Is Sox Management Even Competent?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Is Sox Management Even Competent?

They throw millions away on Gonzales and Crawford. They bring in Bobby Valentine against everyone's (except LL's) better judgement. Now they're looking to let Lester walk.

Tell me again. How did these guys make so much money?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Re: Is Sox Management Even Competent?

Problem is, the fans who are buying seats are getting shafted, pink hats or not.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

maybe incontinent .

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Incompetent fans."

and   the  FO  takes advantage  of  the  fans  sentimentality.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They throw millions away on Gonzales and Crawford. They bring in Bobby Valentine against everyone's (except LL's) better judgement. Now they're looking to let Lester walk.

[/QUOTE]

Aside from Valentine, none of these are strong examples of incompetence.  Crawford turned out to be a colossal bust, yes, but he was a very good player in Tampa.  And Lester hasn't walked yet. 

As for your question, they bought the right sports team at the right time, they spent money, they won championships.

And even in the bad seasons, the Red Sox are still a show, because their fans are obsessed.  Just look at this place.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Obsessed Fans but cheap management. When people are willing to pay and fill the ball park they do not have to spend top dollar on the product. The way they are low balling Lester is a good example of how they think. They only had the contracts of Gonzalez and Crawford for two years and dumped them off on the Dodgers afterwards in 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Boston fans aren't the smartest in the league. ( IF WE FAKE THEM THEY WILL COME )......Simple !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

They've done pretty well by the Boston Fans---3 World Series in 14 years---thanks management.

I'm not happy thinking we have a fine LH pitcher that may walk however this management team is smart and wealthy and they like winning. If Lester walks it may be BenC who is saying we have a replacement(s) who can make up the wins. Who knows-none of us know what goes on behind locked doors at Fenway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Obsessed Fans but cheap management. When people are willing to pay and fill the ball park they do not have to spend top dollar on the product. The way they are low balling Lester is a good example of how they think. They only had the contracts of Gonzalez and Crawford for two years and dumped them off on the Dodgers afterwards in 2012.

[/QUOTE]

Is consistently having one of the top payrolls in the game not "spending top dollar on your product"?

Sox management is competent...fans like you, who think they're not trying to win unless they're overpaying the biggest free agents every year and ending up with a $200++ million payroll like the Yankees and Dodgers, are not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

oh look...its a thread for all the whiners who are never happy...Im out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    Sorry this doesn't fly. They weren't performing so they were moved. How can you call them cheap when the payroll as about the same in 2013 as 2012?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the good news is after this season, if Lester walks, we will sign maxS to hide some of that incompetence/incontinence...lol 4Bs

As always - 100% correct!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Or just Conternt    to rest on their laurels

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Seriously. I could see Ellsbury -- he clearly didn't care about staying with the Red Sox.

But Lester is a different story. They've played with his head all season by trying to lowball him, and he hasn't been out there yelling about being disrespected the way Ortiz does. He's been classy about it. And the only thing the Sox have had going for themselves this year has been the pitching, more or less. So they're going to let the ace walk because of...why again?

I think maybe they did try to rest on their laurels. Maybe they thought they had some bargaining power because it was early in the season and they'd won the Series. So they could try to get Lester on the cheap.

Yes, I know it was only a first offer, and teams typically come in low. But it also appeared -- I don't know; just assuming -- that the Sox didn't work really hard to get it done early in the season.

So I'm saying that if Lester ends up walking, all the blame goes on upper management, not Lester.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Timing is EVERYTHING !!!!    It's their $$$$$, they can make the decisions......  They probably will get Lester signed, however, I am AGAINST signing pitchers on the BACK 9 to another 5 years @ big  $$$$$$  Lets see how this plays out !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Yes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

There was a recent thread musing upon why people post less when the club is struggling ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gotta go with the thought that management is a whole lot more competent than the fans, especially our OP author.

So a few facts:

1.  Lester ain't worth top dollar.  Thru 2010, he was among the ten best starters in MLB, but, according to his WAR rating, since then he has been ranked 13th, 72d, 38th, and, this year, 23d. 

2.  The Sox do in fact spend a lot on their players.  2002-2014, Sox salaries were ranked 2d most, 6th, 2d, 2d, 2d, 2d, 4th, 4th, 2d, 3d, 3d, 4th, and 4th.  Meanwhile Sox attendance in the same years, 2002-2014, was ranked 11th, 9th, 11th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 10th, 8th,8th, 8th, 8th, 9th, and, this year, 6th.  So, if anything, the Sox have been overspending on players relative to the number of fans going thru turnstiles.

3.  During those same years, which we can call the John Henry era, the Yankees have outdrawn and vastly outspent the Sox on players.  These are the same Yankees who have won more WS or world championships than any other MLB team or major American sports franchise in history.  Those Yankees, the ones who are in our division, the AL East.  But during the John Henry era, the Sox have won 3 WS to the Yankees 1. 

Whether or not Lester is a no-baloney keeper (I hope we do keep him because he at least stays healthy even though he hates to throw breaking balls), I think we have to give management the benefit of the doubt. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Fenway gets filled every night, I'd say far from incompetent. Maybe the fans are incompetent. In fact, the younger the poster here, the more chance someone is accusing Management of high treason. You want to be the Cubs?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Because the RS FO has fooled the ticker buyers into thinking that being the best team in BB over 12 years, with 3 WSC, and being one game away from 2 more WS appearances, is a good thing.

It is only the knowledgeable fans such as yourself that understand that the true measure of competency were the previous 86 years, prior to becoming the Leviathon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haven't they won 3 Championships in the last 10 years?