Is Stephen Drew really going to help this team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Is Stephen Drew really going to help this team?

$10 million for Drew or $10 million for a middle of the order outfield bat is an inaccurate choice. It's $10 million for Drew or $10 million AND PROSPECTS for a middle of the order outfield bat. Would you rather mortgage the future for a stopgap solution, or just pay $10 million alone? I say pay the $10 million alone. If the Red Sox find themselves in contention come the deadline, it's also not an either/or proposition. Henry has shown a willingness to spend money, even if it means exceeding the luxury tax threshhold. In short, by no means does this move really inhibit the Red Sox in any significant way.

If we waited until the deadline, $10M actually buys about $30M in annual salary, since the prorated portion of $30M for 1/3 left to the season is what we paid Drew for about 4 months on borderline impact contributions to the team.

Yes, we may have had to part with a prospect or two, which may or may not have had to be significant. Often times, teams that are out of the playoff hunt just about give away high contract players who will be free agents after the season.

Here are just a few recent transaction for OF'ers at the trade deadline:

A. Soriano and cash for Corey Black

Victorino for Josh Lindblom, Ethan Martin and Stefan Jarrin

Pence for Tommy Joseph, Seth Rosen & N Scierholtz

Bourn for Juan Abreu, Paul Clemens, B Oberholtzer & J Schafer

Carlos Beltran for Zack Wheeler

(Not really a salary dump pick-up- more the reverse) Colby Rasmus (with Trevor Miller, B Tallet & PJ Walters for O Dotel, Edwin Jackson & M Rzepczynski

Pence for Jon Singleton, Jared Cosa Zeid & Domingo Santana 

Some of these deals did give up significant talent- some, no so much.

The Cubs paid $14M of what Soriano was owed, leaving just $5M for the Yanks to pay in 2013.

Yes, I'd rather have last year's Soriano for $5M and 2 months than Drew for $10M and 4 months. Use the other $5M to find a cheap defensive SS and/or capable 4th SP.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Drew is a terrible addition.  he is not better than the minor league options

Defense.  It is still important.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

There were 84 posts on this thread as I post this and I haven't read any of them. Not even the OP.

But the answer to the question is simple.

He can't hurt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

He wasn't worth the 9.5 million last year, what makes anyone think he will be worth what amounts to 14 million this year?  The worst part is we have to hear about this clown and his agent for another offseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew is a terrible addition.  he is not better than the minor league options

Defense.  It is still important.

[/QUOTE]

It looks like some of Theo's man crush on the Drew family rubbed off on Ben.  I think I'll go take a shower now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Listen, whether you want to realize it or not, this team is done and is not going anywhere but down. They overachieved big time last year and really lucked out with players like Johnny Gomes, Daniel Nava, Middlebrooks, Napoli to a certain extent. Management had to have realized that they got career years out of some of these players. in the World Series, Bucholtz was throwing at 75 MPH. Come on, they needed to pull the plug on a deal or get a major hitter. I love Napoli but he was striking out like crazy last year, did they think that he was going to get better? While Ben and Larry fell asleep at the Winter Meetings after patting themselves on the back so many times about their "system" they did nothing but expected all these average players to put up above average statistics, it's not happening nor is it going to happen. This is a failure on their part which I am curious how they are going to fix this next year. I have been a Red Sox fan since the 1970s and have to go back to 1991 to remember a bad hitting Red Sox team or when duquette fell in live with Wayne Hosey, Rudy Pemberton, Vaugh Eshelman and all the other throwaways they picked up back then. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...I am curious how they are going to fix this next year....

We lose a lot of key players, some not so key players, and a ton of salary. It's almost a blank slate. It will be interesting...

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

Stephen Drew will be helping single A for a bit.  Surprised to see him start off this low.  Thought for sure he would be at Pawtucket.  Maybe he will not even see see triple A and the reasoning is so there is no disruption there?  Who knows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I have lost faith in WMD and that shames me...I guess Drew is the best option...but I truly wish they would stick him at 3b and not mess with X at ss

As always - 100% correct!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have lost faith in WMD and that shames me...I guess Drew is the best option...but I truly wish they would stick him at 3b and not mess with X at ss

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he's been brought in partly to help school Bogaerts at ss.  He knows he'll be elsewhere next season, not going to affect him one bit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he's been brought in partly to help school Bogaerts at ss.  He knows he'll be elsewhere next season, not going to affect him one bit.

[/QUOTE]

a positive observation that makes sense....hope its true - i dont want to lose two young players with one injury

Sections
Shortcuts