Is Youk Done?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Is Youk Done?

This is also an over-reaction by the Youk For Dirt Dog of the Century parade. Alibi brings up a guy no one wants to ever talk in a negative light about, I just bring up some points about his high trade value (that's a positive, not a negative I might add) and that he is or was the most tradeable Sox in terms of receiving high value in return. You are the guys that are going off on a tangent about his greatness. I think 3b needs to also be a defensive-strong position, more of the reason I liked Beltre there. It has little to do with Youks ability to hit. I also stated very clearly that when AGON became a Sox, it ended Youkilis' days as a 1B. He may fancy himself a 3B,  but I thought he was as good a defensive 1b in all of baseball (save for Tex). I don't like guys who are out of position. He's right handed hitter, so he becomes important to the Sox. But the Sox have let go of right-handed hitters the past few years, and seem to fancy themselves either lefties or switch hitters. This is not current in that I also said I would not have jumped for the Flavor of the Month--Crawford at 142 mil if that 142 mil could have been used to not only re-sign a Beltre, but acquire a coveted SP or a slugging LF for a Youkilis, who now lost his position. It's a business, the baseball game. But again Youkilis has been put on such a pedestal that he is untouchable. I'm glad this thread exists because it's clear all the fans are blinded by the Youk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Is Youk Done?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : I hope you are right Spaceman. Just hard to see him not hitting around .300 with an OBP above .4. I also think he has too much pressure in the 4 hole. Hitting him 5th would be the ticket.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]
    All averages and OBP have been lowering in recent years it seems. Personally I like him in the 4 hole because it makes it so when we do go down 1-2-3 in the first, we have a guy with a high OBP leading off the second.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Will the Sox treat Ortiz with the type of respect he deserves. Will he be re-signed? What about Papelbon, who is throwing better than he ever has as one of the top closers in MLB? Will he be resigned? Do these guys get the Youks treatment? Untouchable? I don't think so. Ellsbury? Will find out on him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No. 

Youk is a huge value for the price, his salary, and too young to be shifted away from 3B. He is 32 and the best hitting thirdbaseman in MLB.  Oh, and he hustles on every single play. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Will the Sox treat Ortiz with the type of respect he deserves. Will he be re-signed? What about Papelbon, who is throwing better than he ever has as one of the top closers in MLB? Will he be resigned? Do these guys get the Youks treatment? Untouchable? I don't think so. Ellsbury? Will find out on him.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Not the same thing at all though.  Ortiz and Papelbon are up for new contracts.  Youk is under club control for an extremely friendly wage through 2012 or 2013.  Is he untouchable as far as a trade goes?  No.  But, seriously, who is the magic man who would be a good return on that trade?  To trade or not to trade Youk is very different from whether to sign Papelbon to the richest contract a in the history of closers, or signing Ortiz to multi-years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Will the Sox treat Ortiz with the type of respect he deserves. Will he be re-signed? What about Papelbon, who is throwing better than he ever has as one of the top closers in MLB? Will he be resigned? Do these guys get the Youks treatment? Untouchable? I don't think so. Ellsbury? Will find out on him.

Danny, Youk stated his desire to stay in Boston and signed below market value. Same with Pedroia. Papelbon has stated more than once he was looking to hit the free agent market and set the bar for closers. Ellsbury's agent is Scott Boras who will also encourage him to go to FA for top dollar. Ortiz has stated he wants to stay in Boston, but will he give them a hometown discount or sign a one year deal? The onus isn't always on the FO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Why the thread? There is no need to be concerned about Youk since he is signed to a very reasonable contract for two more years. The immediate concerns will be for what to do with Papelbon and Ortiz this coming winter when they become FAs. Let the year play out and see how all of the variables fall into place at that time. The thread title is just another attempt to start a controversial thread, much ado about nothing. Youk is playing hurt and is in a minor slump, let's not have a cow over it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

lot of people getting in an uproar that anyone even remotely discusses Youk. He's a dirt dog, and an untouchable. End of story for most of you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I didn't start this thread, by the way, for the record. I am commenting on it though. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]lot of people getting in an uproar that anyone even remotely discusses Youk. He's a dirt dog, and an untouchable. End of story for most of you.

