Is Youk Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Is Youk Done?

He's hitting just .267 and although the HRs aren't bad, he's htting just .216 so far in August, and .213 since the AS break.
    Another strartling stat is a .191 AVG on the road this year.
    He seems to be more prone to ailments this year, and he just may be past his prime.
    What do you think? He's under contract through next year, but do the RS look to move him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Is Youk Done?

I wanted him used as trade bait about 2 months ago. But he's the Youkster, "youk! youuuuuuuuk!" He's today's Trot Nixon, a better version albeit, but bottom line so well liked that to even bring up this thread will get you the wrath of Sox Nation. He's a productive hitter, but ever since the AGON deal, I've always felt that the Sox should go out and get a 3b at some point. Youks best position is 1b, and he will never see that spot ever again as a Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think he's hurt and I think he's being schooled by scouts. They are understanding the pattern to pitch to him. He's a taker, and he's not hitting with 2 strikes the way he has in the past. He's a solid hitter, always has been, solid. And he now takes pitches late in the counts, that he simply cannot afford to take. He's not going to get the Barry Bonds pitch is off the plate, automatic ball called treatment. Greek God or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from )))TheBabe(((. Show )))TheBabe((('s posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk Done?:
    I wanted him used as trade bait about 2 months ago. But he's the Youkster, "youk! youuuuuuuuk!" He's today's Trot Nixon, a better version albeit, but bottom line so well liked that to even bring up this thread will get you the wrath of Sox Nation. He's a productive hitter, but ever since the AGON deal, I've always felt that the Sox should go out and get a 3b at some point. Youks best position is 1b, and he will never see that spot ever again as a Sox.

Posted by dannycater

Maybe he could get a job filling in for one of these guys....

http://wrestlemania-fans.com/wrestlemaniaV/images/bushwhackers.jpg

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : Maybe he could get a job filling in for one of these guys.... http://wrestlemania-fans.com/wrestlemaniaV/images/bushwhackers.jpg
    Posted by )))TheBabe(((

Maybe you could. It'd give you something to do other than posting here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Posted by dannycater

Agree about moving him to 3B. I think the wear and tear has taken it's toll on him.
    Would have been much better to move him to LF, IMO, kept Beltre' or gotten Chavez or Callaspo to play third, and not even considered Crawford.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

alibi, I totally agree. I never got caught up in Youks' "importance" to the Sox winning or losing. He's a good player, a very good player, but one who seemed better suited for 1b. AGON gets here and it's a way to not sign Beltre, who everyone seemed to agree was a short-term guy. Why? Did anyone ever think that maybe he's worth throwing a lot of money at. He sure impressed me on offense and defense last year. A tough out in the lineup and more menacing at home due to the Monster. Why can't we have both Beltre and AGON? I'll tell you why, because the Sox think it's cool and hip to get the Flavor of the Month rather than fill the positions that need to be filled due to need. Signing a lefty OF who is duplicated in CF already was a mistake from the outset. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I can make all the right reasons to keep a Derek Lowe back before he was let go for free agency, but the Sox and adoring Theo fans will tell you how he was done as a Sox. Why? Because the Sox weren't going to pay him, instead let's give Lackey 82 million. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from )))TheBabe(((. Show )))TheBabe((('s posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : Maybe you could. It'd give you something to do other than posting here.

Posted by antibody

Except that I don't look like them and youk looks like their long lost brother.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Sorry can't afford this guy who is producing, or let's let go that other guy because he's too expensive, but then turn right around and throw brinks trucks of cash at marginal talents because again, Flavor of the Month. How do you think Lackey got signed "best pitcher available." how did Crawford get signed? "best player available on the market." Me must satisfy Sox Nation. Me must make deals for the sake of making deals. No forethought, only let's erase 2010 Bridge fast, which I think was getting AGON being more than sufficient. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No, Youk is not done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

not saying he's done at all myself, but he certainly is not an untouchable the way a lot of Sox Nation has painted him. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

To me, he's the ultimate trade bait card. A guy who can play either 1b or 3b and can get back a solid talent in trade. Whether that's a real No. 3 starter or whatever. He's a guy who is tradeable. But now, it will have to be after he has descented in worth. He is hitting worse, and showing injury-proneness. It's a bad sign. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Trade him for what, another 3rd baseman?  Because that is what we will need, and who is out there that is better than Youk?

