Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe-. Show The--Babe-'s posts

Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine?

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine?:
    In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : Overall though you have to admit, Cashman has done a rather poor job in his tenure.  Gene Michael built those championship teams of the late 90's, not Cashman.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

True, but hard to judge him when he didn't have complete control as he does now. The farm has made leaps and bounds over the last few years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine?

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine?:
    In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : True, but hard to judge him when he didn't have complete control as he does now. The farm has made leaps and bounds over the last few years.
    Posted by The--Babe-

I guess time will tell.  The rumors seem to point to Cashman being out at years end.  Even if it's his choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe-. Show The--Babe-'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : I guess time will tell.  The rumors seem to point to Cashman being out at years end.  Even if it's his choice.

I don't put much stock in rumors. It usually some bored writers trying to get some interest in what they write.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : Could you please point out where I called Shea Hillenbrand a "stud"?

You were talking about the studs that the RS vs the Yankees have produced, and you listed him. Perhaps I misunderstood, 'cause alot gets lost in the mix with the post sequences here via all the posturing, twisting, flip-flopping and dbl talking; not necessarily you, but everybody.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Lavarnway has put up comparable numbers to Montero at every level, but he has been several years older, giving the edge to Montero. Now, at the AAA level Lavarnway is still doing it and if anything has improved, while Montero has declined. The trend lines have intersected. It's absolutely possible that Lavarnway has passed Montero, and the scouts just haven't caught up with that development yet.

Lavarnway has shown an ability to swing at strikes, with an excellent plate approach, very high OBP and even the ability to stroke the ball to RF with pop. His numbers have been extremely consistent. He just might be the best hitter we have produced in years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : You were talking about the studs that the RS vs the Yankees have produced, and you listed him. Perhaps I misunderstood, 'cause alot gets lost in the mix with the post sequences here via all the posturing, twisting, flip-flopping and dbl talking; not necessarily you, but everybody.
    Posted by nhsteven

Please re-read the posts.  Babe listed guys like Melky Cabrera, Marcus Thames, Ian Kennedy, Juan Rivera as home grown players that the Yankees have developed.  Based on his criteria, I named guys of similar career paths that the Red Sox have developed, Shea Hillenbrand being one of them.  During no part of that did I refer to him as a stud.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe--. Show -TheBabe--'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : Please re-read the posts.  Babe listed guys like Melky Cabrera, Marcus Thames, Ian Kennedy, Juan Rivera as home grown players that the Yankees have developed.  Based on his criteria, I named guys of similar career paths that the Red Sox have developed, Shea Hillenbrand being one of them.  During no part of that did I refer to him as a stud.

spc, please forgive nhstephanie. She confuses easily and has trouble following along.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : Please re-read the posts.  Babe listed guys like Melky Cabrera, Marcus Thames, Ian Kennedy, Juan Rivera as home grown players that the Yankees have developed.  Based on his criteria, I named guys of similar career paths that the Red Sox have developed, Shea Hillenbrand being one of them.  During no part of that did I refer to him as a stud.

OK, however I believe Ian Kennedy is in a little better category.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It's an interesting question. I say Lavarnway is definitely a better prospect than Romine.  He is only a year older, has a much bigger bat, and a better CS%.  Plus, he's doing it at the doorstep of the majors.  He's making AAA pitching look silly.  

I'll reserve judgement on Montero, but for a guy the Yankees thought might win a roster sport in ST, he's hardly knocking down the door to the majors.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : OK, however I believe Ian Kennedy is in a little better category.
    Posted by nhsteven

That's fair but I would lump Hillenbrand in with guys like Melky Cabrera, Marcus Thames, Dioner Navarro.  Other players that Babe had on his list.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

It's an interesting question. I say Lavarnway is definitely a better prospect than Romine.  He is only a year older, has a much bigger bat, and a better CS%.  Plus, he's doing it at the doorstep of the majors.  He's making AAA pitching look silly.   I'll reserve judgement on Montero, but for a guy the Yankees thought might win a roster sport in ST, he's hardly knocking down the door to the majors.
    Posted by slomag

