Is this possible?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Is this possible?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Great point. It was much less.

Cool, well they should spend that much next year.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It would hvae been nice to trump the weak Atlanta trade package for J. Upton, and extend him. But that's hard to do when 150 million plus a year is being spent on old bums like Shane and departing FA's like Ellsbury.

Actually it's not hard at all, they still had plenty of money before they hit the cap plus the cap rises to 189 next year....thank u please try again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I am with Softlaw. I think the Red Sox should spend less money and have a better team.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It would hvae been nice to trump the weak Atlanta trade package for J. Upton, and extend him. But that's hard to do when 150 million plus a year is being spent on old bums like Shane and departing FA's like Ellsbury.

Justin Upton's career OPS is .837. Jacoby Ellsbury's is .791. Not seeing a huge difference there...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Huge difference in NL and AL ballparks. Huge!

how so?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think people like softy completely misunderstand the idea of a bridge year.  Bridge year yearns you aren't competing in their eyes.  Yeah...you could have spent your money wiser at SS, but 10 mil for one year is short duration and doesn't debilitate the payroll long term

Nice to see you admit that "you could spend your money wiser".

But I don't think you completely understand that spending about 300 million over the next two years is debilitating to the payroll, long term. 2 years is a long time in MLB. There are only a few players on each team that sign deals for longer than that.

And how do you spend it wiser? By paying 25 million a year each to Josh Hamilton and zack Grienke? Or by making one of your fantasy trades and giving extensions?  How do you not know they tried? Maybe the asking price was too high and they decided to wait until they find a more attractive offer.  Be it next offseason, or at the trade deadline.  This next statement will hold more true than ever in the new CBA era, developing talent has never been more attractive.  Almost always 7-10 year deals do fall apart,  I'd rather make a 1-3 year mistake than a 7-10.  You make the long term commitment on younger players whose arbi years you can buy out for a few more of their prime years (e.g. Cargo)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I think people like softy completely misunderstand the idea of a bridge year.  Bridge year yearns you aren't competing in their eyes.  Yeah...you could have spent your money wiser at SS, but 10 mil for one year is short duration and doesn't debilitate the payroll long term

Nice to see you admit that "you could spend your money wiser".

But I don't think you completely understand that spending about 300 million over the next two years is debilitating to the payroll, long term. 2 years is a long time in MLB. There are only a few players on each team that sign deals for longer than that.

And how do you spend it wiser? By paying 25 million a year each to Josh Hamilton and zack Grienke? Or by making one of your fantasy trades and giving extensions?  How do you not know they tried? Maybe the asking price was too high and they decided to wait until they find a more attractive offer.  Be it next offseason, or at the trade deadline.  This next statement will hold more true than ever in the new CBA era, developing talent has never been more attractive.  Almost always 7-10 year deals do fall apart,  I'd rather make a 1-3 year mistake than a 7-10.  You make the long term commitment on younger players whose arbi years you can buy out for a few more of their prime years (e.g. Cargo)

Softlaw actually wanted to replace Ellsbury's .791 career OPS with J Upton's career .837 career OPS in a much weaker division coupled with a huge extension and giving up Bogaerts. That's the way to build a winning ballclub. Not.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why can't softy add?

Lackey  $15.25

Dempster $13.25

Total: $28.5

If you go by luxury tax numbers, it's $16.5 + 13.25= 29.75.

If you average in Lackey's minimum wage season: $11.75 + 13.25= $25M

If you just count Lackey's last 3 years: $10.25 + 13.25= $23.5.

I guess one is close to $30M, but it's funny how you always state a number that is wrong, but that also exxagerate your point. You never are wrong to the "other side".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

30 million a year for Lackey and Dempster?

Say it aint so!

Not possible.

Not probable.

Not fanciful.

Not delusional.

Not conspiratorial.

Just plain factual.

As usual, the truth evades you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Speculation, on Lackey and still being on the roster, but he and Dumpster cost nearly 30 million for 2013. That's a fact.

Hmmm.   Trying on the "fact" card now, are we? 

Interesting.

Next thing you know it, the Bahamas will invade Georgia ...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Softlaw actually wanted to replace Ellsbury's .791 career OPS with J Upton's career .837 career OPS in a much weaker division coupled with a huge extension and giving up Bogaerts.

It's not about the division, though J. Upton was in a better division. It's about the DH and the ballparks in the AL East.

False that I was going to give up Bogaerts. I repeated, over and over, that the offers for J. Upton will be so weak that it's not likely any of the 3 B's would have to be traded. I was correct.

You started a thread where you challenged posters to step forward and say that they would not include Bogaerts in a trade to get Upton. Go ahead and deny it because that's what you do. It's a moot point anyway because the player himself has said he wouldn't have waived his no trade clause to come to Boston.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Softlaw actually wanted to replace Ellsbury's .791 career OPS with J Upton's career .837 career OPS in a much weaker division coupled with a huge extension and giving up Bogaerts.

It's not about the division, though J. Upton was in a better division. It's about the DH and the ballparks in the AL East.

False that I was going to give up Bogaerts. I repeated, over and over, that the offers for J. Upton will be so weak that it's not likely any of the 3 B's would have to be traded. I was correct.

You started a thread where you challenged posters to step forward and say that they would not include Bogaerts in a trade to get Upton. Go ahead and deny it because that's what you do. It's a moot point anyway because the player himself has said he wouldn't have waived his no trade clause to come to Boston.

you got it all wrong Carnie... he said he wouldn't waive his no-trade clause just so the Sox would be even more determined to trade for him and subsequently extend him for big bucks. What you call backwards logic softlaw calls a genius plan!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And just what the hell does a DH have to do with how an outfielder hits?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

like i said, what you call backwards logic. Softlaw calls a genius plan.

Sometimes, i wonder if he even knows how to spell the word baseball without the google machines help.. let alone know anything about the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

like i said, what you call backwards logic. Softlaw calls a genius plan.

Sometimes, i wonder if he even knows how to spell the word baseball without the google machines help.. let alone know anything about the game.

It's kind of fun to smack him down once in a while though...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I just wish he'd quit whining about Wake. He has been retired for 2 years now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I just wish he'd quit whining about Wake. He has been retired for 2 years now.

old habits die hard i guess.. and if he can't spend all his time bashing wakefield he might actually have to cheer for a sox player. THE HORROR!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/arizona-diamondbacks-justin-upton-trade-veto-power-071612

Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton can block trades to four teams, major league sources told FOXSports.com: the New York YankeesBoston Red SoxCleveland Indians and Chicago Cubs.

Sections
Shortcuts