Is Papelbon pitching himself right out of Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Is Papelbon pitching himself right out of Boston?

With Papelbon pitching virtually lights out this season, does it seem less likely he will be back next season. If I'm not mistaken he said he wants to set the bar in payscale not just for him, but for all closers. With the way he is performing this year, it sure looks like the price will be high to retain his services. Theo will have his work cut out for him & I doubt there will be any hometown discounts from Paps to remain in Boston. I personally would love to see him re-signed but will the Sox pony up for him & make him the highest paid closer in the game which I'm sure is what he will ask for? Funny how players always seem to have career seasons in their contract year. I would hate to see him on another team, especially the Yanks who I'm sure will have their noses right in there. Any thoughts....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Is Papelbon pitching himself right out of Boston?

There are already two threads where this is being discussed:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a2148198b-a3fc-4f23-a5e9-91ef061d00ff

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3abd09176c-db12-4f31-a079-ea5a217734f3

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Is Papelbon pitching himself right out of Boston?:
    [QUOTE]With Papelbon pitching virtually lights out this season, does it seem less likely he will be back next season. If I'm not mistaken he said he wants to set the bar in payscale not just for him, but for all closers. With the way he is performing this year, it sure looks like the price will be high to retain his services. Theo will have his work cut out for him & I doubt there will be any hometown discounts from Paps to remain in Boston. I personally would love to see him re-signed but will the Sox pony up for him & make him the highest paid closer in the game which I'm sure is what he will ask for? Funny how players always seem to have career seasons in their contract year. I would hate to see him on another team, especially the Yanks who I'm sure will have their noses right in there. Any thoughts....
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Paps future in Boston could come down to the PS.  His stats are impressive this season but if he falters again in the PS against the best hitters, I would say Theo's decision might get easier.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I don't think it's any secret that Papelbon will go to the highest bidder.  And that will most likely be a large market team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

maybe so, but do you see him going to some chump team with no hope for the post season like the cubbies??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Is Papelbon pitching himself right out of Boston?:
    [QUOTE]maybe so, but do you see him going to some chump team with no hope for the post season like the cubbies??
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

I don't think Theo will go crazy trying to re-sign Pap if his demands get out of hand.  Every team can use a good closer but lets face it, closers do normally pitch one inning so I'm sure Theo has his limit.  I'm also not worried about Pap closing against us if he pitches elsewhere, we know him like a book.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Pap to the Phillies?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I could see the Phillies going for him big time, but I cant see how the Yankees who have Rivera and Soriano under contract for next year at 26mm combined signing Papelbon for another 12-15m per...even with their payroll ability. Other than those two..the Angels seem pretty set with Walden and will need to spend Money elsewhere(offense)....so I cant see there being a bidding war for him which should limit his get.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Boston doesn't deserve Papelbon, a rural stupid redneck, according to most Boston fans.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Boston doesn't deserve Papelbon, a rural stupid redneck, according to most Boston fans.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

You sure do love to ascribe broadstroke viewpoints to Sox fans.  Personally, I love that heyseed cracka.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

smiliar to Ortiz, who is paying Paplbon more than the Sox? Yankees have sori and Mo, and have to resign CC. Phillies need to sign Hamels. Cheaper alternatives out there are Bell and Krod. I dont see a big demand for Paplbon and Sox can trump any offer they wish.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Is Papelbon pitching himself right out of Boston?:
    [QUOTE]With Papelbon pitching virtually lights out this season, does it seem less likely he will be back next season. If I'm not mistaken he said he wants to set the bar in payscale not just for him, but for all closers. With the way he is performing this year, it sure looks like the price will be high to retain his services. Theo will have his work cut out for him & I doubt there will be any hometown discounts from Paps to remain in Boston. I personally would love to see him re-signed but will the Sox pony up for him & make him the highest paid closer in the game which I'm sure is what he will ask for? Funny how players always seem to have career seasons in their contract year. I would hate to see him on another team, especially the Yanks who I'm sure will have their noses right in there. Any thoughts....
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Whatever.   I don't care.   No negativity until we knock the Yanks out of the playoffs.  After that a comet can crash into us for all I care. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Papelbon pitching himself right out of Boston? : You sure do love to ascribe broadstroke viewpoints to Sox fans.  Personally, I love that heyseed cracka.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Now that is funny!  Perfect timing.  You are like Larry David.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

enjoyed that one too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

The closer is a funny position. You obviously need a reliable one if you're going to win, and having a closer blowing games can cripple a team...but at the end of the day, the majority of them are relief pitchers, and you don't want to invest a huge amount of money in any one reliever, unless they're long term proven.

In a way, I think the best fit is Boston. They're going to at least attempt to contend every year, will always attempt to have a solid pitching staff, and will need a reliable closer to do that. They also have the money to pay him. It's a good fit.

I don't see any of the other big spenders being able to afford him. The Yankees could use him down the road, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to sign him now. Of course, there's always the possibility that a poor team thinks that a closer will turn them around, and they give him big money. Think BJ Ryan in Toronto.

I assume he won't be back. Someone will give him the money he wants...also, there's this year, and last year, hard to say which one shows up next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Paps is wonderful antidote to Boston's traditional over-educated, smarty pants ethos. I love the guy and his hayseed antics. Long live the JP dance. Set it to 'Dirty Water.'

Also, I'd like to see him take skating lessons and audition for the Bruins. He'd play without a helmet and dare people to hit him, fists or puck. Your choice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I love that heyseed cracka.

His IQ is higher than entire sum of the IQ's on this board, excluding Softlaw.

Sections
Shortcuts