There have just been too many false alarms with Yankee prospects over the past several seasons.  I wouldn't be shocked if Montero ends up being another.  Hughes was overhyped.  Chamberlain was overhyped.  Melky Cabrera was overhyped.  Brett Gardner is currently being overhyped.  I'm not saying that Montero won't turn out to be the real deal but with the Yanks' recent prospect history coupled with Montero's less than impressive stat line, I'm not sold.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Montero is having a down year with some injury issues..hes never been accused of being a great defensive catcher or game-caller though..But the kid has on helluva bat, and I believe he will end up as a DH/1b..Romine is the better projected all-around catcher. I think Lavarnway is def making a case for himself though..After starting his catching career late (sophmore year at Yale, I believe), he has taken to the position and impressed. Hes patient at the plate with solid numbers. His defense has improved the last year greatly..with a 30%+ CS and an improved game-caller, Lavarnway, I believe, will be the better catcher when all is said and done..Homerism? maybe a little.. But If i were looking for a catcher, I would look at romine and lavarnway..if i need a future DH/1b with a power bat, Montero is it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : There have just been too many false alarms with Yankee prospects over the past several seasons.  I wouldn't be shocked if Montero ends up being another.  Hughes was overhyped.  Chamberlain was overhyped.  Melky Cabrera was overhyped.  Brett Gardner is currently being overhyped.  I'm not saying that Montero won't turn out to be the real deal but with the Yanks' recent prospect history coupled with Montero's less than impressive stat line, I'm not sold.

MDC was supposed to be a stud pitcher too.  It happens with every team.  Bucholz was overhyped.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearzacup. Show hortonhearzacup's posts

Lavernway,middlebrooks and Iglesias are the future at three very important and difficult positions to find so if you can get good cheap solutions at 3b,c and ss the baseball world is yoyrs you can spend your money on pitching and the power positions which should lead to more championships in the future

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Montero is having a down year with some injury issues..hes never been accused of being a great defensive catcher or game-caller though..But the kid has on helluva bat, and I believe he will end up as a DH/1b..Romine is the better projected all-around catcher. I think Lavarnway is def making a case for himself though..After starting his catching career late (sophmore year at Yale, I believe), he has taken to the position and impressed. Hes patient at the plate with solid numbers. His defense has improved the last year greatly..with a 30%+ CS and an improved game-caller, Lavarnway, I believe, will be the better catcher when all is said and done..Homerism? maybe a little.. But If i were looking for a catcher, I would look at romine and lavarnway..if i need a future DH/1b with a power bat, Montero is it.
    Posted by southpaw777

Southpaw,
    Montero's real value, both as a trade chip and as a future Yankee is behind the plate. Having a catcher that can hit .280 with 25 homers, apose to the average offensive production in the big leagues for catchers (.250-15) is one of the reasons he's still being groomed to catch. Every team is looking to develop catchers with a "middle of the order bat" (see Posada) one that can handle the job wearing the tools of ignorance. Which is why they haven't already moved him to first. If Montero can develop into an average defensive catcher or at least show scouts that he has the potential to one day be an everyday big league catcher and produce similar numbers to Posada at the ML level. His value will be very high. Frankly if he is or does have the ability to get to that level with the glove, the Yanks would be crazy to trade him.

