IS REGIME CHANGE NEEDED.....WHAT SAY YOU???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: IS REGIME CHANGE NEEDED.....WHAT SAY YOU???

In Response to Re: IS REGIME CHANGE NEEDED.....WHAT SAY YOU???:
    Just saying, the 2009 Yankees were 16-17 in mid-May.  Firing managers in mid-may 4 games out of 1st and hovering around .500 is nothing short of short-sighted lack of nerve.  I am glad that the professionals are handling things.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    Agreed.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

"i'm glad the professionals are handling things."--spaceman

let's see how GLAD you are in august or maybe sooner.
    btw, george w was considered a 'professional.'

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Never ceases to crack me up when fans who wouldn't know the difference between a hit-and-run and a case of the runs critique the job performance of a man who has been around the game his entire adult life and who knows the team's personnel far better than anyone.

So please, continue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

"i'm glad the professionals are handling things."--spaceman let's see how GLAD you are in august or maybe sooner. btw, george w was considered a 'professional.'
    Posted by byebyeepstein

thank you for preaching the line i have held all spring:  let's see how glad/sad we are in August.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

yeah lloyd, please continue apologizing. you're excellent at it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

lloyd, really? managerial change is exactly what is needed because the talent is there...but the desire and intensity isnt, and that falls on the manager
    Posted by georom4

Absolutely georom! If the manager can't get the players to perform to their capability, it's on him.
    It's time for someone else to take the helm. Captain Peachfuzz ain't cuttin' it!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: IS REGIME CHANGE NEEDED.....WHAT SAY YOU??? : Absolutely georom! If the manager can't get the players to perform to their capability, it's on him. It's time for someone else to take the helm. Captain Peachfuzz ain't cuttin' it!
    Posted by Alibiike

If a skipper can't get his players to perform over the course of a season or more, yes, its on him.  But if you think a month of baseball of players underperforming is all on the skippa, I have to question your attention to the course of any given team in any given year.  This is baseball.  The best clubs go through long swoons.  The best players underperform for long stretches.  It is the very frustrating nature of the game.  Talk to me in June or July and I will re-assess.  But, in my experience, I have seen clubs, even good clubs, shoot, world champion clubs, play miserably for a month+.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Red Sox basically followed the Met/Yankee template the past two seasons - signing the best players available though not the best players for the team. Lackey was a no-brainer in the sense he should NEVER have been signed. Crawford will likely produce but still he is more of a handicap than asset because of the contract.  A Gonzales I agreed with - we needed him regardless of cost.

If you want to buy a championship it does not normally work out the way you want. Now the Red Sox will have to keep buying just to fix the problems they created by choosing the wrong players simply because they were tops in the FA market.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

yeah lloyd, please continue apologizing. you're excellent at it.
    Posted by byebyeepstein

Um ... did I use the word "apology" or "sorry?" Or even "lo siento?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Francona takes heat because he is not an aggressive manager in the mold of Mike Scioscia or Joe Maddon. Those two put a particular stamp on their team so you can see they are "managing" in every game. Francona is not that kind of manager because the Sox FO doesn't want that kind of manager. They put a lot of faith in sabermetrics and believe that in the long haul the numbers are the best indicators of success. John Henry made his fortune with his ability to predict markets based on numbers. They knew that Francona would buy into this approach. Many Sox fans don't like it because Francona will never be as an aggressive an in-game manger as Scioscia or Maddon. Unless the FO changes its philosophy, I don't think the Sox will hire a more aggressive manager.

Managers and coaches can have a positive or negative impact on a team, but they can't control the quality of their players performances. A lot a Sox players are struggling right now. If they continue to, Francona will look bad. If they rise to the level they are capable of, Francona will look good.

Is every losing team in MLB today losing because of bad on field management? Is the Minnesota Twins Ron Gardenhire a bad manager? Just some questions to consider.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

you apologists(excuse makers) make it sound like 'CONA just turned into a bad field manager this year. he's been terrible at that job since day one.
    does anybody on this board watch the games?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

hey burrito,

how come the name THEO doesn't come up in your last post? i mean isn't he the main one responsible for choosing the wrong players?
    isn't THEO the one who's been wasting JOHN HENRY'S $ since DREW and LUGO?
    now LACKEY and CRAWFORD.
    BYEBYEEPSTEIN.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

you apologists(excuse makers) make it sound like 'CONA just turned into a bad field manager this year. he's been terrible at that job since day one. does anybody on this board watch the games?
    Posted by byebyeepstein

yep/  pretty much all of them.  and since i've been watching 'Cona and his 'bad field managing' have guided the Sox through season of 95+ wins every year except last year's 89 (which was awesome considering).  I have watched 2 world championships, another team that was within two innings of the world series, and a club in the playoffs 5 of 7 years playing in the very tough AL East.  Sure, I grant you, Francona may have had absolutely nothing to do with that.  Sure, maybe those teams would have won 120-135 games per year if it hadn't been for his total ineptness.  But, dunno, I doubt it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I expected better from you, Bill.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

i think BILL has severed his friendship and trust with TITO and THEO.
    i'm proud of you BILL.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: IS REGIME CHANGE NEEDED.....WHAT SAY YOU??? :    NOT YET  !!!   AND I HAVE NOT JUMPED ON THE THE "BIG O" TRAIN  OF  I I I I I / ME ME ME ME !!! 
    Posted by Bill-806

Thats pretty funny.  All your tea-party Don't Tread On Me and Lower My Taxes buddies looking out for self, and you call Obama III-MEMEME

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Glad to see you agree more people are beginning to see it. I have never liked his style and he has stunk with the pitching staff since early in his career with the sox. The problem is he never learns to do anything differently than 5 years ago. The team is in a funk and until theo gets off his duff and makes a change this team will be dead.

you apologists(excuse makers) make it sound like 'CONA just turned into a bad field manager this year. he's been terrible at that job since day one. does anybody on this board watch the games?
    Posted by byebyeepstein

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

Two peas in a pod or on the same computer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Absolutely not.  This is the best this franchise has been in its 110 year history--selling out games, making tons of money, winning two WS (the only team to win two WS since 2001), getting to the playoffs regularly, etc. 

That said, Francona could be in jeopardy if the Sox still have a losing record at the end of June.  I believe that the players make or break the team, but you can't fire them--or not all of them, anyway. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely not.  This is the best this franchise has been in its 110 year history--selling out games, making tons of money, winning two WS (the only team to win two WS since 2001), getting to the playoffs regularly, etc.  That said, Francona could be in jeopardy if the Sox still have a losing record at the end of June.  I believe that the players make or break the team, but you can't fire them--or not all of them, anyway. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTe

Both points are good.  The Sox are a successful franchise by all the standard measures. The men in charge, including the field manager, have delivered the goods.
    BUT this year they have been punking it up against not unreasonable expectations. ( Except for the 110-win stuff. )  Terry might be made to walk the plank even if the Sox are just over or at .500 and are down seriously in the standings by the end of June, maybe before then.  It would be a terrible way for his career in Boston to end.  But such has been the fate of other successful managers.   

Sections
Shortcuts