Is Roy Halladay going to the HOF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Is Roy Halladay going to the HOF?

i think the rules say that he must be out for 5 years......  That being said,  he will need a BIRTH CERTIFICATE and he should have experience of running marathons !!!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

If you check out his stats as I just did over a ten year period with three twenty win seasons he should deserve a shot at the HOF. As you say, playing all of those year in Toronto had him well under the radar. With the stats as a Red Sox. Yankees, etc he'd probably be of more serious consideration. If he can get healthy and finish with close to 250 wins I don't see how he could be denied. The days of the 300 game winner are probably over and done for many reasons. Voters in coming year will be giving more serious consideration to candidates like Halladay who finish long fruitful careers with 200-250 wins. With the four a maybe five man rotation starters were given many more chances to win games but now with clubs looking at 5-6 man rotations, loaded bullpens, starts are about 30 per year. A 15 game winning season almost equels the old 20 win season. 

Hetch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Bill, 

Would you engage in serious conversation for once instead of injecting your usual nonsensical point of view. Your humor is appreciated, but I'd like to hear a serious point of view.

Hetch

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Roy Halladay is not a first time ballot HOF.  But he will get in.  

As a Red Sox fan, I was happy to see him leave the AL East for the NL East.   Have the Mets, Braves and Nationals deal with him instead.   LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If he continues to pitch, I'd say no, because I believe his best years are behind him and it would only blemish his numbers.

He only has 199 wins, but only 100 losses which is a decent winning %. Two CYA's is a big plus.

He's borderline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I'm shocked by the response here.  He was the best in the game for many years.  With a few more years of decent stats I say he's a first ballot hof. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

A very similar case to that for John Smoltz, who I believe will get in, and a much better case than Schilling, who is on the fence.  Yes, Doc should be elected but may have to wait until his second year of eligibility at worst.  He was a consistent, effective workhorse and definitely among the best of his era.  Still is a solid pitcher when healthy; just goes out and battles every hitter.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The Doc will eventually get in. especially if he puts up 3-4 more decent seasons. I hope the sox rign him after this season when he hits FA... the Doc is one of my favorite non-sox pitchers. i've always admired him and wanted him on my team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I think if he can get to about 240 wins then he has a chance.  The guy has been one of the best pitchers in the game.  What sometimes gets overlooked and should be TAUGHT to EVERY young pitcher is his amazing work ethic.  The guy eats, sleeps and breathes baseball and the art of pitching.  He has always been a joy to watch.  Always reminded me of a throwback from pitchers 20-30 years ago when they wanted to go all nine and got mad at themselves if they didn't last the whole game.  He also did this at the tail end of the Steroid era and still kicked @$$!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Bill, 

Would you engage in serious conversation for once instead of injecting your usual nonsensical point of view. Your humor is appreciated, but I'd like to hear a serious point of view.

Hetch

Bill and serious discussion in the same sentence?

You crack me up.

As to the thread -- possibly. Right now, he seems to be a Schilling-type borderline player when you look at the number of good seasons and other career stats. This will be especially true if he hangs around for say three more years w/o doing much -- maybe 15 to 20 more career wins and poor ERAs that pushes up his 3.31 ERA a bit. Then he'd really be comparable to Schilling.

He very well might have some good season left, so for now, it's hard to say. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He wouldn't make it on the 1st ballot. He has won a CY in both leagues but I think he needs to get to 250 wins which he can do but he'll be 36 this season so it'll be a tough getting those 51 wins to get to 250. But you got to like that lifetime whip of 1.1.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

He wouldn't make it on the 1st ballot. He has won a CY in both leagues but I think he needs to get to 250 wins which he can do but he'll be 36 this season so it'll be a tough getting those 51 wins to get to 250. But you got to like that lifetime whip of 1.1.

In this day, he doesn't need 250 wins. One more good season of 17 wins plus three more medicore/poor that adds another 15 to 20 would put  him in the 231 to 236 range, which would be enough for this era. Anything under 220 wins makes it harder, though not impossible. The 220-230 range could be enough when everything else is factored in.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts