Is the time near for cherry-picking the Dodgers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Is the time near for cherry-picking the Dodgers?

The Dodgers are in an unbelievable position of possibly not being able to meet payroll, though I find it hard to fathom MLB won't bail them out further.  

Andre Either (25+ game hitting streak) anyone?  How about Matt Kemp?

At the very least will they and others become easy trade acquisitions?  I cannot see the MLB controlled Dodgers being allowed to trade their best to say a team like The Red Sox.  However the team needs to be able to raise funds and pay an entire organization - the top guys will be the ones to move out.

We shall see how it unfolds, one way or the other it is already embarrassing to Los Angeles and all of baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfss. Show ccfss's posts

Re: Is the time near for cherry-picking the Dodgers?

As you say, not likely to happen, but even if it does do you think it will be some kind of "75% off the stars" fire sale?  MLB would not have taken over what is their second most historically important franchise (behind the Yankees) to dismantle it, the could have left McCourt in place to do that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Its unlikely they will be allowed to trade their stars - but there is limited potential the players might be allowed to walk by all*star break according to article I saw. 

Why not Elles for Kemp straight up along with some cash for the cash strapped Dogers?

Again all unlikely -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Great discussion starter, Burrito. I checked Baseballreference.com, and the Dodgers are well positioned to shed payroll after this year. Ethier and Kemp are signed through 2011, the only long-term guy is Billingsley @32M for the next three years.
      McCourt has stated he had financing from Fox that would clear up his cash-flow problem, MLB won't "approve" it until they can review all the books, which will take just long enough to bankrupt him. The next guy to take over will have a marquee franchise with no big commitments, in other words a free hand to re-stock and re-load. The fix is in. Bud has only so far placed a supervisor of expenses over the team, legally McCourt still owns the team, but Bud is holding all the cards. Using the "best interest clause" he's about to shoplift the franchise.
      Now let's follow the money...the last franchise up for bid was the Rangers,
    Attention, phone call for Mark Cuban, Mr. Cuban, pick up on line one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

how much more money do you think JOHN HENRY'S going to give the INEPTstein one to throw away?
    the team you have now, is the team you are stuck with. get used to it.
    continue BOOING, and all true SOX fans will soon be shouting GOOD-BYE THEO and GOOD-BYE TITO.
    one can only hope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Theo and tito will be around for years..YOU should be the one getting used to it..please give us a couple names that would be a better replacement for both..real names, "anyone could do a better job" doesnt count. Its OK that you dont like them, but instead of trolling on every thread in this forum, you could appear to have somewhat of a baseball IQ and suggest some names that could do a better job as GM and Manager for the Sox

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

And yet the topic train quickly derails thanks to the inept posters on the forum. How about some opinions on the subject at hand?

* Frank McCourt was one of the players in the game to buy our Red Sox in 2001.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

i gave you my opinion; THEO wouldn't know talent if it bit him on the butt.
    take off the pink sunglasses apologists.

there's always someone available who knows how to field manage a team.
    also, there's small market GM'S who couldn't do a worse job of wasting JOHN HENRY'S money than the INEPT one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

C'mon now. Do you really think the red flops are going to add to their payroll when they went to great lengths to cheat baseball out of luxury tax money with the whole agon shenanigans?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

*bump*  As this was already bumped down by some whack job I hope when I log on tomorrow to have a few good comments here.  Thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

the Sox could possibly hold some sway on Ethier as he and Pedroia are really close...DP could provide the sell..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Is the time near for cherry-picking the Dodgers?:
    [QUOTE] Great discussion starter, Burrito. I checked Baseballreference.com, and the Dodgers are well positioned to shed payroll after this year. Ethier and Kemp are signed through 2011, the only long-term guy is Billingsley @32M for the next three years.   McCourt has stated he had financing from Fox that would clear up his cash-flow problem, MLB won't "approve" it until they can review all the books, which will take just long enough to bankrupt him. The next guy to take over will have a marquee franchise with no big commitments, in other words a free hand to re-stock and re-load. The fix is in. Bud has only so far placed a supervisor of expenses over the team, legally McCourt still owns the team, but Bud is holding all the cards. Using the "best interest clause" he's about to shoplift the franchise.   Now let's follow the money...the last franchise up for bid was the Rangers, Attention, phone call for Mark Cuban, Mr. Cuban, pick up on line one.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20[/QUOTE]
    According to Cot's Baseball Contracts, Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp remain under their team's control for one more arbitration year (through the 2012 season).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dERjMG9UTXh6WE9FWFE2NnY0RmdoNHc&output=html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]how much more money do you think JOHN HENRY'S going to give the INEPTstein one to throw away? the team you have now, is the team you are stuck with. get used to it. continue BOOING, and all true SOX fans will soon be shouting GOOD-BYE THEO and GOOD-BYE TITO. one can only hope.
    Posted by byebyeepstein[/QUOTE]

If they boo, they are a pink hat.   This is the same guys who were booing the Sox after game 3 against the Yanks in the ALCS in '04.   Wimps.  Grow some gonads, and SUPPORT your team when times are tough.   There is no crying in baseball, and whining is worse than crying. 

