Is theo the best GM in boston? interesting read

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Is theo the best GM in boston? interesting read

Who is the best GM in Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Re: Is theo the best GM in boston? interesting read

Is there a link or something?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

this question is easy:

no, no way, no time, no chance.

i like the guy GMing the bruins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Chiarelli did a lot more with a lot less, I agree, he's the best GM in Boston. At the trade deadline, he got Peverly, Kelly. He got Horton in the offseason for Wideman. He has 15 of the players on the Cup champions already signed for next season under the cap. He has more money now that Savard is likely forced to retire. He has not one, but two quality goalies. He allowed for Marchand to grow and with Claude he has made sure that Tyler Seguin not be force-fed into a key role yet as a B. He already replaced Kaberle by shrewdly acquiring Joe Corvo under the radar. This guy is simply brilliant. No other way to describe Peter Puck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Apples and oranges.  The NHL is a minor league sport--kind of like women's basketball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

There's a lot of guys using Cashman as an example that Theo really isn't all that out of line with his high-priced signings. I hate making comparisons to other teams. Other teams do what the hell they want. The Sox are the team I care about and who they sign, and what they acquire contributes or negates the team's quest for success. Theo smartly got his man in AGON, smartly let VMART leave, and didn't give up on Ortiz. But his high-priced signings of Crawford, Lackey, and Drew and Dice-K have been true albatross moves for the club. We are stuck with Crawford-Lackey because of salary, and hopefully Tito will take the nod from the Drew-Dice K circus to understand that performance on the field will take precedent, and not salary for the players determining who plays and who doesn't. I think Theo has done a lot of great things, but also been guilty of some really odd decisions (Bridge in 2010). He is a good GM, but easy to criticize as it is easy to criticize Cashman. Similar payrolls, similar motives.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

max, you are an absolute fool with that ignorant comment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Is theo the best GM in boston? interesting read:
    Apples and oranges.  The NHL is a minor league sport--kind of like women's basketball. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

well, the SOX have a minor league GM.
    and you're an idiot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Is theo the best GM in boston? interesting read:
    Is there a link or something?
    Posted by rickerd2

just click on the sentence and you'll go to the story.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I agree with max, I used to be a huge NHL fan, I can't stand to watch the sport anymore.

Since the lockout year, the game has become even more dreadfully deliberate and boring, mechanical and uncreative than it was in the 90's and frankly, it stunk in the 90's, too.

P.C. of the Bruins will get lots of support, but without a salary cap the two teams that won the last two years in the NHL would still be chasing a Cup. Chicago and Boston had cheapskate owners (Wirtz and Jacobs) since the 70's who wouldn't spend for a winner, now in salary cap era hockey all of sudden both finally win a Cup??? It's a joke.

Epstein makes  a good case for himself, but really he has enough money behind him to make mistakes and survive...and he has, but I still like him. No way he's a genius or anything though, but he's pretty smart.

Basketball I don't know.....

Baseball been bery, bery good to me!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

witch GM in Boston has the most championship rings?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Agreed.  My comments were intemperate, but that's what I think.  The NFL is probably America's sport, but MLB isn't far behind.  Then comes the NBA, which probably gets the biggest international audience.  And finally, and well back, is the NHL.  It doesn't help, in my opinion, that the American/Canadian version is mostly about checking and fighting.  What was the name of the Paul Newman hockey flic? 

My strident comments were mostly caused by someone wanting to take over a baseball blog site with discussion about a hockey team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

zilla, all i can tell you is i watched the team during the reg. season and the playoffs. The season and playoffs were far from boring. The excitement and drama was built on each round of the playoffs, and while you can make legitimate comments about the way the league has more parity, it's not completely far off from the NFL in terms of using a cap and the way more teams are on a par with each other. In baseball, the haves are the haves and the have nots are the have nots though it's getting better for some of the franchises that previously had no shot (Pittsburgh).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Chiarelli is getting a lot of lift from winning the Cup Danny. The B's were a team that clearly dodged a bullet in Montreal in the first round or while it would have been foolish, Claude and Peter would both have been gone coming off of the meltdown versus the Flyers last year.

Whether the Bruins are a sustainable elite team or a team that as often happens rode a hot goalie to a Cup remains to be seen. And that ride was with an historically hot goalie to hide profound weaknesses like the worst PP in the history of Cup champions.

All that said they have done a marvelously good job. But comparing the sports is impossible. Epstein deals with the pros and cons of no cap. Ainge deals with the complex NBA soft cap system. Bellichick needs to build 50 plus man rosters with a complex cap system but can get relief through the fact the NFL has limited guarantees on their contracts.

The 4 teams have all blessed us with great product in recent years and that is should be enough. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think Chiarelli still did a lot of things that set the team up to succeed. And I agree they did dodge bullets to get as far as they did. However, he could not have counted on Savard being hurt the entire playoffs. He essentially couldn't replace him and still they won. That to me is impressive in itself. With Savard healthy, I think it would have helped the PP and probably gave the team enough to sustain offensively. Either way, the team won and it's not an easy feat. Look at the great teams that failed, including 70-71 and 73-74. You get beat by a hot goalie, lots of variables come into play in NHL playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts