Is trading for Josh Johnson a realstic ideal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Is trading for Josh Johnson a realstic ideal?

His does have very good numbers over in the national league-but how would he stack up aganist american league teams? Also would you really want to trade for someone who is already 28 years old and has had injury problems the last few seasons. Also factor in that, it seems that the minor league system with the trade with the Dodgers, seems to be finally moving in the right direction. Would you want to trade away top prospects for guy like Johnson? I am really mixed when it comes to this guy. I wouldn't mind him in a Red Sox uniform but at the same time, Ben should stay the course and look to make minor, 1 or 2 yr deals for pitchers this off-season. His injury issues don't scare that much, the scaring part would to be part with 2 top pitchers out of the minors and another of/inf player. No thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Is trading for Josh Johnson a realstic ideal?

It might be!  The Marlins are abondoning their fans and players left and right. So.... they would not want Elles or even Lester as they will surely demand prospects.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't know what it would take , but he is a very good pitcher. As far as pitching in the A.L. , we need to get over that.  The idea that the N.L. is inferior is a myth that should be put in the rear view mirror.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

If in a perfect world, what if our rotation looked like this next year, how confident would you be in this team. I know that depends on hitting and filling in 1b,ss, rf and so on, I am just asking.

Lester

Buckholz

Josh Johnson

Dan Haren

Lackey or Doubront

Just my two cents and I think that could be a realstic ideal not some crazy ideal

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

dg that is correct. I recall people saying Garza "was battle tested" as if that meant he would be a good fit in the division. If the myth held true than I would guess Garza would be one of the top 4 pitchers in the NL having been battle tested in Tampa.

Now we got a lot of good things out of Beckett, and Burnett had some good seasons after he left Florida - Johnson sort of fits their pedigree... oft injured, off years, very good years, and great ability.

I say go get him if we can... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know what it would take , but he is a very good pitcher. As far as pitching in the A.L. , we need to get over that.  The idea that the N.L. is inferior is a myth that should be put in the rear view mirror.  

[/QUOTE]

The Sox went after Josh Johnson at the July trading deadline and my guess is they'll do it again.  Ironically, I think the only untouchable is Boegarts, but the last time they traded a highly touted shortstop to the Marlins as the centerpiece for a top of the rotation pitcher, it worked out pretty well...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

J. Johnson would be a great get, but our team has been so devastated by injuries in recent years, that I cringe at the thought of giving up top prospects for someone so seemingly fragile.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishPride39. Show IrishPride39's posts

If the Marlins maintain the same philosophy that they did during the trade deadline this season it won't take too much to obtain Johnson via trade. They practically gave Hanely away to the Dodgers. A plus prospect like Cecchini and one or two lower level prospects like Jacobs and Vinicio just might get it done. I'm not by any means qualified to say this is a good offer but it seems to me that Miami would be interested in taking mid level value to dump salary. Such as Boston gets Johnson and takes Reyes off Miami's books and the Sox give up Ceccini (stuck behind WMB), Vinicio a future, yet unpredictable shortstop, and a decent outfield prospect in Jacobs. Throw in a lower level prospect and who knows.

Before everyone goes nuts with this and says I'm crazy keep in mind its gonna be a crazy offseason for the Sox and there will most certainly be worse ideas that this. My premise is Miami is looking to dump money and the Sox can afford to take on a guy like Reyes to get an ace like Johnson. Lastly, I believe, despite the huge salary, Reyes would be a great pickup. He's a plus player and the Sox could plug him into the lead off spot allowing them to use Ells and Iglesias in another trade.

Just a thought.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Hmmmmmmm...... a good idea maybe. Reyes can lead-off right? Has a lot of speed? Farrell likes to run so that is good..... hmmmmm hmmmmm hmmmm things that make you go hmmmmm.

► 5:08► 5:08

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Josh Johnson has talent, but the righthander becomes a free agent at the end of the 2013 season. That's a potentially short return on a nearly 29-year-old pitcher often slowed by injuries.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Well Master hill going on the other posters ideas maybe the team see's Reyes as a worth while fit and having Johnson for a season becomes a secondary pleasure.

You do know the Sox are wealthy right? They can offer a contract to Johnson after 2013 and after having seen him pitch at Fenway for a year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Jose Reyes Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Good Man ol' Mighty Reyes is being paid $22 million a year for the majority of his current contract!  He would be good for 30 stolen bases, 40 doubles .... and he did stay healthy this year. I think after looking at his salary I would prefer to go with Iggy still, at least until July.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Realisitc?  Yes.  But do you want to pay the price? 

Rationalize how cheap he will be all you want.  All that means is some other team will have an even easier time topping the Sox offer...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its a realistic idea, but probably not a good one...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Another inconsistent pitcher from the FLA Marlins? Sure, why not. We just got rid of Beckett after all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We were 142-110 against the NL this year, or .563.  Over the course of a full season, that would make a .500 AL team a 91-win team in the NL.  It's not a myth, it is a fact.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another inconsistent pitcher from the FLA Marlins? Sure, why not. We just got rid of Beckett after all.

[/QUOTE]

Wow...I seem to recall the Sox won a championship with the inconsistent Beckett as their ace...If that's what Johnson can bring I'm all for it.

Furthermore, I wish we would stop enamoring our prospects so much at the expense of proven major league players...a trade represents giving up something to get something...and if that means giving up a young player who is 2-3 years away for a competitive team today, I'm all for that too.

If Cherington could manage to acquire Johnson AND Reyes from the Marlins it would certainly cease the bridge year discussions on this board.

Is Bogaerts a sure thing? Bradley? any of these kids?? We likely won't know for sure for another year or two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well Master hill going on the other posters ideas maybe the team see's Reyes as a worth while fit and having Johnson for a season becomes a secondary pleasure.

You do know the Sox are wealthy right? They can offer a contract to Johnson after 2013 and after having seen him pitch at Fenway for a year.

[/QUOTE]

We could offer a congtract to JJ whether we trade for him or not.

IRT trading for him, I would definitely consider it.  The docs have to okay it, but his AL splits are good, he finished well.

But like Hill said, if we did acquire him, we have to know that he is a one-year pitcher.  That's all we are acquiring.  Project what kind of SP we are getting for $14M, what we are giving up, and what the comp is if he pitches well enough for a qualifying offer.  I certainly wouldn't give up a premier prospect for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Is Bogaerts a sure thing? Bradley? any of these kids?? We likely won't know for sure for another year or two.

JJ had major surgery.

Reyes averaged 98 games in the three years prior to 2012.  Are they a sure thing?  I'm okay with JJ, but Reyes, imo, is a huge risk over the next 5 years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Would Ranaudo, Britton, Iglesias (cuban SS going to Miami), Ceccini, and Brandon Jacobs for Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes get it done?  Is that realistic?  Too much?  Too little?  Moon? Notin? Hill? Garyhow? Enchilada? Southpaw?  I'm just curious as to others thoughts but i'm starting to talk myself into it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would Ranaudo, Britton, Iglesias (cuban SS going to Miami), Ceccini, and Brandon Jacobs for Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes get it done?  Is that realistic?  Too much?  Too little?  Moon? Notin? Hill? Garyhow? Enchilada? Southpaw?  I'm just curious as to others thoughts but i'm starting to talk myself into it.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't take the Reyes contract even if I didn't have to give a single low-level prospect.

For JJ, I'd give up Jacobs and Britton, or a guy like Workman, maybe Renaudo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would take a shot on josh johnson, and there is a good chance he could be available. his value is lower than what it would have been this past trade deadline as he is only signed through 2013. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hard to say...we don't know how badly the Marlins want to dump payroll. I'd expect the Marlins could get a better haul for those two, but if Ben is aggressive - maybe they will bite.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd expect the Marlins could get a better haul for those two, 

If anyone wanted Reyes, they'd have signed him as a FA.  Why would they trade a haul for him now that he is one year older?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd expect the Marlins could get a better haul for those two, 

If anyone wanted Reyes, they'd have signed him as a FA.  Why would they trade a haul for him now that he is one year older?

[/QUOTE]

3 things 

1st- Reyes was coming off 2 years of injuries. This year he stayed healthy and on the field.

2nd- Last off season most everybody felt the BoSox had this potent offense and now one year later we are stripped down and looking for a spark to get us going.

3rd- Last off season we were pressed to our budget limits, while this year we are flush with cash and flexibilty

Sections
Shortcuts