Is this going to be our bridge year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Is this going to be our bridge year?

Fellow poster's I think this may be our bridge year, we need to get younger and we need to wait and see if middlebrooks, Ilgleasis, Kalish, Reddick and Lanvarnway can develope and and be major contributors in the near future.  This team needs an infusion of youth, not a couple of over the hill FA.  I would like to see the organozation committ to this plan.  If we do spend some money let be on pitiching.  We still have a very good team that can win but we need to get younger.  I would let Big Papi go and use the ab's developing the younger guy player's. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Re: Is this going to be our bridge year?

Is there not another thread    entitle Bridge Year ?

After  2 successive 3rd place finishes  this past year closer to the Jays in 4th than the Yanks in 1st.   The owners better think long and hard  about a bridge to anywhere..

Ace ticket is not going to continue to buy up  hundreds of seats to every game to keep the sell out streak going.. on the hopes they will turn a huge profit on the purchase  instead of giving tickets away at face value in September  like the last  2 seasons.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I thought 2011 was the "bridge year" ...as in jumping off.

Here's smileybeni jumping off after hearing the news that Theo was leaving:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

From my perspective the Sox have had 2 bridge years in a row and it appears that we burned them both.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

We'll all know soon enough. This team is only a few pieces away from competing, but I'm definitely detecting some disturbing trends. Why didn't Cherington get Papi resigned 2 weeks ago-before it got contentious? Why not even an initial offer to Paps? Why are we interviewing a veritable clown car full of folks for manager? Seems like chaos is reigning at the moment, and a possible schism may be developing between Henry/Werner and Luchino. Let's hope things get straightened out soon, or it's gonna be a LOOOOONG season. Here's hoping everyone puts their bigboy pants on and gets back to trying to help this team WIN. Oh, and for the record: bridge years are for losers. They're not for teams with the 2nd highest revenues in baseball who just raised their ticket prices....again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Agreed!

In Response to Re: Is this going to be our bridge year?:
    From my perspective the Sox have had 2 bridge years in a row and it appears that we burned them both.
    Posted by traven

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

If it is another bridge year, it will have to start with the pitching and the rebuilding of the farm system going forward.

The new manager will need virtual career years out of Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz and hope that the low cost No. 4 & 5 starting pitchers Cherington picks up can make decent contributions.

It's a new era.   Time to let go of Wakefield, Varitek, and Ortiz.    Their time has come and gone.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

We'll all know soon enough. This team is only a few pieces away from competing, but I'm definitely detecting some disturbing trends. Why didn't Cherington get Papi resigned 2 weeks ago-before it got contentious? Why not even an initial offer to Paps? Why are we interviewing a veritable clown car full of folks for manager? Seems like chaos is reigning at the moment, and a possible schism may be developing between Henry/Werner and Luchino. Let's hope things get straightened out soon, or it's gonna be a LOOOOONG season. Here's hoping everyone puts their bigboy pants on and gets back to trying to help this team WIN. Oh, and for the record: bridge years are for losers. They're not for teams with the 2nd highest revenues in baseball who just raised their ticket prices....again.
    Posted by Teakus

Definitely agree with you that resigning Papelbon should have been the top priority for the Red Sox and should have happend already.  I am also surprised that Ortiz hasn't received an offer from the Red Sox.  Even though I don't believe that resigning Ortiz is as important as Papelbon, if they don't resign Ortiz they have to find someone else to replace him.    Just not sure who that will be or if they would be nearly as productive as Ortiz.  I also hope that I never hear the term bridge year again. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Cherrington is starting to remind me of Dan Duquette like we are interested in everything but we are doing nothing.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Hey guys...it's November 11th...the hot stove season hasn't even started yet and still their are posters criticizing Cherington for not doing anything...me thinks thats a little UNREASONABLE.

The other 29 teams are so much more active than the Red Sox right now...can someone please enlighten me on all the moves they've been making??

