Is one inch that important?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Is one inch that important?

May be a bit insignificant but one of the Cleveland announcers has made a point of Brock Holt’s diminutive stature for a first baseman as opposed to  that of a second baseman or shortstop.

It got me to thinking as to how many Red Sox first basemen approached Holt’s physical stature. Here are some that came to mind.

Brock Holt 5’10" 185 lbs.

Vic Wertz 6’ 186 lbs.

Pete Runnels 6’ 170 lbs.

Yaz 5’11" 182 lbs.

Danny Cater 5’11" 180 lbs.

Dave Stapleton 6’1" 178 lbs.

Bill Buckner 6’ 185 lbs.

Carlos Quintana 6’ 175lbs.

Napoli 6’ 220 lbs

Yaz and Cater had one inch on him, but does one inch make that much of a difference?

O’boy here it comes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Is one inch that important?

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

May be a bit insignificant but one of the Cleveland announcers has made a point of Brock Holt’s diminutive stature for a first baseman as opposed to  that of a second baseman or shortstop.

It got me to thinking as to how many Red Sox first basemen approached Holt’s physical stature. Here are some that came to mind.

Vic Wertz 6’ 186 lbs.

Pete Runnels 6’ 170 lbs.

Yaz 5’11" 182 lbs.

Bill Buckner 6’ 185 lbs.

Napoli 6’ 220 lbs

Yaz and Cater had one inch on him, but does one inch make that much of a difference?

O’boy here it comes.

[/QUOTE]

Well, many women would say that he should wear elevator spikes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Thought Yaz was bigger than that. He's the same size as me!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

As Dad would say "Son size matters"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

One of the things that has contributed to Pedroia's legacy is his success despite his short stature. The fact is that height is not necessarily an asset for a second baseman. And at the plate, he has a smaller strike zone. He has become what he is because of his talent and work ethic. His height has not been a detriment at all. Generally, you want to have a taller guy at first base because of the high throws from short and third. Not the most important thing, but it helps. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As Dad would say "Son size matters"

[/QUOTE]

That was funny.  Maybe your best line ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

Vic Wertz 6’ 186 lbs.

Pete Runnels 6’ 170 lbs.

Yaz 5’11" 182 lbs.

Bill Buckner 6’ 185 lbs.

Napoli 6’ 220 lbs

O’boy here it comes.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, in the case of Buckner, it might have helped more if he were a couple of inches shorter and closer to the ground.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

According to my wife it is

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

3 of the best defensive 1B of alltime- 

Don Mattingly 6-0

Keith Hernandez 6-0

Wes Parker 6-1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

One inch does not matter. I bet Holt has a vertical jump about 5 inches higher than Napoli.

However it is a first baseman's job to pick balls out the dirt more than catch high throws. If he can make the in the dirt catches and make it look easy like some guys like Loney or Laroche can he will be very valuable as a UIF.

Lately I have been amazed at how many guys can not make a clean throw across the infield even on a routine play.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Height doesn't matter so much as reach.  How long are the arms and how far can the guy stretch?

Jim is correct when he says the ability to grab balls out of the dirt is far more important than height.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

No idea as I'm not a woman.....Bill would know. 

BTW......LOVE the Carlos Quintana inclusion on that list!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Vic Wertz 6’ 186 lbs.

Pete Runnels 6’ 170 lbs.

Yaz 5’11" 182 lbs.

Bill Buckner 6’ 185 lbs.

Napoli 6’ 220 lbs

O’boy here it comes.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, in the case of Buckner, it might have helped more if he were a couple of inches shorter and closer to the ground.  

[/QUOTE]

That beaten horse must be all bones by now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Height doesn't matter so much as reach.  How long are the arms and how far can the guy stretch?

Jim is correct when he says the ability to grab balls out of the dirt is far more important than height.

[/QUOTE]

this.  100%.

oh, and as far as BB, the sox lost that game before that ball was even hit.  never blamed him.  and never will.