Is time to give Ellsbury a 4 year deal for 60M?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Is time to give Ellsbury a 4 year deal for 60M?

Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, and Shane in RF. Best defensive outfield in baseball for the next 2 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Is time to give Ellsbury a 4 year deal for 60M?

Good luck with that.  Boras will be looking for 100 million and will probably get it or close to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Good luck with that.  Boras will be looking for 100 million and will probably get it or close to it.

Got that right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Got that right.

6 year  90M. Make it happen!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He might take $110M/6.

I wouldn't pay that.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I might loosen the purse strings and go with this deal.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

BorA$$ clients rarely extend, especially when their stock is low.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Had the Red Sox not been changing GMs  and had a little faith in Ells we might have signed him for that before the season started.

A mistake we will deeply regret.   Bradley despite all the rave on this on here is no where near Ells and Vic is a good fielder but has won few games for us with his bat .

Bradley   Bradley  Bradley  Bradley is ready and better than Ells remember those threads.

A lot of so called baseball experts on this forum were dead wrong not that im suprised.

There were infomal talks.  Boras was ALWAYS making sure that Ells went to FA.  There is NO WAY IN HELL he was going to accept anything near 4 yr 60M (15M/yr.)  NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!  So the notion that the Red Sox, or BC blew a chance at making this deal is simply fantasy! 

What will it take now?

Moon is spot on. 

6yr @ about 18M = $108M

Perhaps even a 7yr x 18M

Now......

Had Ells not turned it on shortly before the break, we might have picked him up on the cheap closer to 15 - 16M / year x 4yr deal, BUT we would have had to wait til the end of the season anyway......   Boras was going to FA NO MATTER WHAT!

Let's drop this silly uninformed notion that Ells / Boras would have signed a low ball offer earlier.  It's just nonsense!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I doubt he will get close to that. After watching the contracts of Beckett, Pujols, Slappy, Crawford, Gonzalez and the like go sour not many GMs are going to offer that kind of money any more.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Which teams have the money to sign him and need a CF? 

Given that Ellsbury is a proven player in Boston I hate to see this guy go. 

I'd feel better about this if Bradley had impressed me more. 

I bet other GMs love to sign guys that have shown they can play in Boston. It's like a promise a guy is iron plated. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

I bet other GMs love to sign guys that have shown they can play in Boston. It's like a promise a guy is iron plated. 

Ellsbury has been, for whatever reason, a part time player here. Last figures I heard were that he missed 44% of the games he could have played in (that was a while ago; I am sure its less now). Now some of that time is not his fault, but my guess is that some of it is simply refusing to play if he is not 100% healthy. When such a player's contract comes up, you have to figure that in. I will miss him, but I would never offer him more than four years at about $14M each.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox have zero chance or bringing back Ellsbury next year. Enjoy this year, win the WS, and say bye-bye

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Had the Red Sox not been changing GMs  and had a little faith in Ells we might have signed him for that before the season started.

A mistake we will deeply regret.   Bradley despite all the rave on this on here is no where near Ells and Vic is a good fielder but has won few games for us with his bat .

Bradley   Bradley  Bradley  Bradley is ready and better than Ells remember those threads.

A lot of so called baseball experts on this forum were dead wrong not that im suprised.

There were infomal talks.  Boras was ALWAYS making sure that Ells went to FA.  There is NO WAY IN HELL he was going to accept anything near 4 yr 60M (15M/yr.)  NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!  So the notion that the Red Sox, or BC blew a chance at making this deal is simply fantasy! 

What will it take now?

Moon is spot on. 

6yr @ about 18M = $108M

Perhaps even a 7yr x 18M

Now......

Had Ells not turned it on shortly before the break, we might have picked him up on the cheap closer to 15 - 16M / year x 4yr deal, BUT we would have had to wait til the end of the season anyway......   Boras was going to FA NO MATTER WHAT!

Let's drop this silly uninformed notion that Ells / Boras would have signed a low ball offer earlier.  It's just nonsense!

Perhaps Ells perfered to stay in Boston its his decission as much as Boras. We simple don't know now do we?

No!  We do know.  I'm sorry to be so blunt, but we do know.  Ells would definitely take a BIG $$$  offer from us, but he / Boras, & make no mistake they are inextricably linked, WERE ALWAYS going to test the market.  The only way he might have been tempted with a 4 yr. 60M contract is if he stayed cold.  I still think he would have taken his chances.

NOW???   Not even close!   Judging from the grossly inflated OF market, the lowest he might consider is $17 x 5 = 85Million

With his CLEAR +300 avg, .850+OPS, power potential, SPEED, LO hitter in a big market, CFing, it's going to take $17M / 5yr plus to sign this guy.  Anything less is a fantasy.

p.s.  We live pretty close to Oregon State, and this kid is a west coast kid all the way.  His dream is to end up somewhere out here.  Boston holds ZERO sway over him sentimentally.  ZERO!  