The GM meetings are next week...expect to see things picking up then, although your Red Sox might me focusing on a manager first.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Cherrington is starting to remind me of Dan Duquette like we are interested in everything but we are doing nothing.
    Posted by AL34

wow.  Quick to pounce.  Gotta love Red Sox Nation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Agree we need  to give Ben some slack.....but I really hope is public comments about Papelbon are being misread. I really think he needs to be resigned. Maybe now that the Phillies are backing away from the Madsen deal,which was ridiculous for a guy with with one year as a succesful closer, the price will be a little more palatable to sign Paps.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

NOT A BRIDGE YEAR.......  DEPENDS IF BEN & LUCCIANO's HAS THE DESIRE TO BE A CONTENDER AND MOVE SOME OF THAT DEAD/WOOD $$$$ OUT AND OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUNGER AND DEDICATED PLAYERS !!!   "TRANSFORM" THAT ROSTER !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Of course you are correct....in part. The fact is the Red Sox had an exclusive opportunity to wrap up Ortiz 2 weeks ago, and he signaled publicly he was amenable to getting a deal done at that time. By foolishly dawdling we have eliminated any possible hope of a "home team discount", and have angered unnecessarily a beloved Red Sox figure at a time of great upheaval in our club. Can we still get something done? Of course! But now things are going to be more difficult and likely costly. There was a chance for Cherington to seize the reigns of power and demonstrate he was a decisive leader backed by the owners. Instead he's either showing a disturbing tendency towards indecisiveness, or that he's not backed 100% by ALL of the owners and thus isn't in a strong position to act. I assume the latter. Either way, it's not encouraging and smacks of a ship floundering on the high seas. They should have had Papi AND a manager under contract before Thanksgiving, and now it doesn't look like they'll have either.  

Hey guys...it's November 11th...the hot stove season hasn't even started yet and still their are posters criticizing Cherington for not doing anything...me thinks thats a little UNREASONABLE. The other 29 teams are so much more active than the Red Sox right now...can someone please enlighten me on all the moves they've been making?? The GM meetings are next week...expect to see things picking up then, although your Red Sox might me focusing on a manager first.
    Posted by Soxdog67

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I think the Sox are going to be battling for third place in our division with Toronto.  The new mgr is probably going to be mediocre, Cherington doesn't seem to have much expertise, and given what we heard in the press at the end of last season, a lot of the players don't really give a damn. Just my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Of course! But now things are going to be more difficult and likely costly. There was a chance for Cherington to seize the reigns of power and demonstrate he was a decisive leader backed I feel totally opposite IMO ortiz needs to learn the market or should I say the lack of market 4 the best DH I'm thinking by waiting the same offer that might of   '' insulted him '' last week will please him next month love your Avatar
    Posted by pinstripezac

Realistically, the market for Ortiz is small in comparison to most players that post 300-30-100 type numbers...His age and that he's been primarily a DH limits him to the AL and the moneys he's likely to command will also serve to narrow his field of suitors...In the end he'll play somehwere in 2012 and I would place the Sox as the prohibitive favorites if indeed they see value in having him return...That said if a team like say the Orioles throws a ton of money at him I would think the Sox would simply pass and move on to the next best option...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

This appears like it might be the start of more bridge years than any of us would like to count.  Pitching is in short supply both in the majors and the minors.  Theo knew when to leave the sinking ship!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Our bullpen is awful, they do not need to let Papelbon go to the Phillies. They should have offered him 3 years at 45 million. I hate the Yankees but they went right over to CC and got it done. This team always has to guage the market and maybe loose the player, in this case Pappelbon who has been tested in the AL East. Not these want to be guys like Bell, and Madson who we do not know how they would be in the AL East. This team is not a pauper team but has very good financial resources.

In Response to Re: Is this going to be our bridge year? : that hardly seems fair AL34 (YET) both paps & papi need to learn the market B4 he can talk to them and it seems like not much is going to happen until the new labor agreement is done my bad if you were talking about mgrs
    Posted by pinstripezac

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts