Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?

In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL?:
    [QUOTE]No, he is not even in the top 4 if you go AL/NL it should go 1-Utley- Number one for now but.... 2-Cano- Did they build that New Stadium for the Guy? 3-Kinsler- As long as he plays in Texas he is going to be in the conversation 4-Phillips- Compare his 2007 to Pedroia charity MVP Season of '08 5-Pedroia-  Has played 4 years, Good hitter but to small to stay healthy, won't factor in anything in 3 years.
    Posted by massillon8[/QUOTE]

You're nuts. Pedroia is the ultimate sparkplug, a great team player, gung-ho, takes and/or fouls off a ton of pitches, rarely makes a mental mistake in the field, is a great 2B otherwise, steals a ton of bases and rarely gets caught despite his average speed, ditto for his power, and is, at times, impossible to get out, especially in the clutch. Your assessment of him was how he was looked at before he got to the bigs, and completely overlooks the intangibles.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Kim - Please stop trying to ethnically cleanse this board.  If you don't like the fact there are non-Red Sox fans on the board, then go find a place where you can be surrounded by only people who agree with you.  As a Red Sox fan myself, I can honestly say your intolerant behavior is, quite frankly, an embarrassment to all of Red Sox Nation.
    Posted by redsoxfan791[/QUOTE]

redsoxfan791,

I'm pretty new here, but I've noticed the same thing with guys like Jamaica.  It's as though they have decided to become the Praetorian Guard, laying in wait for anyone who dares to engage in a tough / hard hitting critique of one of our guys.  I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!  All the guys I know, who talk about the Sox, openly talk about the GOOD & the BAD, day in & day out.  We have honest, & often passionate conversations about what's going on with the team, & NOBODY avoids problem areas.  These are the kinds of guys I know, & I think that encompasses MOST REAL Red Sox fans.  I just don't get the guys that creep around waiting for somebody to say something they disagree with, & POUNCE on them!!!!  Trying to convince everyone that they are SECRET Yankee fans.  I suppose there probably are a few SECRET Yankee fans here, just trying to stir things up, but WHO THE HELL has time to keep track of that nonsense??????

As for Harness???  Like I say, I'm new here, but from what I've seen, he's been pretty reasonable.  Perhaps I'm missing something????  I don't really have time to keep track of all these guys........

Back to the guys "laying in wait........"  My contention is that rather than lay in wait, they might attempt to just get layed??????  Perhaps that's the problem??
    What else could possibly posses someone to spend their day chasing people around a board calling people "fake Red Sox fans????"  Making claims that they are such & such alias????  SERIOUSLY!!!!  Who has that kind of time??? OR that kind of disorder????  Also, WHAT'S WITH THE "I told you so crowd?"  You know, the ones demanding that anyone with legitimate gripes about guys like Dice-k, to sign apologies??????  Are they kidding????  REALLY!  So, because someone points out that Dice-K has been awful the last 2 years, they demand that you suddenly apologize??? LOL  LOL   LOL  It's a bit weird.......

Anyway,  I'm DON'T want to start a fight, but I am curious???  It's tough to keep up with the guys that jump on, bash you upside the head, call you this alias or that, & jump back off.  WEIRD!  

Well...................  GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Back to Pedroia......  I wouldn't trade him for ANYONE in the league!!!!!  Not even Cano!  Great bat!  Great fielder!  But his value to this team goes WAY BEYOND the tangibles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]I'm new here also and I am a Yankee fan. I agree with what Rick Pitino said in another thread which is that Boston fans in general are the most negative fans in the USA. Dennis Eckersely also has labeled the Red Sox as having the most manic-depressive fanbase. I find it very entertaining to come here and watch the optimists and pessmists go at it in a free for all. Yankee fans aren't this way at all since Yankee fans are more confidant, faithful, and optimistic. We Yankee fans just love to see the feuds over the simplest of things. Better than watching the Three Stooges or the Keystone Kops.
    Posted by MikeyinQueens[/QUOTE]

So let me get this one straight..... you're a yankee fan who comes on a red sox board, states that watching red sox fans is better than watching the 3 stooges or keystone kops but the general point of your post is that red sox fans are negative?  I hope the irony is not lost.

