Is time to give Ellsbury a 4 year deal for 60M?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Is time to give Ellsbury a 4 year deal for 60M?

Hope Mef and S5 are right, but I believe someone is going to make that ridiculous offer for Ells and he'll be gone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to S5's comment:

If we've learned anything this year it should be how valuable it is to have a CF's speed and arm in RF in Fenway.  That's why personally I'm fond of an OF of "Why" in LF (You A&C fans think about it.  It'll come to you.), Ellsbury in CF and JBJ in RF. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

that works for me and JBJ can play well any place in the outfield.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Hope Mef and S5 are right, but I believe someone is going to make that ridiculous offer for Ells and he'll be gone.

mef just likes to take the opposite position of whatever myself of a few posters are saying.  His comment on how will the Yankees make it happen is proof.  If the yankees want jacoby they will write the check, if only just to upset the sox front office and sox fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, and Shane in RF. Best defensive outfield in baseball for the next 2 years.

[/QUOte]

I like Jacoby but if we lose him that is ok.  JBJ is ready to go and plays center better and has a better arm.

Ellsbury playing for another team and JBJ manning CF is a downgrade. Ells is a top 3 defensive CF'er (i would say he's #1), the best leadoff man in the game. the best base stealer in the game and offensively, is one of the best CF'ers in the game. JBJ is not going to make up for those losses with a better arm and a marginal "upgrade" defensively.... quit dreaming.

At the end of the day, Ells is a superstar OF'er and JBJ is a prospect. It's a net loss to replace the former with the latter. resign ells, stick JBJ in a corner slot or trade him (i would prefer the trade and go after a RH'ed power hitting corner player)

Well, the sox are happy with JBJ and you better get used to the idea of Jacoby in pinstripes. I did not say that JBJ is a perfect replacement, just a good one.  Down in Pawtucket the only balls getting over JBJ are the homers.  He is just as fast if not faster on the bases than Jacoby.  Either way works for me but i don't see the sox paying what Borris will want.

If JBJ does take over it will be nice to finally have a center fielder with a good arm.

tell me how the yankees are going to Sign Ells when their #1 priority going into 2014 is to get under the luxury tax and their #2 priority is to sign Cano to a mega deal ~150M IMO. they will probably look to take Granderson over Ells as he will come cheaper and is a better fit for their team and home park.

you are on drugs if you think JBJ is even in the same speed stratosphere as Ellsbury. JBJ has some wheels, but he is not jacoby fast. Jacoby is ricky henderson fast.... JBJ is simply fast.

Henry really likes jacoby. If he wants to open the pocketbook for him then no matter what anyone else offers he will return. Also the tax threshold probably isn't a deal breaker to the sox as we have a dump truck full of cash coming off the books in 2 years and an influx of young talent slated to come up as cost. Frankly, money isn't a very big issue for the sox going forward. If you are going to spend big on a player then spend big on one of your OWN players. battle tested in Boston and able to handle the "pressure".

you're the guy who accused me of posting under multiple names.  I know you have an ax to grind with me but no problem. All I can say is I have seen JBJ play at McCoy a bunch of times this year and he very fast on the bases.  He causes problems with pitchers when in the stretch as well as any player.

Again, I did not say he was the perfect replacement and I will be happy with Jacoby getting his money.  But if Jacoby does go, it is with great comfort to many sox fans to know JBJ is ready to move up to fenway.

you must have me confused with someone else. i know you are a papi basher and slight whiner but i've never said you post under multiple accounts. the only person i accuse of that is pike and we all know the validity of that statement.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Often times when a player, most especially a position player, gets to FA you get what you pay for.  If you want a player who's one of the best leadoff hitters in the game AND is one of the best CF's in the game you'd better plan on opening your pocketbook. 

Or you can go cheap, with an unproven prospect who will (allegedly) be a slight upgrade defensively but most certainly a downgrade on offense.  And given what happened recently I think we can say that the FO puts more emphasis on offense than defense.   

Considering that Ellsbury is probably the biggest key to the Sox offense, I'd spend the money.  And I think the Sox will too, UNLESS someone makes Ells some offer that the Sox FO considers absoultely ridiculous. 

