1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Is Tulo a fit?

Would the Sox want him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Is Tulo a fit?

No, he's too good for the Sox

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yeah, he would make a lot of the guys feel bad about themselves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

I'm pretty sure he would be an improvement over the last acquisition Ben made for the position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Tulo would be a great fit for the Sox, and we have the prospects needed to offer. However, trading a mess of prospects and then paying open market type free agent money for any player like this traded for, is problematic. The question asked is always, "why not just sign a guy like him and keep the prospects?"

Here's my answer to that:

1) There is no "guy like that" at SS. Tulo is one of a kind right now.

• Positional  Value: I'm a big believer in comparing our players with other team's players by position. Tulo dominates his position like no other player in MLB. Since 2013, Tulo has a .974 OPS. The next best OPS by a SS is Peralta at .801 then Reyes at .761. The 15th best SS in MLB had about a .685 OPS. That's a huge advantage from a weak hitting position.

2) We need SS defense badly.

• Since 2006, Tulo has the 6th best SS UZR/150 in MLB at +5.4, just 0.4 away from #4 (E Andrus) and 0.1 away from #5 (A Ramirez).
    • His defense has improved to +6.2 since 2010, still 6th in MLB in that time frame.

3) We need offense badly.

• As I showed with his positional value, Tulo dominates the average SS by about 200 points in OPS. A lot has been said about his numbers being park-inflated, and while the differential is substantial (.962 to .818), his career road OPS would still be the best overall SS OPS in MLB. He also plays many games in large parks like LAD and SD. I like his .951 career OPS vs the AL.

4) We can afford Tulo and still fill other high need areas.

• He is getting paid $16M next year and then $20M a year until 2019, but then it drops down to $14M in 2020 with a $15M club option for 2021 and a $4M buyout. Basically, he's due $135M/7 or $146M/8. He turns 30 this October, so he'll be 36 or 37 when his contract expires.
    • His total deal is $157.75M/10, including the buyout for 2021, so the luxury salary hit would only be about $16M/yr. That's a big plus for a team looking to not have to pay the luxury tax.

The only big concern I have is his health and the fact that he plays a physically demanding position. I'm not that concerned about his age, because he is a good fielder, and his hitting skills seem like they will transfer well into his mid 30's. He's only player over 150 games twice since 2007 and over 143 three times out of 8 years since becoming a FT'er. However, he's only missed over 40 games a year 2 times out of 8, one of which he still played 101 games. Since 2007, only 5 SSs have played more innings: Rollins, Hardy, Reyes, Y Escobar & Jeter.

In 3 big ways, he's a better fit for Boston than Stanton:

1) We have no SS that can hit and field in our system. Tulo does both very well. (This also allows Bogey, Holt, and Middy to battle for the 3B job, instead of SS and 3B.)

2) We have 8 guys who can play OF (Cespedes, Craig, Vic, Nava, JBJ, Holt, Betts & Brown) and another 3 or more (Bogey, Middy & Cecchini) that may end being OF'ers soon. Signing Stanton would squeeze a good player out of a position or force a trade of Napoli, so Craig could move to 1B.

3) Presumably, trading for Stanton would only occur, if he agrees to an extension. The extension would likely put his luxury tax budget number somewhere between $22M and $30M. Tulo's is under $16M.

Pie in the sky with me a bit, and please don't quote me as saying I want to do all this, but this could be possible:

1) Trade for Stanton.

• offer Owens, Betts and any 3 from: Webster, Barnes, Middy, Cecchini, Devers or Margot. (My guess is they'd take Webster, Barnes & Devers.) Extend Stanton at a luxury tax cost of about $25M/yr.

2) Trade for Tulo. 

• offer Bogey, Swihart, Coyle and any 2 from: Johnson, and any one the Marlins refused from the above trade. (My guess is they'd take  Johnson and Cecchini.) Luxury tax cost: +$16M/yr

3) Sign: Shields $22M x 3, Uehara $7M x 2, and Ross $2M x 1.

I think we could squeak under the luxury tax with all this, but it would be close. We could not take Breslow's $4M option if needed.