As for the oft cited position switch to 1B, I don't see them moving him to 1st not until it's clear that he's not an everyday big league catcher, they'd pretty much diminish his top end percieved value both to them and to a potentail suitor. Let's remember they already have Texiera inked to a long term deal and there's no reason given thier resources to promote a 21 year old and have him DH. While his bat is projectable, moving him to 1B will lesson his impact, becasue he'd then be in the company of Puljos, Cabrera, Votto, Gonzalez and he'd be blocked by Texiera who also in the same company as the afore mentioned best in the game. The best example of how a position switch affects a players value is VMart who's bat played as a top three at the catchers position, but would/nt even be a top 15 as firstbaseman, and as we all saw his "skills" behind the plate we're begining to diminish and the wear and tear effected his stick too. Which is why he didn't garner more lucrative offers as a free agent and settled for the deal he got from the Tigers, knowing full well he'd be thier DH but he's 32 not 21 and part time 1B "emergency catcher"... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Montero looks so clumsy I'm not sure he would be much of a first baseman either. He may end up in RF for the Yanks, or DH but they are smart to keep him tasked at catcher because he would be worth so much more as a catcher if he can become acceptable there.

It isn't like some other catching prospects who can play other positions and their bat is so good they want to move him to other slots like Harper. Montero probably would be sub par at other positions defensively. They really need for him to make it at catcher.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Montero looks so clumsy I'm not sure he would be much of a first baseman either. He may end up in RF for the Yanks, or DH but they are smart to keep him tasked at catcher because he would be worth so much more as a catcher if he can become acceptable there. It isn't like some other catching prospects who can play other positions and their bat is so good they want to move him to other slots like Harper. Montero probably would be sub par at other positions defensively. They really need for him to make it at catcher.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

I think Lavarnway is in the same boat.  The thing I don't understand about Lavarnway is he's throwing runners out, he's not letting balls by him, he's not committing errors.  He's a Yale grad, so I assume he's smart, which probably helps in calling a game.  What is it that he is not doing that makes him a defensive liability?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : I think Lavarnway is in the same boat.  The thing I don't understand about Lavarnway is he's throwing runners out, he's not letting balls by him, he's not committing errors.  He's a Yale grad, so I assume he's smart, which probably helps in calling a game.  What is it that he is not doing that makes him a defensive liability?
    Posted by slomag

Prospect of the Day: www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/107674/ryan-lavarnway" class="sbn-auto-link">Ryan Lavarnway

www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/961/jarrod-saltalamacchia" class="sbn-auto-link">Jarrod Saltalamacchia currently holds down the catching job with the www.sbnation.com/mlb/teams/boston-red-sox" class="sbn-auto-link">Boston Red Sox, with the aging www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/178/jason-varitek" class="sbn-auto-link">Jason Varitek as the primary backup. Knocking on the door is prospect Ryan Lavarnway, currently on a tear with Triple-A Pawtucket.

Star-divide

Lavarnway was drafted by the Red Sox in the sixth round in 2008, out of Yale, where he holds the Ivy League record for career home runs. Scouts respected his power, but weren't sure if he would hit for much of an average in pro ball, and had serious doubts about his ability to remain behind the plate. He answered the doubts about his bat by hitting .285/.367/.540 with 21 homers for Low-A Greenville in 2009, then a combined .288/.393/.489 with 22 homers and 102 RBI between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland in 2010. He returned to Portland to begin '11 and hit a very similar .284/.360/.510 in 55 games, which earned him a promotion to Pawtucket. In 11 games since moving up, he's hit .356/.420/.667 with another three homers.

All told, Lavarnway is a career .284/.375/.509 hitter in 320 minor league games, with no deterioration in his performance as he's moved up the ladder. Indeed, if anything he's improved, easing scout concerns about a long swing by showing power to all fields. He has decent plate discipline and his strikeout rate has actually declined as he's moved up. Although he won't win batting titles in the majors, I expect that he'll carry the power forward.

The serious question has always been defense, and while Lavarnway has spent much of his career as a DH, his glove has improved. His arm is average, but a slow release inhibited his throwing early in his career, while poor footwork and lack of mobility rendered him less than reliable as a defender: he coughed up 26 passed balls in just 66 games behind the plate in 2009. However, he cut that down to 11 in 53 defensive games last year, and this year he's reduced the rate even further to four passed balls and just one error in 32 games behind the plate.