Time to worry about getting another slugger for sure, with nobody protecting him Gonzo gets krap to hit now.    Just not sure how you replace Youk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

meister, in this case, it's too late on Youks and a trade. The time to do it has passed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

meister, in this case, it's too late on Youks and a trade. The time to do it has passed.
    Posted by dannycater

He was simply one of the best players in baseball the last 3-4 years, under a team-friendly contract, so it's little wonder they didn't give much thought to trading him.  Even this year with the struggles he's had, his OPS is higher than A-Rod's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Youk is a great candidate for the DH role in a couple years, if he wants to stay here.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Third base has been tougher, I think.

I don't think he's done.  All players go through stretches when things cool off.  He'll get back the BA. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Put Lowrie and Aviles more to spell some time off for Youk. Would not be surprised that his back is hurting. Getting hit 12 times, I'm sure some of those must have lingering pain. 13 ground in double plays tells something.

But, is Youuuuuk done: NO...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : He was simply one of the best players in baseball the last 3-4 years, under a team-friendly contract, so it's little wonder they didn't give much thought to trading him.  Even this year with the struggles he's had, his OPS is higher than A-Rod's.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

HF, I think alibi is just pointing out that this Greek God is deemed untouchable by Sox Nation, but that there were other options prior to just moving him to 3b for AGON. No doubt, he has produced, but he sure looked a lot better as a 1b, and that is no longer an option for him.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

youk, like larry bird, will age quickly because of his hard nose playing...i dont expect to see him at 3b past next year for these reasons

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

dave, could you imagine what the Sox could have gotten for Youkilis even late last year. It was a trade opportunity that was lost because too much of a love affair with Sox Nation. Fan favorites can blind the eye of the GM. And they did make the decision to move Youk to 3rd so they didn't have to pour money to Beltre, money that then went to Crawford. What a downgrade.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Everything you guys are saying in this thread that speaks to the negative aspects of Youk's game are true.  Still, I don't want to see him go.  A. Brass tacks, for his production, even in this down year, he still has a very club friendly contract, and b.  he is Youk.  If ever there was a guy that should engender some loyalty in this fickle fan base, it is kevin.  He is a Dirt Dog through and through.  I personally don't give a rats azz if his OPS isn't what it used to be or he is not the third baseman that Adrian Beltre is.  I want this guy on my Sox team.  I would hate him if he was on any other team.  And for that alone, i love him on the Sox.  I don't know.  You guys are right, we could probably get a studlier guy in here.  But not for Youk-money.  And they couldn't touch his heart.  For me, it will be a sad day if/when he is no longer in a SOx uniform.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Everything you guys are saying in this thread that speaks to the negative aspects of Youk's game are true.  Still, I don't want to see him go.  A. Brass tacks, for his production, even in this down year, he still has a very club friendly contract, and b.  he is Youk.  If ever there was a guy that should engender some loyalty in this fickle fan base, it is kevin.  He is a Dirt Dog through and through.  I personally don't give a rats azz if his OPS isn't what it used to be or he is not the third baseman that Adrian Beltre is.  I want this guy on my Sox team.  I would hate him if he was on any other team.  And for that alone, i love him on the Sox.  I don't know.  You guys are right, we could probably get a studlier guy in here.  But not for Youk-money.  And they couldn't touch his heart.  For me, it will be a sad day if/when he is no longer in a SOx uniform.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Sox could get a studlier guy, but not for Youk money Space, then they can complain about his level of play and pay

Sections
Shortcuts