Is there even a chance of an argument?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from f1502nv. Show f1502nv's posts

Is there even a chance of an argument?

That Gonzo is the best player in baseball... I'd say hands down. What this guy does is unbelievable. Along with everybody else I thought this guy was going to be good, excellent, great. But as of right now, he has exceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded all expectations. This guys the best in baseball, hands down. So my question is.. Why isn't he getting the spotlight and credit he deserves ? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Is there even a chance of an argument?

I said before the season that before he was done here we would be talking about gonzo in the same sentences as the great Ted Williams. I maintain my stance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Is there even a chance of an argument?:
    [QUOTE]I said before the season that before he was done here we would be talking about gonzo in the same sentences as the great Ted Williams. I maintain my stance.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go that far just yet but it's starting to look like he's the best in the bizz.  I'd like to see him get hot and get towards the top of the league in HR.  That would really cement this argument.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

HR'S are overrated. the important thing in baseball is to drive in runs. A-GON is doing that quite nicely thank you, at a rate of almost 1 per game.
    no doubt, he definitely has the prettiest swing in the game today. and as i mentioned yesterday, he's on pace to achieve 400+ total bases. last SOX player to do it was RICE in '78.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Is there even a chance of an argument?:
    [QUOTE]That Gonzo is the best player in baseball... I'd say hands down. What this guy does is unbelievable. Along with everybody else I thought this guy was going to be good, excellent, great. But as of right now, he has exceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded all expectations. This guys the best in baseball, hands down. So my question is.. Why isn't he getting the spotlight and credit he deserves ? 
    Posted by f1502nv[/QUOTE] unecessary question....trust me, those in the know give AG every bit of credit due...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]That Gonzo is the best player in baseball... I'd say hands down. What this guy does is unbelievable. Along with everybody else I thought this guy was going to be good, excellent, great. But as of right now, he has exceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeded all expectations. This guys the best in baseball, hands down. So my question is.. Why isn't he getting the spotlight and credit he deserves ? 
    Posted by f1502nv[/QUOTE]  AND THIS IS WHY THEO SENT THE HANDFULL OF "CHIPS" WEST TO S D !!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Of course there is an argument,  many would make a strong case for Bautista who I believe has a higher slugging % and ops and obp% and more HR's.

I'd still vote for Gonzo as the best hitter in the league, but there is an argument there. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from f1502nv. Show f1502nv's posts

[QUOTE]Of course there is an argument,  many would make a strong case for Bautista who I believe has a higher slugging % and ops and obp% and more HR's. I'd still vote for Gonzo as the best hitter in the league, but there is an argument there. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, but I think when it all comes down to the actual best player in the bigs Bautista wouldn't be in the running. When I think of the best player in the bigs the first player that always comes to mind is Pujols. To me that is the benchmark, Which i think Gonzo has surpassed. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

But I came here for an argument!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]Of course there is an argument,  many would make a strong case for Bautista who I believe has a higher slugging % and ops and obp% and more HR's. I'd still vote for Gonzo as the best hitter in the league, but there is an argument there. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]
    So answer this regarding Bautista vs. Adrian...you have to make the decision today as the GM and you can take Bautista or Adrian...who do you take? Me? Without even a nano-second of thought Adrian.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there even a chance of an argument? : Yeah, but I think when it all comes down to the actual best player in the bigs Bautista wouldn't be in the running. When I think of the best player in the bigs the first player that always comes to mind is Pujols. To me that is the benchmark, Which i think Gonzo has surpassed. 
    Posted by f1502nv[/QUOTE]

ehh IDK, Bautista has some nasty numbers, and if you ask me Pujols is the Benchmark because of what he has done over the past several years not just this year, in which case we can't say that Gonzo has past that mark yet.

