Is Snyder/Holt platoon that good?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Is Snyder/Holt platoon that good?

I rather give Middy back his fulltime job.  And anyone see Naps coming back for next season?  I clearly not see it happening.  Is Carp our next 1B?  Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Is Snyder/Holt platoon that good?

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I rather give Middy back his fulltime job.  And anyone see Naps coming back for next season?  I clearly not see it happening.  Is Carp our next 1B?  Any thoughts?

Snyder/Holt should not even be on team.....They both would be average players in minors.Naps is toast !! I feel bad for Ortiz... Teams will walk him and pitch to the elephant. next year will be tough... Needs..... Ist base, Third base, SS, left fielder, Center fielder....Some of those will be filled from minors... Hope we can pick up a 3rd baseman real soon. OFFENSE really struggles aginst lefties.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

WMB should be brought back for tonights game. He is more of a threat than both Holt and Snyder.

I would Designate Snyder and keep Holt as the Super Sub. I think Snyder could slip through waivers and it would take him off the 40 whether claimed or not. The Prodigal Son needs to return home and we need to know what he can do after being away for a while.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I would love to see Sox going after Choo this offseason to fill in corner position.  High OBP guys with 20-20 potential yr in and out,  premium defense with one of the strongest arm in the league.  JBJ in center, Shane in right, and Choo in left.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, know what, I first thought Napoli is a good protection hitter behind Papi, but he is really a better hitter when he is a DH hitter.  Look at the month of April while he was DH for Papi due Papi was on DL, and Napoli was one of the better DH in the league for the month of April.  Now putting him back at 1b at the same time his hip bother him alot over at 1b where it effect him alot with his hitting lately.

But Boston do not have much choice on how to find a guy to protect Papi.  It is too late now to find a guy to replace Napoli as a #4 hitter.  If Middlebrook get call up, and  start to tear up by hitting alot of extra base hits, then he could slide to #4 while Napoli move down in the line up. Still I do not see it is happening.  I guess Farrell do not have much choice to fix the line up now.

If Drew start to heat up, I could see him moving to the #4 spot.   Or hopefully Gomes get hot again like he did it in july.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

They are just keeping the seat warm for Xander Bogarts anyways,  so why not just call the kid up?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

They are just keeping the seat warm for Xander Bogarts anyways,  so why not just call the kid up?  

This kid havent done much in AAA right now at the same time he just tried playing 3B down there, and now in the last many games, he have been playing at SS while Middlebrook is back at 3b

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

One amazing thread.  Really.  Good lefties who are pitching well have been a Sox problem all season long, and last night was no exception. 

But the Sox offense overall is the second best in MLB in terms of runs scored and team OPS.  Despite that fact, here is a thread basically saying the Sox can't score runs and need to make dramatic changes in the lineup ASAP. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

One amazing thread.  Really.  Good lefties who are pitching well have been a Sox problem all season long, and last night was no exception. 

But the Sox offense overall is the second best in MLB in terms of runs scored and team OPS.  Despite that fact, here is a thread basically saying the Sox can't score runs and need to make dramatic changes in the lineup ASAP. 

One amazing response.  Really.  How much do you think Holt/Snyder platoon have contributed offensively?  Was I questioning this team's offense?  Good analysis of the thread.  Really.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Holt has played great D and he has a good bat. he can bunt, work a count and has some speed on the base paths. Snyder is more of a power bat. Hes got good wood  most of the time, but hes had some bad luck with those hard hit balls going right at someone. His defense at 3rd has been decent, but remember, hes played 1b more than 3b. I think they have done a good job in the 3b platoon so far.

With Middy falling short of expectations this year, the Sox were forced to make this move. Obviously they could do better, but the question is do you bring Bogey up now and play him out of position or Middy who hasnet earned a promotion?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Belinsky1962's comment:

All of the NESN staff and the radio announcers think that Holt and Snyder are filling in admirably at third base as do many fans. We are fortunate that they are doing so well. Middlebrooks needs more work and does not deserve the callup. Boggy needs more time. I trust the scouts at Pawtucket since I have only seen one Pawsox game this year. 

For the past 28 days, Holt has .604 OPS and Snyder has .556 OPS.  Good luck with that.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

I get nervous whenever a routine pop up is hit in the 3rd base direction.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Holt has played great D and he has a good bat. he can bunt, work a count and has some speed on the base paths. Snyder is more of a power bat. Hes got good wood  most of the time, but hes had some bad luck with those hard hit balls going right at someone. His defense at 3rd has been decent, but remember, hes played 1b more than 3b. I think they have done a good job in the 3b platoon so far.

With Middy falling short of expectations this year, the Sox were forced to make this move. Obviously they could do better, but the question is do you bring Bogey up now and play him out of position or Middy who hasnet earned a promotion?

