Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand?

Is Tito,by playing Cameron and McDonald beyond all common sense and statistical evidence, one being that both Maholm of the Pirates and Lee last night have significantly better splits against RH hitters as opposed to LH, so these are times when the platoon system plays into a pitchers strength not weakness. By continually trotting out a AAA calibre player in McDonald, an over the hill Cameron, and the ever dis-interested JD,Tito is telling his teflon coated GM to get me some players I can use.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand?

In Response to Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand?:
    [QUOTE]   Is Tito,by playing Cameron and McDonald beyond all common sense and statistical evidence, one being that both Maholm of the Pirates and Lee last night have significantly better splits against RH hitters as opposed to LH, so these are times when the platoon system plays into a pitchers strength not weakness. By continually trotting out a AAA calibre player in McDonald, an over the hill Cameron, and the ever dis-interested JD,Tito is telling his teflon coated GM to get me some players I can use.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Well with Crawford on the DL, he has to play at least one of the three on any given night, assuming Reddick is one of the OF'ers.

That's what makes all the angst about last night's ridiculous. Drew against Lee hardly would have been better than anything else, so all that fuss was because Reddick didn't play.

A manager has to use his roster. That's the only way to know if a strugglng player will turn it around. Although Reddick has hit well since he's been up here, it's only 28 at-bats (something like that) and he was batting in the .230s in Triple-A. So it's not like he's some red-hot, can't-miss player. He's been mediocre at best. I'm not saying he's not going to become a quality starting player, but Francona is smart at not putting him bad situations. He's putting Reddick in positions where he can succeed, gain confidence and perhaps keep up the strong play. I think it was smart to keep him out against Lee last night.

As for Cameron and McDonald, their role is to play against lefties and the only way you know if they can do their role is to play them. By now, it's becoming more obvious that they can't anymore. But until Theo gives him other players, Francona doesn't have a choice.

It's not forcing Theo's hand because I'm sure the front office is planning their moves. But these move are rarely, if ever, done in June. So you have to muddle through until the changes are made. The Sox, despite their recent funk, still have one of the best records in baseball.

The funny thing about all those "white flag" posts about the lineup yesterday, I could have posted the same thing had Reddick and Drew started. For instance, "What is Francona thinking starting those left=handed bats against the best lefty in baseball who chews up left-handed batters and spits them out."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

At the very least, the Red Sox need a right handed bat coming off the bench.  Either they trade for one or they continue to give Cameron/McDonald opportunities to prove they can handle the job.  And it doesn't hurt to let them continue to try until the Sox make a trade.

I doubt that Tito is doing anything that he and Theo haven't discussed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe. Show The--Babe's posts

[QUOTE]   Is Tito,by playing Cameron and McDonald beyond all common sense and statistical evidence, one being that both Maholm of the Pirates and Lee last night have significantly better splits against RH hitters as opposed to LH, so these are times when the platoon system plays into a pitchers strength not weakness. By continually trotting out a AAA calibre player in McDonald, an over the hill Cameron, and the ever dis-interested JD,Tito is telling his teflon coated GM to get me some players I can use.

Geez, he's got a team with a $180M payroll, it's not like theo is asking him to get by on the rays payroll.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Theo and Tito are "Wrestling" together...LOL...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand?:
    [QUOTE]At the very least, the Red Sox need a right handed bat coming off the bench.  Either they trade for one or they continue to give Cameron/McDonald opportunities to prove they can handle the job.  And it doesn't hurt to let them continue to try until the Sox make a trade. I doubt that Tito is doing anything that he and Theo haven't discussed.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Most fans are saying we just need a RF that can hit lefties.  Reddick has been hitting lefties but is still sitting on the bench.  The Sox can't think too highly of Josh in my opinion and we still don't know if Kalish will be ready next season.

Why not look for our next full time RF now if there is one available?

This time
    , look for a guy that doesn't need to be platooned like Drew and Trot. 
    Who do we trade?  Not sure but I do know McD, Drew and Cameron are all expendable so cut your losses and move on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No, he's not.

But he is highlighting what he's got to work with.  That's always a good idea before the all-star break. 

Last night he also used Morales and Jenks, probably to get an early look at what they can do. 

Job one is always to win the game, but good managers are always thinking ahead and accumulating information on what their players can do. 

When Crawford returns, one of these three will leave:  McDonald, Drew, Cameron.  I'd keep McDonald, but I'm not sure he can--Theo spent $22M for Cameron and Drew this year.  Still, . . . .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

What exactly do you mean by "significantly better splits"?

Lee's career WHIP vs RHH: 1.26
          2011: 1.19

Lee's career WHIP vs LHH: 1.19
        2011: 0.71

Lee has struck out about 1 more batter per 9 innings against RHH's, but he's also walked an extra batter per 9 innings.