For the record, I don't know why anyone cares what Rick Pitino thinks.  The guy turns the greatest franchise in the NBA into something almost as pathetic as the Knicks but he can't wrap his head around the negativity?  Hey Rick, go back to banging s l u t s  at bars and losing to Murray State in the first round.... how's that for positivity?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Oh, and Cano is a better hitter than Pedrioa, he has more pop but Nomar was a better hitter than Jeter for about 5 years there too.  If I may quote myself, I said early on, 2008ish, that I saw Pedey's career arc being very similar to that of #2 in the Bronx.  Both are major cogs on championship teams as rookies, both seem to have the undefinable leadership quality, and while Pedey might not ever be knocking on the door of 3,000, or maybe he will, I think a decade of All-star caliber production at 2B is a given at this point.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]I'm new here also and I am a Yankee fan. I agree with what Rick Pitino said in another thread which is that Boston fans in general are the most negative fans in the USA. Dennis Eckersely also has labeled the Red Sox as having the most manic-depressive fanbase. I find it very entertaining to come here and watch the optimists and pessmists go at it in a free for all. Yankee fans aren't this way at all since Yankee fans are more confidant, faithful, and optimistic. We Yankee fans just love to see the feuds over the simplest of things. Better than watching the Three Stooges or the Keystone Kops.

Blow it out your @$$ Mikey!  :)  Just kidding...... But, this is why you guys constantly have ALL THOSE empty seats in your stands. 

Hey!  We're passionate & most of us grew up saying what we think, without the PC nonsense that is SO prevalent in NY!  Enjoy your Yankees!  We'll be there with you at the end of the season.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Cano’s concerning swing data

By Matt Imbrogno On April 25, 2011

Even though Cano’s hitting well, I’m starting to get worried about just how much he is swinging. Have we already lost the patient version of Robbie Cano?

I think a fair question is “Did we ever have him in the first place?” Many point to last year’s career high in walks as evidence that Cano was finally starting to learn patience, but digging deeper, we see that might not be entirely accurate. Taking out IBBs, Cano walked 43 times in 2010. That was still a career high, as was his 6.3 uBB%. That certainly helps his case. But in 2010, Cano had a career high Out of Zone Swing%, at 36.5%. So it seems that despite his tendency to chase a lot of pitches, Cano ended up with a great-for-him walk total.

2011 has seen Cano swing at 38.3% of the out of zone pitches he’s seen thus far (not including Sunday’s game) and he’s walked just once on the season. The other results have been there, as he entered Sunday’s game hitting over .300 and slugging .577 (.389 wOBA, identical to last year’s mark). Still, I can’t help but be worried about these semi-alarming swing numbers.

Not only is Cano’s OOZ% a career high, but so is his In Zone (Z) Swing% at 81.4%, a full NINE percent above his career average. His overall swing% is also at a career high level, 56.3%, 3.9% over his career mark. So Robbie, right now, is chasing too many pitches out of the zone, is hacking at more pitches in the zone than normal, and just swinging at a higher rate than normal. Why’s this happening?

Part of it is just how Robbie is…he’s a free-swinging, high-contact making, good-hitting baseball player. Part of it could be a little frustration. Yeah, that’s a bit of psychology and projecting, but there’s at least one piece of data that backs it up. Cano is seeing a career low 41.8% of pitches in the strike zone. So far in 2011, pitchers are staying away from Robbie. Perhaps he’s getting annoyed with this and is just swinging at whatever good comes his way.

Am I just making a mountain out of a small sample mole hill? Possibly. Cano’s contact rates, both in the zone and overall, are about normal. However, his OOZ contact percentage is at 76.1%, which could be leading to some bad contact….and it kind of is.

