Is our hitting over-rated?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

Re: Is our hitting over-rated?

"having crawford on the DL isn't helping."--------------nusoxfan

don't mean to pop your 'i luv crawford balloon' but his contributions? are not being missed. his absence isn't  one of the reasons the sox suk.

note to all theo and crawford lovers: this free agent signing of crawford by inepstein will make the drew signing seem ingenious. it will also make the slackey signing seem like the work of a genius.

btw, the philly offense is terrible--getting only 2 runs off slackey in 7+ innings proves it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Where is Wily Mo when you need him?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Remember, this lastest schedule isnt favoring Boston this week where they are playing nine straight road games against NL teams.  Very rare to see this kind of a schedule.  Plus Big red hot hitting Papi havent been playing alot during this road trip except he finally played a full game last nite as well Crawford is on DL.   Plus we see that Bucholtz is also on DL for a while along with Beckett still being sick. So with all that combinations along with the unfavorable schedule are hurting Boston right now.  Well, just hope Boston win tonite before heading to Houston.  Yankees will be playing at the Mets.  Hopefully the Mets take two out of three against the Yankees while Boston wins three in their next four games.   

I do not think Boston would try hard to get a new RF.  I just think that they need to wait to get everyone healthy, and then go from there.  They were playing .700 ball club during the month of May where Boston had almost every starters during that period.  By the time everyone come back healthy, and give them three weeks, and if they continue to struggle, then Theo need to make a couple moves.  Right now Reddick can play RF and saving $$$ to the club.  Boston can just DFA Cameron/Mcdonald!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

In Response to Re: Is our hitting over-rated?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is our hitting over-rated? : Yes. And a Yankee fan is here worrying about what Sox fans are saying about their team on a Red Sox forum on Boston.com. Is the Sheriff off tonight? After all, everyone should know by now that you're the true deputy.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

yankee fans never worry. that's your job. if you were not a red sox fan, you would know that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is our hitting over-rated? : How many ABs did Drew, Cameron, and McDonald have tonight? Blame the table-setter, All-Star, MVP, and HOF Bellsbury for his inability to get on base. As his numbers slide back towards his career norms, our record will slide until Francona stops relying on him and we trade him to the Dodgers, along with two B prospects, for Matt Kemp.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw[/QUOTE] I'm with you nobody say's a word about the top of the line up. Pedy's been god awful all year but nobody say anything.
    Ells has been sliding for about 2-3 weeks of nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Hello fellow RS fans ...

Look at the standings.  Whine all you want, but we have been playing awful ... and we are right there near the top.  Don't listen to any spin on this, this is a great team.  Giants won last year - did anybody have a clue they would even make the playoffs at this time last year?   Enough of this history-this, and history-that.  If 2004 hasn't taught you to love our team and handle the rough spots, then at least man-up and wait until August before pronouncing the sky is falling.

I like our chances of busting out the bats today.   Gut feeling.   1:00 game means I can listen at work ... can't wait.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]"having crawford on the DL isn't helping."--------------nusoxfan don't mean to pop your 'i luv crawford balloon' but his contributions? are not being missed. his absence isn't  one of the reasons the sox suk. note to all theo and crawford lovers: this free agent signing of crawford by inepstein will make the drew signing seem ingenious. it will also make the slackey signing seem like the work of a genius. btw, the philly offense is terrible--getting only 2 runs off slackey in 7+ innings proves it.
    Posted by thee-yazzer[/QUOTE] it may be an expensive signing but Boston's offense really took off when he started hitting better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

It's not overrated against righties.

Against lefties they've got issues.

Despite his slow start, I like Crawford, but that signing has never made any sense to me. Too many years, too much money, and it made the lineup too lefthanded.

Now, most years it wouldn't be that big a problem, but heading into 2011 the following concerns already existed, before they signed Crawford and made the lineup that much more left-leaning:

1--Youkilis was coming off thumb surgery. Thumb surgery. The thumb is part of the hand; the hand plays an integral role in swinging the bat. It's not much of a surprise to me that his production has been down so far this year.

2--Pedroia was coming off a major foot injury. He's turned it on of late, but even at his best he's not what you'd call a power hitter.

