Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?

Can only think of two that come close.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?

Cano is a much better hitter. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?:
    [QUOTE]Can only think of two that come close. Thoughts?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]
    Let's not forget Ian Kinsler, who tattooed Red Sox pitching in the season-opening series (1.971 OPS).

Here are the OPS rankings for secondbasemen this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=2b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0

The past two calendar years:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=2b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2011&month=11&season1=2011&ind=0

The past three calendar years:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=2b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2011&month=12&season1=2011&ind=0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would like to think he is but , realistically, would have to go with Cano. Cano has more power. The ball seems to jump off his bat. Still, have to love Pedey's overall game and everything he brings to the team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?:
    [QUOTE]Can only think of two that come close. Thoughts?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

No, he is very good though and a gamer as well as a sparkplug.  Pedroia is a throwback player, hes damn good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Mikey, I am SHOCKED you dont think Pedroia is the best hitting second baseman in the AL. I cant imagine who you think isUndecidedTongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?:
    [QUOTE]Mikey, I am SHOCKED you dont think Pedroia is the best hitting second baseman in the AL. I cant imagine who you think is
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Well it asked for both leagues but J if he were I would definitely say so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

mikey my point being, regardless of what team anyone roots for, bias always plays into it to some degree. a fan of any team doesnt watch any player more than their own, so its hard to be completely objective.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]mikey my point being, regardless of what team anyone roots for, bias always plays into it to some degree. a fan of any team doesnt watch any player more than their own, so its hard to be completely objective.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I know that but it doesn't prevent us from answering the question.  I can say that despite the Yankees team ERA being lower than  the Sox, the Sox have better starting pitching and I'm a Yankee fan I wish that were not so.  Cano is a better hitter (not by leaps and bounds) I think you'll find most MLB analysts agree on that.  Even some Sox fans will admit that as Cano rakes at Fenway.  The Sox are not losing much at all having Pedroia at 2nd base, the guy is a hell of a player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : I know that but it doesn't prevent us from answering the question.  I can say that despite the Yankees team ERA being lower than  the Sox, the Sox have better starting pitching and I'm a Yankee fan I wish that were not so.  Cano is a better hitter (not by leaps and bounds) I think you'll find most MLB analysts agree on that.  Even some Sox fans will admit that as Cano rakes at Fenway.  The Sox are not losing much at all having Pedroia at 2nd base, the guy is a hell of a player.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]Agreed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : I know that but it doesn't prevent us from answering the question.  I can say that despite the Yankees team ERA being lower than  the Sox, the Sox have better starting pitching and I'm a Yankee fan I wish that were not so.  Cano is a better hitter (not by leaps and bounds) I think you'll find most MLB analysts agree on that.  Even some Sox fans will admit that as Cano rakes at Fenway.  The Sox are not losing much at all having Pedroia at 2nd base, the guy is a hell of a player.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

well said mikey. i'm glad pedroia plays for the red sox and will leave it at that

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

I think Cano is an overall better player but if asked who i would rather have on the team pedey or Cano my answer would be pedey. They both do the job they need to do on the team. Cano's excellent fielding and power hitting brings together a good offensive lineup. But Pedey is the spark plug to this offense, a gamer, and more without pedey on this team we would be nothing. Cano is the man that drives in runs in NY but for us pedey is more of the guy who drives in the runs in the dire situation and is usually on-base so we have someone to drive in. I would rank pedey as the 3rd best second basemen behind cano then utley and have Kinsler as a close fourth. There is some pretty good players at Second so it will be interesting to see which makes the hall of fame and how they each progress over their career. Utley is the oldest of the four and then Kinsler, Cano, Pedey are around the same age with kinsler and cano turning 29 and Pedey is turning 28 this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

Mikey plays base with Phish. Better respect him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]Mikey plays base with Phish. Better respect him.
    Posted by ConcernTroll[/QUOTE]

I wish, I wish I were just a roadie.  Instead I'm always scrambling for tickets after I don't get all of mine through mail order.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Horace Clarke

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Seems to me the answer is clearly no, certainly over the past 2 seasons.  There's a 2B the Yankees have that has been kicking a** and taking names over the past 2 seasons at the plate...not even that close, to be honest.

Is Pedroia the best second baseman in the AL/NL?  That's a different question.  Given the same age, same health, same contract....I think I'd take Pedroia....every time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

This forum is extremely important in the daily life of Mikey / Jessey / J-Bay. Let them spread themselves thin in an effort to keep threads alive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]This forum is extremely important in the daily life of Mikey / Jessey / J-Bay. Let them spread themselves thin in an effort to keep threads alive.
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

4/2/2011 and a hyphen
    You're suspect.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]This forum is extremely important in the daily life of Mikey / Jessey / J-Bay. Let them spread themselves thin in an effort to keep threads alive.
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

I actually thought you might be a decent contributor to this board when I first saw your initial posts.

But now your intentions are clear. Here's an idea: Try to

TALK  BASEBALL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbev97. Show kbev97's posts

Does anyone have a score of the Yankee game?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone have a score of the Yankee game?
    Posted by kbev97[/QUOTE]

2-0 Yanks but they don't have a hit.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : No, he is very good though and a gamer as well as a sparkplug.  Pedroia is a throwback player, hes damn good.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx[/QUOTE]

I saw your signature.  Those Chinese characters mean Red Sox Nation.   :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : I saw your signature.  Those Chinese characters mean Red Sox Nation.   :)
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

I can assure that they don't Stewie but I am a big fan of yours!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Not recently....  BUT, in general he IS certainly one of the best.  I don't think he gets NEAR ENOUGH credit for his defense!!!!  The guy is a giant!!!  I absolutely loves the way Pedey plays the game.  Tough, big swing, fears NO pitcher, protects the plate as well as ANYONE in the game, will hit .300+, 20+ home-runs, & I HONESTLY think he is the BEST second baseman playing the game right now (including Cano)!  OK, yeh!  I'm definitely biased, but he's certainly in the top 3!  Still, I wouldn't take any of the others over Pedey!

p.s.   Yes!  I was knocking him big time during during his first month as a Red Sox player.  Thank God they stuck with him!!!!!  :)

Sections
Shortcuts