Is the blame on Saltalamacchia?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Re: Is the blame on Saltalamacchia?

No way the blam is on Salt.  If the pitchers don't like his calls, they shake him off and throw what they want.  For the most part this season Sox pitchers have failed to execute. 

I'm glad we have Salti and I look forward to him becoming our backstop mainstay.  That said, it would be wise to keep Varitek for as long as possible as a backup.  The man is becoming a legend.  He needs to remain a Red Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from .....BABE...... Show .....BABE.....'s posts

In Response to Re: Is the blame on Saltalamacchia?:
    In Response to Re: Is the blame on Saltalamacchia? : Without me having to go look then, since you apparently know...how much has Funai alone ponied up over the past few years for all those post game backdrops and advertising throughout Fenway? It's not cheap, I know that. And that contract was DIRECTLY related to signing DiceK. Not 10mil per year I bet, but it's just one account. And, no, it's foolish to lay this blame on Salty. If you blame him, then you must also blame Tek for ineffectively helping him as well as the pitching coach, and also the SP themselves for not spending enough time pregame going over what they wanted to do. Schilling took care of his own research, he didn't depend on the guy behind then plate to know better than him what he should be throwing. It's the pitcher's responsibility to pitch.

Posted by ma6dragon9

I suggest you read the article.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Is the blame on Saltalamacchia? : Ummm...no, they haven't. I posted a thread on this to clear up this fantasy.
    Posted by .....BABE.....

Without me having to go look then, since you apparently know...how much has Funai alone ponied up over the past few years for all those post game backdrops and advertising throughout Fenway? It's not cheap, I know that. And that contract was DIRECTLY related to signing DiceK. Not 10mil per year I bet, but it's just one account.

And, no, it's foolish to lay this blame on Salty. If you blame him, then you must also blame Tek for ineffectively helping him as well as the pitching coach, and also the SP themselves for not spending enough time pregame going over what they wanted to do. Schilling took care of his own research, he didn't depend on the guy behind then plate to know better than him what he should be throwing. It's the pitcher's responsibility to pitch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeroyBrownn. Show LeroyBrownn's posts

Theo lusted after "Salty" for 3 years.

Bill James must have told him that Salty was the man.

He's nothing special, and I predict yet another Theo Bust.

Can't say I blame him for the bad pitching though...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Is the blame on Saltalamacchia?:
    The starters have not pitched well to begin this season (I know bold statement right) and i'm interested to know how many people are placing the blame on Saltalamacchia's catching skills or knowledge of the game.  It just seemed to me that he was calling for a few of Dice-K's pitches to be left over the plate last night and they were being hit hard, although this definitely does not justify his bad outing.  I'm not saying we should ditch Salty as we can no longer rely on a 39 year old catcher to catch 100+ games, but is he ready yet?
    Posted by wschamps04-07

You can't blame the catcher for all or most of the bad outings....its the staff not getting it done (as a whole) Lester was good in his last outing and Lester is definitely the goods, Beckett also pitched well in has outing.  I think Buchholz will pitch better but there are definitely questions in regard to Dice-K and Lackey and they were there before the season started....its not the catcher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ......Babe....... Show ......Babe......'s posts

No. Was the blame on Salty when Lester through a one run beauty in his last outing? I don't think so! The blame is on Lackey, Buch and DiceK who have yet to give the team a chance to win one of their starts. It's early, we'll see, but it's not Salty's fault. Catching has nothing to do with pitching performance. Cliff Lee moves around without any problem.