He will likely get at least one ridiculous offer, after all these guys got these recent offers:

Greinke $147M/6

Hamilton $125M/5

BJ Upton $75M/5

Swisher  $56M/4

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

I am not confused, it was you.  I even remember the conversation and the person you accused me of attacking came to my defense.

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, and Shane in RF. Best defensive outfield in baseball for the next 2 years.

[/QUOte]

I like Jacoby but if we lose him that is ok.  JBJ is ready to go and plays center better and has a better arm.

Ellsbury playing for another team and JBJ manning CF is a downgrade. Ells is a top 3 defensive CF'er (i would say he's #1), the best leadoff man in the game. the best base stealer in the game and offensively, is one of the best CF'ers in the game. JBJ is not going to make up for those losses with a better arm and a marginal "upgrade" defensively.... quit dreaming.

At the end of the day, Ells is a superstar OF'er and JBJ is a prospect. It's a net loss to replace the former with the latter. resign ells, stick JBJ in a corner slot or trade him (i would prefer the trade and go after a RH'ed power hitting corner player)

Well, the sox are happy with JBJ and you better get used to the idea of Jacoby in pinstripes. I did not say that JBJ is a perfect replacement, just a good one.  Down in Pawtucket the only balls getting over JBJ are the homers.  He is just as fast if not faster on the bases than Jacoby.  Either way works for me but i don't see the sox paying what Borris will want.

If JBJ does take over it will be nice to finally have a center fielder with a good arm.

tell me how the yankees are going to Sign Ells when their #1 priority going into 2014 is to get under the luxury tax and their #2 priority is to sign Cano to a mega deal ~150M IMO. they will probably look to take Granderson over Ells as he will come cheaper and is a better fit for their team and home park.

you are on drugs if you think JBJ is even in the same speed stratosphere as Ellsbury. JBJ has some wheels, but he is not jacoby fast. Jacoby is ricky henderson fast.... JBJ is simply fast.

Henry really likes jacoby. If he wants to open the pocketbook for him then no matter what anyone else offers he will return. Also the tax threshold probably isn't a deal breaker to the sox as we have a dump truck full of cash coming off the books in 2 years and an influx of young talent slated to come up as cost. Frankly, money isn't a very big issue for the sox going forward. If you are going to spend big on a player then spend big on one of your OWN players. battle tested in Boston and able to handle the "pressure".

you're the guy who accused me of posting under multiple names.  I know you have an ax to grind with me but no problem. All I can say is I have seen JBJ play at McCoy a bunch of times this year and he very fast on the bases.  He causes problems with pitchers when in the stretch as well as any player.

Again, I did not say he was the perfect replacement and I will be happy with Jacoby getting his money.  But if Jacoby does go, it is with great comfort to many sox fans to know JBJ is ready to move up to fenway.

you must have me confused with someone else. i know you are a papi basher and slight whiner but i've never said you post under multiple accounts. the only person i accuse of that is pike and we all know the validity of that statement.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It would be most unpleasant to see ells in pinstripes, but don't believe we can win a bidding war with the yankees, or would even try to win it.  Most everyone wants him back, including management, and ells likes it here, but the money will win out. 

Moon is right, the future still looks good without ells.  I'm seeing Owens Cecchini and Bogaerts as stars for the sox in the not too distant future.

You can never win a bidding war.  The only way to win is to pay more money than any team in BB is willing to spend.  almost by definition, you will have overpaid.

If it is a key position, where you lack alternatives, then you overpay.  But if you do have reasonable alternatives, I'd prefer to overpay elsewhere.

The reason why TB can hang with us is that they develop and play good prospects.  If we are unwilling to give a #30 prospect a shot at starting, we will always struggle to stay ahead of everyone else.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

mef just likes to take the opposite position of whatever myself of a few posters are saying.  His comment on how will the Yankees make it happen is proof.  If the yankees want jacoby they will write the check, if only just to upset the sox front office and sox fans.

you don't think the yankees wanted to make a play on hamilton?!?? grienke? they are not opening the pocket book for any outside player. they have new ownership and a goal 4 years in the making (getting under the tax threshold by 2014) why would they give up on that now (just to irk sox fans like you claim?? HA!) when their team is a complete mess?  jacoby ellsbury isn't going to help that team. a complete rebuild on the other hand.... i live in NY, the papers talk about the yankees (weird huh?) their days of throwing money at a problem and hoping it goes away are over.... for now anyway.

