Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er?

In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Yes, that goes for everyone's hitting. Did you notice the mitts they used back when the Babe and Cobb were playing?
    Posted by The---Babe---[/QUOTE]

Who hasn't?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : But the home run difference is huge.  HUGE.  Here is a list of top homers by catchers when playing catcher.  Also again Parrish had three gold gloves and 8 all star appearances. You are comparing apples and oranges man. 396  Mike Piazza  (427) 351  Carlton Fisk  (376) 326  Johnny Bench  (389) 305  Yogi Berra  (358)  299  Lance Parrish  (324) 298  Gary Carter  (324) 298  Ivan Rodriguez  (305) 243  Javy Lopez  (260) 239 ROY CAMPANELLA (242) 233  Jorge Posada  (243) 232  Gabby Hartnett  (236) 213  Benito Santiago  (217) 200  Bill Dickey  (202)
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

Homeruns are but one facet of their game.
    .300 hitting catchers are rare as hell. Power-hitting catchers aren't.
    How many on that list are .300 hitters lifetime?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Umm no.  He'll go down as a very good hitter that was once a catcher when all is said and done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Homeruns are but one facet of their game. .300 hitting catchers are rare as hell. Power-hitting catchers aren't. How many on that list are .300 hitters lifetime?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

About half, but I think normalized OPS & RBIs portray a more complete offensive picture. (Less baserunning, which is usually not a factor here)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I find it interesting that Parrish's offensive numbers are no better than Tek's. The HR/AB ratio favors Parrish, but it's outweighed by OBP & OPS, which favor Tek.
    As I just mentioned on the Tek HOF thread, if Parrish gets in, Tek gets in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : What don't you get about SBs being more on the pitcher. Players run not because they can steal on him but because they can steal on the pitchers who don't hold the runners close and don't use the slide step. If you paid attention at all, there's a large percentage of those stolen bases where no catcher would have a chance. An example is a SB in the last game Tek caught. He had a quick release, a perfect throw and nearly had the runner. But it took all that to make it close as the runner got a huge jump on the pitcher. You can be stubborn all you want and igore that fact, but any professional scouting report will tell you that is the biggest reason for the stolen bases against the Red Sox.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Great post.  Stubborn he is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Great post.  Stubborn he is.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Others define it differently.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Umm no.  He'll go down as a very good hitter that was once a catcher when all is said and done.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

Interesting interpretation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Victor Martinez a HOF'er? : Homeruns are but one facet of their game. .300 hitting catchers are rare as hell. Power-hitting catchers aren't. How many on that list are .300 hitters lifetime?

Actually since Parrish is 5th all time in home runs by catchers I would say his home run skills for that position are pretty rare.  

I do get your point though if Vmart continues to hit at 301 his BA would make him 7th all time in catchers.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I agree. But in the analogy, I'd take OPS/OBP if I had to choose which carries more value to team. Tek has always been about team. Hence the "C".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]I agree. But in the analogy, I'd take OPS/OBP if I had to choose which carries more value to team. Tek has always been about team. Hence the "C".

yeah I just amended my post above about BA. I didn't realize how high Vmart ranked for catchers all time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

That's why the topic is relevant. Will VMART be seen in a catcher's light?
    If so, judging by his offensive numbers alone, he could be a valid candidate.