Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er?

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er?:
    In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Classy stuff.
    Posted by nhsteven

Im addressing a classless person who treats others like crap.  Hes lucky I dont have his address. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Farm hand is a real winner. How has he been allowed to post so long?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : You're right, it was mostly release, but I don't recall Munson having a weak arm; and I could be wrong about Cerone & Berra; Cerone only really had 1 good year. Let's put it this way: Berra defensively wasn't Bench or Parrish or Howard or Dickey or a bunch of others I could name. Stengel loved him, so I guess he knew something I dont.
    Posted by nhsteven

Let's put it this way: Berra defensively wasn't Bench or Parrish or Howard or Dickey or a bunch of others I could name. Stengel loved him, so I guess he knew something I don't.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Disagree. Munson had a rocket arm, and often (relatively speaking) picked off base runners; (in HS, he once picked off the bases loaded!). IMO, he was better behind the dish than Berra, this is my subjective ranking defensively of some of the Yankee catchers: 1. Howard 2. Munson 3. Dickey 4. Cerone 5. Berra 6. Gibbs 7. Posada   I believe Martin shall have something to say about this, barring injuries.
    Posted by nhsteven

Like I said -- he was much better than I was willing to give him credit for when I was younger.

As for your list, it's hard to compare players of different eras. I never saw Berra, Howard and Dickey play. It's worth nothing, however, that Berra threw out 47 percent of runners trying to steal and had a .984 fielding percentage FWIW.

Overall, three-time MVP winner Berra is easily the best catcher of all time for the Yankees, maybe the second-best all-time after Johnny Bench (or third after Roy Campanella, it's close).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

How was he with his pitching staffs?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : That's my point. Piazza is clearly a HOFer, but his defensive numbers are just so-so. Now, VM will never hit 400 HR's but his BA, OBP, SLG and OPS are pretty impressive, and if he is able to continue the pace for the next 5 or 6 years, he could very well be considered HOF material.
    Posted by Alibiike

Piazza was a better catcher than VMART, and his #s were monstrous; IMO and in general on this topic, you're way off base.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

How was he with his pitching staffs?
    Posted by harness

I'm guessing very good; look at the results. I never said Berra wasn't very good defensively; but comparing him to Pudge, Cochrane & Bench? With the physical tools those guys had? Come on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's my point. Berrera wasn't gifted physically, but what he did with what he had was utterly astonishing. Besides, he makes terrific commercials:)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

That's my point. Berrera wasn't gifted physically, but what he did with what he had was utterly astonishing. Besides, he makes terrific commercials:)
    Posted by harness

OK & Yes; I'm getting weary. FWIW, he grew up with Garagiola, the Cardinals liked & signed Joe G., but passed on Berra. Dickey made him better. I love his quotes also.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

His quotes are legendary. Hard to dislike Yogi.
    Catch ya later my friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er?:
    His career numbers, so far: .301 BA  137 HR  686 RBI  .369 OBS  .838 OPS  .469 SLG 4-time All-Star. It's your call.
    Posted by harness

With Victor it depends on whether they consider him to be one of the best catchers.  He has a great lifetime BA, caught a couple CY Young guys and has a very good career fielding percentage although many question his ability.  Not a good arm and a little bit weak on defense in my book.

I would say no, when I think HOF it would be a player who is at least good at everything throughout his career.  In other words an above 270 BA, good defense, good arm, good bat and decent game caller. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Why borderline? Posada was the best offensive catcher of his era. His hitting numbers are amazing. Why is he not a shoe-in?

Posted by harness

Why is he not a shoe in? Well, because catchers rarely make it into the HOF, plus it's not all about offense. Defense does account for some of it, but will not be "prioritized" (I know that's what you were getting at to try to strengthen your fantasy of tek getting in the HOF, nice try though).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Disagree. Munson had a rocket arm, and often (relatively speaking) picked off base runners; (in HS, he once picked off the bases loaded!). IMO, he was better behind the dish than Berra, this is my subjective ranking defensively of some of the Yankee catchers: 1. Howard 2. Munson 3. Dickey 4. Cerone 5. Berra 6. Gibbs 7. Posada   I believe Martin shall have something to say about this, barring injuries.

Posted by nhsteven

LOL....how many games of Dickey's career have you watched?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : LOL....how many games of Dickey's career have you watched?
    Posted by The---Babe---

I've read about him, checked his offensive & defensive stats, and drew conclusions; something you're likely deficient at, amongst all your other qualities. Did you know that 19 Negro Leaguers were inducted into the HOF a few yrs ago primarily based on a book?  While we're at it, perhaps your namesake Babe Ruth s--ked, after all, we didn't see him play. Yet another brilliant observation by the master of them. In your lame attempts to bait, you seem to be proficient at shooting yourself in the foot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : With Victor it depends on whether they consider him to be one of the best catchers.  He has a great lifetime BA, caught a couple CY Young guys and has a very good career fielding percentage although many question his ability.  Not a good arm and a little bit weak on defense in my book. I would say no, when I think HOF it would be a player who is at least good at everything throughout his career.  In other words an above 270 BA, good defense, good arm, good bat and decent game caller. 
    Posted by craze4sox