Maholm's career WHIP vs RHH: 1.52
     2011: 1.15

Maholm's career WHIP vs LHH: 1.03
     2011: 1.31

2011 FIP
    vs RHH: 4.51
    vs LHP: 2.39

Despite his improved WHIP against RHH's this season, Maholm has been a better pitcher against LHH's this season, which is consistent with his career results.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

What outfielder is available & who would you trade. Is Either available & is he worth the prospects. The Dodgers may have a fire sale & if so who goes at what price.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand? : What exactly do you mean by "significantly better splits"? Lee's career WHIP vs RHH: 1.26       2011: 1.19 Lee's career WHIP vs LHH: 1.19     2011: 0.71 Lee has struck out about 1 more batter per 9 innings against RHH's, but he's also walked an extra batter per 9 innings. Maholm's career WHIP vs RHH: 1.52  2011: 1.15 Maholm's career WHIP vs LHH: 1.03  2011: 1.31 2011 FIP vs RHH: 4.51 vs LHP: 2.39 Despite his improved WHIP against RHH's this season, Maholm has been a better pitcher against LHH's this season, which is consistent with his career results.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
       I'm trying to select the stats that make my arguement, not unlike what Tito does in making his line up.
                                             Lee in '09 vs LH 3.63 ERA RH 3.08
                                                       '10 vs LH 3.28 ERA RH 3.15
                                          Maholm in '11 vs LH 4.64 ERA RH 2.82

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand? :    I'm trying to select the stats that make my arguement, not unlike what Tito does in making his line up.                                          Lee in '09 vs LH 3.63 ERA RH 3.08                                                    '10 vs LH 3.28 ERA RH 3.15                                       Maholm in '11 vs LH 4.64 ERA RH 2.82

So you care about the past, but only sometimes?  Seems like you're grasping at straws here.  Either the 2011 stats matter and then last night Tito made the right call, or the 2011 stats don't matter and Tito made the right call against Maholm.

Also, ERA doesn't make any sense to use when discussing splits, since runs scoring when a certain batter is up is primarily a product of who is on base more than which side of the plate the batter hits from.  WHIP and FIP are meant for this analysis because they do not depend on runners scoring.  They measure strictly batter to batter, which is what you need in this situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Like I said I'm learning fron Francona, who I think is a good manager btw, to selectively use stats in a way that will support my arguement. There are lies, dam lies, and statistics

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Tito trying to force Theo's hand? : So you care about the past, but only sometimes?  Seems like you're grasping at straws here.  Either the 2011 stats matter and then last night Tito made the right call, or the 2011 stats don't matter and Tito made the right call against Maholm. Also, ERA doesn't make any sense to use when discussing splits, since runs scoring when a certain batter is up is primarily a product of who is on base more than which side of the plate the batter hits from.  WHIP and FIP are meant for this analysis because they do not depend on runners scoring.  They measure strictly batter to batter, which is what you need in this situation.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
      and too answer your question 'exactly'

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]  THATS PURE NONSENSE, SON !!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Like Obama, Tito works in strange ways. To help the economy improve, increasing unemployment and borrowing trillions is the path to prosperity. To get better long term production in the lineup, Tito puts his coldest bats in the 5 hole. Simply be patient and give these two charismatic leaders the time they need to finish the job in more than 7 days. In the case of Tito, he needs about 5 years. In the case of Obama, he can't finish his work and save the Nation in less than 4 years. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

There's no need to complicate the question with all kinds of different answers. He's not trying to send Theo a message, he is managing to the best of his ability. Inserting 2 players into the lineup that are both batting under .160, because they're right handed, makes sense to him. From what I can tell, it makes sense to a lot of Sox fans who believe he's a great manager. No, he's not sending a message to anyone. He's simply a managerial moron.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Too funny.  If Tito doesn't play Cam or Mac, the haters would be complaining that he isn't giving those guys a chance.

Cam and Mac are on the team to do a job.  They were hired by Theo.  Tito is also hired by Theo. It's Tito's job to use players in the roles they were hired to do.  If the Red Sox lose because Cam and Mac aren't doing their jobs, then it's on Theo.  If the Red Sox lose and neither Cam and Mac are being used, then Theo can point the finger at Tito and say, "we lost because you didn't use the players correctly".

If you do what you boss tells you do to and you fail, it's your boss's fault.  If you ignore your boss and you fail, then it's your fault.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Theo has many faults.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]Theo has many faults.
    Posted by redsoxcorpseman[/QUOTE]

Just out of morbid curiosity......  Why were you banned this time????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

I wasn't banned, but I know people who were banned for being critical of certain Red Sox players and the leader of our 59 United States and Marine Corpse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

With all due respect I think it was 58 states.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I have to admit, I love your avatar. And your personality (In a good way) seems to fit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

It was 57 States, excluding Alaska and Hawaii, which makes a corpse of 59 states.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]It was 57 States, excluding Alaska and Hawaii, which makes a corpse of 59 states.
    Posted by redsoxcorpseman[/QUOTE]
    I stand corrected.