3--Drew and Ortiz were so bad against lefties last year that both of them were sitting against lefties over the final couple of months. Ortiz, thankfully, has managed to turn things around this season so far, but Drew clearly is on the last legs of his career, and is playing like it.

4--Cameron is old and was never going to be able to produce at a level high enough to justify a Drew/Cameron platoon situation in RF.

5--McDonald was a nice story in 2010, but there's a reason why he'd been a career minor leaguer prior to that.

Add up all of these issues even before the season began and you already had a need for a RH bat to play the outfield.

While it's true that Crawford being on the DL and the DH being unavailable during this ridiculous roadtrip through the NL hasn't helped matters (I've always hated interleague play, even when the Sox were routinely going 12-6 against the NL every year, but that's another soap box for another day)----the bottom line is that the Sox are vulnerable against lefthanders, and they will continue to be unless Theo does something about it prior to July 31.

I've heard Carlos Beltran's name mentioned on some TV and radio shows. If the Mets are willing to part with him and the price tag isn't too high (Reddick should get it done), then they've got to make that move IMO.

A reliable, everyday righthanded bat with power is a must for them over the last three months of the season, I think.

The reason why the Yankees, even with their pitching in dissaray most of the time, are 2.5 games ahead right now is that their lineup is deep, powerful, and balanced on both sides of the plate.

Offense rules the regular season; pitching rules in October. But to get to October, you have to be able to hit EVERYONE, not just righthanders, consistently.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Is our hitting over-rated?:
    [QUOTE]Far and away the best hit of the night--and the best clutch hit in some time--was by the pitcher.  Ortiz is back in the lineup, ditto Salty and Reddick.  No Cameron, Drew, or McDonald.  And a grand total of 5 hits in 7 inning.  And no dingers.  This is of course just one game, but it's actually more than that:  the last two against San Diego (at Fenway); three at Pittsburgh; and now two in Philly.  What's reassuring is that Ortiz is probably a better firstbaseman than Philly has, and Gonzalez is probably a better rightfielder than Cameron, who has poor judgment and is error prone. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I don't think our hitting is overated.  Our fans and opposing teams know our weaknesses, as we do theirs.  Theo can't correct all our issues overnight but I believe in his ability to continue working in the organizations best interest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

We've been losing without Crawford, when Crawford comes back if we are still losing you can complain about the signing, but right now I see a direct correlation between our team winning and Carl Crawfrod being in the lineup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

[QUOTE]It's not overrated against righties. Against lefties they've got issues. Despite his slow start, I like Crawford, but that signing has never made any sense to me. Too many years, too much money, and it made the lineup too lefthanded. Now, most years it wouldn't be that big a problem, but heading into 2011 the following concerns already existed, before they signed Crawford and made the lineup that much more left-leaning: 1--Youkilis was coming off thumb surgery. Thumb surgery. The thumb is part of the hand; the hand plays an integral role in swinging the bat. It's not much of a surprise to me that his production has been down so far this year. 2--Pedroia was coming off a major foot injury. He's turned it on of late, but even at his best he's not what you'd call a power hitter. 3--Drew and Ortiz were so bad against lefties last year that both of them were sitting against lefties over the final couple of months. Ortiz, thankfully, has managed to turn things around this season so far, but Drew clearly is on the last legs of his career, and is playing like it. 4--Cameron is old and was never going to be able to produce at a level high enough to justify a Drew/Cameron platoon situation in RF. 5--McDonald was a nice story in 2010, but there's a reason why he'd been a career minor leaguer prior to that. Add up all of these issues even before the season began and you already had a need for a RH bat to play the outfield. While it's true that Crawford being on the DL and the DH being unavailable during this ridiculous roadtrip through the NL hasn't helped matters (I've always hated interleague play, even when the Sox were routinely going 12-6 against the NL every year, but that's another soap box for another day)----the bottom line is that the Sox are vulnerable against lefthanders, and they will continue to be unless Theo does something about it prior to July 31. I've heard Carlos Beltran's name mentioned on some TV and radio shows. If the Mets are willing to part with him and the price tag isn't too high (Reddick should get it done), then they've got to make that move IMO. A reliable, everyday righthanded bat with power is a must for them over the last three months of the season, I think. The reason why the Yankees, even with their pitching in dissaray most of the time, are 2.5 games ahead right now is that their lineup is deep, powerful, and balanced on both sides of the plate. Offense rules the regular season; pitching rules in October. But to get to October, you have to be able to hit EVERYONE, not just righthanders, consistently.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]
    It does not seem to me that their starting pitching is in disarray

