Is there a code between managers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Is there a code between managers?

after a team has clinched a playoff spot, what does a manager owe, if anything to other managers and players, who are still playing for one? While Girardi has to do what's best for the Yankees, does he also have an obligation to field as close to a "A" team, in fairness to the Angels and Rays? i think any manger worth their salt would and does. the tables may be turned someday and wouldnt be forgotten. I felt Girardi should play as close to full strength as possible against the Rays, while understanding he needs to rest players and set the rotation for the playoffs. As a Red Sox fan I have to feel the same way. Cant hope he goes all out to beat the Rays and not Boston.  can't have it both ways.  whoever gets in, should get in by earning it.

Thoughts??
    '

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

Re: Is there a code between managers?

In Response to Is there a code between managers?:
    [QUOTE]after a team has clinched a playoff spot, what does a manager owe, if anything other managers and players who are still playing for one? While Girardi has to do whats best for the Yankees, does he also have an obligation to field as close to a "A" team, in fairness to the Angels and Rays? i think any manger worth their salt would and does. the tables may be turned someday and wouldnt be forgotten. I felt Girardi should play as close to full strength as possible against the Rays, while understanding he needs to rest players and set the rotation for the playoffs. As a Red Sox fan I have to feel the same way. Cant hope he goes all out to beat the Rays and not Boston.  can't have it both ways.  whoever gets in should get in by earning it. Thought?? '
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Girardi did nothing wrong J-Bay had the Sox clinched and rested some guys and lost and it affected the Yankees you wouldn't be starting a thread about it.  Nothing was done wrong--at all.

BTW the Yankees scored 8 runs, after Colon got shelled he wasn't about to put in our better relievers he was trying to rest the BP.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

mikey i didnt say he did. Francona would do the same as I would expect and want him to as a fan.  you and I had this discussion and i've also had it here at work between sox and yankees fans. varying opinions and i thought with the upcoming series it would be a good topic discussion today. My questions is what if anything does any manager owe another in this position. First obligation is to the team thats paying him. but do they owe something to the game or other managers fighting for a playoff spot?? This isnt about Girardi, charlie manuel is in the same position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]after a team has clinched a playoff spot, what does a manager owe, if anything other managers and players who are still playing for one? While Girardi has to do whats best for the Yankees, does he also have an obligation to field as close to a "A" team, in fairness to the Angels and Rays? i think any manger worth their salt would and does. the tables may be turned someday and wouldnt be forgotten. I felt Girardi should play as close to full strength as possible against the Rays, while understanding he needs to rest players and set the rotation for the playoffs. As a Red Sox fan I have to feel the same way. Cant hope he goes all out to beat the Rays and not Boston.  can't have it both ways.  whoever gets in should get in by earning it. Thought?? '
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Interesting question J-BAY. My take is this: A manager's first and only obligation is his team. Once you clinch, you give guys who are a little hurt or tired some rest.

Girardi went with something of a split squad last night, and I don't blame him. I'm sure we'll see mostly regulars, but I'm also betting some guys will get nights off against us. Which is how it should be.

(Personally, I think he should rest Mo against us. And Robertson, too. Cano ... Granderson ... )

NOTE: Believe it or not, originally in the second sentence I wrote "guys who are a little b-a-n-g-e-d up." And the censors wouldn't let me use that word!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers?:
    [QUOTE]mikey i didnt say he did. Francona would do the same as I would expect and want him to as a fan.  you and I had this discussion and i've also had it here at work between sox and yankees fans. varying opinions and i thought with the upcoming series it would be a good topic discussion today. My questions is what if anything does any manger owe another in this position.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Its odd that you think he did nothing wrong but yet felt that this topic was somehow needed to be brought up.  Girardi owes the Sox nothing and if the Sox had clinched Tito would owe us nothing, I wouldn't expect the Sox to go all out after clinching unless he was playing the Yankees and wanted us elminated....I would expect the Sox to try to eliminate us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is there a code between managers? : Interesting question J-BAY. My take is this: A manager's first and only obligation is his team. Once you clinch, you give guys who are a little hurt or tired some rest. Girardi went with something of a split squad last night, and I don't blame him. I'm sure we'll see mostly regulars, but I'm also betting some guys will get nights off against us. Which is how it should be. (Personally, I think he should rest Mo against us. And Robertson, too. Cano ... Granderson ... ) NOTE: Believe it or not, originally in the second sentence I wrote "guys who are a little b-a-n-g-e-d up." And the censors wouldn't let me use that word!
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]
    I like that Lloyd.....Yeah Cano, Grandy, Robertson and Mo seem tired, give them the night off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I would think the manager owes it to the people attending the game to put out a reasonable line up.They paid a lot of money to see a professional team,not a AAA team.Of course,you have to take into consideration that there are players who need a day off to get rested for the upcoming playoffs.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : I think the Yankees should sign Ed Whitson and pitch him this weekend...:-)
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

