Is the Red Sox Yankees rivalry dead?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Is the Red Sox Yankees rivalry dead?

Remember the 70s Red Sox with Bill Lee, and Carlton Fisk. And the Yankees with Thurman Munson, Lou Piniella.

Those players hated each other. Fisk and Munson hated each other. The Yankees hated Lee and Lee hated the Yankees.
    Then we had the Varitek A-Rod battle. And Martinez and Zimmer confrontation.
    Do you miss the heated rivalry or do like a more civil competition like we have today? Players before the game seem to socialize with the opposing players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Re: Is the Red Sox Yankees rivalry dead?

2003_10_zimmer_display_image

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

when the players were poorer and most on one year contracts, the game and the fighting were better.
    now of days, when most players are millionaires and on long term contracts, there isn't that much for them to be mad about.
     the rivalry still exists among the fans, but not so much with the players;
    they are all much too happy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Is the Red Sox Yankees rivalry dead?:
    [QUOTE]Remember the 70s Red Sox with Bill Lee, and Carlton Fisk. And the Yankees with Thurman Munson, Lou Piniella. Those players hated each other. Fisk and Munson hated each other. The Yankees hated Lee and Lee hated the Yankees. Then we had the Varitek A-Rod battle. And Martinez and Zimmer confrontation. Do you miss the heated rivalry or do like a more civil competition like we have today? Players before the game seem to socialize with the opposing players.  

Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

Last I checked 27-7 isn't much of a rivalry.

duke vs UNC....now that's a rivalry!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In Response to Re: Is the Red Sox Yankees rivalry dead?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Is the Red Sox Yankees rivalry dead? : Last I checked 27-7 isn't much of a rivalry. duke vs UNC....now that's a rivalry!!
    Posted by Babe-1[/QUOTE]

babe lives in florida so he probably has no idea what a rivalry even is, that being said, most of these players are friends and joke around on the base paths all the time so its rare that they hate eachother, but i think moments like 04 and even 09 and some personal stuff like the youk and joba scuffle kinda adds a little bit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis reacted after being hit by a fifth-inning pitch from Chien-Ming Wang Saturday. It was the 15th time Youkilis was hit by a pitch this season, the highest number on the team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's an uneven rivalry but a good one nonetheless.  The two cities are very different.  The two team have been around a long time--110 years?  To me it's always been a kind of David and Goliath thing because the Yankees have historically been hands down the best team in MLB and the Sox have been also-rans.  These days, since John Henry bought the Sox, the rivalry is more even. 

One thing the two teams have in common--when they go on the road, they help fill other teams' ballparks. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

i like that take maxbialystock. I always thought it was more like the starwars evil empire vs the republic. I think the 2004 alcs really played that up because i remember the graphic before the series started with the players bats as lightsabers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

GM all, seems like these days the "rivalry" is more between the New York and Boston media, who can write the most unflattering headline when their team loses two in a row...the players maintain a healthy respect for the opponent, i think due to ASG's and the WBC the players get to know one another and maybe perceptions have changed a bit, the game itself is intense enough... it's not they suddenly lose focus of their objective...imo those light moments on the bases add to the enjoyment of the game...

Sections
Shortcuts