Is time to give Ellsbury a 4 year deal for 60M?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Re: Is time to give Ellsbury a 4 year deal for 60M?

4 years 72 million feels about right for him. Doubte he gets more from anyone unless its an over pay. I think he winds up back here. BC seems to have a better approach with home grown players. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to patrickford's comment:

[QUOTE]

Which teams have the money to sign him and need a CF? 

Given that Ellsbury is a proven player in Boston I hate to see this guy go. 

I'd feel better about this if Bradley had impressed me more. 

I bet other GMs love to sign guys that have shown they can play in Boston. It's like a promise a guy is iron plated. 

I have asked this question many, many times with no replies. Dodgers looking to unload one of their 4 OF's under big contracts. Yankees love Gardner, and most likely bring back Grandy on a 1 year deal. They need to sign Cano and need pitching. I don't see them also giving Ells 100m. Cubs  are still a few years away and Ells is too old for their plans. Angels already paying Hamilton, Pujols huge money, and will need to sign Trout. 

I understand the theory "it only takes 1 team", and I also understand many teams would love to have Ells, but at $100m plus? 

I truly believe the RS want him back, and he would love to come back. But the RS will hold firm on THEIR $$$ number, and not fold. they have JBJ in their back pocket. I am thinking Sox go 4/$60 with a 5 th year team option. Who goes beyond $75m for a 30 year old player on the wrong side of 30? BJ Up taught teams a huge lesson. 

[/QUOTE]

Kcarp---I agree in principal---teams have short mrmories. The Braves could trade BJ if they wanted Ells. The Angels with an OF of Trout, Ells and Hamilton would be set for the next 5-6 years.

The Dodgers could eat some of Ethier or Crawford and have Ells, Kemp and one of the forementioned CC or Ethier as the 3 rd OF'der. Yankees the same Grande, Ells and Gardner would be awesome--speed to burn.

All teams can rationalize a FA purchase. I keep coming back to base stealers --when the legs go???

I like the Sox chances with XBo in LF, JBJ in CF and ShaVic in RF for 2014.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that either of the teams in LA make a big play for Ellbury. Remember the Dodgers also have Puig too and trading both Eithier and Crawford in the same offseason to make room for Ell's would be a stretch. Because in the end the Dodgers will have to eat money on both deals. Which then would inflate the cost of aquiring Ells. The other dynamic at play is that both Kemp & Trout prefer playing CF, of the two I could see the Angels making a play for Ells. Neither have a real need though. 

I can see the Yanks making a play for Ells. Then moving Granderson to right, with Ells in center and Gardener in left. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Good point Bean I forgot Puig. I know how does one forget Puig???????

I think Ells would really make the Angels a winner.

No doubt the Yankees and Ells are a match.

Seattle may part with the money and with that young pitching staff and some good young hitters he would be a great addition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, and Shane in RF. Best defensive outfield in baseball for the next 2 years.

I think a nice outfield combo would be XBo, JBJ and ShaVic-L to R. Plenty of speed and excellent arms.

Inf:   Cecchini, Drew, Pedroia and Middlebrooks/Carp.

C--Salty/ Vazquez

DH Ortiz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Knocked in the 4th and 5th runs last night. Pretty good for Lead-off man. Sox will be making a big mistake if they let him walk. They have the money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Knocked in the 4th and 5th runs last night. Pretty good for Lead-off man. Sox will be making a big mistake if they let him walk. They have the money.

I don't think money is the issue...it's Boras and his propensity to play hard ball with his clients clubs in negotiating extensions and or resigning when they become free agents...the Sox have tried on numerous occasion in the past to get Boras to sit and talk extension for Ells to no avail. I think that Cherington also sees the value in retaining Ells, it'll come down to Ellsbury's negotiating in good faith and the Sox not trying to low ball him (If they truly want him back). Not sure I agree that it would be a big mistake to let him walk, given that we have Victorino and young Bradley at the ready to fill the void...much depends on the direction they go with the money's not spent...think big bat in left?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Victorino will be 33 in November, Bradley has potential, but not MLB proven ready. Prior to last night, which Bradley did good, he was in a mini slump after All-Star break. Thats in Pawtucket.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good luck with that.  Boras will be looking for 100 million and will probably get it or close to it.

I doubt he will get close to that. After watching the contracts of Beckett, Pujols, Slappy, Crawford, Gonzalez and the like go sour not many GMs are going to offer that kind of money any more.