That would give us this for 2014:

C: Vazquez & Ross (Butler/Lava)

1B: Napoli & Craig (T Shaw/Almanzar)

2B: Pedroia (Rijo)

3B: Holt & Middy

SS: Tulo & Herrera (Marrero) 

LF: Craig & Nava/Stanton 

CF: Cespedes & JBJ

RF: Stanton & Vic/Holt 

DH: Ortiz

Line-up:

1) Holt 3B/RF/Bogey 3B

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Tulo SS

4) Stanton RF/LF

5) Ortiz DH

6) Napoli 1B

7) Cespedes CF

8) Craig LF/DH

9) Vazquez

SP: Shields, Kelly, de la Rosa, Buchholz & 1 from Ranaudo/Escobar/Rodrigues

RP: Uehara, Tazawa, Hembree, Mujica, Workman, and 2 from Britton/Escobar/Rodriguez/Wilson/Layne

We could possibly trade Napoli & Buchholz for a better SP'er, put Craig at 1B and get more PAs for Holt, Middy (allow Holt to play in the OF more), Nava and/or JBJ.

I know this is fantasy baseball type talk here, but there's lots to think about this winter.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

But doesn't he get hurt too often?  Whatever they do, I hope we hold onto Swihart.  He could be one of a kind at C just like Tulo is at SS.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But doesn't he get hurt too often?  Whatever they do, I hope we hold onto Swihart.  He could be one of a kind at C just like Tulo is at SS.  

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe a bit too much, but no major injuries that seem career threatening, and besides, he's played more innings at SS than all but 5 other MLb SSs since 2007.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He'd be a great fit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Moon, if only.  What a lineup, five guys in a row with outstanding power! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Tulo would be a great fit for the Sox, and we have the prospects needed to offer. However, trading a mess of prospects and then paying open market type free agent money for any player like this traded for, is problematic. The question asked is always, "why not just sign a guy like him and keep the prospects?"

• Positional  Value: I'm a big believer in comparing our players with other team's players by position. Tulo dominates his position like no other player in MLB. Since 2013, Tulo has a .974 OPS. The next best OPS by a SS is Peralta at .801 then Reyes at .761. The 15th best SS in MLB had about a .685 OPS. That's a huge advantage from a weak hitting position.

• Since 2006, Tulo has the 6th best SS UZR/150 in MLB at +5.4, just 0.4 away from #4 (E Andrus) and 0.1 away from #5 (A Ramirez).
    • His defense has improved to +6.2 since 2010, still 6th in MLB in that time frame.

• As I showed with his positional value, Tulo dominates the average SS by about 200 points in OPS. A lot has been said about his numbers being park-inflated, and while the differential is substantial (.962 to .818), his career road OPS would still be the best overall SS OPS in MLB. He also plays many games in large parks like LAD and SD. I like his .951 career OPS vs the AL.

• He is getting paid $16M next year and then $20M a year until 2019, but then it drops down to $14M in 2020 with a $15M club option for 2021 and a $4M buyout. Basically, he's due $135M/7 or $146M/8. He turns 30 this October, so he'll be 36 or 37 when his contract expires.
    • His total deal is $157.75M/10, including the buyout for 2021, so the luxury salary hit would only be about $16M/yr. That's a big plus for a team looking to not have to pay the luxury tax.

The only big concern I have is his health and the fact that he plays a physically demanding position. I'm not that concerned about his age, because he is a good fielder, and his hitting skills seem like they will transfer well into his mid 30's. He's only player over 150 games twice since 2007 and over 143 three times out of 8 years since becoming a FT'er. However, he's only missed over 40 games a year 2 times out of 8, one of which he still played 101 games. Since 2007, only 5 SSs have played more innings: Rollins, Hardy, Reyes, Y Escobar & Jeter.

1) We have no SS that can hit and field in our system. Tulo does both very well. (This also allows Bogey, Holt, and Middy to battle for the 3B job, instead of SS and 3B.)

2) We have 8 guys who can play OF (Cespedes, Craig, Vic, Nava, JBJ, Holt, Betts & Brown) and another 3 or more (Bogey, Middy & Cecchini) that may end being OF'ers soon. Signing Stanton would squeeze a good player out of a position or force a trade of Napoli, so Craig could move to 1B.