Cano is the only exception because he is a homegrown superstar and fans would riot if they let him walk (much like the sox with Pedroia).

and yes, i also find it odd that a logical person would have opposite viewpoints than an irrational person..... weird right?!? who'd have thunk?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Had the Red Sox not been changing GMs  and had a little faith in Ells we might have signed him for that before the season started.

A mistake we will deeply regret.   Bradley despite all the rave on this on here is no where near Ells and Vic is a good fielder but has won few games for us with his bat .

Bradley   Bradley  Bradley  Bradley is ready and better than Ells remember those threads.

A lot of so called baseball experts on this forum were dead wrong not that im suprised.

He wasnt going to sign before the year. Theres no way. The Sox even approached Boras about things and he wouldnt discuss money.

Exactly!  After said talks, Henry said, "It was highly unlikely that Ells stays in Boston."

this is not an accurate quote. Henry said that it was very unlikely that Ells RESIGNS BEFORE THE SEASON IS OVER.

he goes on to say in that same article that he loves Jacoby and wants him on the team in 2014 and beyond. he just isn't optimistec about the chances of Ells extending before he hits FA (which we've known for 3-4 years now......). that is 10000% different than saying he isn't going to stay here.

misinformed you are, RSDD.

Mef429,

I stand corrected.  I still think that reading between the lines, Henry was letting RS Nation know that it's very unlikely that he returns given his inside knowledge of informal talks.  You are absolutely right with respect to the actual verbage, however I honestly believe that this was a pretty obvious tip as to what is likely to happen.  He could have easily said that the Red Sox were "hopeful as to getting a deal done, but would have to wait for Ells to test the market."  He could have said this many different ways, but the big take away for me was that "a deal" was unlikely. 

Still.....  I humbly stand corrected.  I just don't see it happening.

p.s.  I would love for them to pony up on Ells, but again......   It's gonna take some serious coin.....   $18M x 6 -7+ years IMO to get it done.  I don't see Henry & Co. / BC putting out that kind of $$$  on a long term contract.   $108M  minimum.  I don't see it happening.  ;(

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.  I would go 17M for 5 years @ about 85M for Ells.  I like him at that money!  I think we get out-bid at that offer???  Hope I'm wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

How about $16 x 6 = 96M    I'd do that deal tomorrow!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

p.s.  I would go 17M for 5 years @ about 85M for Ells.  I like him at that money!  I think we get out-bid at that offer???  Hope I'm wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

How about $16 x 6 = 96M    I'd do that deal tomorrow!

i think we can all agree that Ells is going to get at least 75/5. i'd go 18X5 with an option and as high as 20X5.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to patrickford's comment:

Which teams have the money to sign him and need a CF? 

Given that Ellsbury is a proven player in Boston I hate to see this guy go. 

I'd feel better about this if Bradley had impressed me more. 

I bet other GMs love to sign guys that have shown they can play in Boston. It's like a promise a guy is iron plated. 

I have asked this question many, many times with no replies. Dodgers looking to unload one of their 4 OF's under big contracts. Yankees love Gardner, and most likely bring back Grandy on a 1 year deal. They need to sign Cano and need pitching. I don't see them also giving Ells 100m. Cubs  are still a few years away and Ells is too old for their plans. Angels already paying Hamilton, Pujols huge money, and will need to sign Trout. 

I understand the theory "it only takes 1 team", and I also understand many teams would love to have Ells, but at $100m plus? 

I truly believe the RS want him back, and he would love to come back. But the RS will hold firm on THEIR $$$ number, and not fold. they have JBJ in their back pocket. I am thinking Sox go 4/$60 with a 5 th year team option. Who goes beyond $75m for a 30 year old player on the wrong side of 30? BJ Up taught teams a huge lesson. 

Hes only 29 right now (30 in a month) and has more talent in his pinkie finger than BJ Upton ever will. Guys like Ells would have no issue perfroming into age 34-35. When/if the speed slows down, he can still hit the ball with some Pop. Id have no issue giving him a 5yr deal with a 6th option. whether that be vested with games played or whatever.

Ive said Id have no issue going 16-17M per. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the market values him. I hope hes back here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Had the Red Sox not been changing GMs  and had a little faith in Ells we might have signed him for that before the season started.

