is no one in need of starting pitchers

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: is no one in need of starting pitchers

ya dempster really has no place on this team. The 5th rotation spot should be up for grabs in spring training with doubront having the slight edge. But i think if barnes, ranaudo, webster or owens pitches well enough in spring training one of them could win the job. Workman would be a good candidate for the long reliever spot. trading dempster frees up money too that could be handy given that we could be looking to make a splash at the deadline. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Referring to a pitcher as a an 'innings eater' is a euphemism for "he sux!"

[/QUOTE]

actually not really.

If a guy "sux" he wouldn't get enough innings to qualify as an innings eater, he would be stashed in the bullpen or down in AAA. 

Experts would agree, that IP's is one of the most under rated stats in all of baseball. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think anyone would complain at this point if Dempster was dumped. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

but I also agree with hughe

200 innings is very valuuble

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

actually not really.

If a guy "sux" he wouldn't get enough innings to qualify as an innings eater, he would be stashed in the bullpen or down in AAA. 

Experts would agree, that IP's is one of the most under rated stats in all of baseball. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, when a team has a pitcher, let's say Dempster, and the FO can't find  anything really good to say about him, they'll call him an 'innings eater.' Maybe SUX was too harsh, but in Dempster's case not by much.

[/QUOTE]

an innings eater is not an Ace, but all aces are innings eaters.  kinda like the whole zoogles and boogles SAT question we all got.

But a guy who puts up marginal numbers but can go 200 innings can add a LOT of value to the back of a teams rotation, there is a lot of value there.

At this point, given Dempster age and what appears to be a reduced capacity to throw innings coupled with our vast pitching depth I would agree that this team is better off without him.

But that doesn't come without saying that someone out there would want him, because i think someone would.  And there are teams out there where he would slot in to the back of the rotation and be an upgrade. Heck he's a middle of the rotation starter on a few teams out there. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What could possibly go wrong?

When a team enters a season appearing loaded on paper at one position, by June the best-laid plans often have gone awry.

I understand temptation to dump Ryan Dempster's salary to address other needs, but the depth of the Red Sox starting pitching my be exaggerated.

The unexpected is one reason I/we like this sport so much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What could possibly go wrong?

When a team enters a season appearing loaded on paper at one position, by June the best-laid plans often have gone awry.

I understand temptation to dump Ryan Dempster's salary to address other needs, but the depth of the Red Sox starting pitching my be exaggerated.

The unexpected is one reason I/we like this sport so much.

[/QUOTE]

true, but we are talking about a #6 guy at this point.  It's not like the Sox have 1 guy who can step in, they have 4-5 guys who very well may be able to replicate or beat what Ryan Dempster can do.

I'm not going to be angry if the Sox keep him, and I would respect the move to maintain pitching depth.  But I won't be upset either if they are able to dump him, especially if they can actually get something in return that might provide depth at another position they are thinner at.

I can't remember the last time the Sox had practically an entire rotation in Triple A that you can reasonably project as MLB starting pitchers.  Doesn't mean they all will, as a matter of fact a couple are bound to fail as starter but the sheer QTY of MLb ready pitchers all but gurantees an upgrade in my mind. 

If Workman fails, you Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, RDLR.  Henry Owens and Brian Johnson could also be on this list by the end of the year as well. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

actually not really.

[/QUOTE]

Well, when a team has a pitcher, let's say Dempster, and the FO can't find  anything really good to say about him, they'll call him an 'innings eater.' Maybe SUX was too harsh, but in Dempster's case not by much.

[/QUOTE]

Theyve said a number of good things about him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I would also favor trading Dempster. We have too much cost-effective pitching talent that needs a shot to prove themselves. Yes, we should have 5 starters, but the 6th man is unnecessary in the situation that the RS find themselves in.

Free up salary space and give the kids a shot at pitching.