[/QUOTE]

We may not see another A-Rod or Pujols type deal, but come on Pumps.  Beckett is a terrible example.  He 'only' got 80 million.  Greinke got 150 million.

BJ Upton got 75 million after a season in which his OBP was .298.

Ellsbury gets 100 million, I'm going on record with that prediction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to scauma09's comment:

4 years 72 million feels about right for him. Doubte he gets more from anyone unless its an over pay. I think he winds up back here. BC seems to have a better approach with home grown players. 

'Unless it's an overpay'?  What kind of qualifier is that? Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Teams that I can see giving a look-see, Reds, Cards, Yanks, Rangers, Phillies, Arizona, Giants,Theo Drafted him can see the Cubs, long shot Mariners.
    He's going to get some good offers, Lead-off men with his potential is hard to find.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Two days ago, Choo was the rage and the necessary FA to compete.   Today it is Ellsbury.

Who will it be tomorrow? Tune in and find out...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Victorino will be 33 in November, Bradley has potential, but not MLB proven ready. Prior to last night, which Bradley did good, he was in a mini slump after All-Star break. Thats in Pawtucket.

Which means he'll be 34 at the beginning of 2014 and 35 in the last year of his deal. The same dynamic will exist at the end of Ellsbury's new deal if we assume he gets a minimum of 5 years...While I get that Bradley is still just a prospect, as such we can't and shouldn't assume he'll be the starting CF next year or in 2015. The kid does have the potential to be, it's up to him to continue to develop and make himself the obvious choice. My guess is that today if you were to ask Cherington his first priotity is to do his diligence on Ellsbury first and if he can't sign him for reasos out of his control. Then he already has Victorino to fill the void in center for 2014 & 2015 which buys him two years to see exactly what he has in Bradley. In the interim sans Ellsbury, the can and likely would use the funds to address RF and or add a big bat to play 1st.

In the last few years with the trade made with Dodgers freeing up ton of cash, along with expiring contracts of Lester, Lackey coming up soon. Cherington and the Sox owners can and do have the resourses and roster flexibility to remake this club without having to sacrifice much. Add to that the potential of our top prospects and the depth of our system. In my mind there's no one not named Pedrioa that can't be replaced on the current roster. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Its hard to find a good Lead-off hitter, that plays Centerfield. With Ellsbury dynamic. You have one now, that you know, to me no-brainer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, and Shane in RF. Best defensive outfield in baseball for the next 2 years.

No, it's time to give Ellsbury a 7-year deal at $150 mil. Everybody wake up; this guy is worth every bit (and, maybe more) than Cabrera. This isn't a guy who just fell off the train from Pawtucket. This is a player who is in peak condition, has hit as many as 32 HR's, stolen 70 bases and saves the pitching staff about 5 runs a week. Give him what he's worth, or the Yankees will!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

All I know Borass got a pool of drool on the floor, Ells cranks out 5-6 HRS, steals 60 bases, Scores 100 runs, gets close to 70 rbi's. You'll need a mop to clean-up drool.

Not even adding .300 hitter, he has been that in EVERY stage of his career. A ball to the Majors.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

4 @ 15 per, yes. higher or longer than that, nope.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Two factors justify almost any opinion at either extreme.  Factor 1 is Ellsbury's 2011 season for which he should have gotten the AL MVP award with those 32 dingers, 90 rbi's, OPS .920, lead the AL in SB's, etc, to say nothing of being the Sox only reliable hitter in September.  Right now Ellsbury looks a lot like the 2011 model and just might be worth $20M/year for several years.

Factor 2, however, is Bradley, whose OPS at Pawtucket right now is around .850 and who is a better overall centerfielder than Ellsbury.  Very doubtful Bradley ever comes close to Ellsbury's offensive production, but he is a whole lot cheaper now and in the foreseeable future.  Bradley makes it possible to resist Boras's insistence his man is a franchise player and worth major dollars. 

Another factor which might affect trying to keep Ellsbury is the need for a really good righty bat.  If the Sox think Bogaerts and Middlebrooks can meet that need, I think they just might make a very good qualifying offer, but that is a pretty big if. 

Another factor--my opinion only--is I don't think the Sox put a lot of value on defense, which is Bradley's forte.  Thus the departure of Iglesias, which makes it easier to keep the better hitting Drew and the future better hitting Bogaerts.  And bringing up the better hitting Middlebrooks (we hope). 