Posted by BaseballGM

I agree. I didn't see anyone blaming tek when dice k got pasted in cleveland.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigld57. Show bigld57's posts

ABSOLUTELY SALTY!!   Hes killing the staff with the worst game calling ever A blogger here wrote Beckett was great Yes and VARITEK caught aND CALLED THE GAME

fastballs!!!!!!!  SALTY IS ALLERGIC TO fastballs INC BUCHHOLZ 2 GAMES & DICE K      SLOW CURVES in the middle of the plate are far easier to rip than a 93 MPH FASTBALL    SALTY   FASTBALLS FIRST TO BOTH SIDES OF THE PLATE YOU FOOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Last night Was not Wakefields Fault He was not expecting to Pitch  plus that Catcher cannot Catch Wakefield  He kept messing up Saltalamacchia   can't even HIT A BALL he is useless  But most Catchers have a hard time catching for Wakefield Sox need to DUMP DICE K last night game WAS HIS FAULT Once all those Runs came in in the Second  the energy of the Sox went out of them SEND DICE  K Packing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from triedagain. Show triedagain's posts

How can you be wild and throw right down the middle so many times?!? 

Posted by soxmeister

When I pitched, and the wildness factor reared it's ugly head, I looked to throw straight down the middle, hoping to miss by hitting a corner.

DiceK can still be effective, Ace like even, if he would return to the style that he employed in Japan. The Red Sox put over 100 million on the line for that guy, not this guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from swandive. Show swandive's posts

He may help the staff if he mixed in a hit occasionally at the plate. I have no idea who judges the talent in this league but this guy has NO CLUE at either end of the Plate. Time to kick the tires on a semi retired Bengi Molina !! LOL 
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

if JOHN HENRY is smart, he'll let someone other than THEO kick the tires.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

Ummmmm, Ummmmmm, Ummmmmm

Try out Minor League Baseball Video
    http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/multimedia/milbtv.jsp

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from .....BABE...... Show .....BABE.....'s posts

In Response to Re: Is the blame on Saltalamacchia? : Varitek is one of the best catchers that the Red Sox have ever had.  I definitely agree since Varitek is not playing very often, it is definitely a factor that has contributed to the poor pitching performances last year and this year.  I would like to see Varitek catching more games for the rest of the season. 

Posted by susan250

What about when dice k got bombed in cleveland with tek catching?

Amazes me that tek gets credit when the staff does well but none of the blame when they get killed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from swandive. Show swandive's posts

maybe if the SOX let DICEY wear his JAPANESE uniform with the SOX emblem, he would pitch much better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ......Babe....... Show ......Babe......'s posts

ONe of the few times you have been right in your life.

Posted by BaseballGM

LOL....the other time was my assessment of you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Is the blame on Saltalamacchia? : Seriously? You felt Salty was calling for pitches to be left over the plate? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Salty calls games fine. It isn't his fault when a pitcher doesn't locate. Dice-K was throwing strikes, but not quality ones. Let's not blame Salty when that string of seven Rays reached on pitches entirely in the upper half of the strike zone and out over the plate. You can call the greatest game of all time and it won't mean anything if the pitcher doesn't execute.
    Posted by onesoxtwosoxredsoxbosox
    Bravo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Wake's job is long relief--he gave up a bunch of runs. I would offer Wake the opportunity to retire or be DFA. I would move Aceves into the starting rotation and move Dice or Lackey into long relief keeping Doubrount as a lefthanded reliever.

I would let Tek stay as the starting catcher for one trip throught the rotation with Salty sitting in on all pregame prep and logging pitches for a week. Salty also needs to be working with the hitting coach--he's a mess at the plate as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