He's caught a respectable 36% of runners trying to steal on him this year. Red Sox farm director Mike Hazen tells me that Lavarnway has made "very good strides behind the plate with a continuously improving feel working with pitchers and calling games." Hazen also praises Lavarnway's continued improvement with receiving and blocking, which clearly shows up in the statistics.

Although Lavarnway will never win gold gloves, if he maintains his current progress he can be at least adequate defensively, while providing considerable power on the offensive side. We should see him in Fenway later this year, and he could take a larger role on the major league roster in 2012.

Here's the link...

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/6/27/2246295/prospect-of-the-day-ryan-lavarnway-c-boston-red-sox

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Is Ryan Lavarnway a better prospect than both Jesus Montero and Austin Romine? : Southpaw, Montero's real value, both as a trade chip and as a future Yankee is behind the plate. Having a catcher that can hit .280 with 25 homers, apose to the average offensive production in the big leagues for catchers (.250-15) is one of the reasons he's still being groomed to catch. Every team is looking to develop catchers with a "middle of the order bat" (see Posada) one that can handle the job wearing the tools of ignorance. Which is why they haven't already moved him to first. If Montero can develop into an average defensive catcher or at least show scouts that he has the potential to one day be an everyday big league catcher and produce similar numbers to Posada at the ML level. His value will be very high. Frankly if he is or does have the ability to get to that level with the glove, the Yanks would be crazy to trade him. As for the oft cited position switch to 1B, I don't see them moving him to 1st not until it's clear that he's not an everyday big league catcher, they'd pretty much diminish his top end percieved value both to them and to a potentail suitor. Let's remember they already have Texiera inked to a long term deal and there's no reason given thier resources to promote a 21 year old and have him DH. While his bat is projectable, moving him to 1B will lesson his impact, becasue he'd then be in the company of Puljos, Cabrera, Votto, Gonzalez and he'd be blocked by Texiera who also in the same company as the afore mentioned best in the game. The best example of how a position switch affects a players value is VMart who's bat played as a top three at the catchers position, but would/nt even be a top 15 as firstbaseman, and as we all saw his "skills" behind the plate we're begining to diminish and the wear and tear effected his stick too. Which is why he didn't garner more lucrative offers as a free agent and settled for the deal he got from the Tigers, knowing full well he'd be thier DH but he's 32 not 21 and part time 1B "emergency catcher"... 
    Posted by Beantowne

Very true.  His value is immensely higher as a catcher but right now his bat has been very unimpressive so catcher or no catcher, he has ALOT left to prove.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lavarnway is 3 for 3 tonight with a HR and 3 RBI's, and a walk. 

This kid just continues to hit, can't wait to see how his bat holds against MLB pitching.  If his catching improves...even better. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Jesus Montero is losing value day by day. He will not stick behind the plate and is a future DH. He has very poor defensive skills. He is good offensively but when you translate his number to 1B or DH, they are not overly impressive and that is where he will likely end up. Yankees prospects are always overhyped. Look at joba chamberlain, phil hughes, etc. Now montero is having a down year and andrew brackman who is another one of the yanks top prospect has an era over 8. And lets not forget ivan nova who cashman refuses to trade with his 4.12, 98 hits and 37 walks in 91.2 innings this year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Who are these Yankee fakes on this board? Romine and Montero have aweful numbers. Lavaraway is the  next Je Mauer, mark my words

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Who are these Yankee fakes on this board? Romine and Montero have aweful numbers. Lavaraway is the  next Je Mauer, mark my words
    Posted by jader

As overrated as Mauer is, lets take it easy on those kind of comparisons.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Over a 600 AB season, Lavarnway's current season HR numbers would total over 40, and he is hitting .381 in 120 AB so far in AAA ball. The numbers are clearly indicating something special here, especially given how consistent his numbers have been before this. There isn't a GM in the country who wouldn't want this guy. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hercamer. Show Hercamer's posts

Anyone still wanna talk about who is the better prospect right now? 

Sections
Shortcuts