Man up.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd like to have Crawfords money and Lackey's back in the piggy bank - might come in useful in 2012 when the Dodgers fold Cry

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

In Response to Is the time near for cherry-picking the Dodgers?:
    [QUOTE]The Dodgers are in an unbelievable position of possibly not being able to meet payroll, though I find it hard to fathom MLB won't bail them out further.   Andre Either (25+ game hitting streak) anyone?  How about Matt Kemp? At the very least will they and others become easy trade acquisitions?  I cannot see the MLB controlled Dodgers being allowed to trade their best to say a team like The Red Sox.  However the team needs to be able to raise funds and pay an entire organization - the top guys will be the ones to move out. We shall see how it unfolds, one way or the other it is already embarrassing to Los Angeles and all of baseball.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

What trading chips can Theo use to deal ?    The Dodgers will be interested in more than cash.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanthadon508. Show seanthadon508's posts

doubront, lowrie, kalish

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Herein lies the problem, contracts are so gargantuan it makes most decent players immobile.  I'd say Elles could be moved - it would appease the LA fan base a bit that they got something back, and by the time he is ready to be a free agent perhaps the Dodgers might be able to afford him.

Other than Elles, or Lowrie it would have to be all minor leaguers.  

Either way I was more trying to steer the thread towards the fact the Dodgers can't make payroll and what the potential repercussions might be.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]Herein lies the problem, contracts are so gargantuan it makes most decent players immobile.  I'd say Elles could be moved - it would appease the LA fan base a bit that they got something back, and by the time he is ready to be a free agent perhaps the Dodgers might be able to afford him. Other than Elles, or Lowrie it would have to be all minor leaguers.   Either way I was more trying to steer the thread towards the fact the Dodgers can't make payroll and what the potential repercussions might be.

The red flops don't have all that much enticing pieces in the minors.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hey I am trying to have a successful thread here - can you sit this one out?  I want people to participate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They could be very active at the deadline Burrito..All depends on where the money situation stands in July. Right now they are just a tick under 120mil on their 2011 payroll. They have 11 FA after this season with 5 arbitration eligible players including Kemp, Loney and Ethier. If they ARE going to cut payroll, my guess is it might start this year so they can collect some young inexpensive players for the coming years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Burrito, old friend. You were right to point out that McCourt was a bidder for the Olde Towne Team some years ago.  MLB knew something then, and their premonitions have come to pass.

No wonder Torre walked away.

Sad. A great franchise brought low by a reprobate owner.  Sort of like the Knicks - different owner, different sport, same outcome.

But I digress. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

southpaw777 I think so too.  summerof67 I agree with you also.

So I guess we can all agree Innocent how easy was that?  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

MLB is stepping in precisely to avoid a potential fire sale IMO. The motivations appear to be two fold and IMO understanding why MLB stepped in is key to understanding why they won't be having a fire sale.

First of all, the potential deal that McCourt has with FOX would solve his short term cash flow issues. But the other owners feel that McCourt has badly under valued his media rights in order to get the cash and be set-up at some future date to have true control of the media rights and that the contract is far too long. They care because in their opinion it under values their media rights and FOX is the local media partner for a lot of the clubs.

The second issue of course is that the McCourt's divorce peeled back the layers on the onion and exposed the McCourt's finances, how they used the Dodger franchise as a ATM through loan guarantees to buy properties for their personal use and Frank's long term plan to run his team with an moderate payroll while jacking up ticket prices and developing the land around Dodger Stadium.

If this was a small media market team MLB may well have let things continue as they are but it is the Dodgers and they are the lead baseball brand in America's second largest media market.

The league isn't stepping in to have a fire sale. They are stepping in to stabilize the team, keep it attractive and find an owner that will run it with a commitment to building up the equity in the franchise rather than finding ways to get the current equity out of the team.

Like the Rangers, the Dodgers will need MLB approval to increase their payroll but in the right circumstances will get it, just like the Rangers did last year. They may need to trim some players come 2012 from the payroll to deal with arbitration for Either and Kemp but IMO they won't be putting those players on the open market or non-tendering them after 2011. Those players and Dodger Stadium are a big part of the "attraction" to the next owners whoever they are.

I will give Frank McCourt this, he never says die and will be an ugly litigious opponent for MLB. But just as his wife Jamie did, IMO MLB will prevail. With the right ownership that is in a position to create their own media outlet like YES, MASN, NESN would be a beast in the NL. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

[QUOTE]Hey I am trying to have a successful thread here - can you sit this one out?  I want people to participate.

What exactly is your definition of a "successful thread"? One where everyone agrees? One that spews fantasies and illogical posts?

I am participating and have brought up valid points that you don't answer.

If the red flops went through all those hoops with the agon contract to avoid the luxury tax what makes you think they are going to add to their payroll now? The dodgers will be looking for salary relief, so it's not like they are going to be eating money on players they trade or taking bloated contracts back in return.

Secondly, the farm has very few pieces that other teams would find attractive. And if the sawx trade the few valuable farm pieces they have left, where would that leave the farm system?