Cano’s BABIP, .333, is actually ABOVE his career mark of .322, but I think we’ve seen a bit of luck on Robbie’s side. His line drive percentage is way down at 16.4%, so he’s not hitting the ball as hard as we’re used to (19.2% LD for his career). But, despite that, the hits are still falling. This is what has me worried about Cano’s approach. What if the lack of line drives catches up to Robbie and he’s still not taking his walks? That could be troubling. The flip side, though, is that he’s also likely to see his LD% rise. But can that happen when he’s chasing so many bad pitches?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Cano’s concerning swing data By Matt Imbrogno On April 25, 2011 Even though Cano’s hitting well, I’m starting to get worried about just how much he is swinging. Have we already lost the patient version of Robbie Cano? I think a fair question is “Did we ever have him in the first place?” Many point to last year’s career high in walks as evidence that Cano was finally starting to learn patience, but digging deeper, we see that might not be entirely accurate. Taking out IBBs, Cano walked 43 times in 2010. That was still a career high, as was his 6.3 uBB%. That certainly helps his case. But in 2010, Cano had a career high Out of Zone Swing%, at 36.5%. So it seems that despite his tendency to chase a lot of pitches, Cano ended up with a great-for-him walk total. 2011 has seen Cano swing at 38.3% of the out of zone pitches he’s seen thus far (not including Sunday’s game) and he’s walked just once on the season. The other results have been there, as he entered Sunday’s game hitting over .300 and slugging .577 (.389 wOBA, identical to last year’s mark). Still, I can’t help but be worried about these semi-alarming swing numbers. Not only is Cano’s OOZ% a career high, but so is his In Zone (Z) Swing% at 81.4%, a full NINE percent above his career average. His overall swing% is also at a career high level, 56.3%, 3.9% over his career mark. So Robbie, right now, is chasing too many pitches out of the zone, is hacking at more pitches in the zone than normal, and just swinging at a higher rate than normal. Why’s this happening? Part of it is just how Robbie is…he’s a free-swinging, high-contact making, good-hitting baseball player. Part of it could be a little frustration. Yeah, that’s a bit of psychology and projecting, but there’s at least one piece of data that backs it up. Cano is seeing a career low 41.8% of pitches in the strike zone. So far in 2011, pitchers are staying away from Robbie. Perhaps he’s getting annoyed with this and is just swinging at whatever good comes his way. Am I just making a mountain out of a small sample mole hill? Possibly. Cano’s contact rates, both in the zone and overall, are about normal. However, his OOZ contact percentage is at 76.1%, which could be leading to some bad contact….and it kind of is. Cano’s BABIP, .333, is actually ABOVE his career mark of .322, but I think we’ve seen a bit of luck on Robbie’s side. His line drive percentage is way down at 16.4%, so he’s not hitting the ball as hard as we’re used to (19.2% LD for his career). But, despite that, the hits are still falling. This is what has me worried about Cano’s approach. What if the lack of line drives catches up to Robbie and he’s still not taking his walks? That could be troubling. The flip side, though, is that he’s also likely to see his LD% rise. But can that happen when he’s chasing so many bad pitches?
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Much ado about nothing; otherwise, it's curtains for him. It's a good thing Babe Ruth isn't playing now, or you might find some distracting & deprecatory article based on small sample sizes of exotic #s for him.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : Blow it out your @$$ Mikey!  :)  Just kidding...... But, this is why you guys constantly have ALL THOSE empty seats in your stands.  Hey!  We're passionate & most of us grew up saying what we think, without the PC nonsense that is SO prevalent in NY!  Enjoy your Yankees!  We'll be there with you at the end of the season.  :)
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

For the umpteenth time, MikeyinQueens is neither located in Queens nor a Yankee fan but some bitter Sox fan that hates having Yankee fans on this board that.  As soon as the Yanks drop a game he/she/whatever it is has nothing but negative things to say about the Yankees much like the fake Sox screenames on this board.  MikeyinQueens is nothing more than a troll or a reverse-troll however you'ed like to characterize it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmini. Show mrmini's posts

Francona or Giradi

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmini. Show mrmini's posts

FRANCONA, GIRADI, MADDON

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Both Pedroia and Cano are great players. I don't feel compelled to commit myself one way or the other on who is best. Is there a penalty in the event that I am undecided? As a Sox fan I root for my players and I expect Yankee fans to root for their players. As fans or fanatics it is completely normal to be biased and have blind loyalty. Life it too short to be forced to make such comparisons everyday. It is better to just enjoy being a fan and watch the games. I don't lose any sleep at night wondering if Babe Ruth or Ted williams was the better hitter?  How relevant important is the CERA statistic. Why not put all of that mental energy into playing the commodity market like John Henry did?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmini. Show mrmini's posts