Interesting reductionist way to frame the arguement Danny.  but its not the end of the story.  We have provided much more in our defense of Youk than dirt dog and untouchable.  And, to boot, no one on this side of the coin has mentioned untouchable.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]I wanted him used as trade bait about 2 months ago. But he's the Youkster, "youk! youuuuuuuuk!" He's today's Trot Nixon, a better version albeit, but bottom line so well liked that to even bring up this thread will get you the wrath of Sox Nation. He's a productive hitter, but ever since the AGON deal, I've always felt that the Sox should go out and get a 3b at some point. Youks best position is 1b, and he will never see that spot ever again as a Sox.

Apr, May     .218
    June           .293
    July            .283

You wanted to trade him I presume after the dismal Apr, May BA of .218

Much like most of the forum wanted to trade Ortiz after the dismal Aprils of 2010 and 2009. Maybe you aren't very patient or else you have a crystal ball.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -)TheBabe(-. Show -)TheBabe(-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : Apr, May     .218 June           .293 July            .283 You wanted to trade him I presume after the dismal Apr, May BA of .218 Much like most of the forum wanted to trade Ortiz after the dismal Aprils of 2010 and 2009. Maybe you aren't very patient or else you have a crystal ball.

Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Way to go pike....you tell him!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : Way to go pike....you tell him!!
    Posted by -)TheBabe(-[/QUOTE]
     no fair, babe, you are bandwagoning for spike...that's frontrunning...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I do think there are a mindset here that feels that Youkilis cannot be touched because of his fan base. I get it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : Interesting reductionist way to frame the arguement Danny.  but its not the end of the story.  We have provided much more in our defense of Youk than dirt dog and untouchable.  And, to boot, no one on this side of the coin has mentioned untouchable.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Cater threw out "untouchable" as if some majority ot group believes that. This is called a "strawman" argument. It is inventing a group that supports your individual opinions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

wow, now i'm inventing groups, I had no idea I was that powerful...thanks

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]wow, now i'm inventing groups, I had no idea I was that powerful...thanks
     its not power, its just a good imagination.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hey, i like that, too, space..cool

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't start this thread, by the way, for the record. I am commenting on it though. 

Actually, I think you said you would dump him in a heartbeat. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Thread was started by Alibi Gripe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : Actually, I think you said you would dump him in a heartbeat. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

nope, said I would have traded him for high value without reservation after the AGON acquisition. Also said I wanted to keep Beltre with AGON.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : nope, said I would have traded him for high value without reservation after the AGON acquisition. Also said I wanted to keep Beltre with AGON.

Glad we got that settled.  Me, I agree with Theo.  Youk is a better value--higher OPS and lower salary than Beltre, who this year seems to be riding the sick list.  This is not all bad because I think Hamilton is in LF and therefore at risk when Beltre plays. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbosley. Show mattbosley's posts

Is Youk done?  Is that a sick joke?

Sorry if I'm about to repeat other posters, but I haven't read all 6+ pages.

At the beginning of the day Kevin Youkilis lead all 3rd basemen in fWAR (4.1), wOBA (.380), OBP (.381), and was 3rd in slugging (.486).  That's for the majors.  His defense ranks about average according to UZR, but if you've been watching all year you can tell he had some hiccups at the beginning of the season and has steadily improved his game there.

Yes Youk is suffering from more wear and tear than ever before, but he's playing a more physically demanding position than he's used to.  Despite these aches and pains Youk is 5th on the team in games played and 4th in plate appearances. 

Youk has been one of the most underrated players in the game the last few years to everyone but Red Sox nation.  It saddens me that just because he isn't putting up MVP type numbers people here think he's done.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbosley. Show mattbosley's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Youk Done? : nope, said I would have traded him for high value without reservation after the AGON acquisition. Also said I wanted to keep Beltre with AGON.

I'd have been OK with this as long as Youk brought back an elite pitcher.  I'm not sure I would have traded him in season any year but last year (if he wasn't hurt) because his versatility was too important when we had Lowell sucking it up a few years too long and needed to get Victor PAs at 1B.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from novaredsox. Show novaredsox's posts

What inane thread is next?
    Is Theo a Yankee mole?
    Will Jim Rice make a comeback?
    Is Lester on the trading block?
    Can Heidi play third?

Sections
Shortcuts