competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

No. I don't understand what they're going to do with Lavarnway. How long can he be the guy that's going to be our catcher? Until he's 40?

As for him being ready, wasn't that the case with Pedroia? How did that turn out? One of the biggest assets a catcher can have is intelligence. I think they should play him more and see how that goes before they trade for someone else. And with Varitek on board, as far as I'm concerned, he would have a leg up on the competition.

[/QUOTE]

Catching is a lot harder to learn and involves much more than just catching and throwing. Besides, Lava started catching late in life. He's got a long way to go, and our staff is fragile enough to add a catcher on a learning curve to the mix.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

been reading up on paul goldschmit and i have to say i like him better than Ike davis as a trade target. (especially if davis ACUALLY is off the market). young guy, decent pop, RH bat, good OBP. getting better every year. just worried how much it would take to get him from AZ

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Should the Red Sox pursue? No. LaRoche is going to cost too much in years and average salary to be worth it for Boston. Investing in a 33-year-old off a career year doesn't win you championships."

Prov. Journal

[/QUOTE]

Over the past 3 years, Napoli has a .875 OPS and LaRoche a .788.

LaRoche plays just 1B, while Napoli can give us 55 games v lefties at catcher.

LaRoche is 2 years older.

I much prefer Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  LaRoche typically is a slow starter, too, so can you imagine how much pressure there would be on him if Boston gave him a big contract and he didn't start the season well?  I don't like that scenario one bit.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

LaRoche is solid.  But essentially a platoon player wrapped in prized free agent contract scenario this off-season.  I would prefer Who.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Napoli is not the answer at 1B, C or DH.

I'd rather pay LaRoche. (Career .886 2nd half OPS. Career HRs per 650 PAs: 28 vs RHPs/24 vs LHPs)

Better yet, trade for K Morales or Morneau as long as they don't cost too much.

[/QUOTE]

Im with you on AL....but we need a pitcher who can bring it every 5 days first and foremost....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Catching is a lot harder to learn and involves much more than just catching and throwing. Besides, Lava started catching late in life. He's got a long way to go, and our staff is fragile enough to add a catcher on a learning curve to the mix.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. That's why I feel intelligence is a major part of the equation. I value game-calling abilities in a catcher above catching, throwing and batting. That's why I thought Varitek was so valuable. What a pitcher throws to each batter in any given circumstance is IMO one of the most important aspects of the game. Knowing how to make those calls is really what a catcher should be most prepared to do. Why would that be so hard for a Yale graduate to figure out? Is he really that bad of a catcher that he shouldn't even be considered?

And I really don't care how he bats if he can do that. Salty is terrible when he's at the plate. Is he really so much better at calling a game?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. That's why I feel intelligence is a major part of the equation. I value game-calling abilities in a catcher above catching, throwing and batting. That's why I thought Varitek was so valuable. What a pitcher throws to each batter in any given circumstance is IMO one of the most important aspects of the game. Knowing how to make those calls is really what a catcher should be most prepared to do. Why would that be so hard for a Yale graduate to figure out? Is he really that bad of a catcher that he shouldn't even be considered?

And I really don't care how he bats if he can do that. Salty is terrible when he's at the plate. Is he really so much better at calling a game?

[/QUOTE]

Going to Yale doesn't mean you have brains. Just look at GW.

I do think Lava can improve, but even VTek took until he was about 30 before he became what he was.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do think Lava can improve, but even VTek took until he was about 30 before he became what he was.

[/QUOTE]

Bush did better than Kerry at Yale.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bush did better than Kerry at Yale.

[/QUOTE]

2 of my sisters went to Yale. I don't think they'd make good game-callers.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Napoli will take a 1 year deal, then maybe. I dont trust he will put up good eonigh numbers and good enough defense for what hes looking for...

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts