Is Paps taking shots at the Nation??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Is Paps taking shots at the Nation??

or is this a pot stir from espn.com??.......

Jonathan Papelbon compares fans

Updated: March 8, 2012, 3:08 PM ET
    ESPNBoston.com

Former Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon took a shot at the Fenway faithful Thursday, telling a Philadelphia radio station that Phillies fans "tend to know the game a little better" than fans in Boston, who he said were "a little bit more hysterical when it comes to the game of baseball."

Papelbon, who signed with the Philadelphia Phillies as a free agent after spending six seasons as the best closer in Boston history, made the comments to a CBS radio station in Philadelphia when asked to compare the fans in the two cities.

"It's a religion (in Boston). It's a way of life," Papelbon said on 94WIP's "Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team." "(Fans) come to the field and they expect certain things out of players. ... It's an environment where you put up or shut up. I enjoyed that. That's what got my motor running every day. ... I've had a guy take off his prosthetic leg and throw it in the bullpen in Boston and want me to sign it."

Papelbon continued: "The Philly fans tend to know the game a little better, being in the National League, you know, the way the game is played."

Papelbon also said he had expected the Red Sox to be more aggressive in pursuing him in the offseason. The Phillies signed him early in free agency, locking him up with a four-year, $50 million deal.

"It was a situation where the Red Sox didn't really come at me the way I was expecting them to come at me in the offseason," Papelbon said during the radio interview. "And I told my agent that the first team that shows me interest and shows me loyalty, I'm going to show that right back to them, and that was Philadelphia."

Dropkick Murphys' front man Ken Casey caused a bit of a stir earlier in the week when he said Papelbon, whom he calls a friend, couldn't come out of the Phillies' bullpen to "Shipping Up To Boston," the popular Dropkick tune Papelbon used for years with the Red Sox.

Papelbon on Thursday would not reveal his new entrance song, but did say it wasn't by the Dropkick Murphys.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation??

In Response to Is Paps taking shots at the Nation??:
    [QUOTE]or is this a pot stir from espn.com??....... Jonathan Papelbon compares fans Updated: March 8, 2012, 3:08 PM ET ESPNBoston.com Former Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon took a shot at the Fenway faithful Thursday, telling a Philadelphia radio station that Phillies fans "tend to know the game a little better" than fans in Boston, who he said were "a little bit more hysterical when it comes to the game of baseball." Papelbon, who signed with the Philadelphia Phillies as a free agent after spending six seasons as the best closer in Boston history, made the comments to a CBS radio station in Philadelphia when asked to compare the fans in the two cities. "It's a religion (in Boston). It's a way of life," Papelbon said on 94WIP's "Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team." "(Fans) come to the field and they expect certain things out of players. ... It's an environment where you put up or shut up. I enjoyed that. That's what got my motor running every day. ... I've had a guy take off his prosthetic leg and throw it in the bullpen in Boston and want me to sign it." Papelbon continued: "The Philly fans tend to know the game a little better, being in the National League, you know, the way the game is played." Papelbon also said he had expected the Red Sox to be more aggressive in pursuing him in the offseason. The Phillies signed him early in free agency, locking him up with a four-year, $50 million deal. "It was a situation where the Red Sox didn't really come at me the way I was expecting them to come at me in the offseason," Papelbon said during the radio interview. "And I told my agent that the first team that shows me interest and shows me loyalty, I'm going to show that right back to them, and that was Philadelphia." Dropkick Murphys' front man Ken Casey caused a bit of a stir earlier in the week when he said Papelbon, whom he calls a friend, couldn't come out of the Phillies' bullpen to "Shipping Up To Boston," the popular Dropkick tune Papelbon used for years with the Red Sox. Papelbon on Thursday would not reveal his new entrance song, but did say it wasn't by the Dropkick Murphys.
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

I think he was just stating the obvious........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He flaps his jaws too much for my liking.

He also is a legend in his own mind.

In Boston the guy with the prosthetic leg wanted an autograph, In Philly , first time he blows a save there will probably be a prosthetic leg thrown at his head.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : I think he was just stating the obvious........
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE] i don't know Babe, i don't think he's gotten a taste of how the Philly fans can be yet.....i guarantee you a rough patch by Paps or the team will take care of that...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Is Paps taking shots at the Nation??:
    [QUOTE]or is this a pot stir from espn.com??....... Jonathan Papelbon compares fans Updated: March 8, 2012, 3:08 PM ET ESPNBoston.com Former Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon took a shot at the Fenway faithful Thursday, telling a Philadelphia radio station that Phillies fans "tend to know the game a little better" than fans in Boston, who he said were "a little bit more hysterical when it comes to the game of baseball." Papelbon, who signed with the Philadelphia Phillies as a free agent after spending six seasons as the best closer in Boston history, made the comments to a CBS radio station in Philadelphia when asked to compare the fans in the two cities. "It's a religion (in Boston). It's a way of life," Papelbon said on 94WIP's "Angelo Cataldi and The Morning Team." "(Fans) come to the field and they expect certain things out of players. ... It's an environment where you put up or shut up. I enjoyed that. That's what got my motor running every day. ... I've had a guy take off his prosthetic leg and throw it in the bullpen in Boston and want me to sign it." Papelbon continued: "The Philly fans tend to know the game a little better, being in the National League, you know, the way the game is played." Papelbon also said he had expected the Red Sox to be more aggressive in pursuing him in the offseason. The Phillies signed him early in free agency, locking him up with a four-year, $50 million deal. "It was a situation where the Red Sox didn't really come at me the way I was expecting them to come at me in the offseason," Papelbon said during the radio interview. "And I told my agent that the first team that shows me interest and shows me loyalty, I'm going to show that right back to them, and that was Philadelphia." Dropkick Murphys' front man Ken Casey caused a bit of a stir earlier in the week when he said Papelbon, whom he calls a friend, couldn't come out of the Phillies' bullpen to "Shipping Up To Boston," the popular Dropkick tune Papelbon used for years with the Red Sox. Papelbon on Thursday would not reveal his new entrance song, but did say it wasn't by the Dropkick Murphys.

Hey jete,

I get a kick out of players who say they want some respect.  That translates into I want to be overpaid and I will take the first offer that comes my way. Pedro was the same way, his career in the national league wasn't spectacular.

He isn't the only one who went to the national league, lowe comes to mind.  These guys know they will last longer there and they will get paid loads of money.

For pap it was a greedy move, if that's what floats his boat then so be it.  There are those who are loyal to their teams, there are those who take a hometown discount because they want to stay on a team.

I have the greatest respect for andy pettitte.  When the yanks didn't go after him aggressively the sox made him a good offer.  He refused saying he wouldn't do that to yank fans.

Unfortunately pap isn't of the same caliber as pettitte.

As far as insulting sox fans, look at the source.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : i don't know Babe, i don't think he's gotten a taste of how the Philly fans can be yet.....i guarantee you a rough patch by Paps or the team will take care of that...

LOL...after all, they did throw snowballs at Santa!

Tongue Out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]He flaps his jaws too much for my liking. He also is a legend in his own mind. In Boston the guy with the prosthetic leg wanted an autograph, In Philly , first time he blows a save there will probably be a prosthetic leg thrown at his head.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Philly fans have been called a lot things, I don't know that Knowledgable is one of them.

I'm sure lots of really knowledgable people throw batteries at other human beings or cheer when a football player is motionless on the turf. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Red Sox fans "hysterical?" Surely you jest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

IMO,he's just using the media to get the Phillies fans behind him.They'll eat up the nonsense he's spouting.
      I don't think Papelbon will ever get this seal:

Hey Jete !!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Funny how he was the greatest thing since sliced bread but now he's the worst thing on the planet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how he was the greatest thing since sliced bread but now he's the worst thing on the planet.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Hey babe!  Whats good?  (Uh oh, I feel a Pike attack coming)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : Hey babe!  Whats good?  (Uh oh, I feel a Pike attack coming)
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Alot of rain and wind down here.