I have believed all along Ellsbury was going to be too expensive to keep, especially with Bradley in the wings.  But now I'm not so sure. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

Which means he'll be 34 at the beginning of 2014 and 35 in the last year of his deal. The same dynamic will exist at the end of Ellsbury's new deal if we assume he gets a minimum of 5 years...While I get that Bradley is still just a prospect, as such we can't and shouldn't assume he'll be the starting CF next year or in 2015. The kid does have the potential to be, it's up to him to continue to develop and make himself the obvious choice. My guess is that today if you were to ask Cherington his first priotity is to do his diligence on Ellsbury first and if he can't sign him for reasos out of his control. Then he already has Victorino to fill the void in center for 2014 & 2015 which buys him two years to see exactly what he has in Bradley. In the interim sans Ellsbury, the can and likely would use the funds to address RF and or add a big bat to play 1st.

In the last few years with the trade made with Dodgers freeing up ton of cash, along with expiring contracts of Lester, Lackey coming up soon. Cherington and the Sox owners can and do have the resourses and roster flexibility to remake this club without having to sacrifice much. Add to that the potential of our top prospects and the depth of our system. In my mind there's no one not named Pedrioa that can't be replaced on the current roster. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Pedroia was the player to resign long term and he did that. There's no way Ellsbury is worth more than Pedroia period. Offer Ells a Pedroia-ish contract, only shorter because of injury concerns. If Ells takes it, great. If not, let the chips fall where they may. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Both injuries were freak accidents playing hard on the field.

I have watched the Beltre collision play dozens of times. Ellsbury never moved his lips: he never called off Beltre. I saw it again this year with the near collision with Pedey just a short time ago.

The collision was preventable, and only one guy was to blame: Ellsbury.

Not Beltre. Not Tito. Not Theo. Not chance.

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

All I know Borass got a pool of drool on the floor, Ells cranks out 5-6 HRS, steals 60 bases, Scores 100 runs, gets close to 70 rbi's. You'll need a mop to clean-up drool.

Not even adding .300 hitter, he has been that in EVERY stage of his career. A ball to the Majors.

I am a huge fan of retaining Ellsbury. I'm fairly certain that Cherington and the Sox owners feel the same way. It takes two to tango...if you look at the current roster dynamics and factor in our top prospects in the system. Retaining Ellsbury makes a ton of sense and given how well Victorino has played in RF. All the Sox truly need to do if they retain Ellsbury is acquire a legit middle of the order bat play to plat 1st to replace Napoli and resign Drew. I'd take my chances with a lineup that includes Ells, Victorino, Pedrioa, Ortiz, big bat, Nava, Gomes, Middlebrooks, Salty and Drew with Bradley and Bogharts knocking on the door. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I have watched the Beltre collision play dozens of times. Ellsbury never moved his lips: he never called off Beltre. I saw it again this year with the near collision with Pedey just a short time ago.

Sox4ever

What's your point moon?

Fact of the matter is that Ells was playing out of position in left and Beltre went a long ways to make a play on the ball...a collision ensued and the little guy lost. no one is to blame...the outfielder coming in has priority over the infielder, the centerfielder on balls hit in the gap. Ellsbury who has played in centerfield since HS knows that it's his responsibility to call out "ball" on anything he an get to.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

YES YES CAPITAL YES!... But he might be in hands of Scott...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Here's what Beltre said. 
    That ball was right in the middle, you have to dive and I had to really push for it. It’s a tough decision to call it or not call it

[/QUOTE]

Hmm devils in the details. Every coach I played for always said if you call "ball" you'd better make the play...if a ball that is hit into a void and both players collide into one another an neither calls ball it means neither of them were confident that they could catch it. How many times during the season do we see collision between infieldes going out and outfielders coming in a dozen or so and almost always both guys get up and live to fight another day. On occasion one of them gets hurt...them's the breaks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Had the Red Sox not been changing GMs  and had a little faith in Ells we might have signed him for that before the season started.

A mistake we will deeply regret.   Bradley despite all the rave on this on here is no where near Ells and Vic is a good fielder but has won few games for us with his bat .

Bradley   Bradley  Bradley  Bradley is ready and better than Ells remember those threads.

A lot of so called baseball experts on this forum were dead wrong not that im suprised.

He wasnt going to sign before the year. Theres no way. The Sox even approached Boras about things and he wouldnt discuss money.

Sections
Shortcuts