The time is now to bring up boggy.. Middy hasnt shown much improvement in AAA and while the sox are sitting here dickin around with tryin to find out if these two(Snyder and Holt) AAAA players can hack it in the majors, we continue to struggle mightly against left handers. Boggy has hit .318 against left handers in pawtucket, as a team the sox have hit .249 against lefties. Snyder shoulda be DFA'd, holt made the UIF and Boggy inserted into the starting luneup at third next to drew. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Middlebrooks is still stuggling, and Bogaerts is awfully young, 20.  Iglesias was the price to get Peavy, and so far that almost makes sense.  Meanwhile, Holt/Snyder have been OK.  I like the platoon at 3B and in LF and even occasionally at 1B.  Bradley, FWIW, has an OPS over .860 at Pawtucket, and I wouldn't mind seeing him brought up as an option, but Carp and  Nava both have the advantage of also being able to play 1B.

The fix, obviously, is for Bogaerts to be ready for the Big and Middlebrooks to get his swing back to where it was in early 2012.  Two good righty bats.   But not yet--except Chad Finn wrote today it's time to bring Bogaerts up. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

3rd base will soooon work itself out ......  Yes, soooooner, rather than later !!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

They chose to make a move to get rid of the best fielding shortstop in the league. They were already  weak at the plate given Iglesias' complete lack of power and Drew's hitting issues this year. Now, they are left with a guy in Snyder, who should be in triple A, and a player like Holt, who at best is a utility back-up at the major league level. Of course it's not ideal. While statistically the team might be performing well, things obvioiusly get a lot tougher in the post season. True, Peavy is a legit arm you can use in the playoffs, but there is a little doubt they could use some pop at third base. Middlebrooks was simply awful when he was up here and doesn't appear to have figued things out at Pawtucket. While you hate to see Boagaerts rushed, it might be about that time. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to bt33's comment:

They chose to make a move to get rid of the best fielding shortstop in the league. They were already  weak at the plate given Iglesias' complete lack of power and Drew's hitting issues this year. Now, they are left with a guy in Snyder, who should be in triple A, and a player like Holt, who at best is a utility back-up at the major league level. Of course it's not ideal. While statistically the team might be performing well, things obvioiusly get a lot tougher in the post season. True, Peavy is a legit arm you can use in the playoffs, but there is a little doubt they could use some pop at third base. Middlebrooks was simply awful when he was up here and doesn't appear to have figued things out at Pawtucket. While you hate to see Boagaerts rushed, it might be about that time. 

I dont think it's rushing boggy at all, He's a special talent and players with special talents usually adapt well to the ML game. Boggy has played well at every level he has been at and i dont see why he wouldnt do the same at the ML level.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Who cares if Bogg's 20?  Profar, Harper, and Machado all played in the major when they were 19.  Bogaerts is considered by many as that elite group.  Boggy might struggle in first few games or weeks.  I don't give a damn.  It will be fun watching him playing for the Sox late in the season with playoff berth on the line.  You guys seriously want to watch Holt and Snyder take turns in respect to the pitcher in the mound?  They did OK? give me a break.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Holt and Snyder have been adequate as stopgap fill ins.  It is apparent that we could use some righthanded power in the lineup. Middlebrooks has 10 homers in just 42 games at Pawtucket. Bogaerts has 8 in 48 games. Both have decent batting averages and OPS. They can provide the pop that is needed. I would not wait too long to bring one or both them up. They certainly have more to offer than Snyder or Holt. We should put our best team on the field.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Holt and Snyder have been adequate as stopgap fill ins.  It is apparent that we could use some righthanded power in the lineup. Middlebrooks has 10 homers in just 42 games at Pawtucket. Bogaerts has 8 in 48 games. Both have decent batting averages and OPS. They can provide the pop that is needed. I would not wait too long to bring one or both them up. They certainly have more to offer than Snyder or Holt. We should put our best team on the field.

[/QUOTE]

I see no way that this team goes too much longer with Snyder and Holt. As you said both WMB and Bogaerts are better options. by far.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

[QUOTE]

This kid havent done much in AAA right now at the same time he just tried playing 3B down there, and now in the last many games, he have been playing at SS while Middlebrook is back at 3b

[/QUOTE]

The kid hasn't done anything? He reached base EVERY day in the month of July.  After a slow start his Avg is near .300 and his BB/K is at 25/30 which is his best in the minors so far.  He's the youngest player in the international league.  When he was promoted to Pawtucket he still would have been the youngest player two levels below him in high A.  He is playing 3B every 2-3 days down there.  They are likely trying to decide between him and Middlebrooks, with Bogaerts likely surpassing WMB.  He's a phenom, one of the best young players in all the game with an MVP ceiling.....

But I guess he hasn't done anything right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I won't be surprised to see Middlebrooks joining and starting at 3B against the Royals game tomorrow.  If Boggy gets called up before he does, I think Middy will explode.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Snyder and Holt have done a decent job, but going forward they both need to find roles in which they can make better contributions.   Not sure what that will be for Snyder, but Holt can serve as the infield utility player and pinch runner.

Either Bogaerts or Middlebrooks need to be at third base.  Maybe the each get a turn in August and then run with the best of the two for September.   Middlebrooks is on the 40 man roster and Bogaerts will take Snyder's spot at some time in the near future.

Both guys are going to bring more to the offense than either Holt or Snyder.  Not sure that a team should have their third baseman hitting eigth or ninth in it batting order.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Wait for call-ups at this point. Let Bogaerts get some time at 3rd in the Minors.

Sections
Shortcuts