1.         C Sabathia       10        4          3.25

2.         A Burnett          8        6           4.05

3.         I Nova               7         4          4.26

4.         F Garcia            7         6          3.28

5.         B Colon            5         3          3.10

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

Guess we're throwing in the towel today with Sutton at 3rd, Macdonald in RF, and Reddick in LF. Our bench is absolute garbage and with Crawford and Drew out (not that they've been much better) it's being proven. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Is our hitting over-rated?:
    [QUOTE]Far and away the best hit of the night--and the best clutch hit in some time--was by the pitcher.  Ortiz is back in the lineup, ditto Salty and Reddick.  No Cameron, Drew, or McDonald.  And a grand total of 5 hits in 7 inning.  And no dingers.  This is of course just one game, but it's actually more than that:  the last two against San Diego (at Fenway); three at Pittsburgh; and now two in Philly.  What's reassuring is that Ortiz is probably a better firstbaseman than Philly has, and Gonzalez is probably a better rightfielder than Cameron, who has poor judgment and is error prone. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]The offense was over rated when the RS were putting up football scores nightly two weeks back and it is quickly becoming under rated now that the RS are going through one of those creul stretches that a failure based game like baseball creates.

That and this isn't the same offense right now. It is no surprise that IMO that the RS scoring has stalled as the red hot Ellsbury went into an inevitable slump. Not when you add to it that the RS RF has been unproductive and Crawford's injury exposed LF to same unproductive group of OFers, with only the exception of the hot young Mr. Reddick. With Ortiz in the line-up they run 5 deep right now, without 4 deep. 4-5 probable outs or 12 -15 a game is a lot of empty slots. It is like playing with 15 - 12 outs a game versus 27.

It will pass and the RS will hit in .300+ range with RISP again and the threads about 1000 runs scored in 2011 will reappear.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]Guess we're throwing in the towel today with Sutton at 3rd, Macdonald in RF, and Reddick in LF. Our bench is absolute garbage and with Crawford and Drew out (not that they've been much better) it's being proven. 
    Posted by RSNS14[/QUOTE]

good post! for 180 million dollars one would expect something better.

"no bad signing goes unpunished."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

And if we win today?  It could happen.  It is a day game today ... Sox love playing in the daylight.  I expect a lot more offense from them, regardless of Sutton or Dmac.   Youk wasn't hitting anyway, he needed a day off.  Get him fresh for the Astros ....  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes2. Show goznes2's posts

Yes, the hitting is over-rated.  Double digit run production one day, no runs or few runs the next means a .500 team unles the pitching gives an outstanding performance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

How the Martinez/Adrian Beltre-for-Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford swap out has gone for the Sox. Not much of a difference. V-Mart/Beltre have combined for a .293 average with 19 homers and 97 RBIs in 522 at-bats. The A-Gon/Crawford combo has a .306 average with 21 homers and 100 RBIs in 571 at-bats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SurfinSoxFan. Show SurfinSoxFan's posts

its not that the sox offense is over rated its just that with playing the NL there are too many black holes right now in the line up...
     with Crawford out and the sox playing in the national league it creates 3 black holes in the line up instead of the 1 or 2 you would normally expect... Not having Papi in the the line up is hurting them...if you take your 2nd best hitter out of the line up, its going to kill you...  hopefully Francona will keep Gonzo in RF for the remainder of the trip... Just my opinion but hes a ML ball player he could play RF... hes got just as much a chance of getting hurt in RF then he does playing 1B...

