Is this the end of Bobby Valentine?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Is this the end of Bobby Valentine?

I think the bigger question is will Bobby V return on his own next year?

In the end this year, not unlike last year's collapse can be traced to a flawed roster with far too many key players on the DL. Valentine and Cherington both are charged with trying to navigate through this season with an eye on the 2013 season. If they're still playing .500 through July of next year and the ownership sees Valentine as part ofthe problem. He'll be working for ESPN or MLB by the time the trade deadline of 2013 arrives...

This years teams results can be traced to few key factors...

/>Underperformace of Lester, Beckett, Pedrioa, Youkilis & Gonzalez...
     (all of whom are having sub par seasons) Youk ulimately was traded for a bucket of balls...Make no mistake about it these guys represented the top of our rotation and the middle of our order...no team can win when your top two pitchers and three best bats are all under performing to career norms...

/>Injuries to key players (Ells, Pedrioa, Ortiz, Crawford, Jenk's, Matsusaka, Lackey & Bailey).

/>Cause and effect of the manpower and  multiple millions of dollar tied up in players on the DL. Moneys entering the season, that couldn't be used to bolster the current roster.

Not sure that Valentine is responsible for any of the above...however he will be charged with helping to find the solution.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

They will give not be able to give up Lackey or Carl Crawford and are stuck with them. I think Beckett will be gone next year and I do not think this is Valentine's fault but a carry over from Francona and Epstein. These guys I feel have been spoiled. Bobby Valentine is the boss and that is the way it goes, if any of them underperformed because of him that is a disgrace and they should be disciplined. I think Bobby did a good job with this team with the injuries it incurred, with the bullpen, and with a Young GM who I am not sure why being a Theo guy was retained and questionnsome of his deals as well inmhelping this team this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

After comments like the one he made last night he should be. Not sure what game he was watching, but here is what he said of Beckett:

“Josh gave us a zero in the first inning, as promised, and pitched a good game,’’ said manager Bobby Valentine. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: Is this the end of Bobby Valentine?:
    [QUOTE]Valentine , is a very good manager, he has to play the players he has. Let's just look at those players. Elsbury , great player missed 75 games due to injury. Crawford missed 80 games due to injury , on top of that he stinks. Pedroia, way off his normal year, and injured and lost 20 games . Ortiz , the best hitter on the team , out now with an injured foot, loss 20 games. Gonzo , not the power hitter they thought they were signing, good hitter but hardly worth 20+ million per year. Youkilus hurt most of the season, now traded for nothing. Beckett and Lester , rocket science to see how they are doing. They signed a closer  Bailey , with a history of trips to the DL, didn't they get rid of Lowrie for the same reason. On top of that they give up Reddick for a DL primadonna. None of these moves had anything to do with Bobby Valentine. Get a grip, Valentine is not the problem.
    Posted by aussiewill2[/QUOTE]

You are correct.. Imagine if Francona was still manager and had to deal with the under performing stars. This team could easily be 10-12 games below .500.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It could be.  I agree with everyone who defends him because I too think he has done a pretty good job under the circumstances.  But he himself has said he expects to be evaluated on results, which means wins and losses.  You can't fire the players. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

CIRCA 1966........  Tom Yawkey/ John Henry need to get out of the way and let Bobby V. be Dick williams and shake up the FAT-CAT$-BARRRRR$TADS  !!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

He isn't going to get canned during the year.

I would be very surprised if he comes back, and very surprised if he manages again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