FRANCON,GIRADI, MADDON

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Both Pedroia and Cano are great players. I don't feel compelled to commit myself one way or the other on who is best. Is there a penalty in the event that I am undecided? As a Sox fan I root for my players and I expect Yankee fans to root for their players. As fans or fanatics it is completely normal to be biased and have blind loyalty. Life it too short to be forced to make such comparisons everyday. It is better to just enjoy being a fan and watch the games. I don't lose any sleep at night wondering if Babe Ruth or Ted williams was the better hitter?  How relevant important is the CERA statistic. Why not put all of that mental energy into playing the commodity market like John Henry did?
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

Thank you Ned. This is by far the best response on this whole thread.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : Chase Utley is a better hitter than either of them.  And as the post title says "AL/NL" I'm surprised it got to nearly 60 posts with no mention.  I bet if the OP asked for AL only, somehow Utley would have gotten mentioned faster.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    I mentioned Utley just at his age compared to the other three i mentioned i would rather have those three

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JonLestersRightHand. Show JonLestersRightHand's posts

as far as AL goes Pedroia is definitely top 3 at any given point during the season, most of the time he will  be #2 behind Cano and #3 and 4 would go Kinsler and Brian Roberts being so injury prone.  #5 would be a tough call.. John Macdonald seems to get lots of highlights but I can't see anyone else after that.  

NL is Uggla's territory, beyond him it really doesn't matter but Pedey is still top 5 between both leagues.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Well to be honest, Yankee fans have alot to be confident, and optimistic about given the amount of championships.  But that may not have been the case back in the eighties.

Sox fans waited 86 years for another championship, and event those and that are in question.

As a confident, optimistic, and faithful Sox fan, I believe I have earned my misery thank you very much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Sorry Red Sox fan but in 3 or 4 years Pedroia will be a non-factor due to injuries. I like his game now but he just won't last.  You are in denial thats understandable but he is not even in the same league as Utley or Cano and for the clown that said they would not trade Pedroia for "anybody in the league", hey do you actually take your pink hat off when they play Sweet Caroline, like its some kind of anthem.  Oh yeah as far as Cano- 2005-2011 Averages-
    .309 22 HRs, 92 RBIs.... Pedroia .304 16 HRs 73 RBIs.  Phillips .269 20HRs 81 RBIs.  Kinsler .279 24 HRs 84 RBIs, Utley .304 29 HRs 105 RBIs.  Fielding would go Phillips, Cano, Pedroia, Kinsler or Utley- 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : You're nuts. Pedroia is the ultimate sparkplug, a great team player, gung-ho, takes and/or fouls off a ton of pitches, rarely makes a mental mistake in the field, is a great 2B otherwise, steals a ton of bases and rarely gets caught despite his average speed, ditto for his power, and is, at times, impossible to get out, especially in the clutch. Your assessment of him was how he was looked at before he got to the bigs, and completely overlooks the intangibles.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    Nuts? sorry see my last post your citing a bunch of garbage intangibles that homer fans think are important.  Truth be told Pedroia as his early scouting reports said is too small and won't last.  3 or 4 years you won't even mention him. Sorry To burst your bubble but thats baseball.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Massillon8 argueing with NHSteven. Classic. When is the third act of this staged drama?? Talk about phony.
    Posted by Soxchemistry[/QUOTE]

Is this another one of your hit and run comments?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Pedroia the best hitting second baseman in AL/NL? : Nuts? sorry see my last post your citing a bunch of garbage intangibles that homer fans think are important.  Truth be told Pedroia as his early scouting reports said is too small and won't last.  3 or 4 years you won't even mention him. Sorry To burst your bubble but thats baseball.
    Posted by massillon8[/QUOTE]

Using the nuts word was inappropriate, and I apologize. However, I don't agree with your assessment of Pedroia.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

LOL. Priceless. I love this forum. It is better than a three ring circus.

Sections
Shortcuts