Re: is no one in need of starting pitchers
posted at 2/11/2014 11:48 AM EST
In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
The RS will deal NO pitcher until they have to. People are constantly talking of trading Peavey or Dempster???? Has not the past few years taught you anything about SP and the need for it during the season.
The RS used 11 SP last year 7 of which started 44 games that is 25% of the games. Four others picked up the other 75%. There is a need for SP now and through out the season.
I do believe this list of 11 is stronger with Dempster and Peavey than without.
Lester, Bucholz, Lackey, Dempster, Peavey, Workman, Doubrant, Tazawa, Koji, Mujica, Breslowand Miller. With Britton, De La Rosa, Wright, Wilson, Webster, and others pitching in AAA getting a lot of innings and experience.
Now I know many want the kids or something they believe will help the team. However what happens if one of Lester, Clay or Lackey go down? IMHO I'd rather Peavey or Dempster who have handled the pressure than a rookie who has not.
If there comes a time that a team comes calling because they need that SP and are willing to give up some real decent minor leaguers then you make a move but not until then and especially not now.
I understand the worry about pitching depth. I don't take the issue lightly. Our recent past is full of seasons with 9-13 pitchers used as starters. That being said, I am still for trading Dempster, and here is why:
1) The $8-11M saved gives us the budget flexibility to fill some holes that are likely to arise over the long season.
2) Paying $13.25M for a 6th starter/long man is not good baseball budget management.
3) We have a number of SP'er that I believe are as good as Dempster right now, and a few others that could be as good as the 2013 Dempster was.
Besides the starting 5 of Lester, Buch, lackey, Peavy and Doubie,
we have these guys:
Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Webster, Wright, Ely, Hinojosa and Ely
We also have some fast rising prospects that could be ready this year:
Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens, Pena, Couch, Hernandez or Kehrt.
That's 15 starters beyond our top 5! That is still as deep or deeper than just about every team in MLB... in ML ready SP depth.
It's hard to admit that at least 7 guys are all very close to the skill level of the 37 year old Dempster: Workman, Britton, de la Rosa, Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes and Owens.
If we have to go beyond these 12, then a case may be made that trading Dempster kept us from winning, but even then one of the others may rise to the occasion and do better than the 2014 Dempster anyways...like Wright or Hinojosa.