With the exception of amazing defenders, this is what the HOF has been diluted to?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : With the exception of amazing defenders, this is what the HOF has been diluted to?
    Posted by nhsteven

nh, I don't really like the HOF voting any more than the All Star game.  Sad to say but true.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Another poster brought up a very good point about players getting into the HOF, IMO.  The HOF should be a very distinct honor reserved for the truly elite players.   If people have to debate and try to convince others that someone belongs in the HOF, is he truly a HOFer?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : I've read about him, checked his offensive & defensive stats, and drew conclusions; something you're likely deficient at, amongst all your other qualities.  Did you know that 19 Negro Leaguers were inducted into the HOF a few yrs ago primarily based on a book?  While we're at it, perhaps your namesake Babe Ruth s--ked, after all, we didn't see him play. Yet another brilliant observation by the master of them. In your lame attempts to bait, you seem to be proficient at shooting yourself in the foot.

Posted by nhsteven

I'm not baiting, just saying it's pretty hard to justify your ranking when you haven't even seen them play. Defensive stats for those days are somewhat skewed, obviously due to inferior equipment and playing surfaces, etc. But why let any of this get in your way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : I'm not baiting, just saying it's pretty hard to justify your ranking when you haven't even seen them play. Defensive stats for those days are somewhat skewed, obviously due to inferior equipment and playing surfaces, etc. But why let any of this get in your way.
    Posted by The---Babe---

I said it was my personal ranking, and all rankings are debateable. I thought I made that clear. Again, check my comment about the Negro Leaguers; they had only some sparse stats, the rest was hearsay in a book; yet were inducted in the HOF on this scant evidence alone. That sounds more significant than some poster's subjective ranking. Also, your excuse about neanderthal defensive stats is a bunch of BS, and was only spurred on by my response. You should have not missed your CAT scan check for dementia. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : VMART has/will have better numbers than Parish/Simmons. Keep in mind, his career is still going strong. You have to project his stats over the next 4 years. The reason for the HOF threads? I didn't start the Tek one, but posters were in agreement Tek didn't have the offensive numbers to sniff the HOF. Now I see that VMART doesn't have the credibility either, despite the fact he's a .300 hitter. Currently, only Mauer is among that elite status, and Mauer could very well be in the HOF. So, why not VMART? If voters won't consider VMART as a legit entry due to his defensive drawbacks, how can they not consider Tek since he's the polar opposite in that same area?
    Posted by harness

Vmart only has 137 home runs and he is 32 years old.  I highly doubt he is going to have numbers comparable to Simmons and there is no way he hits 300 homers.  Parrish had over 300 and 3 gold gloves.  It isn't even close.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : The RS may regret that trade in the long haul; he's downright nasty, with a 96 MPH sinker that's a better pitch than Wang ever had apparently.
    Posted by nhsteven

He does have really good stuff.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : I said it was my personal ranking, and all rankings are debateable. I thought I made that clear. Again, check my comment about the Negro Leaguers; they had only some sparse stats, the rest was hearsay in a book; yet were inducted in the HOF on this scant evidence alone. That sounds more significant than some poster's subjective ranking. Also, your excuse about neanderthal defensive stats is a bunch of BS, spurred on by my response. You should have not missed your CAT scan check for dementia. 

Posted by nhsteven

LOL...so you are saying there hasn't been any improvements in equipment and field maintenance in 50 yrs??!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : This is clearly the best post on this thread. What grabs my attention is that several think Parrish deserves to be in the HOF. Comparing his OPS with Tek's, the real difference is era and power. OTOH, Parrish doesn't have the accolades Tek has. Nor does VMART. Championships won at most every level. No-hitters caught. If Parrish warrants attention, it should open the door for others.
    Posted by harness

But the home run difference is huge.  HUGE.  Here is a list of top homers by catchers when playing catcher.  Also again Parrish had three gold gloves and 8 all star appearances. You are comparing apples and oranges man.

396 Mike Piazza (427)
    351 Carlton Fisk (376)
    326 Johnny Bench (389)
    305 Yogi Berra (358) 
    299 Lance Parrish (324)
    298 Gary Carter (324)
    298 Ivan Rodriguez (305)
    243 Javy Lopez (260)
    239 ROY CAMPANELLA (242)
    233 Jorge Posada (243)
    232 Gabby Hartnett (236)
    213 Benito Santiago (217)
    200 Bill Dickey (202)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : LOL...so you are saying there hasn't been any improvements in equipment and field maintenance in 50 yrs??!!!
    Posted by The---Babe---

Certainly has; but you detract. That goes for Babe's hitting, too. 
    I said it was a subjective ranking. To argue this is infantile, and Not a surprise. If you want to check modern stats, I suggest you recheck your police blotter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe---. Show The---Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Certainly has; but you detract. That goes for Babe's hitting, too.  I said it was a subjective ranking. To argue this is infantile, and Not a surprise. If you want to check modern stats, I suggest you recheck your police blotter.

Posted by nhsteven

Yes, that goes for everyone's hitting. Did you notice the mitts they used back when the Babe and Cobb were playing?

Sections
Shortcuts