1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

is this exchange symbolic of the problem or a clue to the SOLUTION?

“You living in a fantasy world? Were you watching the game?” Valentine asked. “That’s not even worth answering.”

When word of the exchange reached the clubhouse, Pedroia called Valentine over to his locker and shook his hand. Pedroia later said he thought Valentine handled the situation well.

the former was bv's response to a reporter who wanted to know why he didnt pre-emptively start a beef with an umpire BEFORE pedy went out there and got ejected when he went out for defense. on one hand, i like that this team seems to be a lot more together than the lying and controversy-selling buzz-slaving media likes to report including with both pedy and becks in relation to bv. methinks these guys actually like or at the least do not HATE their manager (whatever issues they had seems to be water under the bridge). they stink because they stink. pedy would not be hitting .300 if tito was here, nor would becks be a lights-out pitcher with the slop he throws up there.

but the beef i have with this exchange is the entitled, presumptive way PEDY in particular feels he can approach and deal with his MANAGER. tito way overdid the cribbage thing and wasnt into tight boundaries. he was the dad that let his teenager get a sip of his beer or would open a cold one and flip a bottle over to his teen son or daughter as he took his shirt off, ripped a few and took in the baseball game while talking about how hot mom was between the sheets or the teenage gal across the street and so forth. it may seem like a little thing but i dont think its appropriate for pedy to be the one approaching the manager with reporters and cameras around to congratulate or shake his hand for just doing his job. it tells you a lot about where the power really lies.

can you imagine tom brady or anyone on the pats doing this with belichick in a similar scenario or way? perhaps on your workout day, way behind closed doors or while HE chooses to more casually hang out with you behind the scenes you may then drop some gratitude on him, but NEVER in the way pedy did it. its like bv works for him!  thats the culture that has to fundamentally change!  in that scenario, its bv's call to approach him, under no circumstances, should he feel that empowered to approach BV!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: is this exchange symbolic of the problem or a clue to the SOLUTION?

I see it as a part of the solution.  I'm a "clubhouse guy" and I believe that a good clubhouse will generate a few more wins over the run of a season than will a tumultous clubhouse.  I see this situation as Pedey saying, "Thanks for having my back".

What I don't understand is this:
    Earlier in the season when Pedey took BV to task saying, "That's not the way we do things here", many here said he was wrong for saying it.
    Now when Pedey tells Valentine that he did things RIGHT, Pedey is still wrong. 
    Which way do you want it?
    I know that in my personal life I want a manager who's approachable, more like Tito, than a guy who's not approachable (see: Belechek (sp?)), but I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way.  They've both had success.  It depends on the makeup of the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

PD is the unspoken capitano of the team, BV and PD need to be on the same page and at least appreciating each other.  

I think BV has done a great job.   Who wants to take over a team that had the biggest end of the year choke, club house drinking, a beloved manager that is let go, injuries to a bunch of high priced players ... on and on.

The fact he is keeping this team playing decent ball is amazing.  You cannot tell Beckett and Lester how to pitch ... I believe that is what the pitching coach is for.    PD has been hurt, and playing like and average ballplayer when he isn't hurt.  

PD needs to step up his game.   We get Ortiz back healthy, PD hitting like he can, we make a late run for the playoffs.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: is this exchange symbolic of the problem or a clue to the SOLUTION?:
    I see it as a part of the solution.  I'm a "clubhouse guy" and I believe that a good clubhouse will generate a few more wins over the run of a season than will a tumultous clubhouse.  I see this situation as Pedey saying, "Thanks for having my back".   What I don't understand is this: Earlier in the season when Pedey took BV to task saying, "That's not the way we do things here", many here said he was wrong for saying it. Now when Pedey tells Valentine that he did things RIGHT, Pedey is still wrong.  Which way do you want it? I know that in my personal life I want a manager who's approachable, more like Tito, than a guy who's not approachable (see: Belechek (sp?)), but I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way.  They've both had success.  It depends on the makeup of the team.
    Posted by S5