Sorry I'm so emphatic, but it's simply facts.  No offense intended!!!!   :)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

The Sox have zero chance or bringing back Ellsbury next year. Enjoy this year, win the WS, and say bye-bye

The real question should be, "Will Ellsbury come to Fenway on opening day to receive his ring while playing for another team?"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The Cubs have deep problems. They are not even close to being a couple of pieces away. In no way can I see them sinking more money into Ellsbury than the Sox would be willing to offer. 

The Yanks are the most likely. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Make him a QO. Boras will find a good home for Ells. If Ells is smart he won't go to NY and have to return to Fenway 9-10 times per season. NY would otherwise be a nice fit for him with the short RF porch.

The Dodgers, Angels have both proven they have money to spend. Seattle, closer to home for Ells. The Cubs and White Sox will have money as will Texas.  Washington may be a darkhorse along with  Arizona.

Boras will have to work a little harder if BenC makes a QO. Perhaps Bourn's experience last year may be similar to what Ells will face. If he didn't get the QO no question Boras could get him $18-20 for 5 or 6 years but for a team to think about giving up the pick--that sometimes is a deal changer.

With those fast guys there's always the thought about hamstrings and once they lose their legs then what do you have left. A good CF'der is like a good point guard---you always have to be on the lookout for the next one. We have a next one so if Ells departs, which he will, I am very comfortable with JBJ.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have asked this question many, many times with no replies. Dodgers looking to unload one of their 4 OF's under big contracts. Yankees love Gardner, and most likely bring back Grandy on a 1 year deal. They need to sign Cano and need pitching. I don't see them also giving Ells 100m. Cubs  are still a few years away and Ells is too old for their plans. Angels already paying Hamilton, Pujols huge money, and will need to sign Trout. 

I understand the theory "it only takes 1 team", and I also understand many teams would love to have Ells, but at $100m plus? 

I truly believe the RS want him back, and he would love to come back. But the RS will hold firm on THEIR $$$ number, and not fold. they have JBJ in their back pocket. I am thinking Sox go 4/$60 with a 5 th year team option. Who goes beyond $75m for a 30 year old player on the wrong side of 30? BJ Up taught teams a huge lesson. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Given that Boras is his agent and as rule prefers his clients to test the market. It's a forgone conclusion that Ellsbury will play out the season, become a free agent and then field offers from teams that are interested in acquiring his services. Too include the Red Sox among others yet to be determined. 

Fact is that if he finishes the season healthy, they'll be a long line of suitors willing to offer him deals ranging from 4 to 6 years in the 15M to 18M range. His past injury history will play a role in giving teams pause, but won't deter them from making him a competitive market value offer. Due to the fact that all of his woes have been related to hustle plays and none of them are of the chronic variety. 

Cherington in acquiring Victorino with young Bradley on the cusp of making the jump has already put in place a two year transition plan. That said, he also has stated publicly that he'd love to sign Ellsbury and have him finish his career in a Red Sox uniform. If he does sign him, then Bradley or Victorio become a chip to address other needs. If he doesn't sign Ells, then he'll take the pick and use the funds saved on bolstering the roster and those money can then be spent on a bat or another arm. 

Teams I see as being in the mix for Ells are the Rangers, White Sox, Yankees (if for no other reason than to drive up the price), Mariners, Blue Jays, Mets, Cubs, Brewers, Giants, Nationals and Phillies. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I have asked this question many, many times with no replies. Dodgers looking to unload one of their 4 OF's under big contracts. Yankees love Gardner, and most likely bring back Grandy on a 1 year deal. They need to sign Cano and need pitching. I don't see them also giving Ells 100m. Cubs  are still a few years away and Ells is too old for their plans. Angels already paying Hamilton, Pujols huge money, and will need to sign Trout. 

I understand the theory "it only takes 1 team", and I also understand many teams would love to have Ells, but at $100m plus? 

I truly believe the RS want him back, and he would love to come back. But the RS will hold firm on THEIR $$$ number, and not fold. they have JBJ in their back pocket. I am thinking Sox go 4/$60 with a 5 th year team option. Who goes beyond $75m for a 30 year old player on the wrong side of 30? BJ Up taught teams a huge lesson. 

Kcarp---I agree in principal---teams have short mrmories. The Braves could trade BJ if they wanted Ells. The Angels with an OF of Trout, Ells and Hamilton would be set for the next 5-6 years.

The Dodgers could eat some of Ethier or Crawford and have Ells, Kemp and one of the forementioned CC or Ethier as the 3 rd OF'der. Yankees the same Grande, Ells and Gardner would be awesome--speed to burn.

All teams can rationalize a FA purchase. I keep coming back to base stealers --when the legs go???

I like the Sox chances with XBo in LF, JBJ in CF and ShaVic in RF for 2014.

Sections
Shortcuts