why the need to always blame one person?
    Blame the front office for overpaying lackey, Beckett and Dice so there is no money for good relievers.
    Blame the front office again for overpaying for Crawford so there is no money for a catcher. (yes, they did overpay for Crawford, no other offer was close to theirs)
    Blame the cocky almost arrogant attitude of the players who obviously have read their press clippings
    Blame the bad deals that have drained the minor league system. (not the Gonzalez deal though)
    Dumping on Salty and Wake is just a little idiotic.  Who do you replace them with?  What trade chips are available and attractive to other teams? What possible replacements are in the minor leagues? This team has to collectively grow a pair and get the job done.  No excuses!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Jon Lester 506.1 IP with Varitek: 3.48 ERA 272 IP with other catchers: 3.67 ERA  ( Close and Sample size difference) Clay Buchholz 99 IP with Varitek: 5.45 ERA 275.1 IP with other catchers: 3.17 ERA ( Busts the Varitek bubble) Jonathan Papelbon 231.2 IP with Varitek: 2.10 ERA 136.1 IP with other catchers: 2.44 ERA (close and sample size difference) The long-term issue is this: Varitek is 39 and Beckett is signed through 2014. The odds are fairly good that Beckett will still be pitching when Varitek has retired. What happens then? Is Peter joking? Come on, Varitek is in a back up role, has no arm, can't hit and should have retired by now. Sure, he can do a marginal job as a backup, but at some point Theo has to stop neglecting the catcher situtaion and stop shopping for catchers at the pawn shop.
    Posted by BaseballGM

I take it back.
    Your "research" makes you that much worse.
    You must be really desperate.

Tek caught a whole 4 innings of Buccholz in his lone full season. He was more mature last year and threw 2-3 mph harder than in the past. I'm sure you meant to mention that.  Undecided

Tek only caught Lester a fraction of the time VMART caught him since VMART was signed.
    I like how you use the accumulative to distort the picture. Wasn't it you who requested the game logs?

This criteria has to be measured year by year. Pitchers health/form changes from one year to the next.

Even if you go by ur skewed criteria, Lester's ERA with Tek - 3.48 career - is better than Lester's 3.68 ERA with VMART last  year...which happened to be Lester's finest year. Over half of his 2010 games with Tek were shutouts.

Tek caught Lester when Jon struggled with command/control in April/May of 2009. That's why the 2009 numbers favor VMART, who caught Lester in top form.

Career-wise, Lester has a 3.83 ERA with Cash, a good handler of pitchers, covering 51 IP.
    The rest of the back-up catchers have caught no more than 14.6 IP individually.

Now, how about mentioning the rest of the pitchers? How about mentioning team win-loss records with each catcher, or are you afraid other pitchers will get Beckettitis(Beckett w/Tek: 61-27. Beckett with everyone else: 11-14) and make you look more the fool.

Still wanna go by career numbers?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Wake took the bullet, who else would come into a game that was already 7-0 in the second inning?   He does mop up work, and doesn't complain ... saving the arms of more valuable relievers for today. Dice-K left the ball over the plate so many times it was like he was trying to put it there.  How can you be wild and throw right down the middle so many times?!?   Salty has done a decent job, so has Tek.  Lester pitched a great game, so Salty is doing something right. The season is young, and painful.  But many times the Sox have flown out to early season leads just to watch them fade come Aug./Sept..  This team will be stronger as time goes on.
    Posted by soxmeister

I especially agree with the wild vs. always hitting the sweet spot over the plate last night.  My initial reaction after the massacre began in the 2nd was "Is he purposefully trying to get run out of town?"

Honestly, at this point he pretty much has no friends in Boston (no players, no coaches, definitely not fans).  While he's exercised his code of honor a la playing hurt during the WBC for Japan, I wouldn't put it above him to serve up a few meatballs to speed up the trade process.  I see him going to a west coast team, probably NL, with the Sox yet again eating salary to move him.  And good riddance too...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from onesoxtwosoxredsoxbosox. Show onesoxtwosoxredsoxbosox's posts

The starters have not pitched well to begin this season (I know bold statement right) and i'm interested to know how many people are placing the blame on Saltalamacchia's catching skills or knowledge of the game.  It just seemed to me that he was calling for a few of Dice-K's pitches to be left over the plate last night and they were being hit hard, although this definitely does not justify his bad outing.  I'm not saying we should ditch Salty as we can no longer rely on a 39 year old catcher to catch 100+ games, but is he ready yet?
    Posted by wschamps04-07

Seriously? You felt Salty was calling for pitches to be left over the plate? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Salty calls games fine. It isn't his fault when a pitcher doesn't locate. Dice-K was throwing strikes, but not quality ones. Let's not blame Salty when that string of seven Rays reached on pitches entirely in the upper half of the strike zone and out over the plate. You can call the greatest game of all time and it won't mean anything if the pitcher doesn't execute.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

There is one poster on here who blamed Vmart for the demise of the staff last year, so is it not out of the realm of possibility, that Salty's inexperience and lack of skill could be the basis for only one QS when he is catching? I have to believe that if Tek handled Dice last night, we would have seen a much different result from Dice-K. Beckett's two starts were like night and day, and you can be sure that Salty will not catch another one of Beckett's starts.
    Posted by Alibiike

I remember seeing VTEK and VMART together all the time last year, I can't watch the games this year so I have to rely on the radio and this website for updates. Does it look like VTEK is helping Salty. It took a while for the Pitchers to get comfortable with VMART shouldn't we give Salty some time to let the pitchers to get comfortable with him. The only difference I see is the offensive side. VMART hit very well and salty hasn't yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from don444. Show don444's posts

Posted by wschamps04-07

Not at all is it Salty's fault. This is a TEAM thing. Would love for Salty to go to the mound more and stop the bleeding a little bit.Surprised they haven't made that ajustment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from .....BABE...... Show .....BABE.....'s posts

don't blame the catcher for the SLACKEY'S and DICEY'S of the world. blame THEO for SLACKEY; blame the whole front office for DICEY. revenues earned from JAPAN, have probably paid DICEY'S salary twice over. get rid of him and wakefield. ADDITION by SUBTRACTION.

Posted by swandive

Ummm...no, they haven't. I posted a thread on this to clear up this fantasy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

why the need to always blame one person? Blame the front office for overpaying lackey, Beckett and Dice so there is no money for good relievers. Blame the front office again for overpaying for Crawford so there is no money for a catcher. (yes, they did overpay for Crawford, no other offer was close to theirs) Blame the cocky almost arrogant attitude of the players who obviously have read their press clippings Blame the bad deals that have drained the minor league system. (not the Gonzalez deal though) Dumping on Salty and Wake is just a little idiotic.  Who do you replace them with?  What trade chips are available and attractive to other teams? What possible replacements are in the minor leagues? This team has to collectively grow a pair and get the job done.  No excuses!
    Posted by accland

Nobody is blaming Salty for NOT BEING READY!  There is NOTHING that can be done about some of the decesions by the front office to over-pay for some of these guys.  Salty did not make himself the starter, so nobody is blaming the kid for NOT BEING UP TO THE JOB!  Nor is anybody saying it's ALL HIS FAULT either.  Tek is really our only option.  His hitting is still suspect, but he WILL BE solid & dependable behind the plate.  Perhaps 3 out of every 5 games?????  WE NEED a spark!  Salty DOES NOT ingender confidence in this pitching staff!!!!!!!!  I think Beckett's comments after Sunday Night's game were very telling, & I don't think he is the only pitcher who feels that way.  At least Tek would give a boost to a few pitchers who clearly NEED IT.  Salty's a good kid & a hard worker!  He's simply not ready.  He needs to be eased in!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

There is one poster on here who blamed Vmart for the demise of the staff last year, so is it not out of the realm of possibility, that Salty's inexperience and lack of skill could be the basis for only one QS when he is catching? I have to believe that if Tek handled Dice last night, we would have seen a much different result from Dice-K. Beckett's two starts were like night and day, and you can be sure that Salty will not catch another one of Beckett's starts.
    Posted by Alibiike

Varitek is one of the best catchers that the Red Sox have ever had.  I definitely agree since Varitek is not playing very often, it is definitely a factor that has contributed to the poor pitching performances last year and this year.  I would like to see Varitek catching more games for the rest of the season. 

Sections
Shortcuts