Is this team too good for Bobby Valentine to fail?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Re: Is this team too good for Bobby Valentine to fail?

I am getting a headache with all the negative posts on Bobby.  Coach Bill did not have any success either before coming here.  I can remember Eddie Endleman saying day after day, anyone but belicheck.

This guy will be fine.  I would rather get thru April before we discuss long term plans.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Is this team too good for Bobby Valentine to fail?:
    A lot has been said about the fact that Valentine hasn't had any real success in this hemisphere as a manager. But this Red Sox team - even with its weaknesses - is clearly better than the rosters Valentine has had to work with previously. So there really shouldn't be any excuses (assuming the team stays reasonably healthy), especially with several key players stating a desire to right the ship after last season. If October rolls around and the Red Sox don't go deep into the playoffs, do you think Valentine should get another year at the helm? Will his personality - including comparisons to the loathesome Rex Ryan - be an asset or a detriment to the team's success in 2012?
    Posted by davetheknave

This team is going to score more than enough runs, so I'll state the obvious that it's going to depend on their pitching. Right now they seem to be about two arms short, which could be fixed with some of their "projects" coming through in ST, or making a trade deadline move. The team as currently constructed could win WS or miss playoffs and neither scenario would surprise me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Too good?

You are kidding , right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Franchises should only be rated on being able to win 93-95 games per season. How a team does in the playoffs is a crapshoot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

A lot has been said about the fact that Valentine hasn't had any real success in this hemisphere as a manager. But this Red Sox team - even with its weaknesses - is clearly better than the rosters Valentine has had to work with previously. So there really shouldn't be any excuses (assuming the team stays reasonably healthy), especially with several key players stating a desire to right the ship after last season. If October rolls around and the Red Sox don't go deep into the playoffs, do you think Valentine should get another year at the helm? Will his personality - including comparisons to the loathesome Rex Ryan - be an asset or a detriment to the team's success in 2012?
    Posted by davetheknave

I'm not a Valentine fan but the guy did take the Mets to the WS so he's no slouch.  It's not completely accurate to say of him; ".. hasn't had any real success in this hemisphere as a manager.".  

A really good manager is only good for a hand full of wins, .. maybe 5 a season, .. over the team's existing ability.  Tactically on the field Valentine is a good game manager, .. if you like aggressive managers.  On the other hand, a bad manger can cause problems aside from the actual in game strategy that can ruin a team.  In some cases it's a matter of the right guy at the right time and the question seems to be is Valentine the guy and is the time right for him.  In terms of handling the players and in game strategy I don't think Valentine will disappoint. In terms of dealing with the media and being all the bad things that people say about Valtine's ego and willingness to shoot his mouth off, .. it remains to be seen.  Because sometimes even when you are right it's better to keep quite.  

Keep in mind that going into the season, .. at least on paper, .. the RS rotation is rated no better than it was last year.  The pen is actually rated worse, .. there are big questions about RF and SS.  And, Crawford is likely starting the season on the DL with an injury that could nag him a good portion of the season if not all season.  So, while I would expect the RS to start better than they did last season, .. if only because it would be nearly impossible to start worse, .. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a couple of months to hit their stride.  They will be playing for a completely new manager with a style the opposite to which most of the are used to.  I think the Nation will need to give Valentine some breathing room for a while.  If they get as far as the playoffs then the season should be considered a success even if they dion't get deep into the playoffs.  If they don't get into the playoffs it might require further examination but I would still think that he deserves the benefit of doubt unless he does something completely over the top.

Should be an interesting season if nothing else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RhapsodyInBlue. Show RhapsodyInBlue's posts

In Response to Re: Is this team too good for Bobby Valentine to fail?:
    In Response to Is this team too good for Bobby Valentine to fail? : I'm not a Valentine fan but the guy did take the Mets to the WS so he's no slouch.  It's not completely accurate to say of him; ".. hasn't had any real success in this hemisphere as a manager.".   A really good manager is only good for a hand full of wins, .. maybe 5 a season, .. over the team's existing ability.  Tactically on the field Valentine is a good game manager, .. if you like aggressive managers.  On the other hand, a bad manger can cause problems aside from the actual in game strategy that can ruin a team.  In some cases it's a matter of the right guy at the right time and the question seems to be is Valentine the guy and is the time right for him.  In terms of handling the players and in game strategy I don't think Valentine will disappoint. In terms of dealing with the media and being all the bad things that people say about Valtine's ego and willingness to shoot his mouth off, .. it remains to be seen.  Because sometimes even when you are right it's better to keep quite.   Keep in mind that going into the season, .. at least on paper, .. the RS rotation is rated no better than it was last year.  The pen is actually rated worse, .. there are big questions about RF and SS.  And, Crawford is likely starting the season on the DL with an injury that could nag him a good portion of the season if not all season.  So, while I would expect the RS to start better than they did last season, .. if only because it would be nearly impossible to start worse, .. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a couple of months to hit their stride.  They will be playing for a completely new manager with a style the opposite to which most of the are used to.  I think the Nation will need to give Valentine some breathing room for a while.  If they get as far as the playoffs then the season should be considered a success even if they dion't get deep into the playoffs.  If they don't get into the playoffs it might require further examination but I would still think that he deserves the benefit of doubt unless he does something completely over the top. Should be an interesting season if nothing else.
    Posted by heobrien

Good post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I agree.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks. Show RedSox_Giants_Devils_Nicks's posts

dude. no success? the 2000 Mets were abysmal and they got into the WS 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

We have major issues at the following positions LF, RF, SS.
    Possible major issues at the following positions C, #4 and #5 starters.
    Help me understand where anyone sees the team is too good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Look we all know that even if you have an All star at every position nothing is guaranteed. So the question is kind of dumb....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by davetheknave

Maybe you should word this a bit different?

Bobby "unlike Francona" had winning seasons with mediocre teams before ever coming to Boston.  Maybe it was Tito that couldn't fail with the team handed to him by Grady Little who almost took us there himself?

Bobby will be fine, its our team that needs to prove they are at least as good as they appear on paper.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

No team is too good for failure.

However, the team certainly has the talent to make the post season if they can stay healthy.

Bobby should be fine as long as he can keep his ego and his mouth in check.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: Is this team too good for Bobby Valentine to fail?:
    No team is too good for failure. However, the team certainly has the talent to make the post season if they can stay healthy. Bobby should be fine as long as he can keep his ego and his mouth in check.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Agreed kimmi.  He has so many good qualities, but at times the Bobby V. Express seems to go off the rails as he did with his gratuitous Jeter flip play critique and his embrace of Varitek getting in Arod's face (saying "he beat up Alex") as if that's what was best about Varitek.  Whether he was being completely facetious or not, it did seem like an overcompensating attempt at proving to Boston fans that this Connecticut kid really HATES the Yankees.  A lot of media people and fans felt he looked a bit ridiculous in the entire affair.  That being said, he is a great baseball guy who is not going to tolerate any Fowlbeergate stuff and who is insisting that his players work hard.  As long as he stops blabbing about clubhouse and other player stuff to the media (such as his comments about some players not liking his tough ST regimen), he is likely to help keep a flawed Red Sox team very competitive for the entire year, and maybe secure a wild card.  But if he can't contain that mouth and ego, and the Bosox struggle as well, you might be seeing the Mutiny on the Bounty-style sequel to Fever Pitch in the making sooner than later....

Sections
Shortcuts