A mistake we will deeply regret.   Bradley despite all the rave on this on here is no where near Ells and Vic is a good fielder but has won few games for us with his bat .

Bradley   Bradley  Bradley  Bradley is ready and better than Ells remember those threads.

A lot of so called baseball experts on this forum were dead wrong not that im suprised.

He wasnt going to sign before the year. Theres no way. The Sox even approached Boras about things and he wouldnt discuss money.

Exactly!  After said talks, Henry said, "It was highly unlikely that Ells stays in Boston."

The Red Sox are well aware that it's going to take in the neighborhood of 18M/yr x 6 - 7 years, & they seem be preparing RS Nation that they are NOT going to spend that kind of money on Ells.

3 names that make this a virtual certitude.....

JBJ

Johnny Gomes

& Danial Nava

With the likely call up of JBJ, & the simmering LOVE AFFAIR RS Nation has developed with Nava & Gomes, Henry & Co. are prepared to let Ells walk to BIG MONEY.

With half the AB's, Gomes has excellent production.  Nava's numbers are also very impressive!

That leaves JBJ manning CF.  Let's pray he's actually going to be ready, as the likelihood of keeping Ells is rapidly diminishing with Ells heating up for a very strong finish. 

His season ending numbers????

.310+ avg, .850 ish OPS, Circa 60 SB, circa 100 runs scored, 75+ RBI's

What say you?????

Jonny Gomes83 217 36 52 14 0 10 33 31 62 0 .240 .340 .442

The signing of Vic for 3  13 was more of an indication than the players you mentioned

Gomes can't play left let alone center.

Nava's i've always liked but he's no centerfielder

My guess is the Sox like many fans on here thought Bradley was ready or will be ready next year.  He's hit  .256  in June and  .224 in July in Paw had a good game last night. I hope he picks up the pace but he really looked totally mismatched in his time in Boston.

I hope they were right and i'm wrong.

Didn't mean to leave Vic out of the equation!  You're right!  I really like Vic at the 13M x 3 year deal.  I think he's a great RF'r & he's heating up at the plate.  He's a key part of this OF'r core!!!!  Another reason the Sox will not break the bank trying to keep Ells, as much as they'd "like to see him stay."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Cano is the only exception because he is a homegrown superstar and fans would riot if they let him walk (much like the sox with Pedroia).

and yes, i also find it odd that a logical person would have opposite viewpoints than an irrational person..... weird right?!? who'd have thunk?

I think it all depends on whether they are serious about the $189M.  I see no way they could both Cano and Ellsbury.  They have already committed ~ $94M to ARod, Tex, Jeter, Wells, Ichiro, Soriano,and CC.  That's without their closer, Kuroda, and Cano, their 3 best players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think it all depends on whether they are serious about the $189M.  I see no way they could both Cano and Ellsbury.  They have already committed ~ $94M to ARod, Tex, Jeter, Wells, Ichiro, Soriano,and CC.  That's without their closer, Kuroda, and Cano, their 3 best players.

they've been talkinga bout it for the past 3 years so i'm assuming they are pretty serious about it. whenever there are talks of signing  this player or that player the desire to get under the tax before 2014 always comes up. Cano is a given. i don't think they can swing Ellsbury too unless they pull a slick salary dump. they are more likely to try and swing Granderson and Cano. granderson will come cheaper than big numbah two (for obvious reasons) and fits their team profile better than Ells.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Good luck with that.  Boras will be looking for 100 million and will probably get it or close to it.

I doubt he will get close to that. After watching the contracts of Beckett, Pujols, Slappy, Crawford, Gonzalez and the like go sour not many GMs are going to offer that kind of money any more.

We may not see another A-Rod or Pujols type deal, but come on Pumps.  Beckett is a terrible example.  He 'only' got 80 million.  Greinke got 150 million.

BJ Upton got 75 million after a season in which his OBP was .298.

Ellsbury gets 100 million, I'm going on record with that prediction.

Who in their right mind would trade for BJ Up? 

You are on record, but please name a team that gives him $100m?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If the Sox don't pay Ellsbury, someone else will. Then we can curse Boras and hope Bradley lives up to expectations. We know about his arm, but when I hear how he is a better center fielder than Ellsbury, I am from Missouri. I have to see it before I believe it. One thing that has not been talked about;  Bradley has not exactly been the most durable player so far in his career. So, it would be a gamble for the Sox.  