These next three games are crucial for the integrity of the game....if I'm manager of the Yankees:  ALL HANDS ON DECK and then the kids play in Tampa.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : Its odd that you think he did nothing wrong but yet felt that this topic was somehow needed to be brought up.  Girardi owes the Sox nothing and if the Sox had clinched Tito would owe us nothing, I wouldn't expect the Sox to go all out after clinching unless he was playing the Yankees and wanted us elminated....I would expect the Sox to try to eliminate us.
    Posted by MikeintheBronx-[/QUOTE]

mikey, please stop being so defensive. I didnt say he did anything wrong he hasnt done anything yet has he?? I'm asking it as general question, charlie manuel is in the same postion. phillies clinched Saturday while other NL teams are still looking to make the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : mikey, please stop being so defensive. I didnt say he did anything wrong he hasnt done anything yet has he?? I'm asking it as general question, charlie manuel is in the same postion. phillies clinched sunday while other NL teams are still looking to make the playoffs.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

In a thread the other night before this series you speculated that you thought Girardi would not do the right thing in your opinion in regard to the Sox, so I know where you are coming from.  J you spin all things positive for the Sox and all things negative for the Yanks, as I said if the tables were turned and the Sox had clinched you would not have started this thread. 

Although as I stated above, if I were the Yankees skipper....all hands on deck tonight for the integrity of the game and then the kids play in tampa....give Betances a start down there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]after a team has clinched a playoff spot, what does a manager owe, if anything other managers and players, who are still playing for one? While Girardi has to do what's best for the Yankees, does he also have an obligation to field as close to a "A" team, in fairness to the Angels and Rays? i think any manger worth their salt would and does. the tables may be turned someday and wouldnt be forgotten. I felt Girardi should play as close to full strength as possible against the Rays, while understanding he needs to rest players and set the rotation for the playoffs. As a Red Sox fan I have to feel the same way. Cant hope he goes all out to beat the Rays and not Boston.  can't have it both ways.  whoever gets in, should get in by earning it. Thoughts?? '
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I agree, the game should be decided on the field by giving your best effort, not by a manager who may prefer to play a particular team.  Like you said bad choices, more often than not come back to haunt you at some point.

I can understand giving certain guys a rest before the PS but that may be had for other players who are in a groove and just prefer to play so this can also work against you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : These next three games are crucial for the integrity of the game....if I'm manager of the Yankees:  ALL HANDS ON DECK and then the kids play in Tampa.

that's part of the question mikey. play hard these three games against the sox then not against tampa? why? not sure theres a right or wrong answer just curious what everyone thought on both sides since it involves our teams. we had a great debate at work and thought it would be good topic today

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : that's part of the question mikey. play hard these three games against the sox then not against tampa? why? not sure theres a right or wrong answer just curious what everyone thought on both sides since it involves our teams. we had a great debate at work and thought it would be good topic today
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Well I'm a biased fan, I don't think Girardi thinks the same way I do.  I want the Sox on the golf course next week so I'd have everyone ready to go tonight.  CC coming out of the bullpen if need be.......JK

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

What the manager owes to anyone is to give his team the best chance to win the WS.  He can put whatever team he wants to out there, to rest some people, to sharpen other people, and to not care what the score is or how it might affect other teams.

IMO, it is like the final spring training days when you prep for the regular season.  If a team needs the Yanks to do something, then it is that team's problem for getting into a position where they need some other team to do something.

Manager should not, however, deliberately try to get one team into our out of the playoffs.  Why?  Because it motivates the team they are trying to harm, and that can always come back and bite you in the behind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : In a thread the other night before this series you speculated that you thought Girardi would not do the right thing in your opinion in regard to the Sox, so I know where you are coming from.  J you spin all things positive for the Sox and all things negative for the Yanks, as I said if the tables were turned and the Sox had clinched you would not have started this thread.  Although as I stated above, if I were the Yankees skipper....all hands on deck tonight for the integrity of the game and then the kids play in tampa....give Betances a start down there.

