Is Papi Still Over the Hill?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Is Papi Still Over the Hill?

Just curious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

Re: Is Papi Still Over the Hill?

In Response to Is Papi Still Over the Hill?:
    Just curious.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

He certainly seems over the hump...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think all that happened to Ortiz in 2009 and 2010 was the wrist injury got him off to a slow start in 2009. And also he was getting into his 30s and it probably took time for him to realize what he had to do different to stay in top shape compared to his 20s. It happens to all of us. We hit our 30s and realize that if we're not careful the weight stays on and wehave to work harder to stay in the shape we were in in our 20s.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

He's still the best DH in baseball and we're damn lucky to have him! He's also an excellent clubhouse guy with natural leadership ability. Just wish we had him locked up for next season also.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Not over the hill, but paid more per year than he would have been on the open market.  So far he's living up to that salary though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Is Papi Still Over the Hill?:
    Not over the hill, but paid more per year than he would have been on the open market.  So far he's living up to that salary though.
    Posted by JB-3

Indeed JB.  The Sox F.O. taking a gamble that last year represents a trend for Papi, and last year being worth the money they paid him for this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Is Papi Still Over the Hill? : Indeed JB.  The Sox F.O. taking a gamble that last year represents a trend for Papi, and last year being worth the money they paid him for this year.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    And so far he looks even better this year than he did last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Is Papi Still Over the Hill? : And so far he looks even better this year than he did last year.
    Posted by carnie

Yeah carnie, looking like he should add about 20-30 steals to his stat line.  Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Maybe the fountain of youth is in the Domincan.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Maybe the fountain of youth is in the Domincan.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

All you have to do is stick your frosty cup in there, stir it up with some over the counter supplements, and, boom, delicious shake  Money mouth

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Funny that people would rather buy into a media created fake rift than talk about a guy hitting 400 plus with 10 RBI ..... Papi is killing the ball and the egos of the "let him walk ..we got lava " crowd!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

He's looking quick running the bases too this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

He will be very soon at 36 but right now he's one of the best players on the team. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Somehow he looks really really healthy......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Is Papi Still Over the Hill?:
    Just curious.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Are you suggesting we pay him another $15 million for 2013? Because if we don't the Nation still faces "disrespecting" our hero as he goes to the Yankees or Twins. The better he does this year the more severe the fall-out next winter..... yikes. Deja vu.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

As good a start as Ortiz is off to, he has declined since his peak years. I've always supported Ortiz as long as produces like he has. He won't be given a "good ole boy" contract, like Wastefield and Varitek, which is a good thing.

I hope Ortiz retires before he has to be kicked to the curb. If he ends this season with solid numbers, he should retire.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

As good a start as Ortiz is off to, he has declined since his peak years. I've always supported Ortiz as long as produces like he has. He won't be given a "good ole boy" contract, like Wastefield and Varitek, which is a good thing. I hope Ortiz retires before he has to be kicked to the curb. If he ends this season with solid numbers, he should retire.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Why is that?  Let's assume he finishes with near-2011 performance, is that what you mean by "solid numbers"?  Why should he retire if he is still productive?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It is called going out on top, which he will never do. He should though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Cuz lots of guys quit while able to put 30 and 100!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

It is called going out on top, which he will never do. He should though.
    Posted by BurritoT

Virtually no one goes out on top.  I wouldn't, I'd play until I couldn't anymore.  It's the game they love, and as competetive athletes always think they can do it. 

I would rather an athlete play a bit longer than they should rather than go out on top because I'd always wonder how much they left on the table (see Sanders, Barry).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

I just can't get over how really really healthy he looks...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Ortiz looks like he's having time of his life -- a slash hitter, a sprinter, a bit less surly with umpires, bear hugs all around, incandescent smiles.
    We should enjoy him enjoying himself -- and let the future take care of itself.

Sections
Shortcuts