Is Peter Abraham being disrespectful to Daisuke Matsuzaka?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Is Peter Abraham being disrespectful to Daisuke Matsuzaka?

Should a Red Sox beat writer make statements like this?:

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff
    May 26, 2011 12:59 PM
    Top of the 2nd: Red Sox 0, Tigers 0

1-2-3 inning on 13 pitches for Aceves. If anybody knows how to say, "Take your time coming back, as long as you want. No rush," in Japanese, please tell Theo Epstein.

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Is Peter Abraham being disrespectful to Daisuke Matsuzaka?

Yes, however to me thats just fustrated fan speak. Although I guess reports are suppose to be above that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Maybe 15 years ago.  In the age of the PTI, Around the Horn, 1 million sports blogs, etc... the standards for journalistic integrity and restraint are far different.  Compared to what the talking heads are saying 24/7, Abraham's words are pretty benign.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Yes. But the beat writers always had a problem with Dice K because he was very guarded with them and gave the media from Japan greater access. Access has a lot to do with how the media will treat you in Boston.

Amalie Benjamin went off on Okajima last year because he had the nerve to not want to talk to the media after a tough loss. Lackey's recent media blackout will  help enlarge the target on his back.

Abraham also clearly writes like a beat writer who longs to do op-ed work and caters to the darker side of the Boston sports market. Many will disagree but it was in poor taste IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Re: Is Peter Abraham being disrespectful to Daisuke Matsuzaka?:
    Many will disagree but it was in poor taste IMO.
    Posted by fivekatz

I agree with you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I like Abraham's humour.  The multi-millionaires should remember it comes with the territory.  I'd let Abraham sit on me with his spacious backside while writing his op-ed dream pieces for DiceK's pay packet.

Carfado's game updates are boring by comparison IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

it's called a joke

loosen up it's about guys playing a game

Definition of JOKE

a: something said or done to provoke laughter; especially: a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1): the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2): an instance of jesting : kidding <can't take a joke> c: practical joke d: laughingstock

:

something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter <consider his skiing a joke

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Did Tom-UK say that the specific comment was a joke or was he summarizing Peter Araham in general?

How does Pinstripe know that the specific comment was meant as a joke?

All we can really comment on is the perception of the reader and everyone will interpret it differently. Writers need to be politically correct and sensitive these days and Peter was not. It matters not whether the comment was about baseball players or coal miners.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

I sure hope DiceK comes back, so they can put Wastefield back in his squat spot for good ole boys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

How does Pinstripe know that the specific comment was meant as a joke?

because he was my favorite writer for years

unlike yours pike

I and many others love his style

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I never approved of a Yankee blog writer becoming a Red Sox beat writer. It's like letting the fox guard the hen house.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

like letting the fox guard the hen house

what ever that means

all I know is he & his family are all sox fans

all from RI I believe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Absolutely

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I didn't think sports reporters were expected to have journalistic integrity.

Dice-K can frustrate even his most ardent supporter.  His numbers make him look average, but he has such great potential.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yes.  Abraham and many in the media and connected with the Red Sox dislike (to put it mildly) Dice K.  Communication problems owing to the language and to the culture differences are responsible, and from both sides.  Dice K got seriouly hurt trying to pitch through an injury, and now the Boston media and many in the organization seem pretty glad about it, sad to say, and are piling on the guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

No pitcher has more potential than Tim Wastefield.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcandrew07. Show mcandrew07's posts

Who cares? I agree with his statement. No hurry Dice-K

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

Im ticked cause I didnt say it first.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Tim Wastefield should be good for another two years, and he's been so much better than DiceK and he speaks better broken English.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Im ticked cause I didnt say it first.
    Posted by bbenton87

I'll bet that you were ticked when so many writers beat you to the punch and called out your boy Manny for being a selfish, self-absorbed, despicable cheater and fraud and giving RSN the finger.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

Yes, he should have said "Sayonara, Daisuke-San".  That would have been more respectful.  At least I think so, I am not fluent in Japanese. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I wonder if the media's treatment of a player reflects how Francona feels about the player.  The media would regularly rip into Manny for things many fans didn't care about.  One reporter said that she didn't like how Manny treated Francona.  Makes me wonder if the media's opinion about Dice-K, and it isn't just Abraham, reflects Francona's wishes.

I think most professional athletes tend to be a little on the narcissitic side and pitchers more than others.  I can see how being a prima dona on top of being narcissitic can get to be old.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

In Response to Re: Is Peter Abraham being disrespectful to Daisuke Matsuzaka? : I'll bet that you were ticked when so many writers beat you to the punch and called out your boy Manny for being a selfish, self-absorbed, despicable cheater and fraud and giving RSN the finger.
    Posted by Your-Echo

I've never said Manny wasnt a Despicable man child but at some point you have to move on and forgive but not forget.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

I

n Response to Re: Is Peter Abraham being disrespectful to Daisuke Matsuzaka?:
    I wonder if the media's treatment of a player reflects how Francona feels about the player.  The media would regularly rip into Manny for things many fans didn't care about.  One reporter said that she didn't like how Manny treated Francona.  Makes me wonder if the media's opinion about Dice-K, and it isn't just Abraham, reflects Francona's wishes. I think most professional athletes tend to be a little on the narcissitic side and pitchers more than others.  I can see how being a prima dona on top of being narcissitic can get to be old.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Wonder away dirtywater.  One of Tito's fortes is that he would NEVER go on record with his feelings toward a player.  He's loyal to his players, and that is a parameter that has yielded him fairly decent success. The 20/20 guys can knock his tactics, but you never hear of him pulling Lou Pinell/Ozzie guillan type junk.  I can't imagine ANYONE putting up with the nonsense Manny put him thru.  He's very special in my book.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arodswallows. Show Arodswallows's posts

I didn't think sports reporters were expected to have journalistic integrity. Dice-K can frustrate even his most ardent supporter.  His numbers make him look average, but he has such great potential.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

you mean he HAD such great potential?

Sections
Shortcuts