Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?

Catcher is the most demanding, always has been. RF is only demanding due to the pounding on the knees from making a series of extended and short sprints to make catches. 1B is not demanding at all, that's why Ortiz should have always played a lot of 1B during the interleague games since he became a Sox.

3B can be very demanding, require probably more dives out of infielders than anywhere else and harder hit balls that can eat up an IF.

I'd say 1. Catcher 2. 3B 3. SS/2B....5. CF....RF or LF to me are not demanding positions for young guys, but can cause issues for older players with leg/knee issues or lack of range.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?

Excellent comment over on Sons of Sam Horn : " Playing Gonzalez in right field at Fenway Park would be like sacrificing 69 virgins to the god of triples for the opposing team ".

LOL !

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": [QUOTE]Catcher is the most demanding, always has been. RF is only demanding due to the pounding on the knees from making a series of extended and short sprints to make catches. 1B is not demanding at all, that's why Ortiz should have always played a lot of 1B during the interleague games since he became a Sox. 3B can be very demanding, require probably more dives out of infielders than anywhere else and harder hit balls that can eat up an IF. I'd say 1. Catcher 2. 3B 3. SS/2B....5. CF....RF or LF to me are not demanding positions for young guys, but can cause issues for older players with leg/knee issues or lack of range. Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE] Completely disagree on your 1st base stance. A great fielding 1st basemen makes the whole infield that much better. It's no coincidence that the Yankees never won a World Series during the Gambi years. Jeter said that Texeira's defense was more important than his offense when they won in '09. It's also one of the reasons Theo traded for Doug M and Dave Stapelton always replaced Buckner in the late innings....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?:
    [QUOTE]Wasn't Yaz a Shortstop at Notre Dame? He was just a good athlete.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Affirmative

And he was drafted as a 2B - I am looking at his Rookie Card now and it says "2nd. B"

He also tried to fill in at 3B (along w/ Fisk) in the early 70's - unsuccessfully

And he was the oldest (@ 43 at least at the time) to play a game in CF

In any all time team, Yaz would have to be selected for a bench role (perhaps along w/ Yount, Molitor, Rose, and J Robinson).....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Catcher

SS

2B

CF

3B

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well, a great Middle Linebacker wouldn't be a great Cornerback.

A good Goalie wouldn't do well as a defenseman.

This is why players have a specific position next to their name when you reference them.

I don't believe Ozzie Smith would have done well as a firstbaseman. Paul Blair may not have been very good at thirdbase.

Players go through the system 'learning' a specific position, some are versatile enough to play at different spots. These guys are usually subs or journeymen players. The great ones usually excel at thier own position and only switch when age dictates that they have "lost a step."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If you look at it from a players perspective the position that is most demanding is the one where you feel least comfortable and have more to learn. So a catcher may say catching is the least demanding because it is what he knows. That same guy may say the OF over the inf is more demanding since he may have an issue tracking flyballs.

Looking at it from a fans view it has to be catching. Every pitch, every inning, in an abnormal position (crouch) with that crp on is the hardest.
    All the others it is just a matter of minor differences. Each may go a whole game with out touching a hit ball.
    I will say SS or 2nd because "usually" one is the guy who makes sure everyone is on the same page.

Trying to take what we believe and saying something like Youk or Agon should play the OF is not right. Since we have no idea as to their abilities for the OF.

I was always a SS/3rd baseman when I was younger then I went to catching at all 3 I felt equally comfortable. I also felt comfortable at first.
    However for some reason I hated second base and the OF and felt so damn out of place when I had to play them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?:
    [QUOTE]If you look at it from a players perspective the position that is most demanding is the one where you feel least comfortable and have more to learn.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]Great point. Joe DiMaggio was considered a great CF but when the time came to play first he was awkward and said he never felt comfortable there. So to him 1B was tougher and more demanding, even though athletically CF is much more demanding.

That and one should never under estimate just what a great defensive 1B can do to make and entire IF look better. (Giambi v. Tex).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": Completely disagree on your 1st base stance. A great fielding 1st basemen makes the whole infield that much better. It's no coincidence that the Yankees never won a World Series during the Gambi years. Jeter said that Texeira's defense was more important than his offense when they won in '09. It's also one of the reasons Theo traded for Doug M and Dave Stapelton always replaced Buckner in the late innings....

Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I recall a fairly important game when Johnny Mac DIDN"T replace Billy Buck with Stapleton, with really tragic results.
    Weird too because Buckner was allowed to hit against lefty Jesse Orosco in previous inning rather than have Baylor pinch hit.Unless my too much LDS back in the 70's-fogged memory is failing me.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": Completely disagree on your 1st base stance. A great fielding 1st basemen makes the whole infield that much better. It's no coincidence that the Yankees never won a World Series during the Gambi years. Jeter said that Texeira's defense was more important than his offense when they won in '09. It's also one of the reasons Theo traded for Doug M and Dave Stapelton always replaced Buckner in the late innings....

The question was how demanding the position was not how important the position was defensively.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint? : Unfortunately I recall a fairly important game when Johnny Mac DIDN"T replace Billy Buck with Stapleton, with really tragic results. Weird too because Buckner was allowed to hit against lefty Jesse Orosco in previous inning rather than have Baylor pinch hit.Unless my too much LDS back in the 70's-fogged memory is failing me..... Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE] Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE] Johnny Mac said later on that he felt "Buckner deserved to be on the field when they won." Oops...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint? : The question was how demanding the position was not how important the position was defensively. Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE] Fair enough...then I'll say catcher and I don't think there's a close second...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE] Johnny Mac said later on that he felt "Buckner deserved to be on the field when they won." Oops...

I don't think 1-5 minded running out from the dugout

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint? : Johnny Mac said later on that he felt "Buckner deserved to be on the field when they won." Oops... Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE] I don't think 1-5 minded running out from the dugout Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] 1-5?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The outfield has special challenges, chief of which is judging fly balls and line drives.  Also fielding "grounders" smoothly and going into the corners, etc. 

The great advantage for a right fielder is that it's not unheard of for him to go an entire game with either no plays or just one or two easy plays.  Yes, he needs to able to throw the ball into the infield, but usually it's an easy throw with two guys able to catch the throw. 

Occasionally, the rightfielder needs to make the very tough play of a throw to third or home to nail a runner, but those plays are rare. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": I don't think 1-5 minded running out from the dugout Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] 1-5?

Kevin Millar

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Right Field More Demanding Defensively Than First Base? Which position is most demanding from a defensive standpoint? : 1-5? Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE] Kevin Millar Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] Got it...I'm sure Buckner wouldn't have minded either, which is probably another reason why Johnny Mac felt he should have been out there...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Either way, Stanley and Gedman still get crossed-up.........