How's the mrs and baby space?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Papelbon is exactly right but he probably based that remark based on listening to Boston radio with Felger, Mazz, and the crew at WEEI, and might have read this forum. It's a well known fact that New Englanders because of their Pilgrim / Puritan heritage are the most somber, pessimistic, self-punishing population in the USA. Papelbon hits the nail on the head. Yankee fans such as J-Bay, Zac, Examiner, Jeter, Babe, and JesseyEric come here and laugh at us for being so predictably morbid. Philly fans by default have to be better fans.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how he was the greatest thing since sliced bread but now he's the worst thing on the planet.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Nah, I have no hard feelings against the guy.  He is not the most intelligent guy on the planet, but he's still one of the best closers in the game.

That said, the Red Sox were smart not to sign him to that kind of a contract, don't you think?

Good to see you.  :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Aw, has there ever been an athlete that hasn't open mouth - insert foot?  A few rare ones, perhaps....

It's just lip service.  Dudes say that when they come to Boston (or Texas or Detroit or New York or Kansas City....well, maybe not Kansas City...).  I don't expect him to say "it's too bad Philly fans aren't as bright as Boston fans"...

It would be like telling your current girlfriend that your ex girlfriend was hotter than she is...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : Nah, I have no hard feelings against the guy.  He is not the most intelligent guy on the planet, but he's still one of the best closers in the game. That said, the Red Sox were smart not to sign him to that kind of a contract, don't you think? Good to see you.  :-)
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Hey Kimmi, nice to see you too. Laughing

I think it remains to be seen whether they were smart or not. He did hold up pretty well in his years in beantowne. Not everyone is cut out for it. Let's see how bailey handles it and also if he can stay healthy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

He's not the worst thing on the planet.  When he was our closer we loved him, now he closes for someone else, of course he isn't as well liked.  Common sense.

He let his dog eat the 2007 WS ball, this guy isn't the brightest star in the sky so everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]  IMO,he's just using the media to get the Phillies fans behind him.They'll eat up the nonsense he's spouting.   I don't think Papelbon will ever get this seal: Hey Jete !!!
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE] ...mojo, that's cold...c'mon Paps is just misunderstood...Sealed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : you must have really long arms, because you are totally reaching...feel free to show me a single Sox fan grumble post about the team's ills that i laughed at...

You laughed at me when I became a granny!Wink

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'll cut him some slack he's just playing to his new fans. He is right though Red Sox Baseball is religion in New England.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : He's not the worst thing on the planet.  When he was our closer we loved him, now he closes for someone else, of course he isn't as well liked.  Common sense.   He let his dog eat the 2007 WS ball, this guy isn't the brightest star in the sky so everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE]

I'm just pointing out that most never said anything bad about him but now do. It's not like the ball got eaten yesterday. He didn't get dumber since the fall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : You laughed at me when I became a granny!
    Posted by 67redsox[/QUOTE] lol..that's not a team ill...though that was wrong of me...i look forward to a possible grandchild/children..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : I'm just pointing out that most never said anything bad about him but now do. It's not like the ball got eaten yesterday. He didn't get dumber since the fall.
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

He isn't one of our own now, he left for more money.  That's reason enough to take pot shots at him.Money mouth

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Paps taking shots at the Nation?? : Alot of rain and wind down here. How's the mrs and baby space?
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

Doing great.  Spacebaby is exploding.  Knows her ABCs and numbers to 20.  I can't keep up.  I can tell she is smarter than me.

Getting psyched for my spring training junket in two weeks.  should be pretty exciting what with the comp for starter positions and also just to see Iggy play a little short before he hits Pawtucket.  starting in your neck o the woods to catch the sox vs. marlins then driving over to the gulf side for a coupel games and try to scalp something at jet blue.

Sections
Shortcuts