snake, i think that is more accurate than anything else. It's kind of why I've joked about his tenure being a short one here. I really do see him as a guy who, like many in life, see this giant rainbow or this golden nugget that looks very enticing (Sox manager) and certainly puts him in a national spotlight (like when he was the Toast of Japan)...but then when the reality sinks in that the players might be prima donnas, or the assistant coaches are on different pages, or the veterans as a group just won't perform for you---well then you look back and you think, maybe this wasn't such a good idea to manage the Sox....I think this is his last MLB job period. He will go back to the TV booth, he always has that option, but this is his end game as a manager. How long it lasts...up to the players at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]snake, i think that is more accurate than anything else. It's kind of why I've joked about his tenure being a short one here. I really do see him as a guy who, like many in life, see this giant rainbow or this golden nugget that looks very enticing (Sox manager) and certainly puts him in a national spotlight (like when he was the Toast of Japan)...but then when the reality sinks in that the players might be prima donnas, or the assistant coaches are on different pages, or the veterans as a group just won't perform for you---well then you look back and you think, maybe this wasn't such a good idea to manage the Sox....I think this is his last MLB job period. He will go back to the TV booth, he always has that option, but this is his end game as a manager. How long it lasts...up to the players at this point.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

People almost always go one way or the other on this board.  Either Bobby V is a complete idiot, or Bobby V is untouchable.  I said one negative comment about Bobby V on a thread the other day and had to deal with a relatively unhinged person freaking out about it for hours.

The reality will be that Bobby V will manage out the season and quietly go away.

Whether he owns part of the blame or not the team is not performing.  He won't be fired but he wont be back.

Look for a "mutual decision".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]After comments like the one he made last night he should be. Not sure what game he was watching, but here is what he said of Beckett: “Josh gave us a zero in the first inning, as promised, and pitched a good game,’’ said manager Bobby Valentine. 
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Other than than the ill timed wild pitch, that allowed the go ahead run, Beckett did pitch a good game, against one of the most talented offences in MLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the end of Bobby Valentine? : Other than than ill timed wild pitch, that allowed the go ahead run, Beckett did pitch a good game, against one of the most talented offences in MLB.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Yes he did, and Valentine was correct in that evaluation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Wait...Tito had to deal with just about as many injuries last season, and he had them 20 games over .500. 

Valentine is one and done in Boston, and my guess is he'll be the happiest man in town when he's gone.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Is it me, or does Bobby V seem detached. I'm not saying he isn't trying to win, but excepts defeat too easily. The actions of someone who knows he wont be around longterm.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I thought Beckett got surprisingly good results--given previous starts--last night, but I also thought he was lucky as heck only giving up 4 runs--one of which from Ross's weak catch/fumble of a fly to right and another from Beckett's wild pitch-- to the Rangers.  He threw 80% or more 91 mph fastballs and didn't spot them that well.  Some curves, good.  But not many changeups and certainly not many in the right spot. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

Its the players, not Valentine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Its the players, not Valentine.
    Posted by Harpua710[/QUOTE]

It is the players, but any manger plays a role in it, to a certain extent.  It's no different than any other cooperation, you're employed by a company but work directly for the manager. I've worked for great company's and terrible managers. If you don't like, respect and get along with them,  it can make or break any job

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]     Is it me, or does Bobby V seem detached. I'm not saying he isn't trying to win, but excepts defeat too easily. The actions of someone who knows he wont be around longterm.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

I think he is tired. Doesn't he always look like he needs sleep?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this group of ingrates ran their beloved manager tito off last yr, why not go 2/2?

better yet, just let beckett, pedroia, and lackey decide who should be manager next year/let them do the choosing and interviewing)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Bobby V is doing a great job with a crap team full of injuries.  Just think if he had to deal with Lackey too.  The players are not performing but if Beckett wasn't here and Lester got his head out of his a** they could be a lot better.  I hope Bobby is back next year with a real team.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pike, no confusion, tito's beloved players used and abused his good will....im no fan of his managing but he was a good guy and deserved better from the players he had supported/protected....and yea, that means he messed up the bed when Animal House was going on in the clubhouse during an epic slide....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

n Response to Re: Is this the end of Bobby Valentine?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the end of Bobby Valentine? : I think he is tired. Doesn't he always look like he needs sleep?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]
       This is just an observation, but when he goes out to argue a call. He wanders over to the umpire, says a few words, then nods his head, as umpire gives explanation . He then quietly goes back to dug-out. It's like he is only going through the motions, there is no fire. Was this his MO in other managerial stops?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

attic, he's tired. BV is Tired of the marathon.

Sections
Shortcuts