Is there anyway the Sox don't make playoffs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Is there anyway the Sox don't make playoffs?

Looking at standings the Sox would have to have monumental collaspe, their biggest concern going forward has to be the health of the team especially starting pitchers. Will their big lead be an excuse to down play trade at deadline. I hope the overall goal is to win the series not just make it, and to do that they will need an upgrade of a RH bat off the bench, and another arm in the pen IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Is there anyway the Sox don't make playoffs?

Mr Henry has already said not to expect much of a change by the deadline.

Only way we miss the playoffs is through the kind of injuires that derailed 2006 and last season.

But we have already seen some high level injuries and seem to be holding up ...fairly well.

Nah ... we won't miss the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Sox were 62-37 on 7/29/79 -- the season after the monumental collapse to beat all monumental collapses.  Oddly they were 5 games back due to BAL being 69-34 (and this is 3 years BEFORE Ripken!)  They finished in 3rd. 

63 games to go and I like our chances but I'm not gonna get too excited.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Some people just love to tempt fate.

This is why we need these type signs:

There is always a chance of a choke:

Even Captain Kirk was not immune.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

If they finish in second place in the ALE and don't have the highest winning percentage among the three second place AL teams, they won't make the post season.

Hopefully, that clarifies it for you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Yes. Now knock on wood and never post anything like this again

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Is there anyway the Sox don't make playoffs?:
    [QUOTE]Looking at standings the Sox would have to have monumental collaspe, their biggest concern going forward has to be the health of the team especially starting pitchers. Will their big lead be an excuse to down play trade at deadline. I hope the overall goal is to win the series not just make it, and to do that they will need an upgrade of a RH bat off the bench, and another arm in the pen IMO.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

How many pen arms do you want?  Paps has been solid, he peripherals suggest he's been better than his ERA. Bard has been good as usual (0.82 WHIP).  Albers has been lights out other than his 1 bad outting, which he has since recovered from (1.19 WHIP, 2.29 ERA).  Aceves has been a savior in the pen (1.00 WHIP from the pen).  Wheeler has been great since returning from the DL (16.2 IP, 5 ER, 0.72 WHIP).

That's 5 guys in the pen that you don't have any problem seeing on the mound.  Hopefully Jenks returns to form (and health) at some point as well.  The only real need in the pen is a LHP, but come playoff time, I see Miller filling that role as things currently stand.  Doubront is also a possibility.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Please I thought Beavis would start something like this...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Which is more likely.  They continue their current .626 winning percentage(101 wins), they continue their .689 winning percentage from the last 87 games (105 wins), or despite lester, crawford, and hopefully Buch coming off the DL, their winning percentage drops below the current .626.

Highly likely they at least continue the current .626 in my mind.  101 wins WILL win the division.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

It's possible, but unlikely that they won't make it. They've still been winning with a patchwork starting rotation and now we get Lester back. Hopefully it won't be too long before Buchholz gets back.

That said, I've been following this team too long to take anything for granted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

102 wins

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Barring 2010-like injuries, the Sox are going to the postseason.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

coolstandings.com gives the Red Sox a 4.1% chance of missing the playoffs.

It's just a number, but I imagine it is in the ballpark. Sometimes these things happen...