JD is done... and for you idiots that said crawford isnt a great player, man are you dumb... with crawford in, it changes the whole dynamic of that line up...when he gets on it causes havic for pitchers, which helps the other sox hitters...those of you that dont know that have never played ball or only look at the numbers...

if your looking at the team while playing the AL the 1 -5 hitters looks awesome, Ells, Pedi, Gonzo, Youk, Papi.... after those 5 its ahhhh not so great... add crawford back in there for the 6th spot it would be better....scuturo is actually doing what you would expect from him, .270 hitter... catcher and RF is whats suspect, although Salty and Tek have been more productive of late. (before the 9 game NL trip). RF is a total black hole... Mcdonald, Cameron and Drew all should be DFA...Eat the last 1/2 year of drew and Camerons contracts and make a trade for a Righty RFer...Theo could get a player with better production or let the kid reddick man it until he proves he can or cant hack it...

it also doesnt matter if for 2011 the line up is LH heavy.  next year... Drew is gone... RF opens up for a RH, also Papi has also been really good against LHP this year (Surprise) so has Gonzo. although I expect Papi back, there is still no gaurentee... so DH also opens up and they could plug a RH in that spot as well... although I would rather they bring Papi back for 2 years...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is our hitting over-rated? : The offense was over rated when the RS were putting up football scores nightly two weeks back and it is quickly becoming under rated now that the RS are going through one of those creul stretches that a failure based game like baseball creates. That and this isn't the same offense right now. It is no surprise that IMO that the RS scoring has stalled as the red hot Ellsbury went into an inevitable slump. Not when you add to it that the RS RF has been unproductive and Crawford's injury exposed LF to same unproductive group of OFers, with only the exception of the hot young Mr. Reddick. With Ortiz in the line-up they run 5 deep right now, without 4 deep. 4-5 probable outs or 12 -15 a game is a lot of empty slots. It is like playing with 15 - 12 outs a game versus 27. It will pass and the RS will hit in .300+ range with RISP again and the threads about 1000 runs scored in 2011 will reappear.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  This is no doubt temporary, but nonetheless painful.  Ellsbury didn't look like much last night, but hit the ball hard--right to Philly fielders--three times against Lee on Tuesday night, so maybe his slump, if it is that, will be short.  During the 9 game winning streak he had 20 hits. 

Today with Youk's other bad ankle taking him out, McDonald bats second and Pedroia at clean-up and Varitek 5th.  Heavens to betsy. 

You or someone else pointed out that 9 games in a row in NL parks is unusual scheduling and, of course, couldn't come at a worse time. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

An objective viewpoint is hard to find on here .  People go from one extreme to the other. Having watched the team all season, I would honestly say that their offense is pretty good but certainly not nearly as awesome as some fans think. Some of the stats have been inflated in blowout wins, but all too often, they have been shut down by somewhat less than great pitching.  All in all, I would have to say that they are somewhat overrated.  Their success in the second half will depend greatly on their starting pitching.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Offense 1-5 awesome, 6-9 non existant.

Pitching 1-3 good, 4-5 pathetic.

No middle ground as of today.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Teams  run hot and cold     all teams  do... reme,ber when we were 2-10 ?
    They'll snap out of it  just like then some team will    give up 40 runs to them in a 3 game series.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]An objective viewpoint is hard to find on here .  People go from one extreme to the other. Having watched the team all season, I would honestly say that their offense is pretty good but certainly not nearly as awesome as some fans think. Some of the stats have been inflated in blowout wins, but all too often, they have been shut down by somewhat less than great pitching.  All in all, I would have to say that they are somewhat overrated.  Their success in the second half will depend greatly on their starting pitching.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]Over 162 and relatively healthy they are an elite offense, possibly the best in baseball. They aren't overly dependent on HRs, with Crawford and Ells they have disruptive speed, most of the hitters are selective and run up pitch counts in a hurry. Healthy and with their DH they are a nasty group to face.  

The pithing over 162 is always more cloudy an issue because of health etc. But if Lackey pitches like he did last night more often, the RS have a fine rotation and the bullpen has all the pieces. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]No it's not overrated.  They are in a slump right now on top of the fact that Crawford isn't in there and Ortiz has been very part time over the last week or so. What's awful is the OF depth on this team, which is something that has to be addressed.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

It might be, I'm nervous

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I still want to know who this "over-rating" website, person or agency is that everyone seems to constantly quote. 

Please direct me.

-Daf. 

Sections
Shortcuts