3) Presumably, trading for Stanton would only occur, if he agrees to an extension. The extension would likely put his luxury tax budget number somewhere between $22M and $30M. Tulo's is under $16M.

Pie in the sky with me a bit, and please don't quote me as saying I want to do all this, but this could be possible:

1) Trade for Stanton.

• offer Owens, Betts and any 3 from: Webster, Barnes, Middy, Cecchini, Devers or Margot. (My guess is they'd take Webster, Barnes & Devers.) Extend Stanton at a luxury tax cost of about $25M/yr.

2) Trade for Tulo. 

• offer Bogey, Swihart, Coyle and any 2 from: Johnson, and any one the Marlins refused from the above trade. (My guess is they'd take  Johnson and Cecchini.) Luxury tax cost: +$16M/yr

I think we could squeak under the luxury tax with all this, but it would be close. We could not take Breslow's $4M option if needed.

Line-up:

1) Holt 3B/RF/Bogey 3B

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Tulo SS

4) Stanton RF/LF

5) Ortiz DH

6) Napoli 1B

7) Cespedes CF

8) Craig LF/DH

9) Vazquez

RP: Uehara, Tazawa, Hembree, Mujica, Workman, and 2 from Britton/Escobar/Rodriguez/Wilson/Layne

We could possibly trade Napoli & Buchholz for a better SP'er, put Craig at 1B and get more PAs for Holt, Middy (allow Holt to play in the OF more), Nava and/or JBJ.

I know this is fantasy baseball type talk here, but there's lots to think about this winter.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I like all of that except our starting pitchers. We need someone the caliber of Lester or Scherzer to head it up, not Shields.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like all of that except our starting pitchers. We need someone the caliber of Lester or Scherzer to head it up, not Shields.

I'd like to have better SP'ers too, but with that line-up....

If we could get another SP with Shields and still stay under the limit, it would be nice.

I mentioned Shields, because I think he'll be cheaper than Scherzer and Lester, but if decide we can go over the cap one year, we could do both.

We could also not keep Breslow and look to trade high salaries like Napoli, Vic and Mujica to allow us to get Scherzer or Lester too, or just upgrade from Shields to Scherzer.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Absolutely not.  Assuming he is out for the year, he will have averaged 106 GS over the past 5 years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, he's too good for the Sox

[/QUOTE]

True, but they'd bring him down to their level.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Absolutely not.  Assuming he is out for the year, he will have averaged 106 GS over the past 5 years.

[/QUOTE]

106 games from Tulo and 56 from my grandmother would still put up better numbers than we've gotten over the last 5 years from our SS position.

Plus, here's something else to ponder: most games by a Sox SS...

2014: 63 Bogey/39 Drew

2013: 124 Drew/29 Iggy

2012: 128 Aviles/24 Iggy

2011: 109 Scutaro/49 Lowrie

2010: 132 Scutaro/23 Lowrie

2009: 81 Green/44 Gonzo/32 Lugo/26 Lowrie

2008: 81 Lugo/69 Cora/49 Lowrie

Average all these together and it's probably pretty close to 106.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

You think the Rocks would take Middy and and his 180 average for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe with 4 top prospects thrown in.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

106 games from Tulo and 56 from my grandmother would still put up better numbers than we've gotten over the last 5 years from our SS position.

Plus, here's something else to ponder: most games by a Sox SS...

2014: 63 Bogey/39 Drew

2013: 124 Drew/29 Iggy

2012: 128 Aviles/24 Iggy

2011: 109 Scutaro/49 Lowrie

2010: 132 Scutaro/23 Lowrie

2009: 81 Green/44 Gonzo/32 Lugo/26 Lowrie

2008: 81 Lugo/69 Cora/49 Lowrie

Average all these together and it's probably pretty close to 106.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but for what he gets paid, you still have to go out and find someone to play the other 56 games.  My concern is always what the future holds.  Precedent shows us that people are healthier in their 20's than in their 30's....if you're having injury or health problems when you are in your 20's they are bound to be even worse in your 30's.  So now we are talking about a guy who could potentially become a serious injury concern and leave us with a lot less payroll flexibility AND have 3-5 less guys in our system who could fill up holes on the cheap.  If He does become an injury concern, it would have taken only ONE of those guys to become a good player to make that a bad deal.

I'm not saying a Healthy Tulo doesn't make this team better, nor am I saying he doesn't have a decent chance of staying moderately healthy.  But for the money he is already paid and the cost in prospects he would render....I would feel much better making a deal with someone who has a track record of staying on the field. 

Last time he played in over 150 games he was 24, he will be 30 next year.  He's also very large for a SS, so he is probably due for a switch to 3B soon.   I'd rather keep the prospects and sign Hanley to play 3rd

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd like to have better SP'ers too, but with that line-up....

If we could get another SP with Shields and still stay under the limit, it would be nice.

I mentioned Shields, because I think he'll be cheaper than Scherzer and Lester, but if decide we can go over the cap one year, we could do both.

We could also not keep Breslow and look to trade high salaries like Napoli, Vic and Mujica to allow us to get Scherzer or Lester too, or just upgrade from Shields to Scherzer.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Yup.  I gotta admit with that lineup, we might not need an ace.  Shields and solid #2 guy will do the job.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Only if they had ROCKS in their head. I remember when Brooks Robinson was referred to as a vacuum cleaner at 3rd. Middlebrooks is like a vacuum cleaner at the plate; he sux.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think it's time to officially nominate Moon for GM! Very creative mind capable of thinking outside the box. I actually like this whole proposal Moon....though I am not at all concerned about staying under the luxury tax . It's reset...it's time to storm boldly over that arbitrary line like the large market club we're supposed to be!!! TV revenues were down big time this season because we didn't field a quality product anyone wanted to watch. Follow GM Moon's advice and get these deals done, and the Benjamins would be rolling in to more than cover the costs of the luxury tax/higher payroll. If we manage our club like a small market team again next season, the revenue decline for this yr will be remembered as "the good old days", and I predict even season tickets will be significantly impacted. Go Moon!!!

[QUOTE]

1) Trade for Stanton.

2) Trade for Tulo. 

Line-up:

1) Holt 3B/RF/Bogey 3B

2) Pedroia 2B

3) Tulo SS

4) Stanton RF/LF

5) Ortiz DH

6) Napoli 1B

7) Cespedes CF

8) Craig LF/DH

9) Vazquez

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Teaks, you got to copyright the Blue font. You and moon can go on tour...The Bold Fonts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Haha! Thx Dannycater. I do admit to being a bit of an eye catcher. **Struts**

Teaks, you got to copyright the Blue font. You and moon can go on tour...The Bold Fonts

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Would the Sox want him?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

FOr all that he can do well, he is far too often on the DL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes but for what he gets paid, you still have to go out and find someone to play the other 56 games. My concern is always what the future holds. Precedent shows us that people are healthier in their 20's than in their 30's....if you're having injury or health problems when you are in your 20's they are bound to be even worse in your 30's. So now we are talking about a guy who could potentially become a serious injury concern and leave us with a lot less payroll flexibility AND have 3-5 less guys in our system who could fill up holes on the cheap. If He does become an injury concern, it would have taken only ONE of those guys to become a good player to make that a bad deal.

I'm not saying a Healthy Tulo doesn't make this team better, nor am I saying he doesn't have a decent chance of staying moderately healthy. But for the money he is already paid and the cost in prospects he would render....I would feel much better making a deal with someone who has a track record of staying on the field.

Last time he played in over 150 games he was 24, he will be 30 next year. He's also very large for a SS, so he is probably due for a switch to 3B soon. I'd rather keep the prospects and sign Hanley to play 3rd.

Tulo's health is a concern. I agree.

His pay only counts as about $16M a year against the luxury budget, so even if he plays just 2/3 of each season his prorated pay would be about $24M/yr... about what he's is worth at 160 games.

Anybody we pick up is a gamble. We have to roll the dice on someone, and only Stanton and Tulo seem to be available this winter or next deadline.

Sox4ever