I dont think I said that mikey. If it came off that way, i didnt mean it to. not always in my best frame of mind lately on the game threads. I think i said i hoped he would and we had the discussion. Ya i would have started the discussion Mikey because as i said cant have it both ways cant condone it if it suits you then not if it doesnt. i also hope girardi plays as close to full strength in tampa. if the sox get in, i want them to earn it. i dont want to hear we limped in, the yankees helped us. that said the sox shouldnt even be in this position and have no one to blame but themselves. this is more of a question about the integrity of the game and among managers. i wondered if there is one or its every man for himself or is it an unspoken rule between them. phillies clinced saturday, sunday i was surprsied to see Manuel played his regulars, which is what got me thinking about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : I dont think I said that mikey. If it came off that way, i didnt mean it to. not always in my best frame of mind lately on the game threads. I think i said i hoped he would and we had the discussion. Ya i would have started the discussion Mikey because as i said cant have it both ways cant condone it if it suits you then not if it doesnt. i also hope girardi plays as close to full strength in tampa. if the sox get in, i want them to earn it. i dont want to hear we limped in, the yankees helped us. that said the sox shouldnt even be in this position and have no one to blame but themselves. this is more of a question about the integrity of the game and among managers. i wondered if there is one or its every man for himself or is it an unspoken rule between them
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    I see the Sox winning tonight because the pitching favors them, though it is raining here in the city...who knows if this thing starts on time.  You did write the other night in another thread that you thought Girardi would not do the right thing but I don't know man maybe you can chalk it up to nerves due to the Sox play of late but, J to be honest you do a lot of spinning on this forum so I don't know.  I don't want the Sox to make it in but 2 games up with 6 to go, they still look like a solid bet to make it in and a Sox win and Tampa loss tonight would go a long way toward making that happen.  Obviously I am hoping for the inverse.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Girardi's loyalty has to be to the guy who is writing his paycheck , and to the N.Y. fans.  He owes nothing to the other teams.  It looks like we are getting desperate and grasping for straws. The Sox have put themselves in this position with their poor play , and it is up to them to get themselves straightened out and turn things around. Do not look for help from other teams, least of all the Yankees. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : I see the Sox winning tonight because the pitching favors them, though it is raining here in the city...who knows if this thing starts on time.  You did write the other night in another thread that you thought Girardi would not do the right thing but I don't know man maybe you can chalk it up to nerves due to the Sox play of late but, J to be honest you do a lot of spinning on this forum so I don't know.  I don't want the Sox to make it in but 2 games up with 6 to go, they still look like a solid bet to make it in and a Sox win and Tampa loss tonight would go a long way toward making that happen.  Obviously I am hoping for the inverse.

mikey, i'm not sure there is a RIGHT thing, which is the basis for the discussion. its just my opinion that every manager should do whats best for their team first but also do right by the game and other managers, as they may find themselves on the other side of the street some day. kinda the do unto others....thats another interesting question. do yankee fans want to see the sox get in?. I asked this of another yankee poster here and he had mixed feelings. said yes, because it was the way it should be but selfishly no. I agreed i would feel the same way if positions were reversed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

[QUOTE]Girardi's loyalty has to be to the guy who is writing his paycheck , and to the N.Y. fans.  He owes nothing to the other teams.  It looks like we are getting desperate and grasping for straws. The Sox have put themselves in this position with their poor play , and it is up to them to get themselves straightened out and turn things around. Do not look for help from other teams, least of all the Yankees. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    If the tables were turned and the Yankees were looking to get into the postseason I would feel the exact same way if the Sox had the upper hand. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411914. Show user_4411914's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there a code between managers? : mikey, i'm not sure there is a RIGHT thing, which is the basis for the discussion. its just my opinion that every manager should do whats best for their team first but also do right by the game and other managers, as they may find themselves on the other side of the street some day. kinda the do unto others....thats another interesting question. do yankee fans want to see the sox get in?. I asked this of another yankee poster here and he had mixed feelings. said yes, because it was the way it should be but selfishly no. I agreed i would feel the same way if positions were reversed.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Alls fair in love and war--and baseball.