Stabbed by Foulke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Good luck with that.  Boras will be looking for 100 million and will probably get it or close to it.

I doubt he will get close to that. After watching the contracts of Beckett, Pujols, Slappy, Crawford, Gonzalez and the like go sour not many GMs are going to offer that kind of money any more.

We may not see another A-Rod or Pujols type deal, but come on Pumps.  Beckett is a terrible example.  He 'only' got 80 million.  Greinke got 150 million.

BJ Upton got 75 million after a season in which his OBP was .298.

Ellsbury gets 100 million, I'm going on record with that prediction.

Who in their right mind would trade for BJ Up? 

You are on record, but please name a team that gives him $100m?

In no particular order-

• SFG (drops Zito, Lincecum and Pence $50M)
    • NYM (no OFs, drop Santana and Bay $35M, with good young team)
    • Cincy (replaces Choo)
    • LAA (twice burnt, but still only 137M)
    • TX (need OF help, losing Cruz)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

We lose 10 wins next year (minimum) if we dont sign Ellsbury. Yankee friend at work hopes the Yanks go full bore for this guy. Said something that has stuck with me, got to Plate 5 times went, 0-3, scored 2 runs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

+1

Which teams have the money to sign him and need a CF? 

Given that Ellsbury is a proven player in Boston I hate to see this guy go. 

I'd feel better about this if Bradley had impressed me more. 

I bet other GMs love to sign guys that have shown they can play in Boston. It's like a promise a guy is iron plated. 

Ellsbury has been, for whatever reason, a part time player here. Last figures I heard were that he missed 44% of the games he could have played in (that was a while ago; I am sure its less now). Now some of that time is not his fault, but my guess is that some of it is simply refusing to play if he is not 100% healthy. When such a player's contract comes up, you have to figure that in. I will miss him, but I would never offer him more than four years at about $14M each.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes I'm aware of all the different possible lineups in the outfield. None excite me.

Your overlooking several valid points and grasping for straws.

Just admit you were wrong about Ells and Bradley earlier this year,

How was I wrong? I wanted JBJ to start in AAA until his days were up.

Yes, I wanted to trade Ellsbury, before we get nothing for him,,,like we will see happens.

Ellsbury is actually doing a little worse than I projected on the numbers, so Yes, I admit I was wrong.

Bradley has been just OK at best in AAA hitting less than .250 after the break and well may need another year at least in Paw.

I also wanted Justin Upton and Angel Sanchez.

Gomes is a very poor outfielder and hasn't supplied the power we expected. 

We didn't sign Gomes for defense. We signed him to bat vs LHPs. He's improving, but is still a dissapointment and a heck of a lot cheaper than Ross.

None of these guys are capable of stealing half the bases or scoring runs as Ells. 

You are brilliant. Great insight.

I don't believe Brentz who just injured his knee and is out for the season is expected to play in Bos next year. If so more than likely a very minor role

Kalish ??  What roster is he on and when did he start playing again.

Comparing Boggarts to Lynn and Rice is well wishing

I didn't say he'd be like them, I said maybe.  Maybe Ellsbury stinks next year or forgets to call of Pedey and gets hurt again. Maybe...

Hassan and Hazlebacker are not top prospects as we speak

To my knowledge bull pen pirchers rarely play CF . We'll build the pen regardlees just like we did this year it's a given and has little if nothing to do with Ells.

Try taking a reading comp class. It's a trade off. What we lose with Ells going, we gain in a draft pick and $18M a year to spend on other high need areas... like SS, 3B, 1b, C, RP and OF.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury and no comp pick

or 

No Ellsbury, yes comp pick, JBJ and Vict in CF, $18-20M a year to upgrade C, 1B, SS or 3B and/or Pen.

I'm not saying bringing Ellsbury back is bad. I want him back, but clearly the alternative choice is not a bummer. We can get a lot for $18M+ a year. We can get a nice draft pick. We may luck out with JBJ or some other OF'er.

Nothing is for sure. Ellsbury repeating 2011 or 2013 five times is a gamble too.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

JBJ strikeouts at at big rate already in Pawtucket. He's already played less games and K'd more than Ellsbury. Comparable to Triple AAA. With 10 stolen bases, with 16 attempts.

Sections
Shortcuts