Regardless I think Gonzo is the best hitter in the league right now and remember that is the argument here who is the best hitter "NOW"  which some could make a strong case for Bautista arguing present day numbers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there even a chance of an argument? : So answer this regarding Bautista vs. Adrian...you have to make the decision today as the GM and you can take Bautista or Adrian...who do you take? Me? Without even a nano-second of thought Adrian.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Yup,  Gonzlez has been more consistant over the past several years, he has gold glove defense and he is younger giving you more years in his prime. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think it is possible that he will "get hot" with HRs as the summer heats up.  But, the great part about Adrian is that he is a Manny in an Ichiro soul.  He values a single as much as a homerun.  I could care less if he hits 40 hrs.  He's gonna have like 170 rbis and a .400+ OBP.  Triple Crown is lovely speculation, but I love watching him do his thing without having to be a traditional slugger.  I have never seen a hitter so adept at taking what is given him and doing the right thing with any pitch.  If thats a slap single, so be it.  If he knocks it into next week, so be it.  He is a smooth assassin.  Not sure he would be that killer if he was focusing on the long ball (which he obviously could).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Bautista is probably going to win the HR category, but his average has dropped while Gonzo's has increased.  Gonzalez will take 2 of the 3 Triple Crown categories.

It's one thing to increase your average from the mid .200s to the low .300s; it's another thing to bump it up to .350 from .328.  What Gonzalez is doing right now is ridiculous, and it's not just because Fenway is a smaller park. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

While as of right now, Bautista has the better numbers, when the year ends, i think Agon will be the better hitter, and throughout the entirety of his contract, i think there is a good possibilty of him being the best player in baseball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No comparison with Bautista.  Bautista has cooled off on the dingers because pitchers know what to do with him now.  He has great power, a nice compact swing.  But he has major holes in his swing.  Adrian has none.  

Even if Bautista ends up with more home runs, there is no comparison.  Home runs are awesome.  But they tend to dominate the discussion of hitting prowess.  I just don't see bautista and Gonzalez even in the same league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]Bautista is probably going to win the HR category, but his average has dropped while Gonzo's has increased.  Gonzalez will take 2 of the 3 Triple Crown categories. It's one thing to increase your average from the mid .200s to the low .300s; it's another thing to bump it up to .350 from .328.  What Gonzalez is doing right now is ridiculous, and it's not just because Fenway is a smaller park. 

Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Why is it different to go from .328 to .350 than from the mid .200s to the low .300s?

And, as much as you might not like to admit it, playing his home games in that little league park does have a significant impact.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Give him a year or two in Boston and people will forget about guys like Teixeira.  AGon will be an amazing player for us if he can stay healthy and everyone will be talking about him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

YES THERE IS A CHANCE FOR ARGUMET LE ME BEGIN

DEREK JETER

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is there even a chance of an argument? : Yeah, but I think when it all comes down to the actual best player in the bigs Bautista wouldn't be in the running. When I think of the best player in the bigs the first player that always comes to mind is Pujols. To me that is the benchmark, Which i think Gonzo has surpassed. 

I am in agreement with your argument, for the most part. If we add in defense, Adrian wins hands down over Bautista, and fairly solidly over Pujols.
    Now...offensively? You have to give credit to ctredsoxfanhugh's point. Then consider this:
    What would Bautista's numbers be if he played in the lineup A-Gon is in right now?

OMG...what would his numbers be if he played in that lineup WITH A-Gon?

Hmmm... Bautista in RF instead of Drew...I MIGHT make that trade - lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll throw this one out there:

Beckett has faced 354 batters so far this year. Their line is...

.174/.257/.241/.498   4 HRs  (19 Runs allowed)

Gonzo is...

.353/.406/.610/1.016  15 HRs 67 RBIs in 325 PAs.

I'd like to see the league average numbers and compare to see who is farther from the norm. Just a thought.

(I'm not saying Agon is not the best, but Beckett has been awesome as well and has faced more batters than AGon has faced pitchers.)

This winter I tried to show that the park dimensions would help AGon become much better than he already was. Several posters thought the AL East pitching would minimize that factor. Maybe the pitching isn't as good as before, but AGon has been buttah vs the East:

Tor  1.317
    Bal  1.304
    TB   1.250
    NY    .886  (11 RBI in 9 games)