pedy was WRONG in my view both times. this is a subjective thing, many ways to skin a cat, different styles can potentially win but.... its clear that the bb, larussa type style is really the ONLY one that makes it over the long haul. both guys are far more players' coaches than they ever let on. pats guys always talk casually to bb. heck, tb regularly mentions that he overrules bb on his weekly weei talk show and bb has mentioned how tb or some lesser guy declined to run a certain play or came up with a better one that bb thought could work better and ran with it. having open lines of communication isnt the issue. the issue is with doing it OPENLY. u dont give your coach or manager a tongue-lashing via the media. u smile, take the conciliatory route then go down and see him after the media's gone.

MOST of the time there is no media around.. period! he should have voiced his displeasure with bv in private. ditto with his joy. AFTER the media left, he should have gone into bv's office and talked him up a bit and thanked him for having his back. i'm sure bv would have dropped it at some point during one of his many media sessions. dustin could have also dropped it as an incidental thing himself as well.. pats and CELTS have an elaborate process in rightfully separating reality from the media, the sawx should be as smart as well. the media loves drama, division and chaos. sells papers and makes a name for the reporters. noone gets attention for saying all's well and perfect at fenway. they only get it by finding something to slam and creating mountains out of mole hills. teams benefit low drama, coherence and PEACE.

the media and teams have different agendas, pats and celts control theirs, sox dont! francona frankly was far better at that, thats what this team is missing. he took care of bIz in-house but always knew what smokescreen to give the media and the best spin to present. does this team even have a PR coordination guy?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: is this exchange symbolic of the problem or a clue to the SOLUTION?:
    In Response to Re: is this exchange symbolic of the problem or a clue to the SOLUTION? : pedy was WRONG in my view both times. this is a subjective thing, many ways to skin a cat, different styles can potentially win but.... its clear that the bb, larussa type style is really the ONLY one that makes it over the long haul. both guys are far more players' coaches than they ever let on. pats guys always talk casually to bb. heck, tb regularly mentions that he overrules bb on his weekly weei talk show and bb has mentioned how tb or some lesser guy declined to run a certain play or came up with a better one that bb thought could work better and ran with it. having open lines of communication isnt the issue. the issue is with doing it OPENLY. u dont give your coach or manager a tongue-lashing via the media. u smile, take the conciliatory route then go down and see him after the media's gone. MOST of the time there is no media around.. period! he should have voiced his displeasure with bv in private. ditto with his joy. AFTER the media left, he should have gone into bv's office and talked him up a bit and thanked him for having his back. i'm sure bv would have dropped it at some point during one of his many media sessions. dustin could have also dropped it as an incidental thing himself as well.. pats and CELTS have an elaborate process in rightfully separating reality from the media, the sawx should be as smart as well. the media loves drama, division and chaos. sells papers and makes a name for the reporters. noone gets attention for saying all's well and perfect at fenway. they only get it by finding something to slam and creating mountains out of mole hills. teams benefit low drama, coherence and PEACE. the media and teams have different agendas, pats and celts control theirs, sox dont! francona frankly was far better at that, thats what this team is missing. he took care of bIz in-house but always knew what smokescreen to give the media and the best spin to present. does this team even have a PR coordination guy?
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

This team hasn't had a media coordination guy since Tito left.  I always was a Tito fan and while I don't agree with everything he did I think that on balance he was very good for the team. 
    The thing he did VERY WELL was have the player's back in media relations and that's something that's sorely missing on the 2012 version of the Sox. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I got what you were saying Communistcontrarian and completely agree. It's a cultural problem within this organization, and it needs to be changed. Poor BV, what a position to be in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

that checked swing call was the worst i have ever seen....shame on the homeplate ump for having to ask for help calling it...and of course the 1b ump was obviously asleep...pedey is frustrated....i dont like his comment to BV earlier in the year - but you have to give the guy a mulligan for that - he playes his heart out

Sections
Shortcuts